PDA

View Full Version : Mystic's roller coaster ride

catnapper
10-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Oh boy, have I had one emotional week.

First things' first: HE'S HOME!!!! The vet sent him home because it was either that, put him to sleep, or let him languish in a cage all by himself all weekend. I take him back Tuesday. There was no way I was going to let him go once I saw him this morning. He looked perfectly miserable, but he looked perkier than he had.

Ok, so here's what happened: He did end up blocking. Not with crystals, but blood clots. They said the blood was clotting in the catheter and urine bag (it has a proper name but my mind isn't working quite right) She said she has never, ever seen blood do that!

His blood and kidney numbers came down, but not as far or fast as she would have liked. She's REALLY not liking how slowly he's recovering. It scares her.

I've been home from work for 10 minutes, and all he's done in that time is drink water (but hubby tells me that he's been home for 6 hours without water) The vet isn't too happy at him drinking like that, because it could be a sign that his kidneys are too far gone. I do have to say that he always drank like that--- nothing for hours, then he'd commandeer the water fountain for a long while. But this is a little more excessive than usual. He also flat-out refuses to eat. I tried to force feed him and he spat it out :(

He's been purring like a mad man, which is not necessarily good because they purr to help deal with pain. but his purrs pick up when he sees me or I touch him.

He's been using the litterbox. He had a little "spill" when he was napping. But the amount of medication this boy is on..... I myself would be having accidents! The vet said to watch his peeing very closely. If he doesn't pee, he's to be put to sleep because he won't recover.

My vet is utterly fabulous! She told me everything calmly, honestly, and without glossing over the seriousness of the situation. She also said there is hope. When Allen was dying I asked him what he wanted. He told me to let him go. I asked Mystic. He said not to give up on him. I'm not. I won't. I just have no idea just how the bill is getting paid..... but they're willing to work with me, and I'm a firm believer that God will provide.

Well, I am going to take my thirsty little patient and cuddle with him. Thank you all for those prayers, and keep them coming. The vet said this weekend will determine it all.

jennielynn1970
10-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Glad to hear the news sounds at least a little bit better!!! I'll be keeping you and Mystic in my thoughts and prayers and hope that he does well this weekend and that he'll pull through totally, and "mystify" everyone at the vet's office!

LOVE and HUGS!!!

Karen
10-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Glad he is home, in any case. Give him a snuggle from me.

sasvermont
10-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Wow, such an event for you and your poor widdle kitty. I hope he improves and beats the odds. If not, I hope you have a good weekend together and savor every moment. I know there is not much else you can do for the poor fella. I hope he is comfortable during his recovery, if it is meant to be.

You will be in my thoughts for sure.

Sas and her campers :love::love::love::love::love:

chocolatepuppy
10-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Prayers that Mystic gets better.

Cataholic
10-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Lots more prayers coming!!!

catnapper
10-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I gave him all his meds for the night, Cuddled with him, and he left me when he had enough. I simply left the light on and left the room. Hopefully he'll eat the food I left out, because the last medicine is mixed with the food he has no interest in eating.

The lack of interest in food is what really bothers me. He is walking around like normal. He looks perkier than this afternoon (sometimes no medicine is better than simply being home) and he seems content to stay in his isolation room.

Mikey and Trixie seem determined to get IN the isolation room. We will let them in for short visits because of how bonded the 3 are. We just have to watch who uses the litterbox and ensure Mystic actually EATS the food in the bowl... Though I know 6 other cats that will take care of that

mrspunkysmom
10-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Hope he improves and continues to feel better. :love:

phesina
10-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Prayers for Mystic and you both. What valiant fighters you are! So glad Mystic is home with you at this time.

God bless you both.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Freedom
10-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Come ON Mystic, the white coats and all these PT'ers are praying for you. Keep on feeling better, kitty!

kaycountrygal
10-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Oh My! I would be a nervous wreck watching and waiting and praying too. I do hope and pray that Mystic will be alright. I suppose it's going to be a loooong weekend. Good Luck to you both!

catnapper
10-22-2011, 08:58 PM
well, I don't know about Mystic not eating.... even Trixie (aka Miss Piggy) refused to eat the food I gave him. Callie took one for the team and ate the food :rolleyes: The vet said they didn't expect him to eat much tonight (I had only put out a tablespoon of wet and about 10 pieces of dry)

Mikey was doing some amazing contortionist moves trying to get into he isolation room. We had let Trixie in earlier and she snuggled against him the entire time. Since he's peeing freely - albeit on blankets and towels - we let him out for a bit. I feel isolation is good, but if they stress over being isolated, freedom is great medicine.

PLEASE keep the PT prayers coming. The vet said he has a 50/50 chance of making it through the weekend. I am cautiously optimistic. He's moving around and seems a lot perkier now that he's allowed in my room. I am thrilled he's drinking, walking around, watching the other cats, etc. I am just so worried about his lack of interest in food. Yes, his food must be pretty icky, but he didn't even show interest in wanting the usual stuff.

Scooter's Mom
10-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Keeping him in my prayers. Sounds like he's a fighter. Also sounds like you have a terrific vet.

Pinot's Mom
10-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Pinot has crossed paws, prayers from us, and {{{hugs}}}:love:

Catty1
10-22-2011, 10:42 PM
More prayers from here...it's a miracle he's home. Now to up the odds way better than 50/50. :)

I hope he will eat soon. As you said, Trixie didn't eat either. Could just be a cat-picky thing.

Good news that he is peeing - even if it ain't in the box!

Get better, Mystic - you are so loved!:love::love::love:

katladyd
10-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Have you tried some tuna? That usually gets them eating. Still praying for Mystic. Get better okay? You're a very special kitty.:love:

orangemm
10-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Come on, Mystic, you can do it!!! Take a bite or two, sweetie.

Lots of prayers and good thoughts going up for Mystic!:love::love::love:

sasvermont
10-23-2011, 07:12 AM
I am almost afraid to ask. I hope you all had a good night last nigh. Let us know. I hope you were able to sleep.

Fingers and paws crossed.

catnapper
10-23-2011, 07:36 AM
We had a great night! He spent the night curled up in my arms like usual. I woke to a fair amount of pee dribble on the sheets (yay! that means his not clotting again!) I'll have to remember to put down towels tonight :)

He wants to be out and watch what is going on. He's alert and interested in what the others are doing; he simply doesn't want to get involved. The first time he runs into the fray is when I know he's back to normal.

He still has zero interest in food. Not even the normal stuff. How do you force feed a cat?

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I know these PT prayers are working their magic. :love: :love: :love:

mrspunkysmom
10-23-2011, 07:58 AM
You might have to get some KMR to see if he will take that.

Glad he's feeling better.

phesina
10-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Mystic, you ROCK! Keep on keeping on!

More prayers for you all.

Catty1
10-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Great news! Praying that he eats a bit today.:love:

If he heals well enough, maybe your vet will try a light appetite stimulant.

sana
10-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Prayers that you get well soon, Mystic. Hugs and kisses for you too, :love::love:

emily_the_spoiled
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I was so worried yesterday when I signed in and didn't see an update about Mystic (I guess I was just a little to earlier). I am very glad that he is at home, you are right, sometimes that is the best medicine.

You can force feed him using food that has been diluted down to a slurry and then use an oral syringe to feed him. (Similar to if you are hand raising kittens)

Some people have used baby food and found that their cats will eat it (unfortunately that trick doesn't work in my household :rolleyes:)

I will be thinking of you and Mystic and hoping he will continue to get better

Freedom
10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow, isn't this encouraging?

What about canned salmon? Yummy taste, good and smelly to activate the saliva glands etc. Just a thought.

I thought of you and Mystic first thing this morning, but being Sunday, other stuff took precedent over the computer. Happy to see the update!

Don't you wish they had kitty diapers? LOL Wonder why he won't use the box!

catmandu
10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
My Vet says the same thing, that Our Ctas are a ot better being at home wherethey fee comfotable and know where they are and have all thier Friends there.
We are praying even hrader for for Mystic that Our All Loving Lord God above will give you more time together.:love::love::love:

kuhio98
10-23-2011, 01:09 PM
We had a great night! He spent the night curled up in my arms like usual. I woke to a fair amount of pee dribble on the sheets (yay! that means his not clotting again!) I'll have to remember to put down towels tonight :)

He wants to be out and watch what is going on. He's alert and interested in what the others are doing; he simply doesn't want to get involved. The first time he runs into the fray is when I know he's back to normal.

