PDA

View Full Version : Sam to the dentist - White Coats - Update about Emily

mrspunkysmom
10-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Yesterday, Spunky, Sam, Jane, and Emily had a routine visit to the vet. For the first three is was their normal yearly visit and Emily went just for a senior wellness check. Spunky and Sam also had a senior wellness check.

Somehow Spunky knew what was up before I could even get them in their carriers. So he was the last in and almost made me late.

The lady vet was on duty today. She is too serious and has no bedside manner.

I can't remember all of the weights, but Emily has lost weight and is now 6.4 pounds and she was 7.2. Yet she looks better than ever. And she eats like it is going out of style. Her flanks/haunches have filled out because she was noticeably thin when I got her.

Spunky's weight is normal but the vet heard a heart murmur. I don't know how. When he is stressed is purrs LOUDLY and you can't hear anything else. Spunky eats twice what Sam does yet remains slender. Probably all that energy.

Sam is overweight (like I didn't know), could really lose 3-4 pounds, and he has gingivitis. Not surprising since he has had teeth problems for years. And the recent stress from the new kitties has probably made him more susceptible to infection. He is also the one that likes the weight control dry. Wish it would help him lose weight. He has a cleaning Thursday.

Jane is overweight. That's the news that irritated me. I know Jane could lose a pound but she's not obese. The gentleman vet has never been critical of their weight. Like humans every cat has its body type.

Rather than come in the room, they took each cat out separately to keep the confusion down. Emily and Jane were carried out in their carriers. Spunky was just carried out because he is a good boy and knows when he's lost the battle. Sam was carried out in the carrier but his has a zip top so you can lift him out. He was trying to make himself as small as possible in the carrier. The carrier is his refuge when at the vet. The others like to explore. Yesterday, only Spunky was let out of the carrier.

The blood work might be back Monday, but Tuesday is also likely. Hoping for good results. No sign of tapeworm so that isn't a cause of excessive hunger.

I do have pictures of the kittehs in their carriers and I'll post later.

krazyaboutkatz
10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
I know that some vets seem more concerned about weight than others. Right now I only have to be concerned about Ziggy's weight so she's on a permanent diet. Hopefully the bloodwork will all come back fine. I can't even imagine trying to bring in 4 cats all at once. The most I've ever brought in before was 3 and that was very difficult for me. Good luck.:)

lizbud
10-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Seems like everything went pretty well for having all 4 at once.:) I get
a little stressed when I take just 1.(I'm a worry wort about their health
I guess)

Freedom
10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Congrats on getting them all in carriers and in and only "almost" being late! I admire that!

Sounds like a good report overall. Darn gingivitis! Good luck at the dental, Sam. If mine need a dental but there is no infection, my vet allows me to wait until Feb / Mar - pet dental months. They run special, the drop in cost is significant! Just a thought to pass along to you.

mrspunkysmom
10-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Congrats on getting them all in carriers and in and only "almost" being late! I admire that!

Sounds like a good report overall. Darn gingivitis! Good luck at the dental, Sam. If mine need a dental but there is no infection, my vet allows me to wait until Feb / Mar - pet dental months. They run special, the drop in cost is significant! Just a thought to pass along to you.

I'll remember that. Sam has stomatitus so it is best to get this done. I can't examine his mouth. He refuses to let you touch him anywhere but the head and on the top or the cheeks. Even the cats can't reciprocate the grooming process.

I will ask about dental specials and how much infection is there at this point.

mrspunkysmom
10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I heard from the vet today.

Spunky has a slightly high creatinine level. Everything else was normal. And he definitely has a heart murmur.

Emily is hyperthyroid. she has her on 0.5 Methimazole 5mg/ml given twice per day. She needs to be treated but before I give her the first dose, I wanted to ask your opinions. She is only 6 pounds.

I also have a question about how to fill the syringe. She marked it, but do I use the bottom of the black stopper or the top? This syringe does not have a flat tip but a tapered nozzle in place of a needle. 1/2 inch to 3/4 maybe.

I don't want to give her too much. I was told this could make her sick anyway for a while. No need to give too much.

And do the does need to be the exact same time every day. How much leeway is there?

Soapets
10-10-2011, 06:39 PM
You measure it in the syringe by making the bottom of the black stopper even with the mark on the srynige...so the medicine is right up to the mark. The measurement marks take into account the type of tip of the syringe, etc. Hyperthyroid can make Emily lose weight, because it speeds up the metabolism, among other things. She needs the medicine to counteract the overactive thyroid and the hormones it overstimulates, etc. It is best to give it around the same time every day. DEFINITELY DON'T give it in the morning one day and in the evening the next, etc. You could probably just make it so that you give it to her during the same part of the day every day and still be safe....such as give it to her every morning, or evening, within an hour or two time-span..... Good luck with this! I never have very good luck getting ANY medicine into ANY of my cats!

mrspunkysmom
10-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I experimented with the syringe by drawing out and replacing without removing the syringe. The syringe does not eject all of the medicine. What is in the tip stays there. The syringe is well made.

So I squirted what I hope was the correct amount on her food. She ate most but not all of it, so I threw the rest away so that the others don't get it. I might try squirting in her mouth tomorrow.

I have to give it twice per day, morning and evening. I'm just wondering does it have the be the exact time every day or do I have a 1/2 hour leeway?

I may make a trip to the vet tomorrow just to be sure.

Soapets
10-10-2011, 07:55 PM
1/2 hour leeway would be VERY reasonable....I know that Nursing homes give at least that much for humans to have their daily medications.....I would think that a one hour leeway would also be reasonable, if necessary. It would be good to ask the Vet for tips at to whether or not to give the medicine in/with food, etc.... GOOD LUCK with everything!

Taz_Zoee
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
I know it's not easy, but I think its best to give the meds directly into the cats mouth. Some meds should not be given on the food. Plus she may not get the full dose that way. This is why with Taz I preferred pills and I used a pill popper (or you could try pill pockets) to inject it into his throat.
Luckily I haven't had to give Paizly or Jax any meds.......yet. *knock on wood*

Freedom
10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I've had 3 cats become hyperthyroid, but the treatment was always with pills not a liquid and syringe. I would never be able to get fluids into any of my cats!

Good luck, I think trip to the vet for a training session is quite appropriate. The vet techs can help you with this, and you should not need to pay for this training session.

cassiesmom
10-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Does it have the be the exact time every day or do I have a 1/2 hour leeway?

I think a half hour either way is no problem. Even 60 minutes.

Does methimazole come in a tablet form? Would it be easier to give her a pill vs. a liquid dose?

Fingers and paws tightly crossed for Emily and her meowmie and BIG hugs for the Kitty Kwintet!

krazyaboutkatz
10-11-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Spunky has a heart murmur and that Emily has hyperthyroidism.:( My Storm also has hyperthyroidism and he takes it in the pill form. He also takes the very minimum 2 times a day. He loves the chicken pill pockets so I put the pills in part of one of them and he just thinks he's getting a treat. I would think that the liquid would be harder to get into a cat because it's messier and it would also taste bad too. Good luck.:)

catmandu
10-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I remember taking Six Found Cats to the Vets and it was so chaotic!!!
We prya that Your Cats will do all right on thier new meds , it is so worrying when Our Mature Cats are not well.:(

mrspunkysmom
10-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Okay. The vet tech showed me where to fill the syringe to. I was doing it right. Emily is a curmudgeon. I don't see her taking a pill.

I might just try the liquid down the throat. The tech suggested that I put the medicine on a spoonful of food and let her eat all of that first then give her the rest of the food. I tried that tonight. She ate the spoonful, but not quickly. I am assuming the dry food on the floor that was vomited was hers. She might not feel well or she might be playing me. She wouldn't eat until I put Appetizers in her bowl along with the medicated spoonful.

She really didn't feel like eating this morning. This is a change. I wonder if the minimum dose is too high.

Pill pockets might work. Put the liquid in the pockets. hmmm

The whole point of this is to make her gain weight and feel better. If she isn't eating, that won't happen.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Soapets
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Hyperthyroidism can increase the appetite, but no matter how much is eaten it causes weight loss due to increased metabolism. It could be that the medicine IS working, causing Emily's appetite to DECREASE because it IS working against the hyperthyroidism. Even though she may eat less than before, she should stop losing weight because her metabolism will slow down. Does that make sense? I hope things continue to improve!

mrspunkysmom
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Oh it makes sense, I just didn't think it worked that fast. I was told a month. I don't want her throwing up everything she eats. Vomiting is one of the side effects. :mad:

I have hypothyroidism so I am well aware of what the thyroid does. :( I just don't want the cure to be worse than the disease. Yeah, I know it can't be cured. :mad:

Hopefully she'll feel better soon. :love:

And thanks for your input. It's been a great help.

mrspunkysmom
10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
This afternoon I took Sam to the vet for his dental. I pick him up tomorrow afternoon (Thursday). He has gingivitis. He was not happy and somehow I telegraphed my moves well before I had to corral him. Or he is still remembering Saturday. :D

They wanted to call me to permission for anything and I said "just fix it, unless it is catastrophic and unusual."

Let you know the results tomorrow evening. Hopefully going out to celebrate a friend's birthday.

mrspunkysmom
10-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Apparently the Tapazole liquid is vile and bitter. Even putting it in food doesn't help. Emily so tried to eat her meal this morning. She got about half-way through and I took the bowl away. I let her eat others bowls after they were done.

Tonight I let her eat first and later I gave her the does down her throat. I had to cradle her until she realized she wasn't escaping. I then fed her again to cover the taste.

I hope I can do the same thing in the morning. :D

Catty1
10-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Glad she is not battling you!

Hopefully you can get the pills when the liquid runs out, and maybe it will be easier for her and you. :love:

Good wishes for Sam.:)

mrspunkysmom
10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Sam is back from the dentist, growling all the way home. He was not a happy camper. One extraction and a cleaning. They cleaned his ears for free since he won't let other cats touch him.

He's on antibiotics so now I have two cats to medicate. Sam will be a chore since he is so big. :D

Wish me luck.

phesina
10-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Good luck wishes to you and Sam, Anne!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

mrspunkysmom
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Thank you. He was a velcro kitty all evening. He wanted soft food and lots and lots of attention. He played with the laser too. :D Others joined in.

He's feeling better. :D