PDA

View Full Version : Christmas for Less

sparks19
10-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey I thought this might be a nice thread to have with Christmas coming up :) I figured we could post good deals that we have come across that helped us save money on Christmas shopping

DVD | Blu ray DVDs | CDs | Books | Free Shipping on Orders Over $15 at DeepDiscount.com (http://www.deepdiscount.com) has many of their childrens DVD's on for Buy one get one free. click on the sale info on the page and it will take you to a list of the dvd's included in the sale. Just enter KIDSBOGO during check out

AND then you can also use code HAPPY5 to get an additional $5 off :) Make sure you do the $5 AFTER getting your BOGO discount or you won't save as much.

I just got Hannah two barney DVD's (shes into that now lol) for $7.78 including shipping :)

Alysser
10-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't know how many people on PT have a student e-mail as in an address ending in .edu. If you do you can sign up for Amazon Prime for a free year trail. With it you can get discounts and FREE two-day shipping with any item available on prime. Most items you'd buy as gifts Ipods, phones, etc. are prime items.

kittycats_delight
10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Don't forget this site (http://www.silverjewelryclub.com/) guys. I even use it from Italy now and it will send to you wherever you are or direct to the address of your choice.

Karen
10-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Don't forget homemade goodies - jellies, jams - much of the bountiful fall produce can be canned and preserved and makes very welcome gifts. And if you just keep an eye out when you are at any discount places, you con often pick up glass jars for cheap - they might not be standard shapes, but any glass jar with a lid can be sterilized and used!

And often homemade goodies are treasured more than store-bought stuff, anyway!

A simple gift, speaking of those glass jars - is herbed vinegars or oils. Growing up, I'd pick some of our purple basil, and put it in a jar with white vinegar to steep, and not only was it pretty, it was scrumptious on tomatoes or salads!

sparks19
10-13-2011, 08:31 AM
here is a link for a nice hand/body scrub you can give as gifts if one is so inclined to :) I might make a couple of these for host gifts :)

http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/10/do-it-yourself-homemade-pumpkin-spice-sugar-scrub.html

dab_20
10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
What I'm doing for Christmas is making blankets. We use flannel material, two layers. One solid color and one printed. Then you cut about 1 inch thick strips about 3-4 inches up in the material all the way around the blanket. You cut a .5 inch slit in the middle of each cut and fold each little strip into the slit. Makes for a cute, warm blanket!! And very cheap :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4854333_tied-felt-blankets.html

sparks19
10-13-2011, 08:42 PM
This is a great find.

A 6 ft HDMI cable on amazon (regular $39.99) for $1.75 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R78/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=couptodisn&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0002L5R78

Karen
10-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Sparks, you can actually get them just as cheap - and in your choice of colors! See http://www.monoprice.com/ for a direct source (not Amazon.com) for all cables - you can get them in orange or pink or whatever!

sparks19
10-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Uh ok? well either way good for people to know

kittycats_delight
10-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I love using this site (https://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/site.do?siteId=310) as well. The prices are reasonable and some of the things are super cute and the biggest bonus...it goes toward helping animals.

This is one of my favorite items on here. I have asked my mom to get me 2 for Christmas. 1 for me and 1 for my hubby.
It's the against animal cruelty ribbon pin https://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/product/image/32713.gif

sparks19
10-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Here is a great deal on some photo christmas cards. you can get 20 4x8 cards for $1.49 shipped using coupon code 25cards. Just go to "create photo card" and pick your pattern in 4x8 and during check out use that code and it should total $1.49

https://www.seehere.com/user/login.jsp?cm_mmc=CJ-_-1611027-_-2983622-_-Register+for+SeeHere.com

happylabs
10-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I love using this site (https://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/site.do?siteId=310) as well. The prices are reasonable and some of the things are super cute and the biggest bonus...it goes toward helping animals.

This is one of my favorite items on here. I have asked my mom to get me 2 for Christmas. 1 for me and 1 for my hubby.
It's the against animal cruelty ribbon pin https://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/product/image/32713.gif

Oh I love that pin!!! :love::)

Randi
10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Oh I love that pin!!! :love::)
So do I - what a great idea! :)

happylabs
10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
So do I - what a great idea! :)

I just realized it is the Animal Rescue site. I have bought a lot of items from there.

sparks19
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
8x10 canvas portraits for $14.95 shipped :) these would be great gifts for parents, grandparents etc

http://canvaspeople.com/canvas-discount?utm_source=HO_CP&utm_medium=Affil&utm_term=143&utm_content=93&utm_campaign=0714

sparks19
10-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Walgreens.com is offering a FREE 8×10 collage print when you enter the code CLG8X10 at checkout thru October 22nd. You can also get an 11×14 Poster for just $1.99 with code PSTR4LESS. Just choose in store pick up to avoid shipping costs. You can create yours today, but you can pick it up at any time.

My idea is to do the collage for the gradnparents. get a couple of affordable frames and sand the finish off of them (unless I can find raw wood frames) and then Have Hannah paint and decorate the frames, put the collage inside and gift them for Christmas :)

sparks19
10-20-2011, 09:00 AM
$15 for $50 worth of custom photobooks, cards etc from Mixbook on groupon

http://www.groupon.com/deals/mixbook-1-syracuse-1?utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=5246082&utm_source=rvs

sparks19
10-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Today on www.eversave.com they are offering two personalized Disney cars or princess books for $21 (50% off). so you can get two books with your kids names in the story.

PLUS if you are new to eversave you will get an automatic $3 credit

AND....

if you use the code SPOOKY at checkout you get an additional $5 off

So that means you can get two peronsalized disney books for $13 :)

Karen
10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
My idea is to do the collage for the gradnparents. get a couple of affordable frames and sand the finish off of them (unless I can find raw wood frames) and then Have Hannah paint and decorate the frames, put the collage inside and gift them for Christmas :)

If you have a Christmas Tree Shop near you, they usually have a good assortment of frames in affordable prices.

cassiesmom
10-25-2011, 06:53 PM
My family has done a "pick one" gift for the past 2 Christmases. Not sure yet if we are doing it again this year. There are 12 and we each pick one name. Then you shop for only that one, plus whoever else you would like to give a gift individually. I give to my mom and dad. In 2010 I had already made a shopping list when the idea was suggested. I don't especially like it because I feel funny not giving a gift to everybody, but it is much easier on everyone's budgets. I am not sure yet if we are doing it again this year.

Sparks19, my sister-in-law has family pictures in two frames that her best friend made for her when the two families went on vacation together. Now their kids are either married, engaged or off to college but it is still fun to look at those framed photos from when the kids were younger :) I love the idea of having your daughter decorate the frames! I wonder if a craft store would have unfinished wood frames? Or maybe Ikea?

sparks19
11-02-2011, 08:48 AM
here is another great deal. At www.babiesrus.com you can get a free plush Disney nursery blanket with the purchase of eligible items. Follow this link for details on ordering

http://savingdollarsandsense.com/2011/11/02/free-disney-plush-blanket.html

I basically bought exactly what this write up details. Those little baggies are SO handy even if you don't have little kids lol and even handier if you do have little kids running around. So I got those baggies and a tinkerbell plush blanket for $2 shipped :)

sparks19
11-02-2011, 08:51 AM
My family has done a "pick one" gift for the past 2 Christmases. Not sure yet if we are doing it again this year. There are 12 and we each pick one name. Then you shop for only that one, plus whoever else you would like to give a gift individually. I give to my mom and dad. In 2010 I had already made a shopping list when the idea was suggested. I don't especially like it because I feel funny not giving a gift to everybody, but it is much easier on everyone's budgets. I am not sure yet if we are doing it again this year.

Sparks19, my sister-in-law has family pictures in two frames that her best friend made for her when the two families went on vacation together. Now their kids are either married, engaged or off to college but it is still fun to look at those framed photos from when the kids were younger :) I love the idea of having your daughter decorate the frames! I wonder if a craft store would have unfinished wood frames? Or maybe Ikea?

Yeah in my family we pretty much just buy for our parents and all the kids. the siblings don't buy for each other anymore. now we just buy for each others children but... there are a lot of children LOL.

I did a quick search online and found some unfinished wood frames but I'll check out michaels too since I have a 40% off coupon :) We also have a neat little store called "Lancaster Creative Reuse" and it's basically a drop off for all your left over craft items that you aren't going to use and then they sell them for pennies and they often have picture frames so I may be able to score one there for less than $1 lol I'll have to do some checking around. I can't believe I'm almost done christmas shopping lol

happylabs
11-02-2011, 10:15 AM

I have 4 brothers and sisters, their significant others, their children and now some grandchildren of my sisters. Years ago we went to the just buying the parents a gift routine. It worked for me. Then my second-to-oldest sister started buying us all gifts again. I love that she has that Christmas spirit but I just cannot afford to give to all 4 of my siblings. I asked her to not buy me a gift as I cannot reciprocate but she continues and now my other sister started buying gifts for all of us. I guess they are better off financially than I am. :confused:

pomtzu
11-02-2011, 10:30 AM

I have this pin - love it! The Animal Rescue site has an awesome amount of very reasonably priced gifts, and every purchase goes to helping our friends in need that can't help themselves. I've purchased quite a few items there, both for myself and for gifts, and they are always well received by the recipient. :)

Freedom
11-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Received this email earlier today, and thought it fit in nicely with this thread 0 it has lots of ideas, for folks who have it all, folks who NEED it all, and folks you don't want to spend a fortune on:

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high
gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. This year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. Yes
there is!

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper? Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking down the Benjamin’s on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town
Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.
THIS is the new American Christmas tradition.

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations, and TV news departments. This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

catnapper
11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I am getting a lot of magazine subscriptions thanks to Mycokerewards.com. I get magazines for everyone I know, and they have no idea I got them for free. :) My coworkers and mom save the caps for me.

caseysmom
11-03-2011, 04:54 PM
here is another great deal. At www.babiesrus.com you can get a free plush Disney nursery blanket with the purchase of eligible items. Follow this link for details on ordering

http://savingdollarsandsense.com/2011/11/02/free-disney-plush-blanket.html

I basically bought exactly what this write up details. Those little baggies are SO handy even if you don't have little kids lol and even handier if you do have little kids running around. So I got those baggies and a tinkerbell plush blanket for $2 shipped :)

Did you sign up for the freeshoprunner? I am afraid to do that...

sparks19
11-03-2011, 04:58 PM

I did. I figured I'd give the free trial a go and see what I think of it :) so far so good but I'll probably cancel at the end of the month

caseysmom
11-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Okay thanks, I was afraid i would forget to cancel but others say they even remind you.

sparks19
11-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Okay thanks, I was afraid i would forget to cancel but others say they even remind you.

yeah they send you an email to remind you and I also set a reminder in my phone lol so it will alert me

Pembroke_Corgi
11-03-2011, 06:32 PM

I signed up for a free trial over the summer and canceled before the month was out, and wasn't charged. A few months later, I got an email offering a whole year free! So I signed up for that, though I wish they had more stores available. I just hope I remember to cancel next year!

sparks19
11-04-2011, 08:35 AM
You can get $13 off any order from www.inkgarden.com right now and just pay shipping. I made my mom a mousepad with some of her favorite photos of Hannah and all I paid was $3.99 for shipping :)

http://www.inkgarden.com/Content.aspx?Page=Landing+Page+-+Media+Whiz&PK=b53baa0c-0d18-475c-badd-01a19bc5eaeb

sparks19
11-06-2011, 09:25 AM
At Toys R Us you can get A Buzz Lightyear Operation game for $1.00 :) you can get it in store or online... online you would have to pay shipping unless you have a shoprunner trial or membership

cassiesmom
11-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I was at FedEx Office (used to be Kinko's) and they have 30% off of photo cards and calendars, last day is 11/26.

sparks19
12-02-2011, 08:01 AM
WHAT A DEAL!

A working childrens camcorder. regular $79.99 on JCpenney.com but today it's only $14.99

I just got one for Hannah and with coupon code BUY4KIDS you get an extra 20% off... and you can have it shipped to a store for pick up for free. so I paid $13 with tax. hannah is ALWAYS using my cameras and my phone camera lol so this is awesome for her.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/x6.aspx?CatNum=fc655-0112&JSEnabled=false&hdnOnGo=true&cmResetCat=true&CmCatId=searchresults&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults

if that link doesn't work just go to www.jcpenney.com and search item number FC655-0112

caseysmom
12-02-2011, 02:37 PM
WHAT A DEAL!

A working childrens camcorder. regular $79.99 on JCpenney.com but today it's only $14.99

I just got one for Hannah and with coupon code BUY4KIDS you get an extra 20% off... and you can have it shipped to a store for pick up for free. so I paid $13 with tax. hannah is ALWAYS using my cameras and my phone camera lol so this is awesome for her.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/x6.aspx?CatNum=fc655-0112&JSEnabled=false&hdnOnGo=true&cmResetCat=true&CmCatId=searchresults&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults

if that link doesn't work just go to www.jcpenney.com and search item number FC655-0112

I just ordered it for my nephew who is almost 3, it was 12 something...so excited! Thanks!

sparks19
12-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I just ordered it for my nephew who is almost 3, it was 12 something...so excited! Thanks!

YW :) At that price I couldn't pass that up lol.

caseysmom
12-02-2011, 03:33 PM
YW :) At that price I couldn't pass that up lol.

He's all boy I don't know if he will treat it nicely or even be able to focus on filming but for that price I'm not stressing:D

pomtzu
12-03-2011, 01:05 PM
My Christmas shopping is DONE - yippee !!! - and to think a month ago I didn't even know what I was getting anyone!
I made my last trip out to the mall this morning and cleaned up at Penney's. I spent $71.15, and with sale prices and then an extra 20% discount - I saved a total of $115.85!!! Not too shabby at all. But Penney's is my favorite store anyway and I always save a bunch there, and never pay full price for anything. I always wait for sales and extra discounts, and it really pays off. :D

Randi
12-03-2011, 01:33 PM
For the first time ever, my family and I have agreed on getting one thing each for about $20 and then have a raffle. The previous years, it took all evening to unwrap presents and there wasn't much time to sit around and just chat. After dinner, we're dancing around the Christmas tree, which also takes time. So I'm quite happy with this arrangement. :)

Now, I just have to get something that anyone would like. We're all past fifty. Any ideas?

pomtzu
12-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Well if it's all family, maybe a favorite family photo in a nice frame? Or maybe a pic of a favorite vacation spot, framed?? That's a tough one....

sparks19
12-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah I'm done too. I've been "done" for a while now lol but I keep seeing great deals for things that would make a great gift lol. My siblings and I don't buy for each other and we don't buy for aunts and uncles and everyone like that but we do buy for all the kids so I have about 10 kids to shop for lol. but a lot of the gifts I got for B1G1 free and some were completely paid for by coupons so they were essentially free lol.

Hannah is going to have to train for the marathon that will be Christmas morning with all the stuff I scored LOL and I hardly paid anything for all of it.