PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Fans...

redbird
10-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi everyone, I know I haven't been here in quite a while and I wanted to say hi. Anyway wondering if any of you are baseball fans and are watching the World Series. As you can see my user name is redbird and that comes from my baseball team the St. Louis Cardinals and who are playing in the WS this year.

I've been recording my favorite shows so I don't miss an inning of the games. So who is your favorite baseball team if any. Go Cards...

By the way the manager of the Cards is Tony La Russa a huge animal lover and has his own shelter in CA. Here he is with two of his friends :)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/BASEBALL/larussa_cat_dog.jpg

Karen
10-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Awww! I am a Red Sox fan, born, raised and lifelong ... and was surprised that I was kind of relieved that they didn't make the playoffs this year. But after the September they had, I knew the team just didn't have it together enough ...

Okay - after that picture, I'll root for the Cardinals in this World Series!

phesina
10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Since the Tigers didn't make it either...

GO CARDS!!!!!

I might have been cheering the Cardinals on even if the Tigers had made it, after I found out about Tony La Russa and all he has done for animals!

redbird
10-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Since the Tigers didn't make it either...

GO CARDS!!!!!

I might have been cheering the Cardinals on even if the Tigers had made it, after I found out about Tony La Russa and all he has done for animals!

I was rooting for Detroit also when they were playing Texas. Tony La Russa and Jim Leyland are very close friends.

Taz_Zoee
10-22-2011, 07:30 PM
I have been a volunteer at Tony's shelter for three years now. So I am definitely rooting for the Cardinals. :D

We have several pictures of Tony with animals at the shelter. And I've seen him there a lot over the years as well. He seems to be a very nice guy and his wife and daughters are super sweet too.

Marigold2
10-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes that is why he has always been one of my favorite coaches as well. He and Joe Torre, Yankees fan here. I have adored Tony many years now.

GO ST. LOUIS

Taz_Zoee
10-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Series tied 2-2!!

And I have to ask.....what's with all the beards in the MLB? I'm thinking that all started and got so popular because of Brian Wilson on the Giants...aka "the beard". Do they realize it makes them look so much older than they are?

Cincy'sMom
10-24-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm not a big baseball fan and usually only watcht he World Series. I was hoping for a Tigers/Cards series, since those are the teams my close friends root for. My Best Friend and her husband live in St. Louis and are huge fans, so I am hoping the Cards win it all!

redbird
10-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Series tied 2-2!!

And I have to ask.....what's with all the beards in the MLB? I'm thinking that all started and got so popular because of Brian Wilson on the Giants...aka "the beard". Do they realize it makes them look so much older than they are?

I think they grow the beards for luck and right now the Cards need it :( I've always liked beards so they look ok to me ;)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/BIRTHDAY/HALLOWEEN%20GRAPHICS/008.gif

cassiesmom
10-24-2011, 01:56 PM
GO CARDS!!!!!

I'm a life-long Cubs fan so I cannot root for St. Louis. About Pujols' 3 homers in game 3--what's up with that? Test him for steroids! Go, Rangers!

Note to Theo Epstein... welcome to Chicago! We are really glad you're here and we realllllllly hope you can help our team win the World Series!

redbird
10-24-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm a life-long Cubs fan so I cannot root for St. Louis. About Pujols' 3 homers in game 3--what's up with that? Test him for steroids! Go, Rangers!

Note to Theo Epstein... welcome to Chicago! We are really glad you're here and we realllllllly hope you can help our team win the World Series!

No our Albert is not on any steroids. Cub fans have always found fault with the Cards but that is to be expected, they have been rivals forever. Maybe someday the Cubs will win a championship, they are certainly way overdue.

lvpets2002
10-24-2011, 03:10 PM
:) Texan Here == Go Go Texas Rangers.. You can do it!!

Taz_Zoee
10-24-2011, 03:13 PM

I would think he would be hitting homers a lot more if he were juicing. But don't they really crack down on that now since the previous players and all that scandal?

If the Cardinals were not in the series I would definitely be all for Texas. :)

redbird
10-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I would think he would be hitting homers a lot more if he were juicing. But don't they really crack down on that now since the previous players and all that scandal?

If the Cardinals were not in the series I would definitely be all for Texas. :)

You're absolutely right, Albert was never on steroids, he is just about the best hitter in baseball right now. We could have used a homer from him last night but the pitching was too good for all the players. As far as the rest of the WS, the best team will win in the short 7 game series. Whether it's the Rangers or the Cards who take it all, I've been enjoying watching my team play in the post season. Whoever wins deserve it because it's a long, long season. Go Cards.

cassiesmom
10-24-2011, 10:43 PM
About Pujols' 3 homers in game 3--what's up with that? Test him for steroids!

Redbird and everyone, I think I should apologize for this comment. I heard on the radio that some fans feel Roger Maris still holds the home run record because other players who have broken it may have been steroid users at the time, while Maris was not. After the whole Sammy Sosa story broke around here I think a lot of fans felt let down.

I think baseball coverage in Chicago seems anti-Mets because of the 1969 "Miracle Mets" who beat the Cubs and anti-Cardinals because of the long history of rivalry between the two teams. Kind of like the Bears with Green Bay. I've never been to New York, but my mom was born in St. Louis and lived there with my grandmother till she was 5 or 6. St. Louis is one of my favorite Midwest cities for road trips from Chicago.

lvpets2002
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
:eek: Woo Hoo One More Game To Win.. Go Go Texas Rangers == You Can Do It!! World Series Here We Come!!

redbird
10-25-2011, 11:34 AM
:eek: Woo Hoo One More Game To Win.. Go Go Texas Rangers == You Can Do It!! World Series Here We Come!!

Yep we got beat last night. I know the Rangers have never won a WS and as I said before, may the best team win in this short 7 game series, Go Cards.

Grace
10-27-2011, 11:00 PM
The Cardinals brought out their history tonight - Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Red Schoendienst, Ozzie Smith and
Stan, 'The Man', Musial. It seems to have worked, for the moment. Tied, 7-7, in the 10th.

Lady's Human
10-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Game 7 tonight. This has been a strange but great series.

Taz_Zoee
10-28-2011, 10:11 AM
I only started watching in the 7th and that was one intense game!!! I want the Cards to win. But I will be just as happy if Texas wins. Obviously these are two great teams! :D

kuhio98
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Game 6 was very exciting!
Since Bobcat was born in Texas, we're rooting for them, but we wanted the Cardinals to win last night to force game 7. Somehow, I doubt if game 7 can top game 6 -- but we'll be tuning in to see! :D

redbird
10-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Redbird and everyone, I think I should apologize for this comment. I heard on the radio that some fans feel Roger Maris still holds the home run record because other players who have broken it may have been steroid users at the time, while Maris was not. After the whole Sammy Sosa story broke around here I think a lot of fans felt let down.

I think baseball coverage in Chicago seems anti-Mets because of the 1969 "Miracle Mets" who beat the Cubs and anti-Cardinals because of the long history of rivalry between the two teams. Kind of like the Bears with Green Bay. I've never been to New York, but my mom was born in St. Louis and lived there with my grandmother till she was 5 or 6. St. Louis is one of my favorite Midwest cities for road trips from Chicago.

Thank you.

redbird
10-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Game 6 was very exciting!
Since Bobcat was born in Texas, we're rooting for them, but we wanted the Cardinals to win last night to force game 7. Somehow, I doubt if game 7 can top game 6 -- but we'll be tuning in to see! :D

I don't think there will be another game as exciting as Game 6 for many years. This game will go down in history, it was truly amazing. Hopefully tonight the Cards can take it home with the help of this guy:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/BASEBALL/genthumbashx.jpg

or any other Cardinal.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/BASEBALL/thSTL2.gif

RICHARD
10-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Last night was a 'one night stand' as far as great WS BB games go.

The Bosox run for the title (04) was probably the best playoff/series I ever saw - that was three weeks of fun, nailbiting, dramatic ball.

Last night's game had all the best parts of baseball.

Great plays, errors, runs, extra innings, drama and the absolute best?

A player going from hero to goat.

That is the way baseball should be played. A little bit of everything for the fans and players.

---------------------

I saw a 60 Minutes piece earlier this year on Albert Pujols and he is what baseball needs to get rid of all the BS that the 'steroid era' brought to the game.

I really don't have favorite sports figures anymore, but AP is probably one of the best/nicest guys playing today. I really do admire him for all he has done for the game....

Now, on a crappy note?

Whoever wins the Series is going to have to put out huge bucks for the players because some are going to want to renegotiate contracts/salaries.

That is one of the things that makes winning, a losing proposition for the fans that support the teams.

Plan on seeing some players ask for the moon.:rolleyes::mad::(

redbird
10-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Last night was a 'one night stand' as far as great WS BB games go.

The Bosox run for the title (04) was probably the best playoff/series I ever saw - that was three weeks of fun, nailbiting, dramatic ball.

Last night's game had all the best parts of baseball.

Great plays, errors, runs, extra innings, drama and the absolute best?

A player going from hero to goat.

That is the way baseball should be played. A little bit of everything for the fans and players.

---------------------

I saw a 60 Minutes piece earlier this year on Albert Pujols and he is what baseball needs to get rid of all the BS that the 'steroid era' brought to the game.

I really don't have favorite sports figures anymore, but AP is probably one of the best/nicest guys playing today. I really do admire him for all he has done for the game....

Now, on a crappy note?

Whoever wins the Series is going to have to put out huge bucks for the players because some are going to want to renegotiate contracts/salaries.

That is one of the things that makes winning, a losing proposition for the fans that support the teams.

Plan on seeing some players ask for the moon.:rolleyes::mad::(

I saw that 60 minutes program also, wouldn't miss it. You're right, everyone will be asking for more bucks but that is the name of the game I guess. Go Cards.

Karen
10-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Yesterday afternoon, before the snow started, Paul actually saw a male cardinal feeding in our back yard. Maybe that's a sign? (We've seen sparrows often, blue jays, a nuthatch and a few others, not a cardinal here before ... )

Should be interesting tonight! I do like it when it is NOT a blow-out, but good baseball games between good teams.

RICHARD
10-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Yesterday afternoon, before the snow started, Paul actually saw a male cardinal feeding in our back yard. Maybe that's a sign? (We've seen sparrows often, blue jays, a nuthatch and a few others, not a cardinal here before ... )

Should be interesting tonight! I do like it when it is NOT a blow-out, but good baseball games between good teams.

I saw a Ranger at the park up the street, last week.......

get it?

Park Ranger.........;):rolleyes::eek::o

I don't care who wins....it was a pretty good season with all the surprises and really good games.

I can hardly wait for the usual "plays of the year" programs.

Go Baseball!

cassiesmom
10-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Yesterday's game -- wowzers! Two runs difference - tied - two runs difference - tied again :eek:!

Lady's Human
10-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Congrats to the Cards.

RICHARD
10-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Congrats to the Cards.

I was told that there are no Rangers that patrol the parks here in town.;)

That was fun.

Karen
10-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Congratulations to the Cardinals and all their fans! :)

Taz_Zoee
10-29-2011, 10:48 AM
So excited for the Cardinals! I just wish I was working at ARF today (Tony's shelter).
I would have been just as happy to see Texas win though. They've been there twice and have yet to win a series. So hopefully they can come back next year and take it. Third times a charm, right? :)

Marigold2
10-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh yea Tony does it again. David Freeze is the man.

redbird
10-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Well we won it all and I'm very happy today and talking on my baseball forum to all the Cardinal fans. We are having a ball reliving everything, wow what a ride we had, looking forward to next year. Thanks for all your input :)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/World_Series_Rangers_Cardinals_Baseball_249925_tea m.jpg

phesina
10-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Congratulations, CARDS!!!!! Well done!

redbird
10-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I have been a volunteer at Tony's shelter for three years now. So I am definitely rooting for the Cardinals. :D

We have several pictures of Tony with animals at the shelter. And I've seen him there a lot over the years as well. He seems to be a very nice guy and his wife and daughters are super sweet too.

Unfortunately Tony retired from baseball today and I am heart sick over it. He was a great manager and now I don't know what the future holds for the Cardinals.