PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Geckos

lailamara
11-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Does anyone have leopard geckos? We just got 2 at my school and they are so beautiful. They look like their skin is made of velvet with spots.They are a male and female and apparently expecting. How long does gestation take ? One is still shedding and in 2 weeks we will be able to handle them. Do they like to be held and do they become very tame?

CathyBogart
11-10-2002, 02:34 AM
They do become very tame, even if they're skittish at first. I don't have any personally, but I love all reptiles and I have cared for Leo's in the past. They are really delightful little guys, and they are beautiful! Once in awhile you'll get a pleasant surprise when one sheds; they tend to change color radically from time to time.

Just in case you don't know this stuff already; Leo's are easily stressed, so keep handling to a minimum for awhile and gradually work them up to more. Also, their skin is a bit sensitive, and their tails drop quite easily. In captivity this isn't really a bad thing, but the tail is never quite the same shape again. Their tails do grow back in interesting colors though...My friend James' Leo dropped its tail, and it grew back highlighter orange!!

Enjoy your Leo's!!

--Cathy

lailamara
11-10-2002, 08:53 AM
Also, their skin is a bit sensitive, and their tails drop quite easily. In captivity this isn't really a bad thing,
Does this happen with gentle handling or would one of the kids have to hold them too firmly ? Yikes. Their skin does look sensitive. We will supervise all handling. I'm really looking forward to getting aquainted with them. I think they're going to be called "Frisco" and "Disco".

CathyBogart
11-11-2002, 03:49 PM
I don't think kids handling them will be a problem if its supervised. The biggest problems I have come across involved squirmy leos getting out of hands and falling on something that cut its skin. Fortunately they also heal very quickly.

I love the names you've picked for them! Have fun with them and keep us posted!

--Cathy

SANDY FROST
11-13-2002, 01:57 AM
I HAVE A ZOO AT MY HOUSE. ALL THE EXOTIC ANIMALS. I HAVE 3 LEOPARD GECKOS. THE MALE WAS TOO AGRESSIVE ABOUT HIS CAGE. SO I PUT THE 2 FEMALES IN SEPERATE CAGES. I PUT ALL THE GLASS CAGES TOGETHER SO THEY CAN SEE EACH OTHER.

THEY ARE HAPPY AND HEALTHY. THEY EAR WAXWORMS,MEALWORMS, CRICKETS AND PINKIES. THEY ARE EVEN POTTY TRAINED LIKE A CAT.
THEY ARE VERY CAT LIKE. THEY LOVE CLEAN CAGES. IF YOU PUT A MARGINE LID WHERE THEY DEFECATE THEY WILL GO ON THE LID AND THE REST OF CAGE IS CLEAN. WHEN THEY SEE LIVE PREY LIKE CRICKETS IN THEIR CAGE
THEY STALK THEM AND WIGGLE THE TIP OF THEIR TAIL JUST BEFORE THEY STRIKE. ALSO THEY HAVE A EAR CANAL LIKE A TUNNEL KINDA OF LIKE A HOLE IN THEIR HEAD.
SANDY FROST

:cool: