PDA

View Full Version : Deer season - aarrgghhhhh

pomtzu
10-16-2011, 06:37 AM
My DIL got a 5 point buck.
Last night.
With her SUV!!!
Just a couple of miles from here.

Thankfully, she was not hurt and her vehicle sustained relatively minor damage, considering what it could have been. The grill is busted up and one headlight is destroyed, and some scratches on the hood from the buck's antlers, but that's about it. It's completely drivable. If it had been my little car, it would have been totaled! :eek: She ran off into the ditch as it happened, but was able to get out without a tow. Not 5 vehicles went by after it happened when one stopped and asked if they could have the deer, so I guess that's better than leaving it to rot along side the road. The state police came out to the house and took a report since she will need that for insurance purposes.

She was pretty shook up and upset that she killed the poor deer, and of course my son didn't help when he was joking with her and told her that she killed Bambi, even tho he was trying to get her to lighten up. MEN!!! :rolleyes: Hey - he hit a cow once, but that's another story. :p

Country living is great, but this is just one not so great thing we have to be careful of - especially this time of year. I avoid driving before dawn and after dusk if at all possible, tho the deer are even around in the daylight anymore. :(

RIP Big Buck...........

Karen
10-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Thank goodness she's okay. Tell her it is not her fault, as we know there are deer overpopulations in some areas. At least the animal likely did not suffer, and will be put to good use by the folks who took it. I hope the insurance covers the needed repairs, but again, am glad she is okay.

I've moved this to the Dog House, just as it was upsetting to your DIL and could be to others.

happylabs
10-16-2011, 07:10 AM
That is unfortunate. I can relate to that whole scenario. I live in a rural area too. I have seen a lot of deer in the last couple weeks.

Glad your DIL is okay and not much damage to the vehicle.

caseysmom
10-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I live in the suburbs, definetely not the country and we have deer, turkeys, raccoons, coyotes all over.

Hubby hit a dear once, the deer ran off but the car had lots of damage.

Someone gave me the idea of driving with once finger ready on the horn, not sure if that would help or not...

chocolatepuppy
10-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Someone gave me the idea of driving with once finger ready on the horn, not sure if that would help or not...

Caseysmom, I was told never to beep at a deer, it might panic and charge right at you! Not sure how true, but was told that.;)
I also hate driving certain places this time of year, always afraid one will run out in front of me!

sasvermont
10-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I hate driving at night this time of year. The deer are all over the place where I live. It is not uncommon to find a herd in my back yard. Prue, the dog is terrified of them and will run in the opposite direction if she sees them. So much for the dog protection I thought I signed up for when I got Prue!

I have never hit a deer, but know lots of folks who have. I drive SO slowly, at night, expecting a deer to run into the road! I try to NOT be out at night or early morning. Of course, sometimes I have to drive, but make sure to keep my eyes looking at the side of the roads!

Glad to hear your relative is unharmed. She will relax about it eventually, I am sure. She did nothing wrong. Things like this happen all the time. I am glad someone was able to use the deer for it's meat. Many just stay there in the road or side of the road, and spoil.

We all need to use this as a lesson and take care when driving at night.

Thanks for sharing the story. It will keep me a little more alert.

P. S. One night I was walking Prue and we headed for the back of the property. I had a flash light and shined it to the very back, near the woods. There was a herd of deer and their eyes glowed in the flash light. Prue was horrified. She barked and ran in the opposite direction, away from the deer, pulling me along with her. It took her days to get over it when I walked her outside. I think she thought they were aliens that had landed. Their beady eyes were dotted all along the wood's edge....two here, two there. It was funny - well sorta. She nearly pulled my arm out of the socket!

Randi
10-16-2011, 12:56 PM
It's awful for both the deer and the driver. I hope people will drive slowly and be alert on roads with forests around.

It happens here, too. :(

Fences along the roads, at least in some places, might be a good idea.

Grace
10-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Been there; done that. I'm glad she's okay and the car is usable.

What's worse, I'm told, are the moose in Maine. About a month ago, a police officer in Maine was critically injured after a collision with a moose. And that was in the daylight hours.

Karen
10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Wherever moose are, in northern New England, they are a big problem, especially give their size and build. Their eyes are above the level the headlights may strike, and their darker color makes them even harder discern at dawn and dusk, when they are most active. They are tall enough that cars generally hit just their legs, and their massive bodies then strike the car, and people are often killed.

One thing to remember is "always watch for the second deer" - often if you see one bounding across the road, another will be right behind it.

pomtzu
10-16-2011, 04:32 PM
If this thread makes even just one person more vigilant and aware of the unseen dangers out there - especially at night and in areas where potentially dangerous encounters with wildlife can occur - then it has served it's purpose. Be careful out there, everyone. :)

kitten645
10-16-2011, 10:44 PM
"If this thread makes even just one person more vigilant and aware of the unseen dangers out there - especially at night and in areas where potentially dangerous encounters with wildlife can occur - then it has served it's purpose. Be careful out there, everyone."

Absolutely agree. I've never hit anything thank goodness. I'd be traumatized I'm sure. I've swerved to avoid a squirrel on occasion. My ex husband hit a deer and the car was totaled. Scary stuff. I'm thankful your family didn't suffer anything worse.

wombat2u2004
10-17-2011, 03:31 AM
She's a very lucky girl.
I hit a cow once....killed the cow, killed the car, and almost killed me.

Bonny
10-17-2011, 07:15 AM
She's a very lucky girl.
I hit a cow once....killed the cow, killed the car, and almost killed me.

I hope you were wearing your seat belt MR.

wombat2u2004
10-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I hope you were wearing your seat belt MR.

Nope. I don't think the car had seat belts.
Wearing seat belts became law here in 1974.
It was my first car, happened in 1967 or thereabouts.

cassiesmom
10-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I also hate driving certain places this time of year, always afraid one will run out in front of me!

Me too! The deer blend in well with the trees along the road. I try to avoid certain stretches of road where it's not too well lit. I've swerved to avoid squirrels, too.

IRescue452
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm glad she's ok. Been there done that. I work 2nd shift so I'm driving through rural areas at night every night. Some roads I have to go like 15mph on because of the deer.

dab_20
10-19-2011, 03:33 PM
That is always a scary thing, especially if your an animal lover and you kill the deer.

I lived in Minnesota when I was younger, and there were TONS of deer at all times of the year. One winter night my mom was driving, I was in the back seat. I was around 8 years old. A deer came out of no where and it was icy and we hit the deer and went into the snow filled ditch and hit a tree. We couldn't get out of the car because the snow was so high. This is very dangerous in MN considering how cold it gets there. Luckily we were equipped with blankets and hats and gloves, and it took about an hour before someone drove by and called the police. I remember bawling my eyes out because the deer was dieing and kept kicking my door. I felt SOO bad for it.

sparks19
10-19-2011, 04:11 PM
It's awful for both the deer and the driver. I hope people will drive slowly and be alert on roads with forests around.

It happens here, too. :(

Fences along the roads, at least in some places, might be a good idea.

fences don't really work... deer can easily jump them. there is a 6-7 foot fence lining this one cornfield here and they jump over it as if it isn't even there lol

I've luckily never hit one but I've seen many that have been hit... one was right down the road from our house. not even any forest there. and this was in the middle of the day. During this time of year they can be really unpredictable... especially when they ladies are in the mood lol.

I avoid driving at night as much as possible. My night vision stinks and I know I just wouldn't see one until it was too late.

sasvermont
10-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I saw a truck with a buck in the back, just today. I am not a hunter but do believe herds need to be controlled by thinning them each year. I could never do the deed. I hope everyone uses the meat for food and takes care to kill them quickly and not just wound them.

Pennsylvania really does have a deer problem, as do many states. Whenever I drive to PA, I try to avoid the back roads because the deer are grazing in the middle of roads etc. etc. There are deer everywhere. And of course, more and more houses are being built in areas that deer had as their habitat.

I live in a rural area, with lots of places for deer to hide and live. They do wander into my yard and field quite often. I love seeing them in the field. Many of the fields are "posted" so no one shots them in my part of town. I still worry when I am walking my dog. I usually wear a bright colored coat and stick to the edge of the woods.

dab_20
10-19-2011, 08:39 PM
I saw on TV once that a town was using fake wolves to keep the deer off the road. They had glowing eyes and the deer actually stayed away! I don't know why more places don't do that.

