PDA

View Full Version : ROCHESTER NY: Please help Stop Million-dollar Sculpture by DOG MURDERER "artist"

phesina
10-12-2011, 05:52 AM
This comes from an e-mail list I am on called vetpet.com:

---------->
Dear Friends

In 1977, artist Tom Otterness "adopted " a stray dog from an animal shelter. He took the dog home, chained it to a fence, shot it, and then filmed its agonizing death, all for the sake of art. This heinous act of animal cruelty went unnoticed until 2007. Journalist Gary Indiana uncovered Otterness past prior to a Wichita commission. The film was entitled Shot Dog FIlm and was presented as a loop video for public viewing.

Mr. Otterness issued his public apology in 2008 which consisted of this minimalist statement. "Thirty years ago when I was 25 years old, I made a film in which I shot a dog. It was an indefensible act that I am deeply sorry for. Many of us have experienced profound emotional turmoil and despair. Few have made the mistake I made. I hope people can find it in their hearts to forgive me."

That's all he said after he brutally murdered an innocent living creature.
All is apparently forgiven. Or is it?

Apparently not for San Francisco. In September 2011 Otterness was awarded a $750,000 contract for art in the new Central Subway project in San Francisco. The San Francisco Arts Commission was unaware of "Shot Dog Film" when they awarded the contract. The mayor of San Francisco has called for the contract to be rescinded, calling "Shot Dog Film" "deeply disturbing". Work has stopped since the San Francisco public voiced their outrage. "A $700,000 project for the San Francisco General Hospital also was canceled. And earlier this year, a $750,000 commission for bronze lions at the New York Public Library's Battery Park Branch was canceled after protests by PETA and other animal rights groups" reported Democrat and Chronicle writer Stuart Low.

Now we have our own Memorial Art Gallery in Rochester NY, fully aware of Mr. Otterness' past and so willing to commission a sculpture to the tune of 1 million dollars. One has to ask, are there no other artists who could equally fulfill the need for a new sculpture? Or, do we just need Tom Otterness and his controversy to bring MAG a financial boost?

We are appealing to you to help us stop this. Our petition,Bring Animal urderer To Justice https://www.change.org/petitions/bring-animal-murderer-to-justice was launched Oct 2, 2011 has already gathered over 1500 names locally, regionally, nationally and globally. Our impact is recognized and people are voicing their opposition to stop this man who to date has made no financial restitution to any animal welfare organization.

We need your help now. You can do the following

*Sign our petition https://www.change.org/petitions/bring-animal-murderer-to-justice
*Join our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rochesterians-Against-Tom-Otterness/172876442795619
*Voice your outrage on the Memorial Art Gallery Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/MAGRochester
*Contact MAG officials. A list of names and email addresses is included with
this letter.

But please, act now before this project goes any further.

Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Please view the current list of signatures.

Thank you for your time and support.

Sincerely,

Michelle T. Brownstein DVM
www.henriettahosp.com
585-334-3800

MAG Board of Managers:

Andrew Gallina: [email protected]
Rochester City Council Representative and MAG board member, Elaine Spaull: [email protected]
Theresa Mazzullo: [email protected]
Mary Koegel: [email protected]
Ronald Paprocki: [email protected]
Mary Crowe: [email protected]
Stephen M. Kelley, esq., Sciarrino Law offices, 106 Main St., Perry, NY, 14427
Victoria Cherry
Samuel Hubbard
Ted Boucher, Caldwell Manufacturing
Fabricio Morales, FM Office Express
Adam Goldfeder: [email protected]
Mary Sue Jack

MAG staff:

*Grant Holcomb, Director: [email protected], direct office line: 585-276-8902
*Patty Giordano, PR/Media/Marketing Director: [email protected], direct office line: 585-276-8932
*Marjorie Searl, Head Curator and member of the actual selection committee for this project: [email protected], direct line: 276-8978
Lourdes Douglas, Membership Manager: [email protected], direct line:276-8937

Local landscape architect directing the project: Mark Bayer, 19 North Main St, Honeoye Falls, NY 14472: [email protected]

pomtzu
10-12-2011, 06:29 AM
What a sick SOB! :mad: I certainly hope that film isn't available on line, but I won't be looking for it. I hope the petition gets MILLIONS of signatures, and that his contract will be recalled.

lvpets2002
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM
:mad: OMG how so sick & horrible can one be.. I say lets do that same thing to this SOB..

What a sick SOB! :mad: I certainly hope that film isn't available on line, but I won't be looking for it. I hope the petition gets MILLIONS of signatures, and that his contract will be recalled.

Karen
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
That incident was many years ago, and the artist has since apologized for it, also years ago.

From Wikipedia:

Otterness issued an apology which was reported in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle in April 2008, "Thirty years ago when I was 25 years old, I made a film in which I shot a dog. It was an indefensible act that I am deeply sorry for. Many of us have experienced profound emotional turmoil and despair. Few have made the mistake I made. I hope people can find it in their hearts to forgive me -- Tom Otterness." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle article stated: "While it remains to be seen if this will mollify Otterness’ critics, it does appear to be the apology many are asking for." [22]
In September 2011 Otterness was awarded a $750,000 contract for art in the new Central Subway project in San Francisco. The San Francisco Arts Commission claimed to be unaware of "Shot Dog Film" when they awarded the contract.[23] The mayor of San Francisco has called for the contract to be rescinded, calling "Shot Dog Film" "deeply disturbing".

I do believe people can learn from their mistakes, and can change. Just sayin' ...

momcat
10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Pat, I signed and included a strongly worded note explaining why. I'm not into art myself but I'm sure there are talented individuals infinitely more deserving than this creepazoid. He apologized, so what! That poor dog still suffered and is still dead. May the dog be playing hard at the Rainbow Bridge :love: :love:

Marigold2
10-12-2011, 10:08 PM
If he is willing to put his money were his mouth is and donate 1/2 of his earnings to a animal charity then we are on to something good.
Perhaps the option should be presented to him.