PDA

View Full Version : Explore Ann Arbor with the NY Times!

phesina
10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Among today's exotic destinations:

36 Hours in Ann Arbor, Mich.
"An abundance of cultural opportunities from classical dance to bluegrass, combined with the football season, makes fall an ideal time to visit this ultimate college town."
http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/travel/36-hours-in-ann-arbor-mich.html?nl=travel&emc=tda1

There's even a slide show! http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/10/09/travel/20111009-hours-annarbor.html?nl=travel&emc=tda1

Grace
10-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Too bad they didn't include some pics of the panhandlers on East Liberty - stores are closing there because of them :mad:

Did they mention in the article about the money set aside for "art" in the city - at the same time they are cutting police and firemen?

Ann Arbor can be dressed up real pretty, but they have the same type of problems every other place has these days.

momcat
10-10-2011, 02:50 PM
WOW! What a treat to see so many pictures of your beautiful city! Those sandwiches look soooo good I'm ready to go out there and get one. Thank you so very much for sharing. I hope the Haggis In A Hurry Shoppe is preparing for all the visitors who will be going to Ann Arbor for a visit.

phesina
10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
You're right about that, Gretchen, and have you heard yet that the county wants to cut in half its next year's budget for the Humane Society to provide COUNTY-REQUIRED animal control but still expects them to rescue and shelter the same number of animals?

That's a whole other issue I can really go off on and will be soon (watch your e-mail)..

Unpleasant local issues and politics and infighting go on everywhere, but Travel sections exist to make different places look and sound interesting to visit, to encourage tourism (i.e., business) and getting to know the outside world.

Paris was also featured in Sunday's Travel section. Want to bet they don't have a lot of urgent urban and regional issues to deal with there? ;) I didn't see anything about Paris down-sides in the Times either. But the article and the stunning photos make me hope even more to be able to visit that beautiful city some day.

I thought it was kind of neat that they showcased Ann Arbor for their wide readership. If more people visit Ann Arbor, that will lead to more money coming in locally.. which will enable better police and fire protection (and animal control) and safer streets.. AND better homeless sheltering and care, which has a lot to do with all the panhandlers on the streets these days.

By the way, Gretchen, speaking of the New York Times... I LOVE your new signature!!!! (I read Bill Keller's OpEd piece today too.)

Eileen, when you come, we'll see if we can book a special evening at the Haggis in a Hurry Shoppe, complete with bagpipe music and dancing! (I wondered why the Times didn't include it in their feature, but I guess it is one of those gems only known to the locals.. and as it is always so mobbed, it is already hard enough even to get in.)

Pat