PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weather - Everyone okay?

ramanth
11-11-2002, 08:01 AM
Heard on the radio this morning that there were at least 50 tornados from the storms stretching from Ohio all the way down to Alabama and Mississippi....

I guess this is my impromtu roll call... is everyone okay that lives in the southern states?

mugsy
11-11-2002, 08:18 AM
All of the Ohio schools just over the Indiana line are closed today from the storms. VanWert was declared a state of emergency yesterday afternoon. I'm guessing they got nailed.

I hope, too, that everyone is okie dokey.

Sudilar
11-11-2002, 09:09 AM
Hope all are ok. Check in, please!

Logan
11-11-2002, 09:34 AM
We had a terrible storm here, we're quite alright!! Hope everyone else is too.

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-11-2002, 10:32 AM
We had horrible thunderstorms all night and during the morning until 9 AM here in Gainesville. I had to wait for the county to remove the trees from the road right infront of my house.

We are OK though.

luckies4me
11-11-2002, 10:58 AM
I too was wonderinghow everyone here was fairing. I saw the news this morning and it was not pretty. Hope everyone is ok. :)

Rachel
11-11-2002, 11:30 AM
Wondering about Phred and the gang. The Ranch is in Ohio.

Logan
11-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Wondering about Phred and the gang. The Ranch is in Ohio.

He has posted today, so I'm assuming that he is alright. :D

Cincy'sMom
11-11-2002, 12:52 PM
Phred is in the Eatern par to fthe state and I think the storm had died out some by the time it got his way. Toledo faired fine, but as Molly sadi Van Wert got hit hard (about 45 min SW of here) and so did Fostoria (about 45 SE of here and only about 10 miles E of my parents!) It was sorta scary...got awfully dark and windy! Ralph was at his sister's so the girls and I were here along. Sadie was fine, but Cincy kept pacing and barking at the lightening. Not a normal Nov. afternoon for this area!!!

mugsy
11-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Boy, ain't that the truth! It just POURED here. We had a couple of good lightning strikes and big booms of thunder (which didn't thrill Billy and Shawna), but the storms intensified as they moved east. We only live about 20 minutes from the Ohio line, so it was kind of scary here too. Actually Hartfort City, which is just south and a little west of here got hit by a tornado too, so I would say that the worst of it tracked south and east of us.

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Me anna Kat are Okee-Dookie ;)

Lil *skarrie* bout 8 a-klok last nite - when the storm hit around Youngstown... Lotta wind an thunder *BOOMERZ*. Nebber like it when Dad's not around durrin a storm... (He an SmokeMutt were in GranMom's Village in Pittsburgh, PA, whenna storm hit atta Ranch.)

They wuz drivin towardz home when they ran inta the wind an rain bout 10 a-klok jest west of P-burg - it kinda died out an went south affore it got to us and Pennsylvania.

Our Fiur Guyz went out at 8 PM ta kleen up sum busted tree limbz onna roads - but nuffin wurser than that. Naybur Fiur Guyz went out fur an old barn that caught fiur - dunno iffin it wuz frum lightnin or da windz; but they wuzzint out long. Sounded like it wuzza small an emptee barn.

Me anna Kat wuzzint eben uppyset whenna guyz got home - cept I reelee hadda run out an do a *pee*!
Allua waddur hittin da Howze getz me ta thinkin bout wadder... thenna mynd startz thinkin bout...
Well - ya get da pixshure... :rolleyes:

Tankz fur askin bout us!! :D

RockyRoad
11-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Glad it's not over here. I hope nobody got hurt, but of course I bet lots of people got hurt. There's an articlt on AOL about it but I cannot figure out how to put it on since it has no web adress on the browser. Oh well.

RockyRoad
11-11-2002, 03:05 PM
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (Nov. 11) - Tornadoes and severe storms ripped through the eastern United States from the Great Lakes into the deep South on Sunday and early on Monday, wiping out small towns, killing at least 34 and leaving dozens missing.

Officials warned the death toll could rise as rescue workers began tearing into devastated homes and other structures amid fog and continuing rain in some areas. A fireman in Tennessee died during a rescue effort there.

Tennessee appeared to be the hardest hit, with 17 confirmed deaths from storms including the rescue worker. Dozens were missing in the mountainous eastern part of the state near Knoxville, were the tiny town of Mossy Grove was flattened.

There were also 11 deaths in Alabama, five in Ohio and one in Pennsylvania where a man died in the collapse of a home near Pittsburgh during a storm that had not been confirmed as a tornado.

"There's a three-mile long path of homes, most destroyed," said Ed Cate, assistant chief of the Knox County, Tennessee, Rescue Squad. "There are a lot of manufactured homes (prefabricated and trailers) ripped up and flipped over. Trees are uprooted, broken in half."

Cecil Whaley of the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency said the Mossy Grove tornado left an area of about one and a half square miles "wiped out." He said there were reports one storm in the remote mountain hamlet may have been an F-5, the most powerful on the Fujita scale of tornado intensity.

'MASS DESTRUCTION, DEATH'

Such storms occur in only about 1 percent of the 1,000 or so tornadoes which strike every year in the United States and can pack winds of from 261 to 318 miles per hour. Whaley said the damage in Tennessee was the most concentrated he'd seen in 20 years.

"It's mass destruction, death," a police officer in nearby Oliver Springs told the Knoxville News-Sentinel. "Mossy Grove is destroyed."

Cold autumn air sweeping eastward in a clash with warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico ignited the string of tightly coiled storms along the leading edge of the front.

Emergency management officials in several states reported homes flattened, trees uprooted and power lines down, leaving thousands without electricity.

