PDA

View Full Version : Petco or Petsmart?

Roxyluvsme13
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
What's your pet store of choice?

I just discovered that we have a Petco (though it's on the other side of town so I haven't been yet, nor have I ever been to one!). Plus we have Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, and Natural Pet Supply store.

Petsmart was always my favorite, but now I'm kind of favoring Pet Supplies Plus because it's really close to our house.

Just wondering what everyone else's first choice was!

Karen
11-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Since the horrible Petco incident in Binghamton, NY earlier this year, I'd rather shop at PetSmart or a local store.

lvpets2002
11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
:) Yes I am for sure a Petsmart or Local Store person too..

Roxyluvsme13
11-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Since the horrible Petco incident in Binghamton, NY earlier this year, I'd rather shop at PetSmart or a local store.
Totally did not know about that till I just googled it :o. Maybe I won't be shopping at Petco after all, which kind of sucks because they have some of the stuff I need cheaper.

Freedom
11-17-2011, 02:37 PM
I have always preferred PetsMart. When I've asked questions, the folks there are knowledgable. The people in PetCo, it's just a job, they haven't a clue! :rolleyes:

Mind you, PetCo is less than 1/2 mile from my home, nearest PetsMart is 18 miles and in the midst of a shopping crunch - wall to wall malls - so I have to really plan my trips up there.

wolf_Q
11-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I've worked for Petco for over 9 years. I go to Petsmart on rare occassions but it's much easier to buy stuff where I work and I get an employee discount...so that's pretty much the only pet place I shop.

Karen
11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
I've worked for Petco for over 9 years. I go to Petsmart on rare occassions but it's much easier to buy stuff where I work and I get an employee discount...so that's pretty much the only pet place I shop.

Amy, did your Petco or Petco Corporate discuss or send any memos out about the Binghamton incident? Just curious ... as I hadn't heard any follow-up after the immediate reaction ...

mrspunkysmom
11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
PetsMart and a local store (part of a chain) Animal Supply House. I get Eagle Holistic locally, which I cannot get at PetsMart.

Petco prices are usually 20% higher than PetsMart in our area.

chocolatepuppy
11-17-2011, 06:13 PM
There is no Petco close to me. I shop at Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus. They're not far from each other but are a 30 mile round trip for me.

Pinot's Mom
11-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Just came from PetSmart, stocked up on Blue Wilderness, Pinot is happy. :D

wolf_Q
11-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Amy, did your Petco or Petco Corporate discuss or send any memos out about the Binghamton incident? Just curious ... as I hadn't heard any follow-up after the immediate reaction ...

I'm not sure...if it doesn't have to do with grooming, I don't hear about it. I did read a memo about how to evacuate animals though if that's the incident you're talking about.

Karen
11-18-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure...if it doesn't have to do with grooming, I don't hear about it. I did read a memo about how to evacuate animals though if that's the incident you're talking about.

Does that man they've changed their policy to allow folks to evacuate animals and take them to their own homes out of the danger zone?

krazyaboutkatz
11-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Pet Club is my first choice. Their prices are great.:) It's like a Costco/Sam's Club for pets but without a membership fee. I've always preferred Petsmart to Petco and I have both close to me. I also sometimes shop at An -Jan Feed & Supply Store too.

moosmom
11-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Because I have 8 cats, I try to find the best deals on canned food, litter and dry food. PetSmart has a great deal on Friskies canned food. $.40/can!! I can get a case for $9.90, and Wilderness Blue for $31.00 for a large bag, regularly $34.00. Also, they have a huge bucket of Tidy Cat (38 lbs for $11.45). I'll use PetSmart for all those deals till the sale is over. Then I go back to Pet Supplies Plus. Out of the three, PSP is the one with the cheaper, everyday prices.

Roxyluvsme13
11-18-2011, 07:33 AM
I have to agree Pet Supplies Plus tends to be cheaper. I'm glad I moved somewhere that has two since I'd never heard of them before I moved here, haha.

Seems everyone likes Petsmart better too. Both are on the west side of town for me, so unless I'm at school, not convenient to go to Petsmart or Petco.

redbird
11-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I like Petsmart because it is a little cheaper in my area. I love closest to Petco tho but lately don't go to either one. The least expensive for pet stuff is Walmart so I go there often. Why pay more for the same thing.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/THANKSGIVING/img56.gif

lvpets2002
11-18-2011, 12:14 PM
:) Yes that is what is most important is for Pinot to be happy.. ;) Yes my babies love Blue Wilderness && I can get it local at Tractor Supply..

Just came from PetSmart, stocked up on Blue Wilderness, Pinot is happy. :D

pomtzu
11-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Petsmart. Their prices are reasonable and they also have the grooming salon which I take Sparky to. Petco is upstate and too far from here - only been there once years ago. Concord Pet Supplies is a regional chain in this area and it's closer than Petsmart, but no groomer and their prices are way too high.

ETA: The Petsmart close to where my brother lives in NC, even has a vet on the premises. I'd never seen that at any other store. Any stores in your area have one?

kittycats_delight
11-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Well seeing I am not in the US or Canada I don't shop either. In fact I have NEVER been inside the doors of either. I shop at a local pet store that has absolutely everything I need. I feed my cats Royal Canin Fit 32 & Sensible 33. I can get these from them in bulk at a lower price than what the bags sell for. I pay €5,00 a kilo for the fit 32 & €6,00 a kilo for sensible 33. Normally a 2 kg bag of fit is €13,50 a bag & a 2 kg bag of sensible is €18,00 so there is a pretty good saving there especially when my cats eat 6-8 kg of dry food a month. :eek:

Because we are regular customers we also get 'treats' from them for free. They always toss in a handful of real meat 'sausages' for Artica & 2 or 3 bags of malt treats for the cats. They tend to always charge us less for wet food for the cats too. Normally the wet food is €1,00 a can (almo) or 6 for the price of 5(schesir). We never pay more than €0,75 a can or 6 for the price of 4 depending on the brand.

mrspunkysmom
11-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Petsmart. Their prices are reasonable and they also have the grooming salon which I take Sparky to. Petco is upstate and too far from here - only been there once years ago. Concord Pet Supplies is a regional chain in this area and it's closer than Petsmart, but no groomer and their prices are way too high.

ETA: The Petsmart close to where my brother lives in NC, even has a vet on the premises. I'd never seen that at any other store. Any stores in your area have one?

The Petsmart where in my hometown has a vet. So does one of the local ones, but not the other.

mrspunkysmom
11-18-2011, 07:38 PM
:) Yes that is what is most important is for Pinot to be happy.. ;) Yes my babies love Blue Wilderness && I can get it local at Tractor Supply..

I love Tractor Supply. The closet one means traveling through a lot of traffic, so I use Animal Supply House.

Asiel
11-18-2011, 08:21 PM
We have no Petco here so I go to PetSmart. Always found them very pleasant and helpful and their prices are okay especially when they have sales. We have a Pet Value but I didn't care for it and they don't carry much of anything.
I never heard of a vet in pet stores here but it seems to be the norm in some areas in Britain.

Scooter's Mom
11-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Pet Club is my first choice. Their prices are great.:) It's like a Costco/Sam's Club for pets but without a membership fee. I've always preferred Petsmart to Petco and I have both close to me. I also sometimes shop at An -Jan Feed & Supply Store too.

I use Pet Club for all my pet food purchases, too! Their staff is extremely knowledgeable and helpful!

Roxyluvsme13
11-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes, our Petsmart had a Banfield vet in there, I'm not sure if the ones in Knox do too, but it's possible.

I haven't been to Tractor Supply yet either, but probably going to visit there soon.

chocolatepuppy
11-18-2011, 09:26 PM
My Petsmart used to have a vet, up until a few years ago.

Taz_Zoee
11-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I used to go to Petco AND PetSmart. Then I just stopped going to Petco all together. The store was just old and dirty. They've moved to a new location, farther from me, and we've been in once to get an Aussie calendar.
But mainly I shop PetSmart for food and litter (also take Zoee for grooming and Tagg for nail trims). And sometimes I go to Pet Food Express (local chain) for misc things because I get a 20% discount for volunteering at ARF.

Every PetSmart I've been in has a Banfield vet in it. Its nice because you can buy perscription food there cheaper than at your normal vet. Luckily I do not have anyone on Rx food right now.

IRescue452
11-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Petsuppliesplus for ferret food, though petco carries the same brand for $2.50more. PSP also has more variety of items and cheaper prices.

Petco if I'm buying C&Ps dog food because they only carry it, otherwise Tractor Supply for dog food.

Petsmart for fish and also great clearence buys. No typical animal food or necessities there, they don't carry good brands.

cassiesmom
11-19-2011, 07:37 PM
There's a Pet Supplies Plus near where I work. I've only been there once - I'll have to check it out again.

The Petco near me is in a strip mall. It's between Target and Kohl's so it can be difficult to get a parking space sometimes. I go to Petsmart because it's a lot easier to get into the shopping center and get a parking space.

dab_20
11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
I prefer petsmart. I just like their selection better, and I get my dogs groomed there. Their dog food I get at the Dogs Meow, a local holistic pet store. Prices there are outragous to buy anything other than food though.

maid25cats
11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
PetSmart is usually cheaper than Petco.

Black Friday Petsmart had the Tidy Cat 38 lb for $8.99 bought 8
and they had the Friskies for .35 bought 48 cans
I usually buy them at Walmart .50 for the cans
$12 for litter
Walmart does the price match also
CVS and Ritaid have sales for .45 cans but they never have a good variety
So I took the circular to Walmart and got the case for .45 a can :)
Store opened at 7AM but I didn't get there till around 3pm and there was plenty still there
I have never done Black Friday shopping. I was in and out. no lines :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Those are some really awesome deals!

Pet Supplies Plus has no sales tax for Black Friday weekend.

aTailOf2Kitties
11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
I prefer whichever one I'm closest to at the time. Neither of them is particularly close by, so I don't usually plan on going. I just happen to be going to another store that's in the area.

mrspunkysmom
11-27-2011, 09:07 AM
The new cat tree was half off at Petsmart Friday :D