PDA

View Full Version : Do Your Pets Notice the Switch From Daylight Saving Time?

Catty1
11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pets-notice-switch-daylight-saving-time-215405656.html

You might think it unlikely that this weekend's switch from daylight saving time (DST) to standard time could throw your cat or dog's busy schedule — eat, sleep, eat, sleep — off-kilter. But, as it turns out, some animals are so in tune with their owners' schedules that falling back an hour can cause our furry friends some confusion.

Just like humans, animals have their own internal clocks that tell them when to eat, sleep and wake up. This biological timekeeper, also known as circadian rhythm, is set in motion by natural sunlight. However, for pets this effect is minimized by the artificial environment they live in, where light comes and goes not only with the rising and setting sun, but most often with the flip of a switch.

Taz_Zoee
11-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Yes!! When Taz was with me he always woke me up around 5am (which is my normal weekday schedule) to be fed, even on weekends. With time changes he still woke me up at the regular 5am time for a few days.

The dogs wake me up around 7am on weekends (Bruce feeds them during the week) to be fed. With time changes they still wake me up the first day at the old time. Again, it takes them a while to get on the new schedule.

Randi
11-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Ha! Fister certainly didn't, he woke me up an hour before I was to get up, BUT... he soon got into the routine. ;)

We had the change last week. Hate when it's getting dark so early!

chocolatepuppy
11-05-2011, 12:04 PM
My furkids usually take a few days to adjust.

redbird
11-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Autumn will wake me up an hour earlier tomorrow, I go through this every year with her. She doesn't know the difference, she only listens to her tummy. After a couple of days she gets back on the normal feeding time but tomorrow I know I will be up feeding her an hour early ;)

Karen
11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Miss Hoppy always took a couple days to adjust. The only "time" she cared about was "RAISIN TIME!!!!! 11 o'clock" and I'd have to tell her "not yet" and avoid touching anything that would sounds like the ziplock bag the box of raisins was kept in for the next hour!

Randi
11-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I think for Fister it depends on the light and the sound of the birds in the tree outside the window.

Have a good sleep-in! :D :rolleyes:

Marigold2
11-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Mine know when it is time to eat.

pomtzu
11-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Yup - mine go by the belly and the pee schedules. They'll be up an hour earlier tomorrow. It takes them a while to adjust. :(

happylabs
11-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I honestly don't remember but I guess I will find out tomorrow morning.

phesina
11-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Ha! Fister certainly didn't, he woke me up an hour before I was to get up, BUT... he soon got into the routine. ;)

We had the change last week. Hate when it's getting dark so early!

Same here.. Mine will be expecting breakfast at 4:00 tomorrow morning and Sydney in particular will be trying to get me up then. It will take a few days before they get used to the new routine.

Funny... they make the switch TO Daylight Savings Time in no time!

I also hate it getting dark an hour earlier. At least since we're at the far end of the Eastern time zone here, it isn't as early as some places. I'm writing this now at about 6pm, and it's only just starting to get dark. There is still the last bit of sunlight to be seen. This is how it will be at 5pm tomorrow.

When I first moved to the East Coast, which is at the beginning of the Eastern time zone, was I in for a shock when I saw it starting to get dark around 3:30-4:00pm when Daylight Savings Time ended!

cassiesmom
11-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Gosh, I'm not sure! Interesting question, though! We don't have a very good schedule in place right now because I had three different start times for training this week. One day was at 9, two days were at 8 and two at 8:30. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

I have a hard time adjusting to the time changes. This one is harder for me than the springtime one.

Pinot's Mom
11-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Notice?? Oy! Normal weekday time to get up is 6:20. Weekends we try and stretch a little. Not this morning!! Welcome back from Daylight Savings Time! Pinot started at 5:30. I don't leave (hubby is out of town) for church until 9:30. I'll have a whole day until then. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Bonny
11-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Yup - mine go by the belly and the pee schedules. They'll be up an hour earlier tomorrow. It takes them a while to adjust. :(

That happened here at 4:30 this morning. ;)

sasvermont
11-06-2011, 08:15 AM
No, they stick to their schedule. :rolleyes::rolleyes: They could care less that we decided to change the clocks AGAIN!;);)

pomtzu
11-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Mine were up at 3 a.m. - which would be two hours before the norm. And I was dreading the one hour difference. However, after taking them outside for a potty call, I made them come back to bed with me till 6. I sure hope they do better tomorrow morning!!! :p

happylabs
11-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Well, I didn't notice any change but then I do not have a completely regular schedule as far as when I go to bed and get up. They just wait for me usually unless I really try to sleep in and then Buddy will get on the dresser and start knocking things down.

dab_20
11-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't think mine really notice. They don't wake me up- they KNOW they need to stay quiet or sleeping until I'm ready to wake up- LOL (except on the rare occasions they really have to go potty). Although they usually get fed around the same time everyday- between 730-9- and then in the afternoon around 530, I wake up at diff times everyday.

Alysser
11-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Doubt it, Mikey is dead asleep till 10:30 at LEAST. He likes sleeping in, just like his mommy.:D