PDA

View Full Version : Pet Lovers, Pathologized

phesina
11-03-2011, 07:47 PM
From the New York Times, Sunday Oct. 30:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/the-pathology-of-dependence-on-animals/

lizbud
11-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I enjoyed this article very much. It's interesting that a lot of people
find "pet lovers" strange or somehow different that "normal" people. I see
nothing strange at all with the animal/ human friendship. It makes me
hopefully, a better person because of it.:) Thanks for posting this.:D

chocolatepuppy
11-05-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm probably happier than most of the people who think I'm strange for loving animals.:D

happylabs
11-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Happier living with pets!

Who cares what they think anyway. :D

phesina
11-05-2011, 05:22 PM
My whole life now pretty much revolves around animals, especially cats, and people who also care a great deal about and for animals. Even the non-animal-fanatics I know know I love them and don't give me any hard time or arguments about it. I'm rather insulated from those with opposing attitudes and their actions.

I was shocked when I read this article to learn that we are apparently in something of a minority and are regarded as weirdos by so many members of the rest of the population. Here I was thinking that the human race was becoming more aware of the human/nonhuman-animal bonds and benefits therefrom and in general becoming more civilized and humane. Silly me!

pomtzu
11-05-2011, 06:06 PM
At least my pets love me for just being me, and they want nothing more from me than love (and of course their food). :p I wish I could say that friends over the years have wanted nothing more than friendship.......:mad:

I have a sweatshirt that has a pic of a cute dog on the front and it says "Life is better when shared with a dog". :love: I can't begin to tell you how many (positive) comments I have received on it from total strangers. Apparently a lot of other folks agree with that statement. :D

I have another sweatshirt with another cute pup that says "A dog wags his tail with his heart". I have several other dog and cat sweatshirts too - guess everyone has me figured out from my wardrobe. :eek: