PDA

View Full Version : Surgery's done~~I'm home

pomtzu
10-23-2011, 07:43 AM
I actually came home Friday night which was ahead of time, since doc had said this weekend. I'm sure not complaining tho. Surgery went fairly well, and I left my cranky, stoney gallbladder at the hospital.

The morning of surgery started out as planned and we got to the hospital just before the scheduled arrival time of 9:15. Then Murphy's Law kicked in! :mad: I no sooner signed in than the OR charge nurse came out and got us and took us into the conference room, and I knew something was up at that point. It seems an emergency case (a brain bleed) took my scheduled OR suite and all the others were already booked full, and they didn't know how long the emergency procedure would take. I could either cancel and reschedule, wait there, or come back home and they would call us with updates. Since the hospital is only less than a half hour drive, we decided to come back home and take it from there. After several updates, they called a little before 1 and told us to come back in and they would be ready for me when I got there. So off we go to try again. I was taken right in and about 10 nurses and anesthetists were swarming around me like bees, and I was in the OR around 2 - finally! Of course I don't remember anything after that till I woke up in recovery around 5:30.

The next day I really didn't feel too bad at all, even tho doc said it was longer and more difficult than even he knew it would be. I had to have an open procedure rather than laproscopic, due to huge amounts of scar tissue from numerous previous abdominal surgeries. He said everything inside was cemented together with scar tissue, so it was slow going cutting everything away, but he finally got it out. He checked out the common bile duct for stones or tumor, since it was very inflamed and much larger than it should be, but found nothing wrong to be causing that, but my levels are all okay and they will just keep a close check on it.

Thursday I crashed first thing in the a.m. with severe nausea and dry heaves which was probably a delayed after effect of the anesthesia. After several i.v. doses of one med that wasn't working to ease it up, I asked for what I take at home, and that one did the trick. Between the pain meds and that med, it knocked me out for several hours, and when I woke up I felt fine and was actually hungry.

So Friday a.m. doc said I could get the i.v. and catheter out, and if everything was working right, I could go home. Woo-hoo - my DIL picked me up after she got off work and I was outta there!!! Of course I got a wild and crazy greeting from the Fuzzbuttz when they saw me getting out of the car, and came flying out to greet me. I was getting a daily report on them to ease my mind, and they didn't even go on their usual hunger strike/protest like they usually do when I leave them for more than a day. Sparky did get into his sullen, dejected, I miss my Mommy mode on Thursday tho. :( They haven't let me out of their sight since I got home. It was so great to sleep in my own COMFY bed with the furkids snuggled up with me - one of the finer, yet simpler things in life, for sure! :love:

So I'm on my way back to normal - or as normal as I can muster. :rolleyes: Really no restrictions as to what I can do, other than no lifting anything over 10 lbs, and no driving if I take the Percoset, but I only had to take one of those the whole day yesterday. I'm just moving a little slower and a little bent over, but really feeling good - all considered. So that's the long, boring ordeal. I'm just so glad it's over and done with, and hopefully I won't have anything else go wrong for at least 10 more years. :p - or longer.....:)

Thanks again for all the prayers and well wishes that were sent my way. PT prayers, and the people who send them, are the best. :love::love::love:

Karen
10-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Welcome home, glad everything went relatively well after all. Heal well, and take it easy!

robinh
10-23-2011, 07:59 AM
So glad to hear it went well and that you are home.

Bonny
10-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Glad to hear your surgery went well & you are on the mend. :D Those fur babies make good medicine. ;)

Queen of Poop
10-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Yay, you're home, it all went well and the furkids are helping you heal. All good all around. :love:

phesina
10-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Great news that all went well. Welcome home!

chocolatepuppy
10-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Good to see you back! I'm glad the surgery went ok!:D

Madeline87st
10-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Cute little pets

Grace
10-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Glad to hear all went well :love:

sana
10-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Good to hear everything went well! :)

http://www.commentsguru.com/images/getwell/animated_get_well_soon_graphics.gif

http://freedownloads2k.com/scrapgreetings/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/get-well-soon-graphic-01.gif

lizbud
10-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Welcome back.:) I hope you can now get plenty of rest & heal up
soon. Take it easy & let someone else take care of the heavy lifting, ok?:)

Catty1
10-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Glad all went well - and you are in the expert hands of loving fuzzbutt nurses! Hope you feel back to normal soon!

mrspunkysmom
10-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Glad you are home and feeling better. Love is indeed the best medicine. :love:

Pinot's Mom
10-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Welcome Home (belated, sorry), Ellie! We're all so glad you're home and on the mend. Fuzzbutts, do your stuff!!

:love:Maggie, Coop & Pinot:love:

Scooter's Mom
10-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Welcome home!

redbird
10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
I am glad you're getting back to normal. Altho I haven't been here in a while, your name looks familiar :D

gini
10-23-2011, 12:38 PM
I am so glad that you are home and giving us such positive reports.

Continue to heal and feel much better each day.:love::love:

Daisy and Delilah
10-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Sorry Ellie, I didn't know you were having surgery. I'm glad it's over and you're back home. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Feel better!!! :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-24-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm glad to hear that you're home and doing well.:) I hope that you'll recover quickly. Take care.

RobiLee
10-24-2011, 04:08 AM
Good to hear that you are back home and all went well. Sending you some more positive healing vibes!

Lillycat
10-24-2011, 06:44 AM
......best wishes for a great recovery!

happylabs
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Wonderful news! Going home is always a relief. Glad the fur critters did not suffer tooo much. :D

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!:)

cassiesmom
10-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Welcome Home! I'm glad the fuzzbutt nurses are on duty!

lvpets2002
10-24-2011, 03:10 PM
:) Glad your home & healing well.. Hope for you a speedy recovery..

Freedom
10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
He hee, sleeping in your own COMFY bed -- I take it you couldn't get comfortable at the hospital! Welcome home! Keep on healing and recovering. You have 2 of the best nurses there to help you.

moosmom
10-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Pomtzu,

Glad to hear you're home and healing!!

xoxox
:love:

Donna and fur crew

*LabLoverKEB*
10-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Yay glad to hear all went well and you are home and on your way to a great recovery, Ellie!:love:

pomtzu
10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone.

I'm feeling really good - a lot better than I had expected. I have cabin fever, so I'm going to go out window shopping tomorrow - well - I might pick up a few lightweight items, but nothing over my limit of 10 lbs! :)

And my nurses continue to give me excellent care.......:love::D

Karen
10-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Aren't fur nurses the best? ;) So much better than the ones that wake you in the night to take meds ... as necessary as they may be ...

Glad you are feeling better enough to have cabin fever!

wombat2u2004
10-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Yer back mate !!
I bet the hospital was glad to be rid of ya.....hee hee.

pomtzu
10-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Yer back mate !!
I bet the hospital was glad to be rid of ya.....hee hee.

Yup! And I see you enjoyed getting all of those email responders from me, too! :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
10-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Yup! And I see you enjoyed getting all of those email responders from me, too! :rolleyes:

I love mail. Can you send more ?? :D

MoonandBean
10-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Just seeing this now. Glad you had surgery and are doing great. Bad gallbladder=misery.

mrspunkysmom
10-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm feeling really good - a lot better than I had expected. I have cabin fever, so I'm going to go out window shopping tomorrow - well - I might pick up a few lightweight items, but nothing over my limit of 10 lbs! :)

And my nurses continue to give me excellent care.......:love::D

Glad you are feeling better!

dab_20
10-28-2011, 06:19 PM
So glad everything went smoothly and your on your way to recovery!!

carole
10-29-2011, 03:58 AM
I am so relieved all went well, and you are home again, gosh i can hardly believe it is all over, i am sure you are glad it is to, now just take things slowly,rest up and you will make a speedy recovery, wishing you well and the all the best, take care.:love::love: