View Full Version : Tips for dealing with migraine pain

Pembroke_Corgi
11-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I thought I made a thread a few years ago, but I couldn't find it. Anyone have any tips to share about how to deal with migraines?

I've been to a neurologist and the migraine medicine he gave me (Sumatriptan) actually makes them worse. Sometimes if I take enough Alieve early enough (I have a prescription strength) it stops them, but it seems like if that doesn't work, nothing helps.

How do you ease your pain when medication doesn't stop the migraine? Any and all tips welcome!

lizbud
11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I thought I made a thread a few years ago, but I couldn't find it. Anyone have any tips to share about how to deal with migraines?

I've been to a neurologist and the migraine medicine he gave me (Sumatriptan) actually makes them worse. Sometimes if I take enough Alieve early enough (I have a prescription strength) it stops them, but it seems like if that doesn't work, nothing helps.

How do you ease your pain when medication doesn't stop the migraine? Any and all tips welcome!

I have migraines too & they can be horrid. It does take time for the med
to build up in your system before it's really effective. How long have you
been taking your medication?

Catty1
11-01-2011, 10:42 AM
The priest at my church had weather migraines for decades. The docs finally figured out that he had been in a 'cluster' for two years. He took an anti-seizure med for two days which broke the cluster - but stopped taking it as it gave him insomnia.

There are anti-seizure meds for migraines, but talk to your doctor first!

kittycats_delight
11-01-2011, 10:42 AM
When I get them there is not much that helps. The one thing I do find that eases them considerably is 1000 mg ibuprofen with a nice double shot espresso. Almost always within 10 minutes it eases off to the point of just being an irritation. I know it's like a band aid as it doesn't get rid of it, just suppresses it for awhile. But it's a godsend when I can't get to the doc for a shot of torodol (sp?).

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Usually caffeine helps me. I gave up all soda except Sprite so I wouldn't have caffeine-deprivation migraines anymore, but even now, the caffeine still helps.

Also, a good portion of the time, sleeping them off helps TONS.

Scooter's Mom
11-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I put on my sunglasses, put an ice pack on my head and lay in a dark room.

I take Zonisamide daily as a preventative - I was on Topamax but it quit being effective. When I get a migraine, I take Maxalt and that helps. Sometimes I take Vicodin but I try not to, because that can cause a rebound migraine. My neurologist gave it to me for emergencies only, when nothing else is working.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who has chronic migraines - 15+ days a month of migraines. They suck! I applied for disability but was told I didn't meet the criteria.

Good luck!

Marigold2
11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Botox works. We see patients for that often.

catnapper
11-03-2011, 04:41 PM
The best thing for me is to take a HOT HOT HOT shower, followed by an ice pack and a dark room.

That is if I have the luxury of dropping everything and succumbing to the migraine. Otherwise, I take 4 Excederine for Migraine. Yes, four. I take the migraine ones only because I like the shape of the pill and the coating. My doctors have repeatedly told me that there is no difference between regular Excederine and Excederine for Migraine. I believe him, but I like the green pills that are coated half green, half white... and if I'm going to swallow 4 pills, I better like how they feel in my mouth :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all of the tips. I'm so sorry that so many people here also get migraines. :(

I have migraines too & they can be horrid. It does take time for the med to build up in your system before it's really effective. How long have you been taking your medication?

The neurologist gave me an rx for 550 mg tablets of Naproxen Sodium (basically extra strength Alieve) for when I feel a headache coming on. If that doesn't work after 20-30 minutes, I'm supposed to take the Sumatriptan. Most of the time the Alieve works, but one time I had the most awful migraine and took the Sumatriptan and it amazingly made it MUCH worse. I haven't tried it again...I have been trying a combo of Alieve/Advil instead, but it doesn't work very well for the really bad headaches.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who has chronic migraines - 15+ days a month of migraines. They suck! I applied for disability but was told I didn't meet the criteria.

I'm so sorry to hear that you get them so often. :(

Karen
11-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Botox works. We see patients for that often.

How does Botox work for migraines?

Catty1
11-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Some info here on a study of Botox and migraines:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20090910/migraines_090912/

http://www.migraines.org/treatment/probotox.htm

Interesting stuff...

Marigold2
11-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Botox has been approved for migraines by Medicare, Medicaid and as far as I know all major health insurances. And yes it does work, our patients are proof of that.

Karen
11-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Botox has been approved for migraines by Medicare, Medicaid and as far as I know all major health insurances. And yes it does work, our patients are proof of that.

Marigold, how does it work? I know it's a "poison" that reduced wrinkles by relaxing the muscles underneath. Where is it injected for a migraine? Are migraines caused by muscles somehow? I am just curious, and as your office does that, I figured I'd ask you!