PDA

View Full Version : Kitty food...

redbird
10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Since I hadn't been around for quite some time, sorry if this question has already been asked in the past.

What do you feed your kitty, canned food or dry food or both. Do you free feed or only feed on schedule. What brand of food do you feed your cuties :)

I feed Autumn Friskies canned food, a half can every morning of a 5 1/2 oz can. She also gets Purina One Indoor dry food that I leave out for her. Her only snacks are Temptations.

So what cuisine do you feed your special furkid.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/BIRTHDAY/HALLOWEEN%20GRAPHICS/028.gif

ToBeEvergreen
10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
:) My gang have a bowl to themselves a day (for each cat), that is about half-way filled. When they are throwing up a lot, we gradually mix in some canned food of the same brand (Friskies), which usually helps. We usually have Friskies dry food, and they like that the best (although Luigi has no preference, he just likes to eat. And drink. Anything!).

aTailOf2Kitties
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I give my guys dry food twice a day. I can't free-feed, Toby will eat all of it.

mrspunkysmom
10-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Mine get Blue Wilderness dry most flavors and Eagle Holistic canned Salmon and Shrimp.

I top off their food with some Blue chunky canned or Friskies appetizers.

Spunky can't eat anything with corn, wheat, or meat byproducts. He gets sick to his stomach or develops stones.

Emily just has a sensitive stomach.

Freedom
10-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Free feeding will often lead to pudgy cats. In the wild, they don't have free access to food, they have to hunt, be active, wear off what they've eaten.

As for food, this link is great for learning what to look for in cat food:
http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

Read some low rated reviews and some high rated reviews. In the wild, the only grains cats ingest are those eaten by their prey and in that stomach. Cats have no way to digest grains on their own. They are obligate carnivores, meaning they must get all their required nutrition from carnivores, nothing benefits them from vegetation. I feed grain free, have done for 3 years now. Those slightly overweight slimmed down nicely with no problems at all. I use Taste of the Wild, the Canyon River formula. My cats aren't keen on the Rocky Mountain formula.

Dry, wet or mixed? I mix. I learned the hard way, after 4 cats developed CRF, and much research, that cats rarely drink water. Again they take in most of the moisture they need from their prey. So I use canned as well. Sparkle was diagnosed with early strage CRF over a year ago; that is when I researched and started using a mix of dry and canned. She has slightly improved! So I keep it up.

Just as for humans, eating properly is part of prevention. I'll pay the extra for a high quality food, and save on the vet bills and heart ache. At least, that is my plan, lol!