PDA

View Full Version : You are loved ~ Send refrigerator magnet

kuhio98
10-13-2011, 11:46 AM
I told you about my friend fighting leukemia here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=170014

We are starting a refrigerator magnet campaign to show her how much she is loved. We are mailing refrigerator magnets that represent our state and/or country to her with a note that says "You are loved".

If you're interested, please PM me and I'll get you the address information. We're sending them anonymously so that she doesn't use her remaining strength to send Thank You notes. But, if you want to sign them, that's up to you.

Karen
10-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Cool, I have a bunch of magnets from local pet-related businesses I picked up at the New England Pet Expo ...

kuhio98
10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Cool, I have a bunch of magnets from local pet-related businesses I picked up at the New England Pet Expo ...

Perfect! She will love them. She's been volunteering at her shelter for many, many years. Anything pet related (especially cats) will cheer her up.

The magnet I sent her was in the shape of a totem pole. :D

happylabs
10-13-2011, 01:42 PM
That is such a neat idea! I will send you an email and I will find a special magnet from Pennsylvania to send her. What a nice idea.

phesina
10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
What a wonderful idea! What a thoughtful, kind, caring friend you are.

I will be happy to send her a magnet. Maybe more than one? I will PM you.

All the best to you and her both,
Pat (and cats)

phesina
10-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I found a good Michigan magnet that shows both Midland and Ann Arbor. And I have a graphic one that says Ann Arbor at the bottom and has a cute picture of a dog (or a lamb?) on it.

kuhio98
10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I found a good Michigan magnet that shows both Midland and Ann Arbor. And I have a graphic one that says Ann Arbor at the bottom and has a cute picture of a dog (or a lamb?) on it.

She'll love it! Thanks so much. She's doing okay. Holding her own. Fighting with everything she has to get into remission.

Karen
11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I got a lovely Thank you note from her, so I know she got mine! Lisa, you can tell her I am a friend of yours - she asked if I was a friend of "Lisa or Sandy!" And her note had a bunny on the front! ;)

kuhio98
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
I got a lovely Thank you note from her, so I know she got mine! Lisa, you can tell her I am a friend of yours - she asked if I was a friend of "Lisa or Sandy!" And her note had a bunny on the front! ;)

Karen ~ She's getting quite a few (see below). She's added them to her "Encouragement Board". I just wish the prognosis was better.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/rmmp/encouragementmagnetboard.jpg

AdoreMyDogs
11-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Karen ~ She's getting quite a few (see below). She's added them to her "Encouragement Board". I just wish the prognosis was better.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/rmmp/encouragementmagnetboard.jpg

How lovely :) I see the ones I got her! I, too, got a thank-you card from her that actually was so beautiful it made me cry. What a lovely woman she is. I'm hoping for a miracle! :love:

cassiesmom
11-10-2011, 10:00 PM
I'll stop at the tollway oasis shop on my way home from work, because they usually have a good stock of Illinois gifts.

kuhio98
12-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Rhoda has continued to receive encouragement magnets. Some of them from the wonderful angels her at Pet Talk. Thane you all so much.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/rmmp/encouragementmagnetboard2.jpg

(I went ahead and mentioned her name, since she's written it on the board.)

carole
12-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Lisa i posted her two magnets today, so hope they arrive safely.

kuhio98
12-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Thank you Carole. She's going to be thrilled to receive them from so far away.

Rhoda received good news yesterday. She is on a new medicine (Neulasta) and it seems to be working. From Rhoda (FYI - she's been craving fresh fruit/citrus but wasn't allowed on her old medicine.):

My white blood cell count has gone up to 6.1 For the first time since diagnosis it is within normal range. Last week, as you recall, my wbc's were only 800.

My hemoglobin is 9.6, the same as last week.

My red blood cells stayed the same at 3.1.

My ANC number which tells how neutropenic I am is the highest ever at 4.1. I am in the normal range. The first thing I did was to go out and purchase one apple and one orange. I'm going to eat both of them tonight.

dukedogsmom
12-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I love her board. I hope God decides to let her stay a lot longer than the doctors predicted.

carole
12-17-2011, 07:33 PM
what wonderful news Lisa, i pray and hope with all my being, she will get through this ,thanks for letting us know.:):)

kuhio98
01-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I love her board. I hope God decides to let her stay a lot longer than the doctors predicted.

Rhoda is loving proving the doctor's wrong. She's still fighting and her goal is to live until the results are announced in March for the new Shelter Challenge http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=170014

Here's an update I received a yesterday.

Chemotherapy has been stopped permanently. It was taking my white blood cells to the danger level. I will be kept alive now with periodic blood transfusions. Platelets are a risk according to the oncologist. And eventually blood transfusions will affect my liver and spleen. I was only supposed to live for three to four months and it has now been over four months. I am truly blessed and the power of prayer is evident each day of my life.

Currently, I don't feel as though I'm dying. My bones hurt a lot and the muscles in my arms and shoulders seem to be affected by something but the doctor doesn't know what, and I am quite tired. Other than that, I feel pretty darned upbeat and I'm going to stay this way as long as I'm conscious to the best of my ability.

I feel that I am receiving so many blessings here on earth these past few months that when I do die there won't be anything left for me in Heaven. I cannot explain it - why I feel this way - but I'm blessed beyond words. I don't know what to say anymore. Thank you's aren't enough. I am unable to express my heart. And you have been such a big part of this. Your picture is still on my dining room wall, along with Susan Boyle's and everyone who comes into my home wants to know who you are, because on the printout of your picture I have written "Lisa - A Very Special Lady".

Karen
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Tell her we are all pulling for her, some of us like proving doctors wrong! Why, my very existence - and Lady's Human's too - was once thought impossible, according to mother's docs, and here we are!

carole
01-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I felt a big lump in my throat and tears welling up in my eyes just reading that, she is right LISA you are one very special lady for sure, i hope with all my heart Rhoda can stay on earth for a lot longer and beat her illness, she also sounds a wonderful person,do you know if she got the fridge magnets ?hoping so.

Bless her and all her loved ones,hoping with all my heart she is doing better and can recover from this.:love::love:

dukedogsmom
01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Such good news! That last paragraph made me tear up, as well. I'm so glad that she's feeling such blessings and peace with her illness. I don't know if I'd be able to do that. I hope she can keep proving the doctors wrong.

Killearn Kitties
01-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm still thinking of Rhoda, and hoping that she still fighting!

slick
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry but I didn't pay attention to this earlier. Can I still send some?

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm sorry but I didn't pay attention to this earlier. Can I still send some?

That's what I'd love to know too!! I bet she would love a Belgian magnet:)
If yes, please send me her address :)

kuhio98
03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Your prayer and magnets are working! Rhoda went to see her Oncologist yesterday.....

He said I don't have to see him for another three months. I said, "you think I'll still be here." He said, "you are strong woman. I do think you will be based on what has transpired so far."

In addition, the shelter where she volunteers has arranged for the author of Homer's Odyssey http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?165435-Homer-s-Odyssey and her husband to attend their annual Ties and Tails fundraiser in October.

If I missed anyone wanting to send her a fridge magnet, please let me know.

carole
03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
that is fantastic news, i am so happy to read this, my thoughts and prayers are with you Rhonda,all the best for a speedy recovery...:love::love:

phesina
03-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I sent Rhoda a Valentine's card last month and then a St. Patrick's Day card this month. Last week she sent me back a lovely Winnie the Pooh Thank-You card with the most beautiful messages, both printed on the card and the one she'd written inside.

God bless her! And thank you, Lisa, for the updates.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

kuhio98
07-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Rhoda was given 6 weeks when she was diagnosed. She has fought for 10 months.

She is surrounded by her loving family and the doctor gives her a day or 2 at the most. She is on morphine and having trouble breathing.

Thank you to all who sent her magnets and encouragement.

I'm attaching a silly photo of Rhoda. She went out and bought this hat when she lost her hair from chemo. :D54310

phesina
07-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Love and God's peace and blessings to Rhoda,

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
She will be in our prayers. And tell her I love her hat!

Cataholic
07-26-2012, 05:19 PM
(((((hugs))))

Catty1
07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
She fought so hard and well - and this is so sad.

I hope her spirits have been good. She left a legacy of hope and help for animals that is priceless.

Peace to Rhoda and her family.:love:

kuhio98
07-31-2012, 11:29 PM
Our dear, sweet, precious Rhoda Palmateer passed away at 9:30 EST tonight.

Please keep her family in your thoughts and prayers.

carole
08-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Oh Lisa how heartbreaking for all who knew and loved her, so sad, a very brave person who fought a hard battle, may she rest in peace, my heartfelt sympathy to her family and friends at this very sad time.

Karen
08-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Rest in peace, dear lady!

kuhio98
01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Monica (one of Rhoda's daughters) and I have stayed in touch. She's still reeling from the loss of her mother and reports that, so far, it doesn't seem to get easier but harder every day. But, there are bright spots every now and then.

Somewhere in this thread, I may have mentioned that Gwen Cooper http://www.gwencooper.com/ author of Homer's Odyssey, met with Rhoda before she passed away. Gwen was to be a guest speaker at the shelter's annual Ties and Tails event in October. When it became obvious that Rhoda would not be with us in October, Gwen flew to Michigan to meet Rhoda.

Gwen has a new book out. The title is "Love Saves the Day". I haven't ordered it yet, but Gwen has stayed in touch with Rhoda's friends and family and let us know that she included Rhoda in her acknowledgements: "Rhoda Palmateer, in loving memory. Rhoda's love saved the day for many hundreds of cats and kittens who otherwise would have languished on the streets or died in shelters. Your extraordinary heart will always be missed."

Precious Rhoda, I miss you so much. I know you're taking care of kitties on the other side, but I'm selfish and want you here. Keeping your family and my thoughts and prayers.