PDA

View Full Version : Tracking training *2 Clo videos added post 7*

Sowa
10-19-2011, 04:37 PM
*I posted 2 videos of Clover, post 7*

Could anyone help me with some info on training tracking? I'd love to teach Clo, and I even talked to a trainer (only one I could find who does it) but he was very rude and obviously doesn't want my business.

I thought maybe I could teach her myself. I've started with one toy, a cat toy (she really likes it :rolleyes:) I call it "mouse". I tell her to stay and I go hide it somewhere else. Like in her toy box, or under another toy, and say ok, find mouse! She's at the point now where she will search and find this one toy. I don't know enough about it to try and teach another object in case it confuses her, but I've heard use a completely different toy, like a kong. I think it would be fun to teach her to find a person...like if I go hide and my boyfriend says to find me.

Anyone do this training before?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/clover_bed.jpg
One picture too :o

*edit* oh yeah, I only let her play with mouse while she's doing this exercise, it's not a normal toy she gets to have.

sasvermont
10-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I have no experience with tracking. It does sound as though Clover would be a good candidate. If you are really serious about it, as in rescue, I should think the teacher would want to take your dog for training. I could be wrong about that, but I would check into that part of the training in particular.

Clover is such a cutie pie. I love photos of her. Keep 'em coming.

I think the more the dog can learn, the more dedicated they will become. Prue, my dog, is at about a 7 on scale of 10. She is smart, but not nearly as smart as Clover appears to be...... I still love her so. I try to teach her something new each week. She loves her toys and is beginning to know them by name now.....

More photos, please.

Karen
10-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Dogs can learn to identify many different objects, some dogs better than others of course, but I would go ahead and try a different toy - the Kong is a good example. And make it fun, and she'll love it, I am sure!

Sowa
10-19-2011, 08:11 PM
I have no experience with tracking. It does sound as though Clover would be a good candidate. If you are really serious about it, as in rescue, I should think the teacher would want to take your dog for training.

Do you mean they guy I mentioned above? I checked Google and he is the only guy I can find who does it here. I met with the guy, and he was extremely rude to me, promised to e-mail me some info and never did. So that's why I think he doesn't want my business :rolleyes:

That's too bad though, I really wanted to do it. I've found some info about finding toys but I'd have no idea how to teach finding people.

Karen
10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Dogs often will instinctively find people. You can start by having a friend say hello to Clover, let her greet and sniff them, then you go into another room with Clover, wait a minute and say "Go find Susie!" and see if she does it. My mother could tell our Saint Bernard "Go get Karen," and she'd run upstairs to where I was sleeping and shove that cold hockey puck of a nose under my neck - try sleeping through that! She knew each of the family members by name, with no special training.

Sowa
10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks Karen, I'll try that! I tried with just me but it doesn't really work since I have to say "find me!" and she can hear me lol. I used to do that with Josie when she was a pup only I had a bigger place to do it. I;m uploading 2 videos I'll post soon :D

Sowa
10-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Ok, I took a quick video of her finding a toy. I piled a bunch of her other toys to see if she'd still find this one toy "mouse". I hit the stop button too soon but you can still see she got the toy :rolleyes: I'm sorry you have to listen to my terrible voice.
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/?action=view&current=MVI_0981.mp4
(please ignore the empty cans on the floor...:rolleyes: I'm going to go a head and blame my boyfriend for that :p)

Here is another video of a couple of her tricks she's learning. I think her best she knows is "stay". I can tell her to stay, throw her toy, and she'll wait for me to tell her so she can get it. No idea how she learned that haha. She also knows paw but I didn't get that either.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/?action=view&current=MVI_0988.mp4

I love working with her, I'm having a lot of fun trying to show her new things. She seems to like it too :)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/clover/IMG_0973.jpg

Roxyluvsme13
10-19-2011, 09:42 PM
She's so smart! I love seeing new pictures of her. Lily knows my mom and I by name, like if you tell her to go get "mommy" or "Bri-zee" she knows who you're talking about. She seems to be doing really well with training and tracking so far, so I'm sure she'll be able to learn a lot more soon!

ToBeEvergreen
10-19-2011, 09:54 PM
You've got one talented pup there! Very bright and patient. She does seem to love learning! I'm sure she's going to excel in the tracking and other training.

(Love the Halloween collar and bandanna :P)

Sowa
10-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Hehe, thanks :D