PDA

View Full Version : Meet...

Roxyluvsme13
10-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, as I mentioned on Facebook in our PT group, I had a surprise that I had to post about later...

I wasn't expecting to get another dog anytime soon at all, but SURPRISE! :)

His name is Duke.

He's around 5-6 according to his previous owners... He looks skinny, but trust me, he eats like a horse. His new nickname since being with us is "Garbage Disposal" LOL. I'm going to get him on a higher quality food in the very near future, he's gotta get on some flea meds and get a nail clip, and he's also got to be neutered veeery soon since his previous owners hadn't done that yet either... From the looks of things, he's been passed around a lot and not given the best of care, but now that he's here, that's definitely going to change.

But anyway, meet Duke!
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/DSC_0015-1.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/DSC_0008-1.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/DSC_0005-1.jpg

luvofallhorses
10-29-2011, 07:20 PM
He is cute. :) How are his eyes? They look very red in the bottom which is common in hounds but have your vet check them out.

Freedom
10-29-2011, 07:26 PM
A Bassett! How nice of you to open your home to Duke. Hey, Duke, I think your life is about to change for the better. Welcome to PT!

cassiesmom
10-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey, Duke, I think your life is about to change for the better. Welcome to PT!

I think so too! Hello, Duke! How nice to meet you today! :D

Sowa
10-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Aww he is precious! I love his droopy eyes!:love:

Roxyluvsme13
10-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Thank y'all! I'm really glad I got him out of where he was... I mean, they obviously loved him and everything, but he just wasn't being taken very good care of... He has fleas SO bad. I've washed him in Dawn dishwashing liquid twice and there's STILL fleas. Definitely gotta get him something to get those suckers out of there. Probably the reason why he's so skinny :(.

He is cute. :) How are his eyes? They look very red in the bottom which is common in hounds but have your vet check them out.
His eyes seem to be fine, they don't seem to bother him or anything, but I'll get them looked at just to make sure :).

luvofallhorses
10-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Poor guy. I hope his eyes check out ok! I am just curious how was he a surprise? :o Also if you can't get rid of his fleas, your vet can do it. He probably needs a vet check up anyways as I am sure they didn't take him.

Roxyluvsme13
10-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Poor guy. I hope his eyes check out ok! I am just curious how was he a surprise? :o Also if you can't get rid of his fleas, your vet can do it. He probably needs a vet check up anyways as I am sure they didn't take him.
My mom just randomly agreed "Okay, you can have another dog!" since I'd been asking for one for a while now. So it was kind of a surprise to me that she finally agreed.

Yeah, he definitely does. Will have to add that to the "things to do for Duke" list :p.

prechrswife
10-29-2011, 08:44 PM
He is adorable! So glad he is with you now.:)

Suki Wingy
10-29-2011, 08:46 PM
If he's still got fleas they're probably in your sofa now!

chocolatepuppy
10-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Duke!!!:D

kaycountrygal
10-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Your Duke looks right at home on the couch, so relaxed. I am sure he will have a good home and you'll take great care of him. I'll be glad for you and Duke when you get rid of the fleas.

Crayons09
10-29-2011, 09:34 PM
He is too cute!! :love: Ain't nothing like a hound dog;) By the looks of the bottom of his ears he just visited the water bowl;) Basset hounds are very loving dogs, but boy are they stubborn!! Ole's nickname around my house is "hoover" he is like having a furry little vacuum around the house. I expect tons of pictures of this little cutie!

happylabs
10-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Oh awww awww awww !!!!! Love Bassets! What a handsome lad. Look at that freckly nose. I am so in :love:

Taz_Zoee
10-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Awwww, what a cutie!! So what does Lily think of her new brother? And what does Duke think of his new sister? LOL :D

dab_20
10-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Oh my! I saw his picture on Facebook and was wondering if you got a new addition! Boy, is he ever adorable!! Welcome Duke!

krazyaboutkatz
10-30-2011, 02:47 AM
Congrats!!!:) Welcome to PT Duke.:) He's adorable and I hope he checks out well at the vets and that he'll be able to get rid of his fleas. Hopefully none of the fleas have given him tapeworm.

Varga
10-30-2011, 03:24 AM
Aww, he's adorable. And so squishy! :love:

I gotta ask though, like Suki mentioned, if Duke has fleas won't they be all over the house now and you'll have to do a whole house treatment?

Roxyluvsme13
10-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Awwww, what a cutie!! So what does Lily think of her new brother? And what does Duke think of his new sister? LOL :D
Well, he's really kind of ignoring all the animals right now, LOL. Lily doesn't seem to mind that he's here and neither does Tallulah, but Domino is a little mad. He growls whenever Duke is within his bubble :p.

As for fleas, possibly yeah, we might have to treat the whole house, but he hit the bath tub as soon as he was in the door to minimize the fleas, so we're hoping we didn't get any in the carpet.

The fleas have diminished a LOT after two baths. He'll be getting a third one today and maybe that'll be it until we can get out and get him some flea meds.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments, I think he's fitting in nicely :) and I'll post more pics as soon as I can!

k9krazee
10-30-2011, 08:18 AM
As for fleas, possibly yeah, we might have to treat the whole house, but he hit the bath tub as soon as he was in the door to minimize the fleas, so we're hoping we didn't get any in the carpet.

You WILL have to treat the whole house. It'd be pretty impossible to not get fleas on the carpet ;) And the couch. And the other animals. Etc.

He's cute!

Roxyluvsme13
10-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Guess we'll be buying some Seven dust or something soon then! :p

Here's another picture.

He just got his third bath and I think almost every single flea is gone hurray!

He's so entertaining. I think he fits in with our little zoo nicely :D
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/DSC_0004.jpg

Karen
10-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes, anything upholstered and the carpets could have fleas, and once they get established it's a pain to get them out, so I'd be proactive and treat everything NOW!

And welcome, Duke!

Casper
10-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Oh goodness, Bri! He's such a handsome addition. :love: Congratulations!

Welcome to PT, Duke!

IRescue452
10-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Who would get rid of that sweet guy? Welcome Duke!

Roxyluvsme13
10-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Yes, anything upholstered and the carpets could have fleas, and once they get established it's a pain to get them out, so I'd be proactive and treat everything NOW!

And welcome, Duke!
Will do. Thanks!

Oh goodness, Bri! He's such a handsome addition. :love: Congratulations!

Welcome to PT, Duke!
Thanks! :)

Who would get rid of that sweet guy? Welcome Duke!
I agree, but I'm very glad he came into my life :love:

Well, my mom and I have discovered Duke is hand-shy, so obviously someone has hit him before :(. He's not very well people-socialized as we discovered when we took him to a pet store (which he'd never been to before either). He LOVED the pet store, especially the food aisle, lol. Going to have to make a trip to Petsmart when I have time and get my sweet boy socialized more.

He also has absolutely no manners, especially when it comes to food. He tries to take everyone else's food and he jumps up for food. I'm teaching him he has to sit to get to eat though, and trying to teach him it's not nice to take others food.

Oh, and he's not very well leash-trained either, so we also have to work on that.

I don't understand how someone could be mean to this poor guy. Apparently he lived in a pen with a Mastiff before the previous owners got him and then they clearly didn't take good care of him either seeing as his fleas were awful and he was really dirty.

I'm very glad we "rescued" him and now he's going to have a good home. He is the sweetest dog and I don't understand why he's had to have such a rough life. :(

lizbud
10-30-2011, 05:28 PM
I think I see a big difference in Duke from the first pic and the second.
His coat look so shiny.:) Poor guy deserves a lot of TLC from now on.

Alysser
10-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Sorry I missed this! Duke is so smooshy, I love his little face..:) Congrats, Bri! Thanks for taking him in. His eyes look a little better in the last photo.

So what's the whole story behind Dukey? Where did you get him from, newspaper? craigslist?

Roxyluvsme13
10-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I think I see a big difference in Duke from the first pic and the second.
His coat look so shiny.:) Poor guy deserves a lot of TLC from now on.
I went back and looked and I agree! He is already happier and he smells better and looks better after his 3 baths.

Sorry I missed this! Duke is so smooshy, I love his little face..:) Congrats, Bri! Thanks for taking him in. His eyes look a little better in the last photo.

So what's the whole story behind Dukey? Where did you get him from, newspaper? craigslist?
Thanks! I think they look better too. They look redder in the mornings it seems too... We're just going to have to get them checked out to make sure there's nothing wrong, but I think now that he's cleaner and everything his eyes are probably going to be okay.

Well, I know it wasn't the smartest of things to do, but he actually came off of Craigslist. His owners' friend or someone apparently posted him on there for them and they had to get rid of him because Department of Children's Services told them that they had to get rid of all of their pets. Which now that I think about it, they should have gotten rid of all of them because they weren't caring for any of them very well :( but anyway... I was browsing on Craigslist since I always browse the pet section to see what kind of ridiculous things people post on there. So there it was "Free Basset Hound, call for more information." So, my mom did because she said she'd always wanted a Basset Hound and I've been trying to convince her to get another dog for a while now. I decided that I was ready to be back to being a 2 dog family as it's been over a year since we lost Roxy and everything.

So, she called, we went and met him and we took him home. I feel like we sort of rescued him since he wasn't in very good conditions at all. So, he's my little free Craigslist rescue dog :D. He is such a happy dog, too. He's kind of got the whole goofy stupid happy dog, but he's cute, so it's okay :D

dab_20
10-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Well, I know it wasn't the smartest of things to do, but he actually came off of Craigslist.

I support rescuing from shelters over anything. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with getting an adult dog this way. If he didn't find a home he would've ended up at a shelter anyways.
I just don't support buying puppies from BYBs in ads, those are the people trying to make money off their animals and contributing to over population.

Vette
10-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Oooh hes adorable! congratulations :D
i like the freckles he has on his nose hehe

Alysser
10-31-2011, 06:07 PM
I went back and looked and I agree! He is already happier and he smells better and looks better after his 3 baths.

Thanks! I think they look better too. They look redder in the mornings it seems too... We're just going to have to get them checked out to make sure there's nothing wrong, but I think now that he's cleaner and everything his eyes are probably going to be okay.

Well, I know it wasn't the smartest of things to do, but he actually came off of Craigslist. His owners' friend or someone apparently posted him on there for them and they had to get rid of him because Department of Children's Services told them that they had to get rid of all of their pets. Which now that I think about it, they should have gotten rid of all of them because they weren't caring for any of them very well :( but anyway... I was browsing on Craigslist since I always browse the pet section to see what kind of ridiculous things people post on there. So there it was "Free Basset Hound, call for more information." So, my mom did because she said she'd always wanted a Basset Hound and I've been trying to convince her to get another dog for a while now. I decided that I was ready to be back to being a 2 dog family as it's been over a year since we lost Roxy and everything.

So, she called, we went and met him and we took him home. I feel like we sort of rescued him since he wasn't in very good conditions at all. So, he's my little free Craigslist rescue dog :D. He is such a happy dog, too. He's kind of got the whole goofy stupid happy dog, but he's cute, so it's okay :D

Haha, well the "Clearance Puppies'' are always the best, I would know! :p Mikey was on clearance in the pet store when his first owners bought him, as I was told by the lady. He was then "Free to us" :D I love my clearance puppy too! He reminds me of Mikey with his little confused looking face but he is so cute. :love: I love goofy stupid happy dogs! Mike and Duke would get on very well.

Seriously though, I count getting a dog off craigslist (an adult dog) "rescuing" in a way. I mean, if they can't find a home for said dog, where would he end up? Probably a shelter, so you're just one step ahead. I know Mikey was gonna wind up there if we didn't take him.

Roxyluvsme13
10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
I support rescuing from shelters over anything. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with getting an adult dog this way. If he didn't find a home he would've ended up at a shelter anyways.
I just don't support buying puppies from BYBs in ads, those are the people trying to make money off their animals and contributing to over population.
Oh, I'd never get a puppy from Craigslist if I was looking for one that way, I learned my lesson with BYBs.

I thought of it as rescuing Dukey Duke too :love:

Oooh hes adorable! congratulations :D
i like the freckles he has on his nose hehe
Me too :D Thanks!

Haha, well the "Clearance Puppies'' are always the best, I would know! :p Mikey was on clearance in the pet store when his first owners bought him, as I was told by the lady. He was then "Free to us" :D I love my clearance puppy too! He reminds me of Mikey with his little confused looking face but he is so cute. :love: I love goofy stupid happy dogs! Mike and Duke would get on very well.

Seriously though, I count getting a dog off craigslist (an adult dog) "rescuing" in a way. I mean, if they can't find a home for said dog, where would he end up? Probably a shelter, so you're just one step ahead. I know Mikey was gonna wind up there if we didn't take him.
The clearance puppies are the best :love:. Duke and Mikey will someday have to become acquainted :D.

I'm very glad Mikey got rescued too then :)

Vette
10-31-2011, 08:14 PM
I too also consider it rescue.

i found Kirby in classified ads of all places LOL

lute
11-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Congrats! Bassets are such sweeties!