PDA

View Full Version : Ask a Vet

Karen
11-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Anybody want to be part of a new radio show segment on All Paws Pet Talk? Taping after me on Wednesday will be "Ask a Vet" with Dr. Carol, and you could call in with a question, and she'd answer it 'on air' with you.

PM me if you are interested, okay?

Karen
11-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Got one response, anyone else?

momcat
11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi Karen,
Groucho has been doing something lately that I'm very curious about. As soon as I get my glucometer to check my blood sugar, Groucho comes from wherever he is, jumps on my lap and starts with headbumpies and kisses getting in the way of doing the test. I'm currently on 2 types of insulin, During this time he'll reach out his paw and gently stroke one of the insulin pens but never the other one. He doesn't try to knock it off the table or play with it though. Groucho does this whether I'm low, high, or in range.
I'm curious about why he started doing this suddenly and out of nowhere.

Bonny
11-16-2011, 11:12 AM
On the General Dog thread someone had bought up giving vasectomies to dogs. Is that something new that has come out as a choice between castration? Would it be less evasive surgery?

Karen
11-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks, folks. I just got the audio files and emailed them to Pomtzu and Kirsten and moosmom, we didn't get to your (Bonny and momcat) questions this time, but hope to next week. I'll send you each a PM when it gets closer to Wednesday, when we record the shows, okay?

momcat
11-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks, folks. I just got the audio files and emailed them to Pomtzu and Kirsten and moosmom, we didn't get to your (Bonny and momcat) questions this time, but hope to next week. I'll send you each a PM when it gets closer to Wednesday, when we record the shows, okay?

Thanks, Karen. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you!

Bonny
11-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Thank you & it sounds good.

pomtzu
11-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks Karen - I got my file. I was glad to be able to get in on the ground floor of all of this.

I also sent you an email..........

Karen
11-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks!

Karen
11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
So anyone else have any questions they would like to ask a vet? It can be big or small, or even just something you have wondered about but never remembered to ask when you were in the office ...

Karen
11-30-2011, 05:22 PM
So I will email everyone the audio files once I get them! Glad folks were able to call in today, and I hope it went well for you!

Karen
12-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Sorry Michelle and Cheryl, I haven't sent out the audio files yet, I will do it later today!

So anyone have any questions for the vet this week? Dr. Carol does a good, thorough job and is really knowledgeable, has many years of experience but is still open to new ideas, etc.

Karen
12-12-2011, 05:51 PM
momcat, I just sent you the audio file from that day, in case you want to listen again!

Karen
12-13-2011, 01:53 PM
So anyone have any vet questions for this week? Dr. Carol answers them quite thoroughly, whatever they are! Let me know!

Karen
12-19-2011, 04:09 PM
So, anyone have any questions for the vet this week? Specific, or something you have just always wondered about - either way!

aTailOf2Kitties
12-19-2011, 07:22 PM
can cats get toenail fungus? Havoc's claws are always pale and yeasty but my vet doesn't seem concerned about it. They seem to bother him though.

aTailOf2Kitties
12-19-2011, 07:25 PM
so what did the vet say about canine vasectomy? My vet said it would stop actual reproduction but not the negative behaviors of an intact male.

Karen
12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
can cats get toenail fungus? Havoc's claws are always pale and yeasty but my vet doesn't seem concerned about it. They seem to bother him though.

That's a good question for her. Any chance you could call in and ask it in person? It would be at 1:20 Wednesday afternoon ...

And I'll find the audio file about the canine vasectomy and send it to you, okay?

aTailOf2Kitties
12-20-2011, 04:29 AM
I'm crazy busy for the next 3 weeks, can't call :(

moosmom
12-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Karen,

I have a question about "horny" claws. My cat Spike has them. They are calouses that grow out from their pads. I've been clipping them as my vet showed me. Any idea how and why some cats have them and some don't???

Bonny
12-20-2011, 06:41 AM
so what did the vet say about canine vasectomy? My vet said it would stop actual reproduction but not the negative behaviors of an intact male.

Thank you Tailof2Kitties. Finally an answer to the vasectomy question. Not all male dogs have negative behaviors when in tact but some do with the hormone producing organ still in place. Maybe it depends on the breed & genetics? You get an answer & end up with another question. ;)

Karen
12-20-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm crazy busy for the next 3 weeks, can't call :(

That's okay, I can ask it for you, she does that. And I'll send you the audio file when I get it!

moosmom
12-20-2011, 11:37 AM
I found the number and will call you at 1:15. Thanks Karen!

dukedogsmom
12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I was really disappointed on my call today. She wouldn't let me even speak to say that he'd had a thorough vet check before we left Florida. Not impressed :(

Karen
12-21-2011, 12:57 PM
So sorry, Val, she's usually more thorough than that. I'll PM you her email address.

Karen
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi Karen,
Groucho has been doing something lately that I'm very curious about. As soon as I get my glucometer to check my blood sugar, Groucho comes from wherever he is, jumps on my lap and starts with headbumpies and kisses getting in the way of doing the test. I'm currently on 2 types of insulin, During this time he'll reach out his paw and gently stroke one of the insulin pens but never the other one. He doesn't try to knock it off the table or play with it though. Groucho does this whether I'm low, high, or in range.
I'm curious about why he started doing this suddenly and out of nowhere.

The animal communicator Vickie said Groucho is trying to help, and he also doesn't want you to hurt yourself. He told her you take two needles, and he thinks that's too much. I told her, well, first you need to test your blood sugar, so he may think you are hurting yourself. He wants to help you, which is why he is getting fussy and in the way! She suggested you tell him that you are doing the two needles because that makes you feel better. Let him know that he can "help" most by doing something - maybe a good stroke or three after you have your needles would help you feel better, and give him a part in the process?

I'll send you the audio file when I get it!

momcat
12-21-2011, 06:38 PM
The animal communicator Vickie said Groucho is trying to help, and he also doesn't want you to hurt yourself. He told her you take two needles, and he thinks that's too much. I told her, well, first you need to test your blood sugar, so he may think you are hurting yourself. He wants to help you, which is why he is getting fussy and in the way! She suggested you tell him that you are doing the two needles because that makes you feel better. Let him know that he can "help" most by doing something - maybe a good stroke or three after you have your needles would help you feel better, and give him a part in the process?

I'll send you the audio file when I get it!

Karen,
Thank you very much for contacting the animal communicator. I know our pets are very tuned in to how we're feeling and often react in ways we may not understand. Vickie's response does make a lot of sense and I will try to ease Groucho's concern. Mike and I love him very much and want him to feel comfortable and be a happy kitty in our home. I'll be looking forward to the audio file. And please extend my sincere thanks to Vickie next time you talk to her.

Karen
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
So, does anyone have any questions for the Vet this week? It may be the last time I'll be offering this, as I am going to be hosting a different format of show ...

pomtzu
01-03-2012, 10:59 AM
If it's not too late - I have a general question about fleas - and if certain animals can have an immunity to them.

Karen
01-03-2012, 11:33 AM
That would be great - could you call in tomorrow at 1:20? PM me, and I'll give you the number, etc!

snakemama
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
D'oh! I got your PM too late to call! I would love to ask about Boris' lack of fur growth.

Karen
01-11-2012, 08:56 AM
So, anybody have any questions for the vet this week?

Karen
01-24-2012, 10:15 AM
So this week, Dr. Carol will be recording the show on Thursday morning, instead of Wednesday afternoon. Anyone have any questions they would like to ask a veterinarian?

Edwina's Secretary
01-24-2012, 10:53 AM
My sister-in-law is a "western trained" vet. She is also an animal acupucturist and chiropractor. She is very interested in alternative medicine - for animals and for people. It's not mutually exclusive!

Karen
01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
So anyone have any question for Dr. Carol for Thursday's show?