PDA

View Full Version : Legalization of Marijuana?

dab_20
10-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Just wondering what all your thoughts are on the legalization of marijuana. (In the US, I know it's legal already in most parts of Canada) For my politics class we were asked and about 95% of the class was FOR legalization of marijuana, including me. He picked 3 students for each side, and I was one of them. He then switched us so I have to defend that Marijuana shouldn't be legalized. He says it makes us more educated and we'll be able to defend our opinion better when we become educated about the other side of it. I am also in a Drugs class, learning all about drugs from a view of society and a medical standpoint. We also had a debate in class and 100% of us were for legalizing it.

SO what are your thoughts? Less religious base and more scientific base is what I'm looking for mostly. How do you think it would affect our society as a whole? What's your opinion on the gateway drug theory? On the "amotivational syndrome" theory?

Not that I am some pothead who loves marijuana and think it should be legalized. I acknowledge the bad things about it. But honestly, if it was legalized we could better control the substance. It would reduce crime related to Marijuana and it would greatly reduce the amount of people in the jail system for this drug.
And about kids using it more if it was legalized; I guess it depends where you live, but for me, in high school it would be easier for me to get weed than alcohol. Because alcohol you either have to have an ID, or know an adult that's willing to get it for you. Because alcohol is legal, I think adults and police officers are more open to looking at the signs of teen alcohol abuse. If it was regulated, it would be harder to come into young hands.

I have come to find those that are for or against it put too much emotion into it and thus give over or under exaggerated reasoning. It's hard to come by a solely FACT base opinion. I know it's still considered a Schedule 1 drug (listed as it's potential for abuse, I think it's 1-5, 1 being the most addictive), which IMO is ridiculous because Cocaine and Methamphetamine are also schedule 1 drugs.

I watched The Union, which was very interesting about who makes money off of marijuana. Although they are obviously for legalizing it in the states and give very biased views.

Another thing is, Marijuana is proven to be less harmful to you than Alcohol. So shouldn't we legalize it, make money off of it? Or does our society really need something else to be addicted to? Why is it that alcohol is legal and marijuana still isn't? I know alcohol is a deeply ingrained part of our society, so is this the only reason it's legal and marijuana isn't?

Karen
10-30-2011, 11:40 PM
As someone with asthma, legalizing has the potential to make my life much more miserable. If people could smoke it in public, I'd run into that smoke, which is thicker than cigarette smoke, and frankly, gives me a blinding headache if I as much as smell it. And I know it is more carcinogenic than cigarette smoke ...

And have witnessed the slowed reaction time stoned folks have - driving under the influence of it would be realllllly bad ...

One report you might find interesting:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/483/what-are-the-long-term-health-effects-of-marijuana

I have mixed thoughts on legalization - I see no reason it shouldn't be available for patients who need its anti-nausea effect, etc., but that could open the door of course for more availability in general.

smokey the elder
10-31-2011, 09:34 AM
About the smoking it in public: I think anti-smoking rules would be extended to marijuana.

As far as legalizing it in general: There are way too many people in prison for marijuana-related crimes. Marijuana is a gateway drug all right...a gateway to becoming a more hardened criminal while doing time for it.

I know first hand of someone who was on chemo who used it for medicinal purposes: I don't give a rat's behind if it's placebo effect or not. It clearly helped her get through with minimal nausea and loss of appetite.

I'm kind of dancing around the question; I think the pros for legalizing and regulating it slightly outweigh the cons.

wombat2u2004
10-31-2011, 10:13 AM
That's a tough one.
I'll go light up my bong now and consult with the oracles.
I'll get back to you in the morning. :D

moosmom
10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't know what the big deal is. Booze is legal. They tax the crap out of it.
Why not legalize it and tax it. It would help the deficit. Do I imbibe? No. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm allergic to it.

Another point is that booze is legal, so if they're saying no to they're being hypocritical. JMO

Catty1
10-31-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't recall who it is - but someone here in Canada expressed the opinion (some years ago) that all illegal substances be legalized and available by prescription or some such method.

Why?

It would put the drug dealers and related gangs out of business. Less violence.

Not a bad idea...

Pembroke_Corgi
10-31-2011, 12:25 PM
"Medicinal" marijuana is legal here in Colorado. I put medicinal in quotes because I would estimate that 90% of the people who have a medical marijuana card don't actually need it for medical reasons. The regulations around medical marijuana have tightened up recently, but several years ago it was not uncommon to see sign spinners all over less-than-savory districts of Denver advertising their dispensary (though not all communities have allowed dispensaries; we don't have any in the city I live in, for example).

One of the issues surrounding the legalization of medical marijuana is that it can impair some (but not all, some argue) drivers. The tests to gauge the drug content in the body are not as easily administered as alcohol-level tests (it requires a blood or urine test). If impairment levels vary so much between individuals, and are so hard to measure, how can you regulate this and make sure people on the road are safe?

In addition, marijuana has just as many cancer health risks as cigarettes. Personally, I think the risks outweigh any potential benefit to legalizing it. I think the real problem is sending someone to jail over this- our society jails way too many people (the most in the world).

dab_20
11-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Karen, I think that if they did legalize it, marijuana probably couldn't be smoke on the streets anywhere. Just like you can't go on the streets with alcohol in your hand (In most cities anyways).
But I DO agree with the driving issue, particularly with what Pembrokecorgi stated;

One of the issues surrounding the legalization of medical marijuana is that it can impair some (but not all, some argue) drivers. The tests to gauge the drug content in the body are not as easily administered as alcohol-level tests (it requires a blood or urine test). If impairment levels vary so much between individuals, and are so hard to measure, how can you regulate this and make sure people on the road are safe?

It would be hard to tell for sure whether someone was under the influence of marijuana or not. And if their were a bunch of pot heads on the road, the world would be a scary place.

My main argument for legalizing marijuana is if alcohol is, why not marijuana? Alcohol is proven to be significantly worse for your health than marijuana, and more addictive. (I know Marijuana is a Schedule I drug, techinically, but that's just plan SILLY if you ask me) Why not legalize it and tax it like
moosmom suggested. God knows we could use the economic advantage of it right now...

Gotta run to class, I'll be back on to post more later :)

Karen
11-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Karen, I think that if they did legalize it, marijuana probably couldn't be smoke on the streets anywhere. Just like you can't go on the streets with alcohol in your hand (In most cities anyways).
But I DO agree with the driving issue, particularly with what Pembrokecorgi stated;

Yes, but unlike alcohol, smoke from marijuana will travel under door frames and out windows ... I'd likely just have to avoid certain neighborhoods. In college, people would roll up a damp towel and stuff it under the door in the dorms to try to keep their pot smoking a secret, but we could all smell it anyway, and it would make me ill if I smelled enough of it!

happylabs
11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
"One of the issues surrounding the legalization of medical marijuana is that it can impair some (but not all, some argue) drivers. The tests to gauge the drug content in the body are not as easily administered as alcohol-level tests (it requires a blood or urine test). If impairment levels vary so much between individuals, and are so hard to measure, how can you regulate this and make sure people on the road are safe?

I agree and am against it for this reason. There are enough crazy drivers out there without some of them being high on marijuana in addition.

Why can't people just take legal pills from the doc and be happy like I am. :D

beeniesmom
11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't recall who it is - but someone here in Canada expressed the opinion (some years ago) that all illegal substances be legalized and available by prescription or some such method.

Why?

It would put the drug dealers and related gangs out of business. Less violence.

Not a bad idea...

I agree. As for driving under the influence of drugs, people already do that. Making it legal won't increase or reduce that.

happylabs
11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I agree. As for driving under the influence of drugs, people already do that. Making it legal won't increase or reduce that.

I don't agree with that. I think making it legal will make it too easy for people to partake and then drive.

beeniesmom
11-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I don't know... if a person is responsible enough not to drive after a beer I think they'd be responsible enough not to drive after smoking a joint too.

Asiel
11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't think marijuana will ever be legalized in Canada. They tried to pass a bill legalizing it for medical purposes and it was shot down. I know my doctor would never prescribe it for medical use even if it was legalized. I wouldn't take it for medical purposes even if it was legalized. And I would hate to have it legalized because of the stench it has, some people smoke it in elevators in malls sometimes and I can't get in them, it just reeks.

People smoking it and driving it will be the cause of as many accidents as those who drink and drive. I won't be voting for legalizing it, there's enough problems with drinking without adding drugs.
And before someone says that some prescription drugs can impair your driving yes there are but there is a warning on the bottle that warns you about it. And yes, we do have idiots who disregard the warnings and drive.

catland
11-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I work for a company that has a no (illegal) drug policy and even though I'm not in a safety sensitive position, I abide by that policy to keep my job. But this is my choice to do so. (I'm not interested in pot anyway, so the job thing doesn't really matter to me)

I think pot is a gateway drug - to drug dealers.

Key difference between pot and alchohol is that pot stays in your system for a much longer time.

You don't ever hear of domestic violence cases involving stoners as opposed to drunks.:eek:

I think economics will finally win. There's too much money to be made taxing pot vs. fighting it. I'm all for fighting the truely evil drugs like meth, but going after pot-heads is a waste of time and money.

However, anyone selling to or encouraging the use with minors deserves harsh punishment.