PDA

View Full Version : Clover is getting spayed Dec 2nd

Sowa
11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
I know everyone says this, but I'm so worried about her getting this surgery. I wish she didn't need it, but I know it's best for her. I feel she'll think I'm abandoning her and she'll be scared in her kennel. I don't want her to have a negative experience and be afraid of people after this.

I know I'm being paranoid and it's a very simple surgery they do ALL the time. I'm mostly worried she'll be scared or feel abandoned.

Can the surgery cause her to become aggressive after? Or not be friendly? Or anything? I read that it can help them NOT become aggressive but I seem to remember reading somewhere about it changing personalities or something. I am getting the surgery done anyway, I just want to know what to expect.

Sorry to be a little crazy. I imagine the day she is in (she needs to stay overnight :() that I'll make myself sick with worry.

luvofallhorses
11-22-2011, 02:56 PM
It will NOT make her aggressive or afraid of people. My dogs never changed behaviors after being fixed, they were their same goofy selves in a few days. She'll be just fine. :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Lily's behavior didn't change after she was spayed, so I'm sure Clover will be fine. She'll be much healthier and happier after she's spayed! :)

sasvermont
11-22-2011, 03:12 PM
When I had Prue spayed about a year ago, I dropped her off at 8AM and picked her up at noon, the same day. She slept the rest of the day and was fine the next day. They closed her up with self dissolving stitches so she didn't even need a follow up. She had an E collar overnight but kept away from her incision, so even that E collar went away.

You might want to ask the vet if it is necessary for her to spend the night.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Also, Prue was happy to go back to the vet the next time, as they give her treats galore.

Her personality did not change. She stayed a PUP for another 10 months.

luvofallhorses
11-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Some vets are more comfortable with having them stay the night to monitor them. But I am not sure if this is a 24 hour clinic? If it's not, that would concern me just having surgery and then put in a kennel. Ask if you can bring her home, it's really not neccesary for them to stay the night unless their spay or neuter was rough but it shouldn't be on her since she's a pup and probably would just be a normal routine spay. :) My dogs always came home the same night except Dixie.

Taz_Zoee
11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Awww, I know how you feel. I was so worried when my Zoee got spayed. Although she didn't have to stay over night. Her personality didn't change....then again she was only 4 months when it was done.

Its perfectly normal to worry. Just try to keep yourself busy so the time will go by faster. :)

Sowa
11-22-2011, 04:03 PM
That's a good point, it isn't a 24 hr clinic. They told me on the phone they wanted her to stay so they could check on her in the morning. I never thought about it too much, but yeah I would rather her be with me so at least I know she is safe and not left alone.

chocolatepuppy
11-22-2011, 04:35 PM
My dogs all came home the same day. It's hard to leave them behind, but I'm sure the people working there will love her company and she will be fine.
I know, I worried too.;)

luvofallhorses
11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
If it's not a 24 hour clinic, I would ask if you can bring her home after her spay to heal. It's not really fair for her to be left alone overnight in a kennel if there are no staff there. :)

happylabs
11-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I know it is very difficult to not worry but she will do fine. I have had 3 or more Labs spayed over the years. My dogs haven't had any negative effects from the surgery. The vet will make sure she is safe and comfortable and I know my vet's office has vet techs come in during the evening to check on the patients.

She will probably be a little sleepy when you bring her home. Just make sure you don't feed her or give her too much water right away when you bring her home or she may get sick. They will tell you to keep her calm and quiet for a day or so.

Sowa
11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
If it's not a 24 hour clinic, I would ask if you can bring her home after her spay to heal. It's not really fair for her to be left alone overnight in a kennel if there are no staff there. :)

Yeah I'm going to ask them about that. I've heard other clinics let you take them home the same day. I know the vet here that is doing the surgery and I trust her to take the best care of Clover. She's been with me for all I've been through with Josie and Kiba. She was very patient and understanding.

dab_20
11-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Good luck to you and fast healing for Clover! She'll do fine I'm sure! I would also ask if you can take her home. If its not a 24 hour clinic, its no necessary to keep her there alone all night. My dogs personality didn't change at all... Except for being scared of the vets!

Sowa
11-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Oh I have another question. I have to go downstairs to get to where I live. Maybe 15 steps or so. I'm thinking this might be painful for her when she just has the surgery. Do you think it will still be ok for her to come home the day of her operation? She'd need to go up/down any time she needs to pee. I don't want her to be in pain. I also don't want her to be left alone in a clinic all night in case something happens. What do you all think? Is she ok to go downstairs?

Karen
11-23-2011, 12:27 AM
As long as you take it at a slower than normal pace, she ought to be fine. No bounding up and barreling down the stairs ... and if it makes you feel better, see if you can leave a favorite toy or blanket that smells like you and like home with her for when she wakes up.

Scooter's Mom
11-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Please make sure that the vet gives you pain medication for her. Sometimes they don't. It can be an extra charge, but is worth it to make sure the pet doesn't have any discomfort. I know I don't really have to remind any of the Pet Talk parents of this, but I know some people IRL who have opted not to have the pet pain meds and it makes me so angry...

I know she will do fine. All the pets I've had spayed have been fine. It doesn't make us worry any less, though. ((Hugs)) for you and her.

sasvermont
11-23-2011, 09:17 AM
When Prue was spayed, she had trouble with the steps at the Vet's but managed eventually. I have 15 steps into my house, plus porch steps to get to the front door. Prue did fine with them the following day.

The following day she acted as though she had never had surgery. I kept her quiet for the required amount of days. That was difficult as she was still pretty young (7 months).

She did have pain meds before coming home, thus the trouble with seeing to get up and down the steps. She made the steps, just much more slower than usual.

Relax. She'll be fine. Of course there are exceptions but in general - no problems. Oh, one more thing: I asked the vet to give her the lightest dose of "knock out" - as I read that Tibetan Terriers do not do well under an anesthetic. I don't remember which anesthetic the Vet gave her, but it was noted on her chart. I don't know if that is an issue for your dog's breed.

It will be fine. I promise.

I worried like hell for the few hours she was gone. I hate putting a pet through pain. It was necessary as far as I was concerned, as I did not want to breed her etc.

Speaking of dogs, mine needs to go out. She stands and looks at me..... with her sad face. And it's snowing like crazy here now. Which translates to a dog filled with snow pack on her body and legs and then the big MELT!

Dogs! I love them so.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-23-2011, 10:45 AM
No need to worry, sweet Clover girl will be totally fine! :) She will live a much happier, healthier life after she's been spayed.

She should be totally fine with going up and down stairs. Just make sure you keep her quiet for a week or so after her surgery. No running, jumping, rough-housing (either with you or other dogs), and just general roughness with her. Make sure you have them get you all set up with an E-collar (cone of shame) as well. Odds are she'll want to get at her sutures! And it's never a good thing when they pull them out themselves!:eek: Yes, they will offer you pain medication and plus or minus antibiotics, but some clients decline them.:( I'm all for pain control it's not even funny! If the procedure would be considered painful to you, it WILL BE painful to them as well! No baths until after her sutures are removed (if not absorbable sutures, 10-14 days is when they are removed). Make sure to not feed her 12 hours prior to dropping her off, so food the night before but no food/water the morning of her procedure! (But your veterinarian will tell you their hospitals policy!) :)

Sowa
11-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I called them today and asked if she'd be able to come home the same day. She said I could put a request in with the vet and if she does well in the surgery and the vet feels she's OK to go home then I can come get her.

I think they do this so people don't freak out in the middle of the night and call them?

Sowa
12-02-2011, 08:49 AM
I took Clover in this morning her her Spay :( I worried ALL night about it. The vet office just called me and said she is out of surgery and did fine. She's sleeping now. They said they'll let me know later if she can come home. I told them I don't want her alone from 5:30pm til 7 or 8 am the next day. She'd pee in her kennel and have to sleep in it all night. They said she'd just sleep anyway. I said I'll keep her in a kennel and just let her out to pee. I'd be so much more comfortable having her with me. I miss her and can't wait to give her a hug and kiss. I hope she's not too mad at me for having her go through all this. :(

happylabs
12-02-2011, 10:27 AM
I took Clover in this morning her her Spay :( I worried ALL night about it. The vet office just called me and said she is out of surgery and did fine. She's sleeping now. They said they'll let me know later if she can come home. I told them I don't want her alone from 5:30pm til 7 or 8 am the next day. She'd pee in her kennel and have to sleep in it all night. They said she'd just sleep anyway. I said I'll keep her in a kennel and just let her out to pee. I'd be so much more comfortable having her with me. I miss her and can't wait to give her a hug and kiss. I hope she's not too mad at me for having her go through all this. :(

Glad she did well. She will be so happy to see you that she will forget all about being at the vet. If they let you take her home, do keep her calm and not let her jump up onto anything. She will be a tired girl.

chocolatepuppy
12-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Good to hear Clover did well.:) I hope she can come home tonight. By tomorrow, you will have your hands full, if she's anything like my pups, she'll be ready to run just like nothing ever happened.;)

sasvermont
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Prue never exhibited any anger etc. from her visit to the Vet for spaying. They sleep through most of it and the pain begins when the meds wear off at home. She may not like the Ecollar if they give her one. I like the soft blue ones, but some dogs would just chew the collar right off. Most vets use the hard plastic collars. Dogs usually hate them and can't wait for them to come off.

As I mentioned before, Prue did not bother her incision site at all, so I let her go without the collar. I was home with her for the first few days, so she was not alone with the temptation.

I hope all runs smoothly for you. Give her a couple of days of being lazy and then a few of being quiet, and she'll be fine, I promise.

Paws crossed.

luvofallhorses
12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Glad she did well. Dogs are so resilient, she won't be mad at you. :) None of my dogs cared when we had them fixed, so she will be fine. A little sore, but fine! :)

Sowa
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Do you think she'll be sleepy all day today? I'm going to have to keep her upstairs in a kennel, and she'll likely whine if she's not sleepy. I don't want to leave her up there but I figure there stairs will be too much for her. If I have her upstairs then she can just go outside to pee, it would be right there, no stairs. Do you think after today she'll be ok to make it down stairs?

Alysser
12-02-2011, 02:17 PM
I would have her avoid stairs for at least two days as a precaution! Clover will get over it, trust me, she'll be back to her old ways within 4 days! :p I really hope she gets to go home tonight with you. Keep us updated!

Sowa
12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I doubt I can avoid it for more then today. I live in the basement but I CAN keep her upstairs if she's just going to sleep. She'd be alone, and she doesn't like to be alone at all so if she's awake she'll want to be with us and probably wouldn't understand why she's locked up by herself. :( I guess she'll have to manage one way or the other lol. I'll have to see how alert she is I guess :D

My first Lab used to go down the stairs at my old place and jump half way and yelp but it never seemed to bother her. She was VERY hyper though. Clover is a little more calm and I can make sure she takes the stairs slow! I'll keep her in the room with me to keep her calm.

I'm a little anxious waiting to hear from the Vet. They're going to call around now to tell me if she can come home tonight!

Karen
12-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Yes, it's most likely that once she's fully recovered from the anesthesia, she'll want to run and bounce pretty quickly, and that's the hardest part, restraining her from that! She is a Lab, after all!

Sowa
12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
The vet strongly recommended she stay over night :( She said she wants to check her in the morning to be sure she is ok and everything. I guess she will sleep all night...I really don't want to leave her but I trust the vet.

Roxyluvsme13
12-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I really don't understand why they wouldn't let her come home with you, every vet clinic here lets you bring your dog home the same day unless there are complications from the surgery or something, and I'm assuming Clover's was fine, so they really have no reason to have kept her.

On the bright side, you will see your beautiful girl in the morning and she will probably be perkier and less groggy and ready to see you!

Also, Lily had to be carried down the stairs after her spay, but on her second or third day after, she was ready to go down them herself, even though it was a little painful for her, so I'm sure Clover will be stair ready soon :).

Freedom
12-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Clover will be fine. When Lacey was spayed, she slept for almost 36 hours! She came home the same day and I had no idea she was just going to sleep, he heee. (I laugh now, back 5 years ago I was a bit worried.) This will allow the vet to ensure that the anesthetic is completely out of her system before sending her home.

Most vets here do let the dog / puppy go home same day, but I know a few who insist the dog stay overnight.

When you pick her up, ask for pain meds for 3 to 5 days for her. For the girls, this is invasive surgery. The pain meds DO help quite a bit. These also may make her sleepy, but your big concern just now is that she does NOT lick those sutures! And of course you don't want her in pain either.

Hang in there, she will be home tomorrow and soon be back to her old self!

Sowa
12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I think most other places here allow the dogs to go home same day. I sorta think they keep them so people don't call in the middle of the night panicking for no reason? I don't know maybe they're extra careful. I've been going to this vet for a long time now, and she is a friend of my moms so I trust her if she says it's best for her. Though I probably still would have taken her home but my BF said it's best for her...:rolleyes:

I miss her so much, I can't wait to see her tomorrow morning. I'll definitely ask for pain meds, though I think they're pretty good for that.

I'll be home with her pretty much all the time this week so I'll get to keep a close eye on her. She may need a cone if she licks!

Karen
12-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Anesthesia is always a risk, and I am sure they want to watch her carefully and make sure everything is completely okay before thy send her home. And she'll likely stay calmer if she is there - less excitement and chance of ripping stitches - than she would if she were home with you!

luvofallhorses
12-02-2011, 06:14 PM
She will probably just sleep, the anestetics knock them out. I am sorry they didn't let her come home with you. :( The vet had Dixie spend the night as well before me picking her up, I did not like that one bit but they are a 24 hour clinic so it ddn't make me feel too bad. She was back to herself the next day after I picked her up. :) Clover will be OK. ((hugs))

Sowa
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Well like I said, it's not a 24 hr clinic. There won't be someone there til 7am tomorrow which is why I didn't want her to stay. I told them how I felt and they said she will just sleep and they do this with all dogs and had no troubles. They keep quiet and can be checked in the morning. I still feel very guilty for leaving her so please no "how dare you leave her" :(

Scooter's Mom
12-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Well like I said, it's not a 24 hr clinic. There won't be someone there til 7am tomorrow which is why I didn't want her to stay. I told them how I felt and they said she will just sleep and they do this with all dogs and had no troubles. They keep quiet and can be checked in the morning. I still feel very guilty for leaving her so please no "how dare you leave her" :(

(Hugs) I think we all know you love her and only want the best for her.
You are doing the best for her already by making sure she is up-to-date on her vaccinations and has been spayed. You're awesome :)

luvofallhorses
12-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Nobody is going to say that, Sowa. We all feel for you and wish your girl could be with you tonight as well. I hope 7 am comes fast for you and Clover to be together. :)

chocolatepuppy
12-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry you had to leave her.:( Morning will be here before you know it.:)

Sowa
12-03-2011, 07:32 AM
I got my sweet girl! I can't tell you how relieved I am to have her. She seems anxious though and doesnt want to sit still. She keeps whining too :( My poor girl :(

chocolatepuppy
12-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Clover will be ok. It's hard to see them uncomfortable, and hard to keep them still for a while, but it will soon be over. I'm glad you have her home!:)

luvofallhorses
12-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I am glad she is back home. :) The anestetics sometimes make them whiney, she will be ok. :)

Roxyluvsme13
12-03-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm glad your sweet girl is back home. Hope she recovers nicely and is back to her normal happy self soon!

Sowa
12-03-2011, 09:10 AM
She's drinking A LOT of water. Should I let her keep drinking or should I limit her? I imagine she didn't drink all day yesterday so she's thirsty...but I'm worried if she drinks too much she'll bloat?

I filled her bowl up with fresh water just before she came home around 9:30 (it's 11ish now) and she's already finished the bowl. I believe it's a 16 oz bowl. I filled it up again and she's still drinking.

I'm wondering if because he tummy hurts she might think it's because she's thirsty? I gave her a little food in case she's hungry. I forgot to ask if they fed her but I'm pretty sure they did.

chocolatepuppy
12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure, but if it was me, I'd give her a little water at a time for today.

sasvermont
12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I would not over-think this whole process. Relax a little. Give her some room and time to adjust to the change in her body. This is the first time she's experiencing discomfort and confusion. She may still be under the influence of the medications. If they let her leave, and she stays fairly quiet, just let her be and YOU try to relax. Often pets can sense when you are out of whack so try to relax a little.

She was without water for quite a few hours so I think she may be trying to catch up on the water intake.

Why not curl up and read a book, with her ..... watch a little TV. She and YOU need to relax and get some rest.

I am sure she will be fine.

Sowa
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Yeah, sorry to be so paranoid. I'm not sure why I'm so uptight when it comes to her. My BF says the same thing, I need to stop over thinking it. I guess I've had a very unlucky year with pets, I lost 2 precious babies within 3 months of each other. It really wasn't that long ago. I'd do anything to keep Clover safe. I just sound a little crazy :rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
12-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Yeah, sorry to be so paranoid. I'm not sure why I'm so uptight when it comes to her. My BF says the same thing, I need to stop over thinking it. I guess I've had a very unlucky year with pets, I lost 2 precious babies within 3 months of each other. It really wasn't that long ago. I'd do anything to keep Clover safe. I just sound a little crazy :rolleyes:

I can relate to this. Been there. Everything will be ok!:)

kaycountrygal
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Clover is probably just thirsty and there's nothing wrong. I know we all worry about our pets. I recall when LilGirl was spayed (such a little dog) and when I picked her up at vet, she was "out of it" because she was still very groggy. I brought her home and I think I checked on her every hour or two during the night. She would whimper a little bit from being uncomfy and I felt so bad for her but I knew she needed to be spayed and she would be ok.

I'm sure all is alright with your sweet dog. Someone suggested you curl up and read a book or watch tv with her and RELAX (smile)... sounds like good advice. Have a good day! Kay in NC

sasvermont
12-03-2011, 08:03 PM
It is so normal to worry about their welfare. We wouldn't be good pet owners if we didn't have a little worry in our day about them and what could go wrong.

Each day she will feel better and you will wonder why you ever worried. I suspect she will be wanting to run and play by Monday.

Will you need to return to have her sutures removed or are they the self-dissolving kind? Prue had the self-dissolving kind so she didn't even need a followup appointment. It was effortless for us. Thank goodness.

So worry all you want.... we all did it but probably didn't let others know!;)

She will be fine. Just wait!:cool::D

luvofallhorses
12-03-2011, 08:34 PM
You are not being paranoid, you are a good dog owner. I would be concerned if you didn't worry about her. :) How is she today?

Sowa
12-03-2011, 09:27 PM
She has the dissolving ones. So she doesn't need to go back in.

She's actually doing well. She slept for most of today. Into the evening she's getting more energetic and keeps bringing me her rope toy asking "lets tug, ok?" She's pretty much her normal self. She just wants to play. It's going to be SO hard keeping her calm for a week!

She's still incredibly thirsty though. Anytime I fill her bowl she just drinks it all. I let her drink a lot earlier but I'm holding back a little now. Letting her have little drinks here and there instead of gulping it all at once.

She's having a little difficulty going to the washroom. She usually ends up yelping a lot. It's very sad D:

Is it sad I'm making this out to sound like it was this huge complicated surgery? I think I'd explode from the stress if it was lol. :rolleyes:

I'll take some pictures of her tomorrow :D

luvofallhorses
12-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Well a spay is a big surgery, you are not over reacting atleast I don't think so. :) It will probably hurt for her to go to the bathroom for a bit. She is probably still in a bit of pain but should be ok in time. :) Also, she is probably really thirsty because the anestetics makes their tongues really dry and can cause them to thirst excessively but don't let her have too much or she will be throwing it up. :) Just make to keep her hydrated though.

Sowa
12-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Well a spay is a big surgery, you are not over reacting atleast I don't think so. :) It will probably hurt for her to go to the bathroom for a bit. She is probably still in a bit of pain but should be ok in time. :) Also, she is probably really thirsty because the anestetics makes their tongues really dry and can cause them to thirst excessively but don't let her have too much or she will be throwing it up. :) Just make to keep her hydrated though.

Ok, thanks :) Good to know that it's normal. :)

cassiesmom
12-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Yay, Clover! I'm so glad to read the surgery is over and you are home and recovering! Gentle hug for you, sweety :)

luvofallhorses
12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
You are very welcome she will be back to her old self in no time. :D

Sowa
12-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Perhaps I'm just being paranoid again, but is this normal? She was fine all night. I took her water up while she slept, and as I said through the evening I'd been monitoring how much water she had.

This morning she threw up 5 times. All of her food. Looks like she didn't even chew it.

She seems fine other then that. I'm just worried there is some reason she may be throwing up. What do you think?

Also, she is kinda coughing a little bit here and there.

Sowa
12-04-2011, 09:21 AM
She threw up 2 more times. She actually seems sick now...The vet is closed. I'm worried it's bloat or something...

Sowa
12-04-2011, 10:02 AM
She's thrown up more and is now shaking. I called the ER vet like 40 mins ago and I'm getting very impatient. I'm giving them 5-10 mins before I call another vet. Will they actually throw up if they have bloat or just attempt to?

chocolatepuppy
12-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Are you waiting for the EMG vet to call back? Did they give you any advice as to whether you should bring her in?

chocolatepuppy
12-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Is she taking pain meds, maybe they're making her sick?

Roxyluvsme13
12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
If it was bloat, she would have had unsuccessful vomiting with maybe foam or mucous coming up.

Could be the pain medicines.

I hope she is okay though, let us know how she is doing when you get a chance!

chocolatepuppy
12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm praying for Clover. I suppose you took her to the vet as you haven't got back on PT.

Roxyluvsme13
12-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm praying for Clover. I suppose you took her to the vet as you haven't got back on PT.
I second that!

luvofallhorses
12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Some dogs do throw up after surgery. But she shouldn't be throwing up so much. Is she taking any meds? I would take her to the vet, keep caling the E-vet.

Sowa
12-04-2011, 02:39 PM
I just got home from the ER vet. I ended up going to the vet college because it took over an hour for my vet to call. I can't tell you how upset I was. (It was over an hour but I had already taken her into the college by this point)

They were very nice. It just took FOREVER. 4 hours + we were there.

We still have no idea what's wrong. They feel she's reacting to the pain from her spay. She said she was shocked to find out they didn't give me pain meds for her. I even asked them for some like you guys suggested but they told me they gave her an injection and she'd be fine. I figured they knew what they were talking about.