He still has zero interest in food. Not even the normal stuff. How do you force feed a cat?

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I know these PT prayers are working their magic. :love: :love: :love:

Yay! :D I hope the good news continues. It sounds like Mystic is a fighter and still wants to be here. That's more than half the battle.

You might take a spoonfull of food and nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds. I've heard that warming the food brings out more aroma. Also, when Halo was near the end, we brought home some Chicken McNuggets. She went nuts over the smell. *Maybe because they were hot?) I took off most of the breading and and she ate a couple.

I'm so pleased that Mystic is still fighting and your vet is still hopefull. :D

jennielynn1970
10-23-2011, 02:45 PM
So good to read the positive reports!!! I'm thrilled he is doing better.

HUGS to you and to Mystic!!:love::love::love:

momcat
10-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Many prayers are being prayed for Mystic and for you too!

catnapper
10-23-2011, 09:28 PM
He's eating!!!! He still refuses the prescription stuff, so I slurry it and stuff the syringe in his mouth despite his obvious annoyance. But when I fed the others, he went to his spot and waited for his food to be dished out - and he's eating it. I'm SO doing a happy dance right now.

I still am worried because his tummy is still painful and he cries if pressure is applied, He's still peeing himself during naps, and he naps 99% of the time. He also started sneezing this morning. Its not a chronic sneeze, just once in a while thing.

But he is grooming himself (the vet tech said that's a good sign today --- tell you how amazing my vet clinic is: the tech came into my work today to ask about him)

He's more active than he has been. He's currently up top of the dresser watching down on everyone in the room.

He begs to be out and about with the others. I will allow him out when we're in the room to watch him like hawks. Then back to isolation when neither of us can babysit him.

Catty1
10-23-2011, 09:32 PM
What a great vet and vet tech!

I hope the cause of his sore tummy can be straightened out.

I truly pray that this is a Miracle for Mystic.:)

mrspunkysmom
10-23-2011, 09:47 PM
ah, fantastic! Prayers for more recovery! :love:

katladyd
10-24-2011, 12:07 AM
This made my day. I've been thinking of and praying for Mystic all day. Keep it up, Sweet Boy!:love:

krazyaboutkatz
10-24-2011, 12:25 AM
This is the first time that I've been able to get online this weekend. I'm so glad to hear the great news.:) I hope that Mystic will continue to improve and beat the odds. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

phesina
10-24-2011, 04:55 AM
Continuing prayers for Mystic. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

emily_the_spoiled
10-24-2011, 07:46 AM
I am so glad that the slurry trick worked for you. Just be careful because after a couple of days you maybe wearing more than he is eating :D :D

We will definitely continue to keep Mystic in our thoughts.

orangemm
10-24-2011, 09:22 AM
I love good news! This is encouraging!!! I'll still be praying for your sweet boy, though.:love::love:

kuhio98
10-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Your vet sounds amazing! Sending you both good thoughts today.

Catty1
10-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Hoping Mystic is still eating and being happy! Prayers for a complete recovery!:):love::love:

cassiesmom
10-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Please keep getting better, Mystic! :love:

catnapper
10-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Mystic continues to improve. He's eating on his own, but still refuses to eat the special food. I left the food out for him last night, and even the 6 other cats left it alone :rolleyes: I almost jumped for joy this morning when hubby told me that Mystic tried to wake him up for food like he usually does (which means, he climbs on hubby's belly and sits like a stone statue and stares at him until hubby gets up :) )

He is sneezing a little more each day. I am sure he's more prone to a cold because of his weakened immune system. He's still peeing himself, but using the box more and more.

I am hopeful, but my mind is terrified of tomorrow's vet visit when she draws blood to see where his numbers are. Its almost as if his progress is too good to be true. Keep those prayers coming :love:

Freedom
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Of course I continue to pray for Mystic and you. Sounds like improvement!

Catty1
10-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Many many prayers for vastly improved, if not perfect, blood levels tomorrow! Give Mystic some kissies for me.:love::love:

phesina
10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Prayers and more prayers and healing energies and warm thoughts and good wishes are coming from us,

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

katladyd
10-24-2011, 04:23 PM
I know it's hard not to worry, but think of all the PT prayers that have been sent for Mystic. Powerful Hands are at work here, at least I think so!:)

kuhio98
10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Saying my PT prayers and lighting candles.

Don't forget my PM. With the time difference, I can call tomorrow a.m.

kaycountrygal
10-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Just read the most recent posts. That is wonderful news that Mystic is eating some. I'll check back tomorrow to see what lab work shows.

krazyaboutkatz
10-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Scooter's Mom
10-25-2011, 07:09 AM
I've been praying and sending positive thoughts too!

Catty1
10-25-2011, 10:20 AM
More prayers for good results today!:love:

catnapper
10-25-2011, 12:06 PM
He's looking better, but just now got out of the litterbox with nothing left behind, then jumped out to lick, lick, lick :( My heart is sinking.

Catty1
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Oh, no....still praying! Mystic you have come so far, sweetheart. :love:

If it's a clot, where are the darn things coming from??? :(

More prayers going out!

catnapper
10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
We are back with a clean bill of health!!!!!

All his numbers are normal normal normal!!!!!

The vet is concerned that he has a very big bladder and isn't peeing, but the fact that he's leaking means he's just holding it in for some reason. So now we have a whole new round of meds to try.

WHEW. My miracle cat. :love: :love: :love:

emily_the_spoiled
10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow, someone was really looking out for him ;)

Congratulations!!!!!!

Catty1
10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
YAAAY!!!!! I just can't imagine all the happy dances you are doing!!! And the vet too!

Bless her for not giving up on her!

sasvermont
10-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Bethanechol is a very effective medication for urinary problems and control. I had a cat that took it and it worked. No more loss of control.

I hope whatever your vet gave you will work.

It sounds as though your kitty will be fine.

Talk about a scare!:love::love::love::love:

phesina
10-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh my gosh, what a relief! Now lots of prayers for success with the new round of meds.

mrspunkysmom
10-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Fantastic! :D Now just to figure out what's blocking him. You have my continued prayers. :love:

katladyd
10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I am crying tears of joy at work! I will now be sending prayers of thanks.

Soapets
10-25-2011, 09:15 PM
WOW! I haven't been on here the past several days so missed all of this til now! I am SO RELIEVED that he is doing so much better today! I will continue to keep Mystic and you and everyone else involved in any way with this situation all in my thoughts and prayers!

Pinot's Mom
10-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Come on Mystic! We're all here with you!!:love:

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm so glad that his results were good.:) Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Cataholic
10-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Kim- are you sure he isn't blocked? No pee, and lick, lick, lick sounds like a blockage to me. :(

catnapper
10-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Kim- are you sure he isn't blocked? No pee, and lick, lick, lick sounds like a blockage to me. :(

Yup, we're sure. The vet said he is pushing so hard to pee that he's pushing his penis out of the protective dome cats have. She has no idea why he's doing it, and it concerns her, but we're watching him. He has 6 different meds to take twice a day. He went from being the easiest cat to medicate to the hardest. Poor little boy.

emily_the_spoiled
10-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey if you were taking that many prescriptions you would be hard to medicate also :D:D:D

I don't know if this will help, but over the weekend I discovered that Petsmart has a new product that seems to be a hit with Miss Bear (who is very very fussy). They have a product line called "Simply Nourish" and there is now a wet food version available. She is 21yo and gets to eat what ever her little heart desires, but most days it doesn't seem to desire much and this seems to do the trick (for now)

katladyd
10-26-2011, 11:53 AM
I tried Simply Nourish wet and dry and all of my cats liked it a lot. Of course, they still like their favorites the best. Usually they want only Wellness and Max Cat wet. They will eat ANY dry, but they only get Wilderness Duck or Solid Gold Indigo Moon. Since my guys have been on these dry foods, Ming has had NO urinary tract problems.:D