PDA

View Full Version : Duke - Update and Pics.

Roxyluvsme13
11-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Just thought I'd share the last few Duke pics, and I have something to say, and I don't want to be bashed for it, but I have a feeling I will be.

Pictures first, and then my news.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/DSC_0012-2.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/DSC_0010-1.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/DSC_0008-2.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/DSC_0007-2.jpg

Duke isn't going to be able to stay with us. I have contacted a Basset Hound rescue because I am not sending him back to the awful place where he came from. He's a great dog, super sweet and loving, but we've unfortunately discovered that he isn't right for our family. He terrifies the cats (he doesn't mean to) and they're acting out/not acting like themselves since he has been around, and Lily is afraid to walk by him sometimes for whatever reason. I should have researched and seen how he acted with the other pets before we brought him home, but usually they do fine with new pets coming in (as they did when we got Domino,) but things do not seem to be getting better.

I love him, I really do, it's breaking my heart and I'm getting teary eyed typing this, but he just can't stay with us. So, I am trying to do the right thing for him by trying to find him a new home. He deserves someplace where other animals get along with him and someone who has plenty of time and attention given to him and lots of love so he is spoiled rotten. I'm not going to just throw him out and give him away to just anyone as his previous owners seemed to do, since he has been passed around and mistreated. That's why I contacted a Basset rescue. If things don't work out with the rescue, then I will be doing everything in my power to find him a perfect home.

If anyone on here has any suggestions in finding him a home, or heck, even if anyone is interested in adopting him (I'm in Southeast TN), then please message me.

I'm doing the best thing for Duke, and hopefully there will be some people on here that will understand that and not bash me for trying to do the best thing for my dog.

Karen
11-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Awww, we know you just what is best for him. Bassett rescue is probably your best bet.

Try:BellyRubs Basset Rescue
Website - http://bellyrubs.org/
email: [email protected]

East TN contact:
Leanne Potts
Knoxville, TN
865-228-2460
email - [email protected]

West Tennessee & North Mississippi Contact -

And remember, you at least got him out of a bad situation, and have given him both love and care and food, and he is better off having spent time with you than he would have been otherwise.

Sowa
11-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I think as long as he's not in the bad home anymore then that's great for him. I'm glad you're taking the time to find him a better place. I can only imagine how hard it is on you. You have to think of your current pets as well :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm glad y'all understand.

Awww, we know you just what is best for him. Bassett rescue is probably your best bet.

Try:BellyRubs Basset Rescue
Website - http://bellyrubs.org/
email: [email protected]

East TN contact:
Leanne Potts
Knoxville, TN
865-228-2460

West Tennessee & North Mississippi Contact -

And remember, you at least got him out of a bad situation, and have given him both love and care and food, and he is better off having spent time with you than he would have been otherwise.
BellyRubs is who I contacted. I contacted the Leanne person via her email on the website. I'm hoping I get a reply back tomorrow, or Tuesday at the latest.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. He's already looking much healthier, he's got a lot less fleas, and he is happier and I think he might even be fattening up a little bit :).

I think as long as he's not in the bad home anymore then that's great for him. I'm glad you're taking the time to find him a better place. I can only imagine how hard it is on you. You have to think of your current pets as well :)
I'm glad you understand my situation. I hate doing it, but I can't have my other three being upset because of Duke.

cassiesmom
11-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Agree, agree agree :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Just wanted to post a little update.

Duke has two homes lined up for him. We are waiting on one to contact us and then we will go from there. If we don't hear anything then there is another wonderful family that he will go to.

I'm going to miss the little stinker :(, but I know this is the right thing for him. :love:

Karen
11-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh, that's good news. Thanks for letting us know!

IRescue452
11-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Aww that's too bad. Not all adoptions work out though. At least you are doing right by your current pets and giving up the new dog. So many irresponsible people give up the old pet when it doesn't work out because they are into the new pet now. At least you're trying to get him into a place with people who have interest in finding him the perfect home. Good luck Duke :love:.

happylabs
11-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Wow...I would never bash you for this. Sometimes pets just do not work out. I am sorry for you that you have to give him up. It is not easy. I have had to do that many years ago.

Glad you are finding him a better place.

Alysser
11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
First of all, if someone even thinks about bashing you, well personally I think they're an idiot. Every re-homing situation is SO different. If you were to just abandon him at a shelter or give him back to his old home, I'd be mad, but you are taking the time to find him a really good home or place him in a rescue that'll find him a GREAT home. Bri, this is the same thing as "fostering". I think it's fantastic that you took him out of that terrible situation and TRIED, and you're still doing great by him in finding him this excellent home which he will get thanks to you. Don't feel bad, not all adoptions work out. In a perfect world, every pet would get along so we could have a ton each, but that's not how it is. You have to adopt a dog with the idea that it *MAY* not work out.

I think he's looking so much better! His eyes look great! Please keep updated on his condition and when he gets a home. He's such a cute little boy. Hope you find the right home for him and a good dog for you guys! You'll know the right dog when it comes along.

FurkidsMom
11-08-2011, 04:51 PM
There are people out there would have just taken Duke to the nearest pound or worse. You've done the best you can and are being compassionate and loving in finding him a good, new home. I have 2 cats and got a new dog when my old girl died in Feb. One cat would not come inside anymore and the other started going on the carpet. I was thinking of giving up Mindy to a new home but stuck w/it and eventually 3 months later, all came around BUT it doesn't always happen that way. I know you'll miss him but a new forever home is in his future.

Roxyluvsme13
11-09-2011, 07:35 AM
His new family came and got him last night. They are a couple with a daughter (Duke loves kids, so this is good.)

I cried for a little while after he left, but I know he's going to be happy. They're going to love him and spoil him rotten. Heck, they drove over an hour just to come get him, so they obviously really want him :).

chocolatepuppy
11-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Good luck with your new family Duke!:)

Taz_Zoee
11-09-2011, 09:37 AM
As hard as it was this is the best thing for all of you.

You did the right thing. And now you know to see how the other animals will react to a new pet before committing to anything. Lesson learned. :) It's tough with cats and dogs though. You can't exactly take the cat to the shelter to see how it interacts with the dog. But maybe you could find a dog that has lived with cats before so you know its a good match for your household.

luvofallhorses
11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
You didn't have him for very long, it takes a long time for all animals to adjust to another animal in the home that is new. You have to keep that in mind if you decide to bring another dog home.

I do hope this new family it works out for Duke. Are they are going to have him neutered I hope?

Roxyluvsme13
11-10-2011, 06:45 AM
As hard as it was this is the best thing for all of you.

You did the right thing. And now you know to see how the other animals will react to a new pet before committing to anything. Lesson learned. :) It's tough with cats and dogs though. You can't exactly take the cat to the shelter to see how it interacts with the dog. But maybe you could find a dog that has lived with cats before so you know its a good match for your household.
Yeah, we've discovered that. The next dog we look into we're going to have Lily meet him beforehand and then do a home visit if it's possible. If Domino and Tallulah don't react too badly, hopefully they will adjust.

You didn't have him for very long, it takes a long time for all animals to adjust to another animal in the home that is new. You have to keep that in mind if you decide to bring another dog home.

I do hope this new family it works out for Duke. Are they are going to have him neutered I hope?
Yeah, I've realized that. I don't think my mom liked Duke very much either, so that was one reason she said we have to get rid of him :rolleyes:. I wasn't going to let her throw him out the door, so I found him a home. I absolutely adored him, but now I know he's somewhere where they are going to love him and take excellent care of him.

And yes, they got him neutered yesterday :).

luvofallhorses
11-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Well I am glad everything worked out for him. :) Next time you should both be on the same page picking out a dog. :)

snakemama
11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
You pulled him out of a bad situation and found him a good situation, what more could a doggy want? I've had potential keepers who turned into fosters when they turned out not to be a great fit for my household. (A biting cocker spaniel who hated kids when we still had kids in the house, and a boa who was very docile when I got her because she was so sick....then as she got healthier with good husbandry and veterinary care she get nastier and nastier...until she was a healthy snake who I was terrified of.) I worked hard to find the right home for both of those animals, and it worked out great for everyone involved.

Roxyluvsme13
11-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Well I am glad everything worked out for him. :) Next time you should both be on the same page picking out a dog. :)
Yeah, we've discussed that we're going to think the next dog through a lot better, meet it several times before bringing it home and evaluate it with the pets to see if it will work. :)

You pulled him out of a bad situation and found him a good situation, what more could a doggy want? I've had potential keepers who turned into fosters when they turned out not to be a great fit for my household. (A biting cocker spaniel who hated kids when we still had kids in the house, and a boa who was very docile when I got her because she was so sick....then as she got healthier with good husbandry and veterinary care she get nastier and nastier...until she was a healthy snake who I was terrified of.) I worked hard to find the right home for both of those animals, and it worked out great for everyone involved.
Well I'm glad you had success stories with your pets too. I felt awful about having to do this, but it was definitely the best thing for him.

Oh, and the person that took him is supposed to email me updates, so if I get any of those, I'll keep everyone else updated too :).

caseysmom
11-11-2011, 11:28 AM
You did good, you saw a dog in a bad situation and you made it better for him.

Roxyluvsme13
11-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Emailed Duke's new family yesterday!

He is doing GREAT. Recovering nicely from his neuter, and he has already put on five pounds! He is in such a great place now and he is making his new family very happy.

They have a "riding blanket" for him that he must have when he rides in the car now :D.

I'm so glad that I did this for him. He is doing so well and I couldn't be happier for him.