I was also very upset to find out my vets emergency people are ONLY large animal vets. This really isn't acceptable. I'd love to go to the college but they're double the price. It costs over 200 for an x-ray where my clinic is 100.

The bill was racking up and I was very upset because I had no idea what was wrong, what to do, etc. I'd pay anything for her if she needs it. Problem is you have to pay when you take her home, there is no pay over time. (they do at my vet) They were talking about 600 or 700 to keep her over night for fluids and x-ray. I honestly do not have that money right now :( We just paid 250 for her spay, it's almost x-mas, I still can't find a job. Anyway the vet student that was helping the vet saw how upset I was and said "Oh, we can just take some blood, that the vet knows nothing about, and say it's for research" Basically they gave us the blood work for free and said we can pay for the medication later.

Blood work came back perfectly normal. They feel she is just in a lot of pain from the surgery. Blood work would say if she was bleeding or anything. They gave her meds to stop her from vomiting and pain meds. Also so more pain meds to take home in case we feel she needs it.

She probably threw up 10-15 times in only a few hours. She's still shaking so I have her wrapped up in a blanket and she's resting peacefully right now.

They said if she doesn't throw up anymore (she shouldn't with the meds) then she's likely just fine and was just in a lot of pain. If she continues to throw up then she's likely very sick.

I'm keeping her in my sight all day and I'll likely stay up all night to be sure she's safe. The college has people there 24 hrs so they said call back for anything at all and I can take her back in right away if need be.

I'm very upset with my vet. In the past I've always had any pet surgery done at the college. But my current vet was very good to me in my time of need with my last 2 babies who passed away that I felt she was trustworthy.

IRescue452
12-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time with this. I hope its just pain/pain meds making her sick. I had to take a large dose of ibuprofin once before finding out I don't tolerate it. I ended up being sick all weekend.

Its not uncommon for vets to be mostly large animal practice. That's where they make their money. A person with a herd of 100 cows used for meat and milk spends a lot more on care than a person with a companion dog. General vet school is mostly about the big animals and then the smaller animal courses are more elective. The best care is going to come from a specialist over a normal vet.

luvofallhorses
12-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Well I certainly hope she feels better. :) Just keep her hydrated. (((hugs)))

Sowa
12-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Well I certainly hope she feels better. :) Just keep her hydrated. (((hugs)))

She's not interested in drinking at all :( She's just layin there. They said the stuff they gave her will make her sleepy....

luvofallhorses
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
How long has she been without water? You can go get some plain pedialyte and mix it with water and put it in a syringe and give it to her in her mouth. Hydration is very important, especially since she is vomiting. It makes them really dehydrated. You can also give her some wet dog food, there is a little water content in that. I hope your baby feels better soon, sorry she is sick. :(

Bonny
12-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Sona I am so sorry to read about Clover. Keeping her hydrated is very important. When I had Missy spayed 4 years ago her veterinary told us not to give her any solids for a good 48 hours after the surgery but plenty of water. She also had pain medicine. On the third day we gave her some solids & she threw them up. By the fourth day she held her solids down. The anesthesia takes a time to wear off & even humans can get sick from it. Peeing is a lot easier then having a bowel movement which can sometimes cause straining too. I am sorry you & Clover are having to go through this. I was a nervous wreck before, during, & after Missy's surgery. (((HUGS))) for you both.

Roxyluvsme13
12-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Poor Clover :(.

I'm kind of surprised the vet didn't give you pain meds either. Our vet didn't give Lily any when she was spayed also, saying she didn't need it, but I'm pretty sure she could have used them too. It's a major surgery for goodness sakes!

I hope it is only the pain that she is reacting to and she settles down and rests easy.

Give her some hugs from all of us PTers and both of you relax and try to take things easy. (((HUGS)))

lizbud
12-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Sona I am so sorry to read about Clover. Keeping her hydrated is very important. When I had Missy spayed 4 years ago her veterinary told us not to give her any solids for a good 48 hours after the surgery but plenty of water. She also had pain medicine. On the third day we gave her some solids & she threw them up. By the fourth day she held her solids down. The anesthesia takes a time to wear off & even humans can get sick from it. Peeing is a lot easier then having a bowel movement which can sometimes cause straining too. I am sorry you & Clover are having to go through this. I was a nervous wreck before, during, & after Missy's surgery. (((HUGS))) for you both.

Good advice. There's no need to rush with solid food right away, in fact
it could cause her to throw up. Water is reasonable if she is already awake.
It does take time for the anesthesia to leave her system. I too am surprised
they didn't send home a least a few pain pills for her.

Sowa
12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
They told us she can resume normal eating when I took her home :( I've been sick all day with worry. She's not showing any interest in anything right now. She won't drink. I don't want to force her. She seems fairly comfortable sleeping. She's wrapped in a warm blanket cause she was cold. I just wish it was tomorrow so if she needs more tests I can get her in. I hate not knowing if she's ok. They said it's normal for her to be so sleepy with the meds they gave her...

lizbud
12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
They told us she can resume normal eating when I took her home :( I've been sick all day with worry. She's not showing any interest in anything right now. She won't drink. I don't want to force her. She seems fairly comfortable sleeping. She's wrapped in a warm blanket cause she was cold. I just wish it was tomorrow so if she needs more tests I can get her in. I hate not knowing if she's ok. They said it's normal for her to be so sleepy with the meds they gave her...

