PDA

View Full Version : My Pet Talk Meeting in Williamston, MI

moosmom
11-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Hi everybody!

Well I just got back from my visit with Ramanth (Kim), her boyfriend Andy and of course, Kia.

I had a great time but couldn't stay very long (about 3 hours). It was pouring out!! We tried to catch the other kitten but he is VERY elusive. I think we're going to have to get a trap.

While we were out there, there was a pregnant black tiger that I was feeding sardines too. She was ravenous! As I put the can closer to me, I started petting her. I grabbed her by the nap of the neck to get her into a carrier but she was VERY squiggly. She tried to get away and both Kim and I had our hands on her. She managed to get away, but only after my little pinky got stuck on her tooth. Needless to say I left a bloody trail. It's okay now. I rinsed it with peroxide, cold water and put ice on it. I have a bandaid on it because everytime I bend it, it starts to bleed again. I think she bit me clear down to the bone and that's why it hurts. There was no way in hell I was going to the emergency room to have needles stuck in it and have it stitched up. Okay, so I'm a baby. I'll live.

Anyway...(ahem), Kia is a beautiful dog and very loving. The minute I met Kim and Andy I felt very comfortable, like I've known them a long time. I hope we can meet again and this time make plans to do something.

Oh, did I mention I brought the little black and white kitty home with me??? I named him Eli. Kim has decided to keep Patches (I had no doubt) :rolleyes:

Kim, I really did enjoy myself. Andy's a great guy. Cincy's Mom invited me to go to Ohio with you guys next weekend. I'll call you to find out what the plans are. I just might take her up on the invitation. I'd love to meet others from the site.

I'll post the pictures in the next thread.

moosmom
11-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Me and Kim.

moosmom
11-10-2002, 07:17 PM
Kim and Andy.

moosmom
11-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Eli.

moosmom
11-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Mama Patches (isn't she beautiful??). Her motor was running the whole time :rolleyes: . Tell me she doesn't feel right at home.

moosmom
11-10-2002, 07:20 PM
And last, but certainly not least, heeeeeeere's Kia!!

jenluckenbach
11-10-2002, 07:21 PM
I love Eli !!!!!!!!!

Wow, you got to make friends and a new furbaby. I am so jealous.

aly
11-10-2002, 07:26 PM
I'm jealous too! You guys had a wonderful meeting and you gained a new precious kitty all in one day!! :D Great pics!

mugsy
11-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the pictures Donna. Your little addition is very cute.

AmberLee
11-10-2002, 08:19 PM
Wow! Sounds like a great meeting. Well, minus the 'owie' part... :rolleyes:

Little Eli is sooooo cute - love the spots on her(?) nose.

Thank you for sharing the photos with all of us. So neat!

gini
11-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Oh you guys, I am jealous too...........but the good kind of jealous.
How terrific you got together and met each other and Kia too.

Donna, I am sorry about your finger.............take good care, bites can be serious.

Patches is just beautiful!

ramanth
11-11-2002, 07:48 AM
Great pics!

It was so great meeting you too! :D Eli is such a cute name. :) It really suits him.

Yeah.. momma cat is really growing on me. I renamed her Zam after my favorite Bounty Hunter from the Star Wars universe. Her favorite sound is her bag of food rattling. ;)

Her and Kia are still feeling each other out, but I'm sure they'll become good buddies soon. :)

I saw the tiger tabby again just after I got off the phone with you. I tried to approach her and she took off.

We'll definately have to get together again.

Hope your finger is feeling better. :(

Kia and Zam say hi. :)

moosmom
11-11-2002, 08:04 AM
Hi Kim!

It was so great meeting you and Andy. I'm glad you're keeping Zam. She's a wonderful cat and I think that she and Kia will do fine. Especially if there's been no growling, hissing or blood shed.

Eli is doing okay. I got him to purr last night. I put him on my chest and we fell asleep together. The sound of his purr put me right out. I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow for his distemper vaccine. I have a feeling he's younger than 9 weeks, as he looks awfully small. But what an appetite!! He ate a whole can of Fancy Feast. I'm going to get him canned kitten food tonight.

I think we definitely spooked the Mama tiger yesterday. I just hope she IS someone's pet and not a stray. I'm very curious as to whether or not she's been vaccinated for rabies. I REALLY don't want to go through the series of shots if at all possible. Can you ask Tammy to find out?? I'm going to a walk-in clinic on my lunch hour just to be on the safe side. Will let you know what they say.

Give Kia and Zam a smooch for me and let Zam know that Eli is in great hands.

ramanth
11-11-2002, 08:13 AM
There's been a little hissing, but only when Kia gets really nosy. Kia's smart enough to know that when they hiss to back off. This morning they were both flopped down on the floor sleeping. :D

I forgot to mention, when Andy and I were at the Pet Store, he was looking at the cats stands and he's like...hmmmm.... $300 that's a bit much... I could make one of these.....

LOL! Just not sure where I'd put one!

I'll check again with Tammy.

Sudilar
11-11-2002, 09:07 AM
Great pics! Thanks for sharing and saving the kitties! I really hope your finger is ok and you don't have to go through the shots. How scary. Let us know, please!

jenluckenbach
11-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Donna,
your comment on rabies shots stirred my brain onto remembering that you will probably at least want to get a booster tetanus shot.

Rachel
11-11-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
I'm going to a walk-in clinic on my lunch hour just to be on the safe side. Will let you know what they say.

Thank goodness. I was a little concerned her because you had a puncture wound and infection might be an issue.

moosmom
11-11-2002, 11:33 AM
I recently got a tetanus shot so I'm covered there. I'm going after work to the clinic cuz there's too long a wait. It's infected because the redness has traveled on my hand. They'll probably just give me antibiotics. The cut is healing so I know there won't be any stitches.

Thanks for your concern guys!

Sudilar
11-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Well, Donna, I'm worried. I hope it can be cleared up quickly. Please let us know. :(

ramanth
11-11-2002, 11:54 AM
I recently got a tetanus shot so I'm covered there. I'm going after work to the clinic cuz there's too long a wait. It's infected because the redness has traveled on my hand. They'll probably just give me antibiotics. The cut is healing so I know there won't be any stitches.

Thanks for your concern guys!

EEEK!!!! I knew we should of taken ya to the hospital. :(

Darn sardine juice got in the cut.

Tammy had told me that the tabby was owned, but if they let her roam free like that and unaltered, I wouldn't risk saying that they have her shots updated, if given at all. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Fett
11-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Great to meet you too, Donna! :) Sorry about your hand, but glad your new kitty brings you happiness.

Kim......."I renamed her Zam after my favorite Bounty Hunter from the Star Wars universe. "

WHAT?!?!?! GRRRRRRRR

;)

ramanth
11-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Fett
Kim......."I renamed her Zam after my favorite Bounty Hunter from the Star Wars universe. "

WHAT?!?!?! GRRRRRRRR

;)

Fine... favorite FEMALE bounty hunter. ;) :p

Everyone knows my favorite Male bounty hunter is Jango. LOL!

anna_66
11-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Did I miss something? You guys got new kitties:confused: And got to meet each other?!

Nomilynn
11-11-2002, 09:31 PM
I'm a little confused too, but I'm glad you had fun! :D

Sudilar
11-11-2002, 10:24 PM
Any news on the doctors visit??

shais_mom
11-11-2002, 11:40 PM
Gosh Donna I do hope your finger is healing. Cat bites are not something to play with.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves!!! Sweet!!
AND please come to our meeting we would LOVE to have you!!!!

Sudilar
11-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Since we haven' heard from you, I really hope that you are ok. Please let us know!

moosmom
11-12-2002, 08:53 AM
Hi everybody!

My finger looks pretty nasty. I left work early yesterday because I kept banging the damn thing. I waited an hour and a half at this totally incompetent walk-in clinic and finally left. I ended up going to Wyandotte Urgent Care Center. I was in an out in an hour. The doctor told me that animal bites are nothing to take lightly. They can do more damage in less than 48 hours if not taken care of properly. I knew I should've poured Jack Daniels on it!! :p

They put me on antibiotics (Augmentin at $84!!) and marked my arm telling me if the redness goes past it to get my butt back to the ER. I got up this morning and the redness is subsiding. The doctor wants me to have the series of rabies vaccines but I don't know. I'm a baby but it might not be such a bad idea, especially after what Kim said about the cat roaming and questioning whether her shots are up to date. I'll let you know more when I talk to the doctor. Like I said, don't worry, I'll live.

Shais_mom,

I talked to Kim last night and I would LOVE to go to the meeting. I can even drive if there are others who would like to go. We can do a caravan. I'm excited about meeting everyone! This is going to be SO cool!!

Eli is doing well and has an apetite like a horse. I was supposed to bring him to the vet this morning at 10:30 but have to put it off. He's a little lovebug once you pick him up but he's still scared and hides under the bed. He's VERY vocal when he's hungry though.

Sudilar
11-12-2002, 09:04 AM
Glad to hear that the redness is subsiding. Good luck if you decide on the rabies shots.

ramanth
11-12-2002, 09:08 AM
Donna, I'm happy to hear the redness is subsiding.

Zam has been getting pretty vocal about her feeding times now too....so that must be where Eli gets it from. :D

moosmom
11-12-2002, 10:30 AM
I just got back from taking Eli to the vet. He got his first distemper shot and a dose of Drontyl (for worms). The vet said he's very healthy and weighs 3 lbs!! I'm taking MooShoo to be tested for FIP (again) to see if he is still carrying the virus. If he does, I'm afraid I'll have to find Eli a home. Don't want him coming down with it. The disease is worse for kittens than cats. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll keep 9 1/2 of mine crossed :D .

ramanth
11-12-2002, 10:50 AM
I have my fingers and toes crossed!!! :)

shais_mom
11-12-2002, 12:50 PM
I never knew animal bites were that serious until I was watching emergency vets one time and this lady's cat got severly injured and when she was trying to help it, it kept biting her, and when she took it to Alameda and they told her to get her butt to the hospital asap. And she almost lost her hands.
That is funny you went to Wyandotte urgent care, I work at Wyandot Memorial and Live in Wyandot County!!! (OH)

Hope to see you Sunday!!

moosmom
11-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Shais_Mom,

Animal bites can turn very serious very quickly. The doctor told me if I had waited one more day I'd be in the hospital. I am going to go through the rabies series. I had planned to at one time anyway because I am in animal rescue. But I my insurance at work doesn't take effect till Dec. 1 and the shots need to begin by tomorrow at the latest from what the doctor said. So I'm looking into a "free clinic" or a "hardship program" at the hospital where I can get them at a discount.

What I find a little disturbing is when I told people I was bitten by a cat (only when they ASKED), they gave me a look like ALL cats bite. I assured them it was NOT the cat's fault, that she was scared and was only defending herself.

Can't wait to meet everyone on Sunday! I'll show you my boo-boo. :D

luckies4me
11-12-2002, 06:42 PM
You should post a pic, hehe!:p

shais_mom
11-13-2002, 12:00 AM
Actually Donna, I knew that animal bites were serious but I didn't know cat bites could be so deadly just from a single bite, until I watched evets the one day.
I am glad you got it taken care of quickly, And I will check out your boo-boo!! ;) :p

ramanth
11-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Ohhh! We get to show off battle wounds now! :D I can show off the scars I still have from when my cat Chance attacked me. :D

moosmom
11-13-2002, 09:43 AM
I will post a picture when I get home from work. I hope you don't have a weak stomach. Although it DOES look better than it did on Sunday. Kim can attest to that :p

ramanth
11-13-2002, 10:27 AM
I will post a picture when I get home from work. I hope you don't have a weak stomach. Although it DOES look better than it did on Sunday. Kim can attest to that :p

*nods quickly* It's been a long time since I'd seen that much blood. :eek: :(

And THEN we find out that there is also a bite wound on the bottom of her finger as well as the top! :eek:

Sudilar
11-13-2002, 10:31 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: How scary!!!

anna_66
11-13-2002, 02:23 PM
Rabies shots, oh that just sucks:eek: Hope your hand is doing better now!

moosmom
11-13-2002, 06:34 PM
Okay you guys, you asked for it. Here's the picture. I am not going through the rabies shots. I talked to the ACO in Kim's area and he seemed very unconcerned. He said there hadn't been a case of rabies in years. I'm on antibiotics and as long as it clears up the infection, I'll be fine. She was OBVIOUSLY someone's pet and didn't provoke the attack. I did by trying to catch her with my bare hands (DUH!!!). Kim's kitchen sink looked like a pig slaughter! The finger is doing much better now. I can bend it a little more and it doesn't hurt as much as it did. Although bumping it does send a few expletive deletives out of my mouth.

Don't ya think it looks alot better Kim??

Sudilar
11-13-2002, 07:10 PM
WOW!!:eek: That must have been one big cat!!!!!! :eek:

moosmom
11-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Sudilar,

I think she was more terrified than anything else. She just happened to have VERY BIG TEETH!!. :eek: Poor little girl.

ramanth
11-14-2002, 08:42 AM
Don't ya think it looks alot better Kim??

Oh yes! It looks a lot better!

I'm happy you don't have to go thru the series of shots. Like you said, she wasn't acting rabid at all.

In other news... I haven't seen any of the kittens or the tiger tabby since that day. :(

moosmom
11-14-2002, 09:50 AM
Kim,

Eli had a bad case of worms :eek: I saw them :eek: You might want to get some Drontyl for Zam just in case. Kittens almost always have worms when they're born.

Hope she's doing well with Kia.

ramanth
11-14-2002, 10:44 AM
Yikes! I hope Eli is doing okay. I had Momma wormed when I had her vaccinated. So far, so good!

She's getting more and more bold. Today she ran to the living room window when she heard some birds outside. Kia ran over to see what the fuss was all about and both sat staring out the window. :)

She's nippy too. She nipped me in the leg this morning reminding me that her food bowl was empty. :rolleyes: :p

She'll show her belly too but don't rub it! I have the claw marks to prove it. *laughs*

She's a sly one, but always purring and nudging. :)

moosmom
12-11-2012, 11:22 AM
It seems like only yesterday. Miss you!!!

phesina
12-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Donna, if you're coming to visit in Michigan (or northern Ohio or northeastern Indiana or southern Ontario, for that matter) some time, please be sure and let me know! I'd love to meet you (and the others) in Purrrrrson some day!

moosmom
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't plan on it anytime soon, but DEFINITELY!!!! Would love to meet you!

cassiesmom
12-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I didn't realize at first that this is an update to an old thread... I was looking at the picture of Mama Patches and thinking she sure looks a lot like Zam with what I always think of as the Hershey kiss mark on her face :love: Now I know the story behind Zam's name and her "gotcha"!

Donna, if ever you are in the vicinity of Michigan or northern Indiana, please let me know too. I can easily go east from Chicago on either I-90 or I-94.

ramanth
12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Wow, what a blast from the past! My hair is so short! Kia looks so young! And Zam is skinny! :eek: :p ;)

Miss you too! :love:

lizbud
12-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Wow, what a blast from the past! My hair is so short! Kia looks so young! And Zam is skinny! :eek: :p ;)

Miss you too! :love:

Blast from the past for sure. Kia looks like a baby in her picture.:D

and where did all the long ago PT people go???

david p
12-19-2012, 08:24 AM
I don't plan on it anytime soon, but DEFINITELY!!!! Would love to meet you!

Donna, make sure when you make that trip "out west", make sure your first stop is to Concordia personal care in Cabot, Pa.!

moosmom
12-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey honey, that's a no brainer. There's no I wouldn't drive thru concordia on my way. Silly man!! Xoxo