PDA

View Full Version : Update: Mystic is dying :(

catnapper
10-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Mystic finished up his 21 days worth of antibiotics on Thursday. I got a pee sample on Friday and it was too old to use by the time the vet opened. They said to try and catch a fresh sample in the morning any day this week. I've been trying to do just that ever since, because the vet and I were afraid to bring him in for a urinalysis since that completely stresses him out.

He's been happy, energetic, and using the box perfectly since. Until tonight. He's very unhappy with a swollen pee-pee. I gave him a pain pill and Pred for inflamation. The vet will be called as soon as they open in the morning.

I know he's not blocked (his bladder is empty -- with 3 crystal prone cats, I learned to feel a full vs. empty bladder) I know he doesn't have crystals because he's on the CD food and the vet hasn't found any crystals on him in months. This is the same infection we've been fighting for a couple months now. The x-ray from 3 weeks ago showed no stones or crystals in his kidneys.

The only thing I know is that his blood panel was not pretty. She said there were so many blood cells that she couldn't even count them. She has no idea what is causing the infection(s).

Any idea what can hit him so hard, so fast? I'm telling you, the pee sample the other day was perfect -- nice color, from a nice stream, no smell, no pink blood tint like he'd been having. I was home the last two days and he was nothing less than happy and healthy.... I know because I obsess over his peeing status. I worked today and he hid under the bed the moment I came home (warning sign #1) I fed the cats and he stayed under the bed (warning sign #2)

Sigh, the Pred and pain meds have kicked in and he's as content as he could possibly be in my chair and soft blankets. I promise, if I thought for half a second he was in danger tonight, he'd be at the emergency vet. I trust my instincts and have experience here.

Soapets
10-19-2011, 10:55 PM
I sure hope that he is OK and that it isn't anything too serious! I don't have any experience with that kind of thing, but will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers! Poor guy!:(

katladyd
10-19-2011, 11:12 PM
I know the drill about checking for a full bladder. If his bladder is empty and he has pain pills and Pred to take, you're good until tomorrow. I hope they find out why he has these recurring infections.:confused:

krazyaboutkatz
10-20-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear that he's still having peeing issues.:( Hopefully the vet can figure out whats causing them. My first thought is it's from stress. I hope he feels better soon.

catnapper
10-20-2011, 09:07 AM
He's not a happy little boy this morning. He doesn't want me to touch him, and forget picking him up :( We have an 11:00 vet appt and then I have to go to work.

ramanth
10-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Good luck at the vet!

catmandu
10-20-2011, 09:22 AM
We are wishing you all the best at the Vets:love::love:
A Pet Talker Awesome Angels Delegation :):) will be with Your Mystic to comfort him:love::love:
We are praying that the White Coats will be able to help:love::love:

Taz_Zoee
10-20-2011, 09:32 AM
What struck me was how he was fine while you were home for two days, then the day you go back to work he has a flare up again. I'm also wondering if it isn't stress related.

Good luck at the vet and I hope they can figure out what is going on with poor Mystic.

emily_the_spoiled
10-20-2011, 10:28 AM
You might want to talk with the vet about having the urine cultured so you know exactly what you are dealing with. He may have developed a resistent strain of bacteria, which would require very different antibiotics to treat. (One of my little girls has that problem with URI's so we just go straight to the Zithromax and skip the Clavamox).

kaycountrygal
10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm sorry your Mystic is having health problems. Not only is it bad for her but stressful for you both. I do hope vet can figure out what is going on and get her better. According to your post, you're at work now. I'll check back later today. 12:53pm

catnapper
10-20-2011, 05:55 PM
What a long, long day. I have been crying for most of it. He had emergency surgery.... still not sure what happened, but the part I understood was that he has a blood clot causing the problem. He was also beats away from heart failure when we got him to the vet at 11:00.

I have no idea how much the surgery cost. Nor do I really care. The vet said I had 3 choices:
euthanize him (NO!)
let him die on his own (NO NO NO NO!)
or surgery

Lets just say I told her to do the surgery. And I cried. A lot.

She had to stabilize him in order to get him strong enough to do the surgery. He was in bad shape. I do not understand how he went from happy, playful boy yesterday morning to dying boy within 24 hours.

Oh, and absolutely, positively ZERO crystals. None. But his urine was pure red. He has a serious infection that caused a blood clot... or maybe the clot caused the infection? I really, honestly, do not understand much of it. Manily because I was too busy crying to listen and comprehend what was being said.

He's having a hard time waking up from the surgery. The vet isn't sure why -- if its the stress of the day...the major pain meds/steroids/antibiotics/anisthesia combos... or that he was just that close to dying.

I am just go glad we got him there in time. Prayers please for my boy. I won;t have him home til Saturday night at the earliest.

Freedom
10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Prayers from RI, hope you have some news from the vet.

Catty1
10-20-2011, 05:57 PM
oh KIM. Major huge prayers going out for you and Mystic. His recovery may be slow, but as long as it is upwards, that is all that matters! :love::love:

Praying that he wakes up and that all is good.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

mrspunkysmom
10-20-2011, 07:24 PM
You have my prayers. :love:

Scooter's Mom
10-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Prayers here, too! Thank goodness you got him to the vet when you did!

phesina
10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Prayers and warm healing energies and love are coming from us. May you be well again, Mystic. You are so much loved.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

Craftlady
10-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Keeping good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

krazyaboutkatz
10-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

catnapper
10-21-2011, 11:19 AM
I just got off the phone with the vet. She is not optimistic. She said he is not responding to treatment and his blood work is coming back worse instead of better. The infection is incredibly rampant - his urine is so bloody that its clotting as soon as it hit the litterbox.

She said she never saw an infection hit a young cat so hard and fast as it has with him. She said he looks to be in heart and kindey failure in addition to the blood clots (yes multiple clots). She also thinks he has a congenital disorder that he was born with and we have been masking it the past few months with food and meds. She said there was no way we could have known. We did so many tests - blood, urine, Xrays, etc. She also stated several times that I did nothing wrong. She said I did more for him than most pet parents.

I still have no idea how much this is going to cost.... oy, we owe sooo many people. Its just money, right? And isn't the rest of the country just as broke as we are? Even if I pay the vet $50 every two weeks for infinity, I'll know I did everything for him.

So, for the moment, she is just giving him fluids and meds. She said if she thought for a moment that he wouldn't make it, she would have recommended he be put down yesterday. She is honestly shocked at how ill he is. She said that he is the first cat in her career who went downhill so fast. She is just as shocked as I am.

I've cried and cried all day. My sweet little blackie. He is only two years old! Two!

Catty1
10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Kim! How horribly horribly sad! You and your vet KNOW you did everything possible! But that makes it no better.

What kind of infection was it that it went so fast?

I hope sweet Mystic is comfortable...he knows he is very loved. If you see him, please give him kissies on his sweet forehead from me.

Hugs, hugs and hugs. Prayers for you through this nightmare.:love::love::love:

Cataholic
10-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Prayers are going up. I am just so sorry.

krazyaboutkatz
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry.:( Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

prechrswife
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm so, so sorry...:(

smokey the elder
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm so sorry about your precious baby.

emily_the_spoiled
10-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I am so sorry to read about Mystic, he is too young for this to be happening.

I used to work in a hospital so I am very familar with the medications needed in humans to prevent blood clots. I don't know what medications the vet is giving Mystic (and she might already be doing this), but there is something that MIGHT help him. It is call "low molecule weight heparin". This is something that will ONLY be available through your local hospital but she can order it and they should be able to provide it.
Here are a couple of references if she needs some supporting documentation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2666318/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1090023311002954

If she would like a copy the articles please let me know and I am happy to email them to her.

kuhio98
10-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Prayers for you both. Sweet Mystic. Praying that he rallys but if it's not to be, :( I hope his passing is peaceful. :love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
10-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh no. :( I am in tears. :( I am so very sorry and I will still keep you and Mystic in my thoughts that he will, by a miracle, bounce back from this. He is much much too young. :(

kitten645
10-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear this. All blackies have a special place in my heart. Cyber hugs to you and Mystic. LES. It's always so hard but you know you've gone above and beyond to take care of your baby boy. :(

phesina
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I am so very sorry to read this. He's still so young.

Prayers for Mystic and you and all who love him so much.

Love to you all.

