PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Challenge - Humane Society of Midland County

kuhio98
10-10-2011, 01:58 PM
UPDATE: NEW CHALLENGE BEGAN JAN. 9, 2012. VOTE (ONCE A DAY -- FROM EVERY BROWSER ON YOUR COMPUTER) UNTIL MARCH 12th.

Vote once a day until December 18th, 2011

A dear friend of mine -- and a long-time volunteer at the Humane Society of Midland County (Michigan) has recently been diagnosed with acute myologeneous leukemia (AML). She was given approximately 6 weeks to live.

She's fighting with all she has and is starting her second round of chemo next week.

Her doctor told her to get rid of her cats. She refused saying that they were responsible for her health and happiness. But, the was forced to give up her volunteer duties at the shelter.

It's too late for us to go to medical school and discover the cure for cancer. But, we can help one of her dreams come true.

The Animal Rescue Site is holding a Shelter Challenge: http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/shelterchallenge.faces?siteId=3

They will give a $5000 grant to the shelter who gets the most overall votes.
They will give a $1000 grant to the top shelter of each State.

Please take the time to vote each day for Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, MI (screen shot below).

Please cross-post as you feel appropriate. My dear friend is determined to continue her fight to be with us when the results are announced in December.

Thank you!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Rhodasshelter.jpg

momcat
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I went to vote for Midland but the page won't come up. Tried a few times. I'll definitely try again

phesina
10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Eileen, fill in the name in the Shelter Name space and select MI in the State pull-down. It should come up then. It did for me.

kuhio98
10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Eileen, fill in the name in the Shelter Name space and select MI in the State pull-down. It should come up then. It did for me.

Yes, the first time, you have to search/find the shelter.
After the first time, it will fill in for you on subsequent days.

Thank you for voting. I'll keep you posted on the rankings from time-to-time.

beeniesmom
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Thank you!

You voted for:
Humane Society of Midland County
Midland, MI 48641

DONE!

Grace
10-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Too bad we can only vote once/day. I've been voting for our local Humane society, maybe I'll alternate with the one in Midland.

kuhio98
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Too bad we can only vote once/day. I've been voting for our local Humane society, maybe I'll alternate with the one in Midland.

Aww, thanks. I meant to put in the original post that I know many people will understandably be voting for their own shelters. No worries.

p.s. I love your signatuare. Molly Ivins was one of my favorites. :D

kuhio98
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks to your help, they are now in 5th place!
Please continue to cross-post where you feel appropriate.

I can't thank you enough.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/101111.jpg

beeniesmom
10-11-2011, 09:41 AM
voted again, if someone reminds me, i will do it everyday.
C'mon PTers, let's make a difference!

wombat2u2004
10-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Awww that was easy :D
I'll keep it up every day.

kuhio98
10-11-2011, 12:42 PM
voted again, if someone reminds me, i will do it everyday.
C'mon PTers, let's make a difference!

I think you can sign up with the animalrescuesite.com to send you a daily reminder e-mail.

kuhio98
10-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Awww that was easy :D
I'll keep it up every day.

Thank you!

momcat
10-11-2011, 06:45 PM
No thanks is necessary.....it's for the animals :love:

kuhio98
10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone. They are holding at 5th for the State of Michigan. Please continue to get the word out.

My friend started her second round of chemo yesterday. I'm thinking this is a good sign because (though I don't know much about these things) but I would think that if your prognosis was for approximately 6 more weeks, they might tell you that chemo wasn't an option. Right?

So, I'm hoping that since the doctor prescribed chemo, there is a better chance. Fingers, paws and whiskers crossed.

kuhio98
10-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Still holding at #5 for the State of Michigan this morning.
But, I did notice that the shelter moved up nation-wide from 131 to 111 over night. Jumped 20 spots!

Still cross-posting trying to get them to #4 (and eventually #1).

MoonandBean
10-13-2011, 09:54 AM
You voted for:
Midland, MI 48641
More Info

Done. Will do every day too. Thanks :)

AdoreMyDogs
10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Done. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Your friend is in my thoughts, what a scary thing to go through. I hope her dreams come true!

beeniesmom
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Done! Thanks for the reminder. :)

kuhio98
10-14-2011, 10:19 AM
They are still holding at #5 for Michigan. But, they've moved up from 150+ in the United States to 106 this morning. So, they are still getting votes.

Thank you for getting the word out! She has developed a very itchy rash from the chemo. Today she gets a blood transfusion.

Keep those prayers (and votes) coming!

MoonandBean
10-14-2011, 01:43 PM
voted again.

kuhio98
10-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have both Explorer and Firefox on my computer. I discovered that I can vote once in each browser without any problems. :D

Grace
10-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have both Explorer and Firefox on my computer. I discovered that I can vote once in each browser without any problems. :D

Thanks for the tip. I've got Firefox and Safari, so I'm also able to vote twice :)

kuhio98
10-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your votes. They are still holding at #5. I'm forwarding the link to everyone I know to see if we can nudge them up a few places.

wombat2u2004
10-16-2011, 09:11 PM
**bump**

kuhio98
10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for bumping it up.

They are still in 5th place. Hard to compete with large Michigan cities like Detroit. But, let's keep trying. Please help me get the word out.

My friend is going in for another blood transfusion. Her brother undergoes prostate cancer surgery today. Sigh..... They have a lot to handle right now. Please keep them in your prayers. :love:

kuhio98
10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Still holding at #5. Please cross-post and remember to vote every day! Thanks!

kuhio98
10-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Here's a link to a writeup on my friend before she got sick and had to stop volunteering at her shelter.

http://www.hsomc.org/volunteer-spotlight/volunteer-spotlight-rhoda-palmateer/?utm_source=Members&utm_campaign=84ce1d3b68-&utm_medium=email

Please continue to vote for Humane Society of Midland County in the Shelter Challenge. They are still holding as #5 for Michigan.

phesina
10-20-2011, 09:56 PM
What a wonderful person. God bless Rhoda and the Humane Society of Midland County. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I sent her magnets off to her today!

kuhio98
10-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I sent her magnets off to her today!

Thanks so much! I know they will raise her spirits.

phesina
10-21-2011, 01:03 PM
I didn't put my return address, so she wouldn't be able to send a thank-you note. I just said we're your new Pet Talk friends in Ann Arbor thanks to your Pet Talk friend in Alaska, we were sending good wishes, and "You are loved."
I signed all our names, me and the 7 cats.

wombat2u2004
10-21-2011, 05:24 PM
[SIZE="3"]Here's a link to a writeup on my friend before she got sick and had to stop volunteering at her shelter.

Just an aside here.........on the site there is mention of her working at Dow Chemicals. Is there any link there with her having leukemia ???
I just thought I'd ask, as Dow does pop up every now and again in our veterans newsletters with a link to leukemia.

kuhio98
10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
They are still #5. But, closing in on #4 which is Detroit. Pretty amazing since Detroit is such a huge city in comparison to Midland.

Please continue to vote once a day. Post on Facebook, etc. Tell all your friends! :D

Vote once a day until December 18th, 2011

A dear friend of mine -- and a long-time volunteer at the Humane Society of Midland County (Michigan) has recently been diagnosed with acute myologeneous leukemia (AML). She was given approximately 6 weeks to live.

She's fighting with all she has and is starting her second round of chemo next week.

Her doctor told her to get rid of her cats. She refused saying that they were responsible for her health and happiness. But, she was forced to give up her volunteer duties at the shelter.

It's too late for us to go to medical school and discover the cure for cancer. But, we can help one of her dreams come true.

The Animal Rescue Site is holding a Shelter Challenge: http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/shelterchallenge.faces?siteId=3

They will give a $5000 grant to the shelter who gets the most overall votes.
They will give a $1000 grant to the top shelter of each State.

Please take the time to vote each day for Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, MI (screen shot below).

Please cross-post as you feel appropriate. My dear friend is determined to continue her fight to be with us when the results are announced in December.

Thank you!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Rhodasshelter.jpg

beeniesmom
10-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Thank you!

You voted for:
Midland, MI 48641

:)

kuhio98
10-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Drum roll please...............!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/smilies1045feesttrommels.gif

Up to #4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/102411results.jpg

kuhio98
10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Thank you for your continued support.
They are still in 4th but pulling further ahead from #5.

Please continue to vote each day -- from every browser on your computer -- from every computer you have access too!:D

My friends goes for a blood draw today. Fingers, paws and whiskers crossed that the #'s have improved = chemo is working.

kuhio98
11-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Please continue to vote. They are barely hanging on to 4th place.

Gonna take a miracle to get them into 3rd!

kuhio98
11-09-2011, 04:10 PM
She was told yesterday that the chemo is not working. They do not recommend a third round of chemo. Nothing more that they can do for her.

I'm encouraging her to contact Cancer Centers of America to see if they have some ideas. But, she's not ready to do that right now.

Please continue to vote and pray. She said her goal is to live until Christmas. :love::love::love:

kuhio98
11-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Still in 4th. Please keep voting and cross-posting. If you have any ideas on how to get the word out, please let me know.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/111011Results.jpg

MoonandBean
11-10-2011, 10:55 AM
You voted for:
Midland, MI 48641

kuhio98
12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
The Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, MI has dropped back to 5th place.

Please remember to vote once a day -- from each browser on your computer.

Thank you.

My friend is still fighting. She has already lived past the 6-week prognosis. She has decided to make each holiday her goal. So, she'll fight to make it to Christmas....then New Years...then Valentine's Day....

kuhio98
12-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Today's the last day for the Shelter Challenge.

Please get your votes in -- no matter which shelter you're voting for. :D

kuhio98
01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
A new challenge began on January 9, 2012. You can vote once a day from each browser on your computer. Please consider casting your vote(s) for the Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, Michigan.

Rhoda is still fighting to stay alive. Here's an update I received from her yesterday.

Chemotherapy has been stopped permanently. It was taking my white blood cells to the danger level. I will be kept alive now with periodic blood transfusions. Platelets are a risk according to the oncologist. And eventually blood transfusions will affect my liver and spleen. I was only supposed to live for three to four months and it has now been over four months. I am truly blessed and the power of prayer is evident each day of my life.

Currently, I don't feel as though I'm dying. My bones hurt a lot and the muscles in my arms and shoulders seem to be affected by something but the doctor doesn't know what, and I am quite tired. Other than that, I feel pretty darned upbeat and I'm going to stay this way as long as I'm conscious to the best of my ability.

I feel that I am receiving so many blessings here on earth these past few months that when I do die there won't be anything left for me in Heaven. I cannot explain it - why I feel this way - but I'm blessed beyond words. I don't know what to say anymore. Thank you's aren't enough. I am unable to express my heart. And you have been such a big part of this. Your picture is still on my dining room wall, along with Susan Boyle's and everyone who comes into my home wants to know who you are, because on the printout of your picture I have written "Lisa - A Very Special Lady".

Grace
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Prayers and votes from SE Michigan, up to Midland :)

phesina
01-11-2012, 04:28 PM
More prayers from SE Michigan and votes for the HSMC. God bless Rhoda, her spirit is amazing and touching.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: