PDA

View Full Version : Books into Movies ... anyone read The Hunger Games

Karen
11-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I loved these books, a quick read, pretty engrossing, and really gave a good feel for the atmosphere and characters.

They recently released the trailer for it, and I was very disappointed. I was a tad worried when I saw they had cast Jennifer Lawrence, but thought, well sometimes actors can transform themselves for a role. But if you have read the books, what did you think when you saw the trailer?

My immediate impression was I dislike it even more than I expected to. Everyone looked well-fed and clean and healthy, far too much for people living on the brink of starvation ... what did you think?

Besides JL being way too old to look a convincing 15 ... she seemed to have absolutely none of Katniss' toughness or edge or determination.

Whereas I have seen a few pictures and the trailer for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and while I have been told the movies leave out a pretty major character in the book, at least Rooney Mara looks thin, somewhat androgynous and wary - which fits the character Lisbeth.

finn's mom
11-27-2011, 02:46 PM
I have several bookworm friends and relatives, and I use that term with LOVE, because I only wish I could devour books like they do! I haven't heard what they've thought of the trailer, but i know they loved the books. I'd like to read them!

Karen
11-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Do read them, they are really good, and a fast read. I bet your library will have them! You might have to reserve to be able to read them in the correct order, but maybe not!

Roxyluvsme13
11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
One of my friends is totally obsessed with the Hunger Games, she made my roommate read them, and I'm borrowing the first book over Christmas break. I've seen the trailer, but was really confused. I'll give my opinion after reading the book!

Karen
11-27-2011, 04:56 PM
One of my friends is totally obsessed with the Hunger Games, she made my roommate read them, and I'm borrowing the first book over Christmas break. I've seen the trailer, but was really confused. I'll give my opinion after reading the book!

Try to wipe the trailer from your mind, and enjoy the books! I think they assumed everyone seeing the trailer had already read the books and was familiar with the story, because it is pretty befuddling if you haven't!

jennielynn1970
11-27-2011, 06:06 PM
I feel guilty... I'm a librarian, and I could NOT get into the books. I bought them myself for our middle school library last year, and tried to read the first one. Couldn't get into it. Tried again. Nope. Just not my cup of tea. Won't watch the movies either. I loved the Twilight series, but do not like the movies. Just me. I prefer books to the movies made out of them.

Hope those who read The Hunger Games and watch the movies do like them, I've heard a lot good about them, but, like I said, they are just not for me.

Has anyone read the series The Forest of Hands and Teeth?? Now that one I could get my teeth (ha!) into. Might be interested in a movie of that one, but not sure.

Karen
11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I'll have to see if the library has that one ...

finn's mom
12-10-2011, 07:20 AM
I will probably read the books at some point. I thought the trailer looked great, and am not sure which character you were referring to, Karen, but I thought the girl that volunteers to be in the Hunger Games, I thought she looked about 16. I don't know about the whole starvation thing, as the trailer I saw looked to be before the games started, and showed the very start of the games. I'll look around and see if I see another trailer. The trailer made me want to see the movie, though, for sure.

finn's mom
12-10-2011, 07:28 AM
I just saw a short trailer that just showed the girl in the woods . . . she definitely looks healthy in that, maybe it was the beginning of the games? Of course, I have NO idea if they were already unhealthy before the games haha. I'm really excited about the movie! I will ask for the books for Christmas. :)

pomtzu
12-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm hoping to get a Kindle for Christmas, and Hunger Games will be my first book if I do! If I like it, then I will get the other 2 that follow.

Karen
03-24-2012, 06:18 PM
I saw the movie yesterday, and while it was okay, they definitely did not do the book justice. Katniss and her family, in the books, face starvation on a regular basis, and while she supplements what little they have with hunting when she can, there's no way they would look quite that healthy at the outset. And I was surprised they just eliminated a whole character and didn't explain the history of the Mocking-jays at all, in the book it is given to her by her only female friend, and it had originally belonged to that girls' aunt, not some random old lady in the marketplace.

They let out so much back story, and while the acting was fine, so much was toned down for the movie. I expected Cinna, for example, to be much more flamboyant, Effie Trinket doesn't even get her name introduced, I don't think, it doesn't mention the herbs Katniss collects for her mother, or that her mother does any healing of people ...

An okay movie, but pales in comparison to the books, especially in the sharpness of many of the characters.

Sowa
03-24-2012, 07:02 PM
I have read the first book, and I felt the same as you when I saw the trailer. I'm going to see the movie tomorrow night and I'm curious if it will live up to the book at all. I heard it's suppose to follow the book story very closely so it may turn out good.

I had pictured katniss and some of the other characters differently in my head then how they cast the characters. They definitely don't look to be starving.

Karen
03-25-2012, 06:42 PM
So what did you think, Sowa?

lizbud
03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
They let out so much back story, and while the acting was fine, so much was toned down for the movie. I expected Cinna, for example, to be much more flamboyant, Effie Trinket doesn't even get her name introduced, I don't think, it doesn't mention the herbs Katniss collects for her mother, or that her mother does any healing of people ...

I've not read the book, but have read quite a few reviews of the movie and they are generally good. I understand quite a bit was left
out of the movie for brevity & censors issues(blood & violence). They wanted the movie rated to include the younger teen audience.
The movie as it is is 2 1/2 hours long, isn't it?

Karen
03-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I've not read the book, but have read quite a few reviews of the movie and they are generally good. I understand quite a bit was left
out of the movie for brevity & censors issues(blood & violence). They wanted the movie rated to include the younger teen audience.
The movie as it is is 2 1/2 hours long, isn't it?

Some of it I knew would be left out for censorship reasons, in terms of the blood and gore, which is expected. But they cut out a lot of the background which, in the book, gave depth to the characters, and helped you understand them. You don't get any real idea, for example, how desperate the lives of Katniss and her family are, or why she's so protective of her sister ...

Sowa
03-26-2012, 07:48 PM
So what did you think, Sowa?

I liked it. After I got into the movie I actually felt the actress did pretty well with Katniss, other then not seeming hungry enough. I really felt that they didn't capture that part like the book. For example, the time spent in the capitol before the games, they always talked about how much food there was, and how amazing it was to have such a selection etc. I really didn't feel the hungry was actually a serious problem in the movie, which is too bad.

I wish we got to know Rue a little more, since she was more involved in the book. Also...I don't think that riot happened in the book, did it? For Rues section? And they gave Katniss some bread or something.

Other then that it good. Oh, and the guy at the end...that didn't happen in book 1. I don't believe they even mentioned his name in the book.

Karen
03-26-2012, 09:23 PM
I liked it. After I got into the movie I actually felt the actress did pretty well with Katniss, other then not seeming hungry enough. I really felt that they didn't capture that part like the book. For example, the time spent in the capitol before the games, they always talked about how much food there was, and how amazing it was to have such a selection etc. I really didn't feel the hungry was actually a serious problem in the movie, which is too bad.

I wish we got to know Rue a little more, since she was more involved in the book. Also...I don't think that riot happened in the book, did it? For Rues section? And they gave Katniss some bread or something.

Other then that it good. Oh, and the guy at the end...that didn't happen in book 1. I don't believe they even mentioned his name in the book.

They did mention the riots, but not as much in book one as the other books. And yes, I remember Cato from the book, they did change the ending a bit though, and I liked the book's version better.