If Clover is resting comfortably right now, just let her be & sit down
and read a book or make a call, or watch tv. Try to relax & think positive
thoughts. You'll both be better for it.:)

luvofallhorses
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Her poor little body probably needs to rest from being sick. If she doesn't eat in the morning, I would take her to the vet. You could always boil a tiny it of chicken and rice for her. They actually give pain medicine in the anestetics, not all vets send them home with pain medicine. I hope she is better soon. :love:

dab_20
12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
So sorry to hear of the hard time your having with Clover. I'm very surprised that they did not give her pain meds. I would also do the pedialyte thing Krista mentioned. Keeping her hydrated is very important. Hope everythings okay with her, keep us updated!

Sowa
12-04-2011, 07:52 PM
I took her out a few hours ago to pee. She seems weak and is having a little trouble moving around like she's in pain. She did have a good drink of water. I took her out and she peed and tried to poo. She's having a little trouble with the poo. I just took her out again and she seems very uncomfortable moving around and again tried to poo and not much came out. She had another drink and is laying down but is looking around. I'm worried she's in pain? Maybe she got a bone stuck in her some where. She was chewing last night and half of it is gone. Would I know it if she's really sick cause of the bone stuck in her? The vet said she'd try to throw up even with the anti-throw up meds if she has that problem. I'm just concerned because she just looks very sick and worried. (can dogs worry? It sure looks like worry to me)

If it's a bone stuck in her, will she be ok over night? I don't want her to stop breathing over night while I'm sleeping or something....

luvofallhorses
12-04-2011, 07:55 PM
If a bone is stuck in her and it won't come out, she could very well have blockage and I would take her in right away for it as blockage can be fatal. Only a vet would be able to tell you if she has a blockage though with x-rays.

Sowa
12-04-2011, 07:58 PM
The thing is I don't know if it's a blockage. I asked the vet about it and she says she doesn't think she does but she can't say for sure. She did blood work to be sure she wasn't bleeding anywhere. She's not. She pood fine this morning, and she did poo some this evening. She wouldn't be able to if she was blocked?

luvofallhorses
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Here are signs of blockage and you can see if she is showing signs. But I would take her to the vet, anyways first thing tomorrow.
http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/Symptoms-of-intestinal-blockage-in-dogs

Sowa
12-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Here are signs of blockage and you can see if she is showing signs. But I would take her to the vet, anyways first thing tomorrow.
http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/Symptoms-of-intestinal-blockage-in-dogs

Thanks. I'm going ot keep an eye on her over night and will be taking her in tomorrow morning if she's not any better. I'll get an x-ray

Sowa
12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/IMG_1386.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/IMG_1387.jpg

Asiel
12-04-2011, 09:16 PM
It's only been two days since she was operated. Maybe she's just feeling very tender and sleepy. I know it's hard to watch them and think the worst but by tomorrow you might see an improvement. Good luck to both of you, hope everything is back to normal very soon . I know how hard it is to worry about our dogs if they act the least bit different than they should.

Sowa
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I think my boyfriend is getting upset because of how paranoid I am :rolleyes: I ended up calling the vet again and they said she's probably fine and if i'm still worried by morning I should get an x-ray to be sure. But all her symptoms are normal considering she's recently had surgery, threw up a lot, and is on meds that make her sleepy. I think the vet maybe should have given me the shots, not Clover :o You must think I'm a little crazy. My boyfriend does :rolleyes:

luvofallhorses
12-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Not crazy at all. I would be in the same way with any of my pets! :)

Roxyluvsme13
12-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Nah, you're just a normal concerned owner, I'm sure there are a lot of owners who are a lot worse than you are, so do not feel bad about being concerned for your girl.

I am sure you will see an improvement tomorrow as others have said. Just try to get some rest and relax some, that's what Clover seems to be doing!

chocolatepuppy
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Not crazy at all. I would be in the same way with any of my pets! :)

Same here.;)

Sowa
12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
She's still not feeling well today. Made her some rice and she didn't want it. I called the vet, waiting to hear back. Likely going back for more tests. Probably won't have money for Christmas presents this year :/

happylabs
12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
She's still not feeling well today. Made her some rice and she didn't want it. I called the vet, waiting to hear back. Likely going back for more tests. Probably won't have money for Christmas presents this year :/

Oh sweetie...I am so sorry you are going through this. I didn't see these posts yesterday.

As long as she is drinking and peeing she probably just needs to mend herself.

Hoping all goes well.

Sowa
12-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I have an appointment in an hour. Going to get x-rays and maybe see about putting her on some IV fluids since she has only had maybe 2 meals since thursday night. I'll see what the vet thinks. I didn't sleep last night and I feel so sick with worry.

chocolatepuppy
12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Pawsitive thoughts and prayers for Clover and {{{hugs}}} for you.

sasvermont
12-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I hope all runs smoothly a the vet with the Xray.

Most spayings run smoothly. I was surprised to hear you are having problems.

I think my Vet told me not to feed my dog the first day. I don't recall any advice about water etc. My dog did have a pain shot before she came home and was very still for a couple of days.

Each dog is so different and circumstances are different.

One cannot rule out problems but they certainly are the exception to the rule for routine procedures like spaying.

I hope the xray shows nothing and that all you need to do is to keep her quiet. Dogs can go a few days without eating huge meals. But they do need food and water eventually.

Keep us posted with her updates as we are all worried, just not as much as you are, that's for sure. We all worry for our beloved furry pets.

Good luck at the vet's.

luvofallhorses
12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Well there is a risk with any surgery, the anestetics are harder on some dogs than others, even pups. I hope she checks out ok at the vets. (((hugs)))

Sowa
12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
She got an x-ray. The vet said it's a little hard to read considering she just had surgery. It shows some inflammation or something in her belly but she said that is normal for her surgery but could also show something is in there. There was an object in her stomach that she's unsure of. She said it if it is a bone or something it doesn't match all of her symptoms. She took blood work to test for pancreatitis (I'm not sure if that is the right word) She gave her a shot of penicillin, and told me to put some electrolytes in her water. So basically I still have no clue :(

chocolatepuppy
12-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I will continue to pray for your Clover. I hope still, this is not serious. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. {hugs}

Sowa
12-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I got the blood work results. She said her pancreatic levels are a little high and some antibiotics should help if it is pancreatitis. She said her protein levels are low, but could be from her age/she just had surgery. Something about her white blood cells are off, like showing inflammation I believe. She said that sorta goes with her surgery too so it's hard to say.

Also, I shouldn't give her tarter busters to chew on again. So can someone help me out here? I need a good chew toy for her that is SAFE. No breaking off bits that will get stuck in her belly. Has to be something she can get a good chew from. She is a Lab and LOVES to chew.

dab_20
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I got the blood work results. She said her pancreatic levels are a little high and some antibiotics should help if it is pancreatitis. She said her protein levels are low, but could be from her age/she just had surgery. Something about her white blood cells are off, like showing inflammation I believe. She said that sorta goes with her surgery too so it's hard to say.

Also, I shouldn't give her tarter busters to chew on again. So can someone help me out here? I need a good chew toy for her that is SAFE. No breaking off bits that will get stuck in her belly. Has to be something she can get a good chew from. She is a Lab and LOVES to chew.

I would do the antibiotics, otherwise keep an eye on her and I bet she'll feel better within a few days. Healing kisses for Clover! Poor girl, I hope whatever is in her stomach will digest and pass through.

I would do a Kong type of toy with little bumps or pokey things on them to promote teeth cleaning. They last awhile for the most determined of chewers!

Roxyluvsme13
12-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Poor Clover girl! I'm so sorry she's having such a rough time with this :(.

Kongs are good! Also... maybe a raw bone? I'm not sure if those would break off into pieces, though some of them are digestible I think... Don't quote me on that, not a raw bone expert. Maybe a nylabone? Though I think that those might break off into pieces if chewed on enough, but maybe not. Sorry, I'm not being very helpful :o

robinh
12-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Been checking to see how she's doing. Sorry she's having such a hard time. Hope she get better soon. My Molly always has trouble with anesthesia - she gets sick every time.

Kongs are great. If she's a champion chewer like my Woofie, just watch them to make sure she doesn't chew off pieces. We give his Dental Kong a haircut at least once a week. The specialty pet store where we get our dog food sells deer antlers for dogs to chew on. Clerk said they are harder than bones and don't splinter like bones do. And dogs love to gnaw on them.

luvofallhorses
12-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Raw marrow bones would be good, they are less likely to splinter than cooked bones. I hope your sweetie is feeling better soon! Kongs are good too, get a big black one those are the most durable. The Galileo bone is good too.
They are VERY durable.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750577

Sowa
12-05-2011, 08:05 PM
First of all, I really want to thank everyone for giving us their best wishes and thinking of us. I just noticed how many people have been responding and I'm very grateful. It's very comforting knowing I have a place I can go to and talk about my dog with people who understand how much she means to me. I really don't think some of the people in my life truly understand how much a dog can mean to a person.

That being sad, I'd like to update a little on how Clover is feeling tonight. She certainly seems to be a tiny bit better at least. She has a long way to go but she seems a little more alert and actually got up on her own to go outside which she hasn't done yet.

She's still not eating rice, kibble or anything else. I went out and got her a little wet food. I'm sure that's not great for an upset tummy but I really wanted her to eat just a little. I gave her a small amount, but not all at once because she really wanted to inhale it! I've decided to just give her a little bit for tonight. I also gave her the water/electrolyte stuff the vet gave us.

There is only ONE thing I'm still concerned about at this time. That is her belly is a little bigger then normal. It's pretty round, like where her stomach is, and kinda the area where her rib cage is. She's hasn't been able to poop today either. She tried, but nothing happens. She hasn't had a lot to eat though at all. Vet said she didn't see any feces from the x-ray.

She's laying down now, but not sleeping. I'm worried about her belly...she hasn't had enough to eat for it to get that way.

luvofallhorses
12-05-2011, 08:10 PM
She could be bloated from not eating/drinking. You can try to give her some pumpkin (not the pie mix) and see if that helps her go. :) You can just mix it with her canned food you are giving her. I really hope she is better soon and it's no problem we all care about your girl too, and you. :)

Sowa
12-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Where would I get pumpkin and how do I buy it? Like is it in a can or something? I think my mom told me before you can only get it in huge cans here. The stores are closed now so maybe I'll look tomorrow. Do you think if she's a little bloated that's ok? I just can't stop thinking about "bloat"

wolf_Q
12-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear Clover is having troubles. :( Hope your sweet girl is back to her normal self soon. You can buy it in a can should be at any grocery store just make sure you get the kind without the spices added. My dogs love it.

Sowa
12-05-2011, 08:33 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/IMG_1389.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/IMG_1390.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/IMG_1391.jpg
Do you think she looks very bloated? (she is a very lean dog, not fat at all)

luvofallhorses
12-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes you can get it at the store like Wolf_Q said. She does look bloated, has she drank a lot of water? Sometimes dogs get like that if they have drank a lot of water. Or she could be putting on a little winter weight, but I doubt it since she hasn't eaten real good.

Sowa
12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
She's had some water. Not a ton, but not a little either.

luvofallhorses
12-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Is her belly plushy or hard?

Sowa
12-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I think the vet thinks I'm an idiot :o I took her in for a x-ray and he said she's fine. Maybe a little gassy. He said it's not bloat. Sometimes I feel silly how worried I get.

luvofallhorses
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Did he/she even imply that you are one? You are NOT. I would be concerned too, yes she could be a little gassy.

robinh
12-06-2011, 05:07 AM
I would be worried too. When they are your babies, you worry. I hope she starts feeling better soon.

sasvermont
12-06-2011, 08:53 AM
I hope today is easy going for the two of you. She should be better and better as the days pass. She may be the exception to the rule, and need a little longer to recoup. You just never know. But in general, these spayings are routine and go smoothly. Prue just sailed through hers and we were lucky.

I, too, would try the pumpkin trick. She will probably love it. I would also consider spoon feeding her whatever she is given so that 1.)) you know how much you are giving her, 2. so that she doesn't gulp it all down at once and 3.) so that she relaxes a little when eating.....

She doesn't look bloated to me, but then I am not her Mom. Mom's know best, for sure. I suspect it is just gas and swelling from the surgery. I know Prue's incision was a bit puffy and on the red side, but not warm to the touch and it didn't bother her at all. So I let her immune system kick in and all went nicely. Sorry for keep telling you about MY pet, but it may give you some insight into what could happen.

We all know how much worry those pets can cause. I worry nearly every day with mine, always looking for a limp or a sore or a spot of concern. Every now and then I find something and have it taken care of. My vet often tells me not to worry about this and that...... but you also don't want to be told "if only you had brought her/him in"...... so better to be safe than sorry.

Try not to worry too much.

We all want to see Clover back to her fun and run shape.

Sas and her campers
:love::love::love:

happylabs
12-06-2011, 10:23 AM
You are not crazy...you just love your dog. I think we all here totally understand that.

I was always a basket case whenever I had to take Casey in for any type of procedure other than the normal vet visit. Thing was, she LOVED to go there.

Just think of this as a learning experience.

I am glad she is okay. She has stolen a piece of my heart. :)

Sowa
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/IMG_1393.jpg

Here is Clover today. Notice the difference? Probably hard to tell from a photo. Her eyes were very scared and depressed these past few days. I have to say she's looking quite a bit better today. She ate a little and is up moving around. She even picked up one of her toys. I'm trying to keep her quiet for a few days til I know she's 100% better. I can't tell you how happy I am. :D

cassiesmom
12-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi, Clover, pretty girl! hug, hug, hug, hug, hugs for you from me! I'm glad you are up and around some.

Roxyluvsme13
12-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Great news! She looks much more alert. I'm glad she is feeling better!

sasvermont
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I am glad she is feeling more like her former self. I hope this will stay the standard. She looks interested and ready to roll. Unfortunately, she will need to stay still for a few days.

Keep us posted on her recovery as we are all concerned for that sweet Clover girl.

Relax and enjoy the quiet time!

:):)

luvofallhorses
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
She looks a lot better. :) So happy for you and your girl. :D

*LabLoverKEB*
12-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Clover wasn't feeling so well after her procedure! Poor girl! :( I'm really glad she's doing much better though! I love Clover, she's such a pretty girl!:love:

happylabs
12-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Here is Clover today. Notice the difference? Probably hard to tell from a photo. Her eyes were very scared and depressed these past few days. I have to say she's looking quite a bit better today. She ate a little and is up moving around. She even picked up one of her toys. I'm trying to keep her quiet for a few days til I know she's 100% better. I can't tell you how happy I am. :D

SUCH GOOD NEWS! If I was there I would hug you both!!! :) :) :)

OMG she is JUST SO gorgeous.

So happy for you now. Just love that sweet girl up for me!

Sowa
12-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks everyone :) The new vet we took her to kept commenting on how pretty sure is, and how sweet she is. She is such a loving dog.

I gave her a little most of her normal meal for supper. Still not rushing into feeding her a full meal after she was so sick. I mixed her kibble with wet food and she gobbled it up and licked her dish for 10 minutes. I think she's pretty hungry. I ended up feeding her 3 times today instead of 2. Just small meals.

chocolatepuppy
12-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Good to see Clover feeling better!:D

happylabs
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks everyone :) The new vet we took her to kept commenting on how pretty sure is, and how sweet she is. She is such a loving dog.

I gave her a little most of her normal meal for supper. Still not rushing into feeding her a full meal after she was so sick. I mixed her kibble with wet food and she gobbled it up and licked her dish for 10 minutes. I think she's pretty hungry. I ended up feeding her 3 times today instead of 2. Just small meals.

That is always a good idea to break their meals up into smaller and more meals.

lizbud
12-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Excellent.:)

robinh
12-06-2011, 05:23 PM
So glad to hear she is better. Sending hugs from here.

kaycountrygal
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey Girl, you're a worrier and I understand because I often worry about my pets also. I read the entire thread and kept hoping to read that Clover was getting better... and finally I read that bit of news. Good for BOTH of you! You are a good mom to Clover, so concerned and loving. Clover is indeed a pretty dog and a lucky one to have such a caring human to make sure she is alright. Maybe you both can rest good tonight ... hope so.

Sowa
12-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Clover is pretty much back to her normal self. She is using the washroom normally. She's playful, eatting normal, etc. :) I'm still holdng her back a little cause the vet said to keep her quiet for a week. :)

happylabs
12-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Awesome! Awesome!

You know, in this picture she looks like she has eyebrows. :love: :)

cassiesmom
12-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Yay, Clover! Mmuwah!

luvofallhorses
12-08-2011, 12:06 AM
So glad she is doing better. :)

cassiesmom
12-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi, Clover! I am thinking of you today and I hope you're back to your sweet self :D Merry Christmas, cutie!

happylabs
12-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Dear Clover,

If your mom ever decides she doesn't love you any more, you can come to Pennsylvania and live with me. ;)

Hope you are back to your old self.

Helen/happylabs :love: