PDA

View Full Version : RAM storage information wanted :-)

Catty1
11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I have a fair bit of RAM, both laptop and desktop, that I would like to organize. Up to now I have organized the various kinds into clean sandwich bags, labelled and closed with a twist tie.

I have been searching a few stores online for compartmentalized boxes for storage, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Karen
11-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Find a cheap tackle box, that'll do fine! I just did a quick search online and you can get a "six-drawer" box for under $20 - US that is. And I am guessing it'd be equally cheap up where you are, given sport fishing is big around there, too!

Catty1
11-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I thought of a tackle box, and will look at a few to see if there is one with enough compartments - and the right size. :)

Meanwhile, I found parts storage at Canadian Tire. I can't copy the pic from the site, but here is a link:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ToolStorage/PartsStorage/PRD~0581050P/Mastercraft+4-piece+Organizer+Case.jsp?locale=en

I'll go there in the next couple of days and browse around.

Thanks!

Karen
11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
They have tackle boxes, too - at least on their website! The bigger boards can always lie flat in the bottom compartment, depends on what sizes you have what would work best.

Catty1
11-08-2011, 09:43 PM
A piece of desktop RAM is just over 5" in length. However, I do need many compartments. For example, if I am storing PC2700 RAM, I need a compartment for each size of it: 128MB, 256, 512, 1GB and in other types of RAM even 2GB.

Also, a rolled-up cloth with compartments would be good, but not sure where I would find that! :)

kittycats_delight
11-08-2011, 09:50 PM
search for knife sleeves or knife cases. I found one in the matter of seconds.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31D%2BGmEf19L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ETA: it seems they are also referred to as knife wallets as well.

Lady's Human
11-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Storing RAM (Or any chip) in ziplocs is NOT a good practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going to store them in any kind of a plastic container it needs to have a conductive coating so there's no static buildup.

Static=ESD=dead chips.

The plastic bags they come in have a static dissipative coating on them, you might be able to find some cheap through an electronics wholesaler or ebay.

Catty1
11-08-2011, 11:26 PM
LH - yeah, I KNOW the baggies weren't good!

I have some of the packages they came in...static envelopes that are used for HDDs would work as well?

Lady's Human
11-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Yep, those are fine. They're ESD protective as well.