PDA

View Full Version : What Breed is this?

GretaGirl
11-11-2002, 03:17 PM
I rescued a kitty this weekend. She was living in a wooded area near a busy road and I've seen her off and on for a few weeks. She wouldn't let me get close so I enlisted the help of a friend with a humane trap. It's starting to get colder here in MD so I knew the kitty needed to be off the streets. After putting out the trap & food, it only took three hours to catch this girl. I haven't found owners and thought about checking with local breeders (if I can identify a breed) before turning her over to the local kitty rescue group. (I'll still foster her, but the adoptions will be done through their group.) Heck, I'll probably end up adopting her since she seems to love my three golden retrievers. She's such a sweet, sweet girl.

I am your average kitty-mutt lover. :-) I know nothing about cat breeds, but I know this kitty is something. Can anyone help me identify the breed? I've heard ragdoll, birman, and mixed. Any ideas?

This is Greta. Please look past her missing fur and skinny tummy. We'll get her fattened up in no time with a little Felidae and some TLC. She's at the vet today so we'll see what her story is and exactly what she needs.

GretaGirl
11-11-2002, 03:19 PM
one more pic

AmberLee
11-11-2002, 03:25 PM
The vet would probably have the best idea of her breed. By the photo, I see why the estimate is she's a Birman or Ragdoll. She might be Himalayan... it's hard for me to tell from a photo though.

Good luck. Since she's friendly with your dogs, do you think she may be an escaped pet?

Wonderful rescue job, by the way.

sasvermont
11-11-2002, 03:27 PM
My vote: Himalayan...

Uabassoon
11-11-2002, 03:36 PM
It's not a Birman becauase they have white feet. But maybe she's a himilayan or a ragdoll. Regardless she's a very beautiful cat.

wayne0214
11-11-2002, 03:50 PM
She appears to me to be of Siamese origin - a seal-point with long fur. This is no ordinary cat, but rather looks to me to be a near, or perhaps a purebred, seal-point Siamese. I am not sure if a long fur Siamese has another breed name, perhaps a Himmalyian (sp?) , but she is a prize kitty, and I might add , a very beautiful cat.

.....wayne

neko1
11-11-2002, 08:00 PM
My votes for Himilayan and Brian's vote is for ragdoll. Either way, she's a gorgeous kitty that I'm sure anyone would LOVE to have!!

moosmom
11-12-2002, 07:20 PM
I checked on a site that has pictures of different breeds. From what I could see, it looks like you've got some kind of pointed Snowshoe mix. Here's the link I went to:

http://www.felinebreeds.com/html/menu.html

NoahsMommy
11-12-2002, 07:31 PM
She's very pretty! I never even noticed a skinny tummy or missing fur, she's gorgeous! :)

She really does look like a Hymilayan. We have some friends that have a Hymie and she looks a lot like this...she is a huge lover girl....a total doll, you know, the kind you want to sneek into your purse on the way out the door?

Enjoy her, and let us know how it goes. :)

The Cat Factory
11-14-2002, 02:10 PM
I'd say Birman. They can sometimes come out without the white paws...

wolflady
11-14-2002, 02:37 PM
Wow! What a gorgeous cat she is! :D My vote is Himalayan also. Sounds like she's fitting well into your home! That's great! Enjoy your new gorgeous girl, and feel free to take tons and tons of pics of her so we can all see!;)

**hugs**

Cataholic
11-14-2002, 09:16 PM
I am going to guess Seal Point Himmie..her body seems to square to be a meezer, but I don't know much about Burmese...She is one cutie pie, that is very clear.

Karen
11-14-2002, 10:14 PM
She looks like a classic Himalayan. When I was a kid, I babysat for a family that bred them. two kids, fourteen cats! :) She's got a darker face that Boo, the prize-winning Himalayan who liked to sit ON whatever homework I was trying to do after the kids were asleep! She's got the round face of a Himalayan, and the darker coloration is called a Seal Point, I think Boo was a Blue Point. But the dark legs and the long, luxurious fur - that's says Himalayan to me - Birmans have what I'd call "medium Long" and Himmys "Long" fur!

Mason here

http://catoftheday.com/archive/2001/October/28.jpg is a Birman,

but Cisco here

http://catoftheday.com/archive/1998/September/28.jpg

is a Himalayan.

The coloring is quite similar, but your girl looks fluffier than a Birman even!

Jimmy James
11-26-2002, 10:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that she's a seal point Himalayan. I have a blue point Himalayan of my own (his name's Fluffy) and a friend of mine has a seal point Himalayan. Developed from a mix between Persians and Siamese, Himalayans are a great breed, combining the cuddliness of a Persian with the personality and outgoing nature of the Siamese. Regardless, she's a beautiful cat, and should be a great companion.

kimlovescats
11-26-2002, 10:56 AM
I'd say Himalayan as well!