PDA

View Full Version : Jack the cat awareness day

maerlyn
10-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Friends of Jack (FoJ) are staging an awareness day for poor Jack, who's been lost at JFK airport since August - nearly two full months now. Volunteers are needed to look for Jack - a gorgeous cream longhaired cat. Full info can be found on Jack's FB page: "Jack the Cat is Lost in AA Baggage at JFK." His human is, at this point, considering legal action; that, however, will certainly not get Jack returned to her. Anyone living in the area, if you can help, I'm sure Karen, Jack's human, would appreciate it.

momcat
10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
My co-worker who is involved with a rescue in North New Jersey has shared Jack's story with other rescues they have contact with. I'll forward this to Danni, it's imperative that this story gets out to as many rescues, shelters, and animal lovers as possible.

There was a story in the New York Daily News over the weekend about a kitty that was missing for a year. A woman looking at Facebook saw his picture and recognized him as being with a group of strays that she was feeding. This kind woman contacted the owner. It was a wonderful reunion.
There's still hope for Jack and I'm still praying for him!

maerlyn
10-17-2011, 08:52 PM
I read that story online - and it renewed my personal hope for Jack, which, I confess, has been fading. Miracles do happen - in God's own good time. I'm also praying for a cat lost near the nursing home when my dad lives; I was away at my cabin for almost 3 weeks and was hoping that "Piper" had been found while I was gone; unfortunately, the signs are still up - in fact, they replaced the old ones with new ones. While I was at my cabin, there was a sign up at a popular local restaurant about "Sam," a Siamese who was lost. I pray each night for all the lost but especially for these three.

God bless your friend at the rescue - and you, for passing the info on. I'm in southern PA, so I can't go, but they're trying to get as many volunteers as possible to meet at 4 p.m., figuring Jack would be more active at dusk. I will cry with relief when I read that he's been found!

aTailOf2Kitties
10-18-2011, 04:46 AM
I worked at a vet clinic years ago and we had a cat escape. We looked for months, and assumed it had somehow gotten outside and got away. Then one day someone made one last trip to the groomer's room after the lights had been shut off for a few hours and swore she saw a black cat dart under the bathtub. I can't remember if we lured him out with some food or set a live trap, but we ended up catching him and returning him to his owner after fattening him back up.

So, there is still hope for Jack yet...

maerlyn
10-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks for another inspirational story. :) I once "lost" a cat for a month at my vacation house; of course, she was just refusing to take the trip home. When I returned a month later, there she was! But that's not like being lost in a huge, scary place like JFK. . . . Still, it does give one hope.

catmandu
10-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Sadly some of these baggage handlers are creeps, and I have seen where they have dropped animals long distances to see what happens!!!
We are sending Our Awesome Angels Search and Rescue Squad to see if they can find Poor Jack.:love:

maerlyn
10-20-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm thinking that there's not a lot of education required to be a baggage handler, and there's probably a high turnover rate. But some of them must be compassionate; they can't all be uncaring, surely.

The link for Jack Awareness Day: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=176547675762402

If anyone's in NY, perhaps you can go to JFK for just a little while; if you have friends/family in the area, please let them know about Jack even if they can't attend.

Karen
10-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Jack is found! And will be on his way home soon.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/jack-the-cat-found-at-jfk-airport/

momcat
10-26-2011, 11:22 AM
This is WONDERFUL news!!! I'm glad the airport crew took Jack to a vet and he's in great shape. What a reunion that's going to be!:love:!

Maerlyn, thank you and thank you again for bringing Jack's story to us so we could spread the word! I'm sure he has some purrs, headbumpies, and kitty kisses for you. I have to let Danni know :D :love: :)

phesina
10-26-2011, 02:48 PM
I caught the end of that on TV earlier today. So wonderful to see such GOOD news about a cat seemingly lost and gone forever.

Welcome HOME, Jack!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

katladyd
10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I AM SO HAPPY JACK WAS FOUND!!! If I had been Jack's owner, I'd be in an institution by now, or in jail:eek: I hope all goes well with the reunion.

Catty1
10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
What an amazing story! There was a cat lost at Winnipeg airport years ago and I don't think he ever was found.

There'll be a happy reunion for sure!:)

maerlyn
10-26-2011, 06:10 PM
The first thing I've been doing each morning is checking Jack's page; when I read this morning that he'd been found, I confess - I cried tears of relief. From what I read, he'll have to be in the hospital for a few days, as he developed fatty liver disease from lack of food. He's being treated for that and is expected to recover. One article says that Karen and Jack will be flying to CA together - in the cabin. AA really ought to pick up the vet bills *and* fly them home, no charge, First Class! They probably won't do either of those things, but as long as Jack is reunited with Karen and his friend Barry (and another cat whom Karen adopted to keep Barry company), that's the most important thing.

Thanks to all who prayed for his safe return; a few more prayers for his recovery would not go amiss at this point. I'm so anxious to see photos of Jack in Karen's arms!

cattoy
10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
they had better let Jack fly in the cabin this time!

mrspunkysmom
10-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Awesome. Prayers for Jack's recovery and speedy and safe return. :love:

Karen
10-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Please see this thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2387653#post2387653) for kitties who are now in jeopardy because of the search for Jack.

maerlyn
10-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Karen, thanks for posting this! The latest I've seen on FB is that all the kitties have strong potential adopters.:) There most likely will be transport help needed, so anyone who might be able to help transport can check out Jack's page and offer their services. This will take a while to coordinate, I guess, but it's helpful if the organizers know who's willing to do what and where. Ten precious souls saved because of good people's concern for Jack! God does indeed work in mysterious ways.:love:

Grace
11-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Jack the Cat is still in the hospital in NY. He's been a very sick kitty. BTW, American Airlines is picking up all his Vet bills.

http://www.lifewithcats.tv/2011/10/30/3-jack-the-cat-karen-pascoe-share-secret-visit/

Jack's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jack-The-Cat-is-Lost-in-AA-Baggage-at-JFK/143108332445793?sk=wall)

Karen
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Jack has passed away, sadly, from injuries during his time missing, exacerbated by malnutrition during that time.

Catty1
11-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh NO!!! How horrible!:(

phesina
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to learn this, especially after all he had been through. Poor baby, you are being warmly welcomed at the Rainbow Bridge now, and you will have many, many friends to welcome home there, One Fine Day..

momcat
11-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Major LES for poor Jack. Since he was found I've been hearing different stories about his medical condition.

[[[[[HUGS]]]]] to Karen, his owner on this very sad loss.

RIP sweet Jack. Your story has touched many hearts. Play hard at the Bridge sweetheart :love: :love: :love: