PDA

View Full Version : Whistle Recall Training

Alysser
11-05-2011, 01:02 PM
I am starting to work with Mikey on training again, particularly recall. I'm doing what they call "whistle recall". It's PERFECT for him. He WILL not listen to me if I just call him unless I have his full attention. So far, he has paid attention almost everytime I blow the whistle. I will NEVER be able to trust him completely off-lead (he's part beagle), but I want the whistle for calling him in the yard and for fenced areas. Who know? If I can get perfect recall, then we'll see but as of now we've been practicing in my yard, he still has the leash dragging behind him but so far he's listening. I was just tired of having him on a tie-out in the yard, sure it works, but I'd like him to listen to me.

I got this idea from the Animal Planet show "it's me or the dog".

Today was the first day, I just started blowing the whistle and when he followed me I gave him treats. He started wondering off and I blew it. The longest he took to come over to me was 4 blows of the whistle, not to bad. I had to get in his face a few times but he is just starting out.

Anyway, do you guys have any tips? Just wondering. :) Thanks!

Taz_Zoee
11-05-2011, 01:38 PM
This sounds like something I could do with Zoee....except she would probably be afraid of the whistle....:rolleyes:
I think you are doing great! Just keep it up and things should work out. Mr Mikey is so darn cute I'm sure he's a good student. :D

Freedom
11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
He he, try training when he is HUNGRY, like 2 hours prior to his meal. See if that helps get the message through. And don't bother training for at least 2 hours after he has eaten - he is digesting and looking for interesting things, snacks mean NOTHING at that point. This will help reinforce what he has to do when he hears that whistle!

Sounds like you are on the right track!

Sirrahsim
11-07-2011, 06:11 AM
hmmm this sounds like something that we should try with Ruby!

MonicanHonda
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Whistle training is great :) But you want him to come with one whistle right? So wen you blow it four times and then he comes, he's learning that you can blow it quite a few times and he will still get rewarded when he eventually comes. I would start in your house or have him on a longer lead and blow, treat, blow, treat quite a few times. Like how we associate good things with the clicker, click treat click treat. Do this for a few minutes a couple times a day so he knows whistle equals treat. Then take it off leash and blow, let him come (because he knows what it means), treat. Eventually, when it is really stuck in his head, you can start alternating your reward. Beagles are smart, he'll pick it up in no time. :)