Karen
10-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh, Kim, you will be in our prayers. IUt is so hard, especially with something we cannot see - that underlying condition she suspects could be something that would have killed him much younger in some other home, but with you and your family, he got more loving in these past two years than many cats get in ten. Don't beat yourself up, you have done everything you can, and he knows you love him.

astrid
10-21-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm so, sorry :(
I just read this thread and I'm so sad. My heart and prayers are with you and little Mystic.

happylabs
10-21-2011, 01:20 PM
So sorry to read this. My heart is breaking for you. Thoughts and prayers for all.

katladyd
10-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear this! Mystic is one of my favorite cats on this site.:( Know that I am praying double time for little Mystic!

momoffuzzyfaces
10-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Lots of prayers and love for you and Mystic. :love::love:

kittycats_delight
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm so sorry Kim. I hope he can be saved & pulls through. He is too young to go. I know all too well the feeling of losing a kitty so young Lilith was only 18 months and she went so fast. We all know the power of PT prayers so maybe Phred will put in a good word and get Mystic on the fast track to coming home & getting well.

All our thoughts are with you & Mystic. Lilith & Vixen will be right beside him and coaxing him to get well for his momma that loves him so much.

kaycountrygal
10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I am so sorry Mystic is not getting better. Sorry for you too because I know you love him so much. Wish I knew what to say to make you feel better. It is a sad time when our beloved pets are sick.

maerlyn
10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh, Kim, there are no words to express my sorrow at reading this; I am so, so sorry for your pain. Tears and prayers coming that the Creator will send an angel to watch over your beloved Mystic and help him to recover.

Years ago, I had a cat who seemed absolutely fine at lunch time and was dying by 8 that night: an infection around her heart. (myocarditis or endocarditis - I've forgotten which). I can understand your bewilderment, for I was bewildered, too. It was caught, and Kalli recovered. I pray the same for Mystic. It's impossibly difficult to have them leave, but even moreso when they're so young.

Prayers on the way for Mystic and for you - that the Creator will bless you with whatever you most need to get through this.

jennielynn1970
10-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Saying prayers for you and for dear, sweet Mystic. I hope the vet can come up with something for the poor boy. He's so young.

HUGS... BIG BIG BIG HUGS to you. :love:

Scooter's Mom
10-21-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't have any words of wisdom to add. All I can do is say that everyone is right and you have given Mystic so much love in his 2 years, so much more than so many kitties experience in their entire lives. He knows how much he is loved. Just know that he knows it, too. ((Hugs)) and prayers for you all.

Vermontcat
10-21-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that your sweet Mystic is so sick.:(
I really hope that he pulls through this, there are a lot of Pet Talk prayers heading his way.:love:

catnapper
10-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. I am all cried out and numb at this point.

The vet said he's not getting any better, and she's not happy with his numbers, but she's not ready to give up on him. She wants to have one more night of meds and treatment and look at him in the morning to make a determination.

The quote she gave me was extremely generous -- so far $750 for everything. She said the tech didn't believe the quote and asked the vet if she would like the numbers recalculated, and the vet told her "no". Tonight will be his last night there for another $150 worth of treatments, and tomorrow will determine whether he comes home to recover or... I would much prefer a homecoming, but I am as ready as I can be for the possibility that he may never come home again.

Freedom
10-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I have been thinking of you and Mystic all day, but couldn't bet on the computer.

I am still praying for Mystic, the vet who is treating him, and you too.

cassiesmom
10-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Prayers for Mystic and meowmie :love:

mrspunkysmom
10-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Prayers headed your way. :love:

Catty1
10-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Bravo to your vet! Did you see the links on the low-molecule-weight heparin?

But I am sure your vet will do everything possible. God bless her and you!:love::love:

catmandu
10-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Your Vet sounds so much like My Vet Dr Marsaes who will adjust the bill for a valued patient ^^.
:love:
We are praying for Your Friend Mystic :love: and there ae many Awesome Angels there now:D keeping Mystic company and making him comfortable:love:
It must be so sad not knowing if you will get that cal from the Vets , and we all are sending payers that Mystic will be well.:love:

maerlyn
10-22-2011, 12:03 PM
It's 1 p.m. here in southeastern Pennsylvania; since you're in my time zone, I'm supposing that whatever the decision is, it's been made. I pray that you've brought Mystic home to your house. If not, please believe and know that he is *still* home - home in your heart, home at the Rainbow Bridge, waiting for you. Your love for him guarantees that he is *always* home, even if he is not in your house. I pray that he is there, in your house, recuperating. I pray that the Creator has and will give you all the faith and strength you need. So many of us are with you; you are not alone.:love: