PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crabs!!

aly
11-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Just wondering who here has hermit crabs and if you could show me a pic of their "crabitat". Thanks!

Cookiebaker
11-11-2002, 05:25 AM
We had hermit crabs when we were growing up...it was the only pet that my dad would allow. They are really interesting critters...we used to let them crawl around the house *under supervision*...but they are nocturnal, so you don't normally see much action from them...and then they bump in the night (sound of their hard shell crashing against the glass cage)

aly
11-11-2002, 01:34 PM
I used to have some crabbies when I was in 6th grade. I've been doing a lot of reading on them and have re-fallen in love with the critters. I've read a lot of old threads on here where people don't think highly of them but I just can't help it.

I've ordered a bunch of equipment from petdiscounters.com including a large hermit crab cage, thermometer, humidity gauge, heater, bunch of things to climb on, bowls, books, etc etc etc. All that actually didn't cost that much. Saved about 30% on every item. Oh, you should see some of the cute shells they have on that site.

I'm planning on getting 3 jumbo crabs. I just don't know when. I wanna be sure to have everything set up and read all the books completely before I get any.

I still want cockatiels and ferrets and more dogs and cats but I ifgured this would be the easiest pet to get to hold me over until I move.

:D

Logan
11-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Aly, we have had hermit crabs, off and on, for the last 6-7 years, but we have not been very successful with them. I guess the longest any one of them lived was maybe 18 months, which is quite depressing when they pass. I think you have gotten much more information and equipment than we ever thought of. Ours was a plactic enclosure, with a lid, and lots of things for them to climb on and lots of extra shells for them to move to. But they just never worked out. When we moved last week, we discovered the two hermit crab cages, and Helen immediately said, "let's get some more hermit crabs", but I think we have enough right now. And Scott agrees.......and after all, we do have him to consider these days!!!

Logan

Pheebs
11-12-2002, 02:54 PM
I'm afraid to say I've always been scared of hermit crabs! They skuttle about like spiders which also give me the creeps!:(

aly
11-12-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Logan
and Helen immediately said, "let's get some more hermit crabs", but I think we have enough right now. And Scott agrees.......

"Buuuuuuuuuuut moooom, what's two more???"
"I promise I'll take care of them!"
"Puuuhhhlease, I'll never ask for anything else again!"

Psssst...Helen, try those on your mom!

Twisterdog
11-12-2002, 05:12 PM
I got two hermit crabs for my son when he was five years old. They were kind of cool, although he soon lost interest ... being five years old. So they became mom's hermit crabs, like every other pet in the house. ;)

My son named them HorseyJoat and MinnieOat. I have NO clue why, but I have always thought that was just the cutest thing! :D

SANDY FROST
11-13-2002, 01:47 AM
YES I HAVE 3 HERMIT CRABS BUT NO PICTURES YET. ONE DAY I'LL GET A CAMERA OR SCANNER. I ONLY HAD MY CRABS 2 MONTHS. HAD 2 AT FRIST.
ONE MEDIUM AND ONE SMALL ONE. THE SMALL ONE DIDN'T MAKE IT THROUGH THE MOULT.
I LEARNED LATER THAT IT BETTER FOR BEGINNERS LIKE ME TO HAVE BIGGER ONES AS THEY ARE TOUGHER. I HAVE CRUSTY,MR. KRABBS AND KATO.
KATO STARTED A NEW TREND. CHANGE YOUR SHELL OFTEN AND CONFUSE THE OWNER TRICK.
IT WORKED FOR AWHILE BUT I SOON LEARNED TO IDENTIFY THEM. THEY LIKE TO CLIMB ALOT. THEY ALSO LOVE TO B URY THEMSELVES.
SANDY FROST

CathyBogart
11-19-2002, 08:01 PM
I don't believe Hermit Crabs should be kept in captivity. Here is my reasoning:

In the wild, these are very active, social creatures. In captivity people usually buy them such tiny enclosures. Many of the customers who come into my workplace won't even spend $20 on a ten gallon aquarium! >.<

The BIGGEST reason I think hermit crabs should be left in the wild is this: In the wild, hermit crabs frequently live to be more than 75 years old. In captivity they rarely live to be four years old.

I had a few of these briefly in my childhood, and if I ever get them again I will have a BIG enclosure, among other things. I odubt I ever will, though, because selling these animals in the pet trade is a waste of most of their life, and I would not want to support it.

On a completely different note: I really enjoyed them when I had them. A quick spritz of water and they were up and about and all over the place. I was wary of handling them after a few pinches, but I definitely loved watching them. Maybe someday when we learn enough about them to take care of them properly I will get some more.

CathyBogart
11-20-2002, 04:29 PM
You seem to have misunderstood me. What I meant was that until we figure out a way to keep them happy enough that they live out their natural lifespan in captivity I will not have any more.

As for enclosures, did you note that I said *usually*? I never said that YOU kept YOUR crab in a tiny enclosure. Also, My crabs all enjoyed being spritzed. They were active regardless, but they really liked to be sprayed. I don't feel that I was mistreating my animals by doing something that they loved.

I believe that once people have better learned the needs of these charming little guys they will make excellent LONG-term pets.

I am not, however, going to take an animal into my home if it is not going to be able to live out even 1/10th of its natural lifespan. Not only that, I do not believe in wild catching animals to keep as pets. Each and every hermit crab sold in pet stores was wild caught, as they do not reproduce in captivity.

Here's a link off of PETA's kid section on hermit crabs.

http://www.peta.org/kids/hermitcrab.html