There were at least 65 injuries reported in Tennessee and another 50 in Alabama. Tornado damage was also reported in northwestern South Carolina, but no injuries were reported.

The National Weather Service warned that more severe storms were possible in the southeast as the storm front moved toward the Atlantic coast. The Federal Aviation Administration said there were no significant airport delays on Monday morning as a result of the violent weather.

The weather service's Storm Prediction Center said it had reports of 45 tornadoes since early Sunday morning across a half dozen states, though not all of them were confirmed. It said the biggest concentrations were in north central Alabama, east central Tennessee and north central and northwest Ohio.

Roger Edwards, a forecaster at the center, said massive tornadic outbreaks are not unusual in November and that many of the same areas hit in the latest storms suffered damage from a similar outbreak in 1992.

'WE'VE BEEN HIT REAL HARD'

Generally speaking, though, the tornado season tends to be concentrated the spring.

In Alabama, at least 11 people were killed and 50 others injured by tornadoes in the northern part of the state on Sunday evening.

Nine of the fatalities occurred in Walker County, which bore the brunt of the destruction in the state. Lee Helms, director of the Alabama Emergency Management Agency, said emergency personnel were working in several counties to clear downed trees and power lines from roads and help direct people to emergency shelters.

"We're seeing pretty extensive structural damage and quite a tremendous amount of debris," said Helms, who added that an estimated 50,000 people had been left without power across Alabama. "We're working on ... clearing the roads to gain access to the most heavily damaged areas as well as housing storm victims in shelters in Walker County," Helms said.

Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman has declared a state of emergency across the state.

"We've been hit real hard," said Luther Lapner, chief of police in the tiny community of Carbon Hill in Walker County.

In Ohio, the storms took five lives mostly in the northwestern section of the state.

The deadliest tornado in U.S. history struck on March 18, 1925, killing 695 people on a 219-mile track through Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. An April 3 and 4 outbreak of tornadoes in 1974 killed 310 in the United States and eight in Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well that's the article! Hope everyone's okay down there!

tatsxxx11
11-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Thanks Britt! Good job!:) Here's it's just pouring rain and very windy, 40-50 mph gusts. But that's not too unusual for the Cape! Glad to hear you all are ok!

Cataholic
11-11-2002, 04:00 PM
We just got tons and tons of rain...I only saw one road closed, course, it was the road I wanted to go on!

Cincy'sMom
11-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
We just got tons and tons of rain...I only saw one road closed, course, it was the road I wanted to go on!

And that is different in Cincinnati how? It is always the road you want that is closed!!!

Miss Meow
11-11-2002, 04:19 PM
I'm glad everyone seems to be OK. We saw the storms on the news last night, scary stuff.

Pam
11-11-2002, 04:32 PM
I was hoping to see a reply from Anna on here (mom of Angus, Roxey & Huney). I know she lives somewhere in Ohio? Anna please report in! :)

Desert Arabian
11-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Up here in WI we got nothin but *******SNOW********.
I wish we got some thunderstorms here in Nov.- no tornadoes tho- thanks! I am glad to hear that everyone (that posted) is doing o.k. I sure would've had a heart attack if I went through that!!! I saw pictures of the tornadoes on the Weather Channel- just looking at them scared the c%@! out of me! LOL! :rolleyes:

ChrisH
11-11-2002, 04:57 PM
I was worried about Anna too, however I just noticed she posted on a couple of threads today, proberbly hasn`t seen this one, I think she is logged off now.
shais_mom and bnormal live in Ohio too and I haven`t seen any posts from them today, if you two are reading will you please report in so we know you are ok? Thanks.

Cincy'sMom
11-11-2002, 06:35 PM
My mom saw Staci (Shais_mom) today at the Dog Park so things are okay with her. Anna PM'd me about meeting this weekend and didn't mention any problems so I'm guessing things are okay with her too.

I did find out the bad weather came VERY close to my grandparents...some house less then a mile from their house. There was debris in their yard and they didn't have power for about 12 hours, but other then that they are okay.

luckies4me
11-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Earlier this year we had a huge wind storm with winds up to 75 miles per hour. Peoples homes were destroyed and huge trees were uprooted everywhere. So many people had trees fall into their cars and houses etc. We lost power for a day. Some people were without power for two weeks! :eek: It was really scary.

neko1
11-11-2002, 08:14 PM
OMG I just heard about this from this thread!! Hope everyone and their pets are doing OK!!

anna_66
11-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Yep, all is fine here, but boy that was one mean storm:eek:
Needless to say, I didn't think it was a very good time to get on the computer, with all the lightening and all...and Saturday was Mark's 41st birthday, so I couldn't be on then!
Van Wert got hit really bad. They had a F-4 tornado and it destroyed so much. I can't believe that it was only about 40 miles or so away from where we live. I just thank god, us, and everyone else out there is fine. Thanks for your concern:D

Cookiebaker
11-11-2002, 08:27 PM
Anna, just reading your reply gives me the shivers. :eek: I'm glad you & the pups are safe!

anna_66
11-11-2002, 08:28 PM
Really, me too!

Cookiebaker
11-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Oh, and happy birthday to Mark, too!! :D

anna_66
11-11-2002, 08:42 PM
He said THANKS:D

koxka
11-11-2002, 09:35 PM
You ALL seem to be OK.! What a relief!
I saw the images on the news, it was sooo scary. They told at least 150 persons died.:(

We got floods recently here, but nothing to compare with you.

Nomilynn
11-11-2002, 09:41 PM
I am very blessed because where I live, it's very mild weather. I'm glad everyone is ok!