PDA

View Full Version : Apple and Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

jennielynn1970
11-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Per Karen's Request on FaceBook, here is the recipe. It sounds funny, but is totally delicious!!!

Apple and Butternut Squash Soup

3-4lbs butternut squash
6 apples, peeled and diced (Macintosh work best, or another that breaks down easily)
1 large onion, diced
2 Tbsp veg. oil
6 cups chicken broth
1-2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 - 1 tsp allspice
1 tsp white pepper
1/3 to 1/2 c. maple syrup
1 tsp salt
3/4 c. heavy cream

Prick squash with a fork all over, then wrap in plastic
wrap and microwave about 5-6 minutes to get skin
tender enough to take skin off with a knife. Cut up
squash into small pieces, and take out the seeds and
nuke until very soft.

In a large pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook till
transparent. Add apples and cook until soft. Add
squash and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat
and simmer for 45 minutes. Add spices and adjust
seasonings with maple syrup and salt. Cool completely.
Puree in an emulsion blender or a large food processor, adding
the heavy cream to give a silky smooth consistency.

**I was told that tofu can be substituted for the cream. Never tried it, but they say that it gets just as creamy in soups, but has less fat and calories.

Karen
11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
I'll have to try this some time, as apples and butternut squash are both on on list of things I am NOT allergic to! And I can sometimes find a chicken stock that does NOT have celery and carrots in it, it just takes some careful shopping!

caseysmom
11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I'll have to try this some time, as apples and butternut squash are both on on list of things I am NOT allergic to! And I can sometimes find a chicken stock that does NOT have celery and carrots in it, it just takes some careful shopping!

Make your own chicken broth....its way better anyway.

jennielynn1970
11-10-2011, 07:51 PM
I agree.... make your own broth. That's what I do. Just take chicken, add water, bake it, and you get your broth. You could also cook it, but I think it's better baked. More flavor that way. If you're not allergic to herbs, you could also add some of them to the chicken and have some herb flavored broth.

I just finished all the soup I made. I want to make some more, but have to wait until next week until I get paid to buy more butternut squash, as my dad's squash in his garden were all rotted by the heavy rains we got this year. I ate the last of it tonight with a boneless pork chop, it was a yummy combo.

Karen
11-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I've never made chicken broth without adding carrots, onions and celery and boiling it, so that would be an experiment (as I am now allergic to both carrots and celery).

caseysmom
11-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I bet it would be good with just Karen friendly stuff in it...give it a try...

moosmom
11-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks, Jen!! I'm doing to make it for Thanksgiving to bring to my daughter's house.