Bonny
10-20-2011, 08:04 AM
There are deer whistles you can have put on your vehicle but I don't know how well they work?

smokey the elder
10-20-2011, 09:15 AM
They don't, really; and they fall off pretty easily.

I used to work with a friend who asked me to let him know if I ever killed a deer with my vehicle. The only time I ever hit one, I wounded it and it probably died someplace, poor thing. It smashed my passenger side in front of the front wheel and did a job on the frame.

Hitting a deer is bad enough; imagine hitting an elk, or worse, a moose!!

Bonny
10-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Around here they have special grills made to protect their pick ups from deer collisions. Our state is 2nd in deer accidents.

I had a doe run off an embankment along side of my car. When she came off the embankment she took out my side mirror, dented the drivers door, & pulled off a bunch of trim. Her & I were looking at each other as she ran alongside the car. She had big brown doe eyes. I slowed way down & she then got across the road.

IRescue452
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Lol, have to add this just for kicks. I stopped for a shrew the other day. Seriously tiny creature. I thought it was a leaf blowing across the road until I got close enough to see that it had feet and was making purposeful movement. I hope it made it across the 3 other lanes.

Karen
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Oh, goodness, shrew are usually stealthier than that! Thanks for stopping for it!

wombat2u2004
10-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Both of our vehicles are fitted with bull bars here. Kangaroos get clobbered all of the time, and they do some damage.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/25/360363512676fbe76ae8fd569145dabe.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/880610)

blue
10-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Ive hit and killed a moose with my jeep, scary ch!t is putting it mildly.

They need to get rid of the Deer Crossing signs so that the deer will know it isnt safe and cross the road elsewhere.

wombat2u2004
10-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Driver 0
Buck 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M

Puckstop31
10-21-2011, 10:47 AM
I saw a truck with a buck in the back, just today. I am not a hunter but do believe herds need to be controlled by thinning them each year. I could never do the deed. I hope everyone uses the meat for food and takes care to kill them quickly and not just wound them.

Absolutley. I use every single bit of the deer I kill. Also, I hunt for many reasons but NEVER just to put antlers on the wall. I take the concept of the ethical kill to the extreme. If I am not 99% (you can never be 100% sure) sure of a clean, ethical shot I simply will not take it, period. I respect the wild and the hunters role in it.

Pennsylvania really does have a deer problem, as do many states. Whenever I drive to PA, I try to avoid the back roads because the deer are grazing in the middle of roads etc. etc. There are deer everywhere. And of course, more and more houses are being built in areas that deer had as their habitat.

From what I see, the largest issue in PA is access to the deer, especially near Philly and Pittsburgh. The PA Game Commission issues a HUGE number of antlerless tags for those areas, but a large majority of them do not get filled. Well meaning but misinformed people own a lot of the land they live on near the cities. They feed them and do not let people hunt them on their land. One way or the other, the population has to be controlled. Hunting is the best and least expensive say to do that. If they dont get hunted, they overpopulate and then Cronic Wasting Disease takes over. Or they just starve to death in winter. OR they end up as road kills.

Another issue is the hunting seasons. Archery season needs to be longer. PA cuts it off right at the high part of the rut. Rut is when you get the most daytime movement and its when they are easier to hunt. Hopefully the commission does something about it, or its only going to get worse.

I still worry when I am walking my dog. I usually wear a bright colored coat and stick to the edge of the woods.

I recommend that you and your dogs wear blaze orange when walking trails during the firearms hunting seasons. Other colors are less recognizable. All gun hunters know what blaze orange is.

cassiesmom
10-21-2011, 07:36 PM
I was coming home from church choir last night and saw a doe on the side of the road. I learned from this thread to pay attention, because where there is one deer, there might be more. I was able to slow down (I wasn't going the speed limit anyway because the road was wet from rain) and don't you know, behind the first one there was another. So I slowed down even more and they turned and went back the way they came. I was afraid they were going to walk out onto the pavement. It seems like drivers around here don't pay attention to the deer crossing signs. Aargh, I don't like deer season.

pomtzu
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
My DIL took her SUV for the estimate yesterday, and that minimal :rolleyes: damage will be over $3000 to repair. YIKES! Thank goodness for good insurance. I don't know how some people drive without any or adequate coverage. :eek:

I'm going to convince my grandson to go into auto body repair after school. There's never a lack of business or a good paycheck there. :p:D

wombat2u2004
10-26-2011, 10:45 PM
There's never a lack of business or a good paycheck there. :p:D

Because it's mostly insurance money.
I did heaps of insurance work for people as a builder....my bills to them were double, sometimes triple the cost of what I would charge for non insurance work.

pomtzu
10-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Because it's mostly insurance money.
I did heaps of insurance work for people as a builder....my bills to them were double, sometimes triple the cost of what I would charge for non insurance work.

Hmmmmm------are you telling us you were a crook and took advantage of a bad situation???:rolleyes:

Shame on you, Womballina! :eek::p:D

wombat2u2004
10-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Hmmmmm------are you telling us you were a crook and took advantage of a bad situation???:rolleyes:

Shame on you, Womballina! :eek::p:D

Hee hee. Well you know, Insurance companies have been ripping us all off for years and years.....so simply put....when it's their time to be ripped off, then we simply just go for it.
I don't know what it's like in the USA, but here, all builders do it, and car repair companies do it to.....it's the done thing.

pomtzu
10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Don't get me going on insurance companies, Wom. I could write a book of a rant. They pretty much have you over a barrel. With them, it's take it, or leave it. I just left one, tho I'm sure losing one little sucker isn't going to amount to a hill of beans with them.

lizbud
10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Hee hee. Well you know, Insurance companies have been ripping us all off for years and years.....so simply put....when it's their time to be ripped off, then we simply just go for it.
I don't know what it's like in the USA, but here, all builders do it, and car repair companies do it to.....it's the done thing.

You aren't ripping off the insurance co. They don't suffer a loss, they
just up the rates for all it's other customers. So the average good guy
is the one who actually pays.Thanks a lot.

Puckstop31
10-27-2011, 10:28 AM
You aren't ripping off the insurance co. They don't suffer a loss, they
just up the rates for all it's other customers. So the average good guy
is the one who actually pays.Thanks a lot.

I....agree.....with......Lizbud?

WORM HOLE!

Anyway, Wom... She is right. Its practices like what you (and others I reckon) do that get the government invovled in 'regulating' the insurance industry. We all know how THAT ends up. Yeah, the insurance companies might still jack up their rates, but insurance fraud like you admitted to gives them a valid excuse for doing so.

Personally, I shopped around for my insurance needs. I found a great company that does it right and I am very satisfied with my premiums. My home, auto and life insurances are via this company.

----

Does this thread win an award for most off topic, back on topic, then back off topic? :)

pomtzu
10-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Personally, I shopped around for my insurance needs. I found a great company that does it right and I am very satisfied with my premiums. My home, auto and life insurances are via this company.

----

Does this thread win an award for most off topic, back on topic, then back off topic? :)

Yeah - I shopped around too a number of years ago, and thought I had found a company that was fair. Wrong again. I just dropped them (car is all I have) a couple of weeks ago and went with another top known company with much better rates for the same coverage, and has been around for eons. Time will tell if it continues to be fair and just. :p

Edwina's Secretary
10-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Wow...bragging about insurance fraud. Criminal activity. But then "everybody does it..." wow...or "hee hee"...

I, like most people, have had my share of issues with insurance companies...but to steal from them... is just something that never occurred to me. It's just not the done thing.

blue
10-27-2011, 10:48 PM
is just something that never occurred to me. It's just not the done thing.

Arent you in CA and from IL? It should be no surprise that it is SOP for liberals and unions to bilk the insurance companies. Again its one of the reasons I am anti union.

Lady's Human
10-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Damn, and now us Union thugs be bilkin the insurance co's?

Damn, just how many pies are my fingers in? :eek:

Wait, hold it, we run a health ins. plan for members............if we are, in effect, the insurance co in some cases, does that mean we're blikin ourselves n one big daisy chain? Glory be!

Karen
10-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Hey, back to the original point of the thread - remember everyone, drive safely, it is the season, and with the rain and snow some of us have been having, trying to stop suddenly can be more difficult.

I am glad, cassiesmom, that this thread helped keep you a bit safer!

wombat2u2004
10-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Hahahaaaa....you lot amuse me sometimes.
I have been accused of fraud ???? Really now ???
Well that coming from the two forum know it alls, Puck and ES, I'll ignore the idiocy and the lack of substance in those comments.
FRAUD is a criminal offence.
BUSINESS is NOT a criminal offence.
If I choose to charge Joe $2 for a nail, and then choose to charge Fred $200 for a nail, then that is entirely MY business. If Fred is stupid enough top pay $200 for his nail, then it's his bad luck.
It's business, plain and simple. The insurance company is under no obligation to accept my quotation for works to be done, but because they did, they were bound contractually to honour their part of the agreement, which of course is to pay ME.

And Lizbud......if my business dealings ever result in you paying higher premiums to your insurance company, I'll eat my hat. :D:D

wombat2u2004
10-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Wow...bragging about insurance fraud. Criminal activity. But then "everybody does it..." wow...or "hee hee"...

I, like most people, have had my share of issues with insurance companies...but to steal from them... is just something that never occurred to me. It's just not the done thing.

Really ??? You've had dealings with insurance companies ??
How worldly. Tell us more. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bonny
10-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Hey, back to the original point of the thread - remember everyone, drive safely, it is the season, and with the rain and snow some of us have been having, trying to stop suddenly can be more difficult.

I am glad, cassiesmom, that this thread helped keep you a bit safer!

Safety comes first for sure but a deer running in front of you out of a brushy ditch can cause your insurance premiums to go up up up. It is the ineptocracy of our day & age that causes all these inconsistencies in our daily lives.

wombat2u2004
10-28-2011, 08:44 AM
it is the ineptocracy of our day & age that causes all these inconsistencies in our daily lives.

bingo !!!!! :d

Edwina's Secretary
10-28-2011, 02:57 PM
It is the ineptocracy of our day & age that causes all these inconsistencies in our daily lives.

That and fraud.

pomtzu
10-29-2011, 05:21 AM
There is a big difference between fraud and free enterprise.

Puckstop31
10-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Well you know, Insurance companies have been ripping us all off for years and years.....so simply put....when it's their time to be ripped off, then we simply just go for it.

Wom, if you don't see the problem with this statement.... There is not much else to discuss.

Its this kind of behavior that makes the insurance companies charge what they do. You run a business I guess... Do you just eat extra costs your vendors pass on to you? Of course you don't.

So you go 'screw' the big bad insurance companies. Its the insurance consumer who gets screwed in the end.

Freedom one hand and your love of big government 'safety net' on the other. You are a weird fish dude. LOL But we knew that already.

wombat2u2004
10-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Wom, if you don't see the problem with this statement.... There is not much else to discuss.

Its this kind of behavior that makes the insurance companies charge what they do. You run a business I guess... Do you just eat extra costs your vendors pass on to you? Of course you don't.

So you go 'screw' the big bad insurance companies. Its the insurance consumer who gets screwed in the end.

Freedom one hand and your love of big government 'safety net' on the other. You are a weird fish dude. LOL But we knew that already.

There is no problem. I've done nothing illegal, so how can you assume that I have commited fraud ?? Fraud is an illegal act...it's a crime....period.
I have done nothing more than anyone else in business, and that is to maximise my profits.
If you need clarification of that, then I suggest you consult a lawyer. I'm sure he or she will convince you that no crime has been commited. And while you are at it, check out the profit margin of insurance companies, the exorbitant wages and perks given to senior management, the company vehicles, the holiday packages, the big fat superannuation funds, the free health plans, I could go on and on....couldn't I ???
No Pucky....yer climbing up the wrong tree with this one. There is no way that insurance corporations would ever drop their premiums if everyone was honest, they just go for the buck like the rest of us.
You are in business....you should know that.
How long have you been in business for ????
I have been in business for 35 years old mate.....I bet I could enlighten you a little about what goes on in the world.
But I must admit that I do respect your opinions, you seem to me to be a reasonably intelligent fellow, not at all like the bimbo who only posts occasionally and contradicts herself every second or third post.

"Freedom one hand and your love of big government 'safety net' on the other."
Allow me to put you at ease with this statement....k ???
Plain and simple....we've earned our freedom, the hard way. We look out for the little man, and make sure he doesn't fall too far.
That is the way us Australians do things. We have no love of big corporations, or unions, or anyone else who tries to run our lives. We simply look out for each other.

Pinot's Mom
10-29-2011, 09:53 AM
...and the original point of this thread was....

Oh, I remember...DEER!

:rolleyes: