PDA

View Full Version : I think I just got scammed...

Roxyluvsme13
11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Posted a lamp on Craigslist, a woman replied and said "Do you still have it? What's your address?"

I've received posts like this before and I thought okay, yay, you can come get it tomorrow. Gave her my address and then I received this!

"OK, thank you for getting back to me. It turns out i cant really buy it now anyway… my son just put a BIG dent in my van and now i need to see how much money it'll cost me to fix it. ugh!

Im so happy that he's ok but of course it has to happen now, when i'm finally earning good money from this work from home program i started doing. You know, if you want, they just opened up 2 more positions in our area. Basically you make money by posting links on the internet, it's really simple and I usually just do it while watching tv.

Here is the link if you wanna read about it:

There's a URL here that goes to some weird site

I've earned about $600 each week since I started… not enough to quit my job yet but i actually have some extra money in my bank account. Well, probably not after i get the mechanic bill lol. My sister is going to sign up later and these positions usually go fast, so Id appreciate it if you didn't share the link with anyone else. Thanks!

Tuyet"

So, now this woman has my address and I'm pretty sure she just tried to scam me. I'm a little bit worried but I don't know what to do :confused:

Scooter's Mom
11-17-2011, 11:29 PM
It may be a scam, but i would edit the link out of your msg so others can't click it on accident.

Roxyluvsme13
11-17-2011, 11:32 PM
It may be a scam, but i would edit the link out of your msg so others can't click it on accident.
Didn't think of that, thank you!

caseysmom
11-18-2011, 12:22 AM
She can't do anything to you your address is public and all she knows is you have a lamp lol...don't sweat it just ignore her. She probably just got credit from you clicking her link. Make sure your antivirus stuff is up to date but thats always a good idea.

finn's mom
11-18-2011, 02:38 AM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. You didn't give her any money, or any real private information. Sounds like she might just use craigslist as a way to spam people, and it's probably not much more.

Roxyluvsme13
11-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Okay, thanks y'all. I'm just paranoid about her having my address since my cousin gave someone his address on Craigslist to come get some stuff one time and then they robbed his house :eek:. But yeah, I guess it's already public information... so hopefully it will all be okay.

Cataholic
11-18-2011, 10:01 AM
With Craigslist- i ask for their address and phone number first, and then verify it. If they aren't willing to give that- no go with my info. Plus ,with something like a lamp, i would have arranged to meet her at a parking lot.

Freedom
11-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I sell on CL, and I arrange to meet them in the local McDonald's parking lot. Just 2 miles from my house, so easy for me, and right off the highway so easy for wherever they are coming from.

Medusa
11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
CL freaks me out. I advertised on it only once for a garage sale and a woman walked in and said immediately "I need to buy that mirror!" She just pointed to the first thing she saw. I said "Ok, it's $3" Of course, she only had a $100 bill. She was pacing and sniffing and I thought "There's no way I'm making change for that bill. It's probably counterfeit". So I said "Sorry, no change". So she went out to her car, sat there for at least 15 minutes talking on the phone, then left.

I probably shouldn't say this but since some of you meet people in parking lots to sell an item on occasion, I'll take a chance. Not too far from me, maybe 30 min. or so, a couple of men were shot a few days ago. They answered CL ads for work and they were told that the road was closed so they got out and walked. Next thing they knew, they heard a gun being cocked. One guy ran but still got shot. The other guy wasn't so lucky. All that the bad guys wanted was to rob people. I just don't trust CL at all any more. I know, I know, people have successfully bought and sold items and that's fine. For them. Just thought I'd tell you about this so that your antennae goes up and stays up.

Cataholic
11-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Medusa, that was SO bizarre, wasn't it??? One of the suspects was 16!

pomtzu
11-18-2011, 05:51 PM
That's quite a story Mary, but I'm with you 100% on the whole CL deal. I'd rather drop something off at Goodwill or Salvation Army, or even set some larger pieces, like furniture and the like, out by the road for someone to pick up (which they always do), than to take any chances. There's too many weirdos out there with less than good intentions, and to me, those few bucks I might get from selling an item, just aren't worth the possible risks involved.

Medusa
11-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Medusa, that was SO bizarre, wasn't it??? One of the suspects was 16!

Yes, it really was weird. And the other guy was in his 50's, I think. Robbery is bad enough but did they have to kill them?

Asiel
11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
CL is something I never bother with, heard too many horror stories ( and hearing more right here) I also prefer dropping anything I don't need at our local charity stores . We did put out a fridge by the roadside one morning and it was gone by noon so when we have heavy items like this, this is what we do now and it disappears within the day.

dukedogsmom
11-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't list anything on CL. Maybe Freecycle or something similar. But I just usually donate to a local charity. Too many criminals on CL. When I was dispatching and things like appliances were taken from new homes, that's the first place the deputies started looking. One guy had stolen appliances the night before and already had them listed the next day. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out my info on that site, and probably any site.

Roxyluvsme13
11-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Well I've learned my lesson with Craigslist for sure. I usually arrange to meet somewhere, but I thought it'd be okay for someone to pick up this one time.

Medusa
11-19-2011, 07:13 AM
If you have nice things that you want to make at least a little money from the sale, you might try the classifieds in your newspaper and in local throw aways. I've had good success w/that.

Suki Wingy
11-19-2011, 09:26 PM
I just bought a car off of Craigslist. I knew I was taking a chance but it turned out to be just fine. I took a bus to a gas station to meet the seller.