PDA

View Full Version : Can't open the bar #450 - it's locked

gini
10-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Well, it's really happened this time. I don't have any keys and the hidden key isn't in its proper place - and I have rattled the windows and doors and there is no one inside. I can't open the bar.

Richard what did you do with the keys?

Thank goodness it is a nice day - guess I will just sit outside here for a while and see if anyone shows up.

wombat2u2004
10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Here I am Gini, with the keys. Richard sent them to me this morning by Kookaburra mail, and told me that the first ten customers are allowed a free hot chocolate and bagel.
You get the bagels out, and I'll start the hot chocolates. ;)

gini
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Wom, thank goodness. To kill the time I was reading about whether you should allow your dog to pee on the neighbor's lawns. Glad you came just in time to get me away from that one.

Bagels - hot with fresh butter - and cream cheese coming right up.

Thanks for opening up!!

pomtzu
10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Bagels and cream cheese??? Count me in please. :)

I have a pot of corn chowder on the stove, freshly made this morning, if anyone would like some for lunch. Any nice fresh crusty bread around here to go with it???

Randi
10-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I've often wondered what corn chowder is, so I finally looked it up. Seems there are quite a few different recipes on it. Which one is good? I might try it some day. :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=corn%20chowder%20%26%20picture&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

wombat2u2004
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Corn Chowder ??? Awww yeah. Last time I had chowder was in a little place in DEL called "The Chowder Pot"....so count me in.

wombat2u2004
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I've often wondered what corn chowder is, so I finally looked it up. Seems there are quite a few different recipes on it. Which one is good? I might try it some day. :)

If you like seafood, then Seafood Chowder is the BEST....no kidding.

pomtzu
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM

I don't do anything fancy or time consuming - just pretty basic. What I post below will serve 2. You can always increase it.

2 or 3 boiled potatoes - peeled and diced. I leave mine more in chunk size - I like the bigger pieces.
1 can cream style corn - 14.75oz or 418g
milk
onion
ground black pepper

Brown a small chopped onion in butter. You can use dehydrated chopped onion in place of fresh - just rehydrate first.
Add in the corn and potatoes, and just enough milk to get a desired consistency - just however you like it. I prefer mine somewhat thick, so don't use much milk. Pepper to taste. Then just heat and eat.

This is a nice quick fix, yet homemade without a lot of fuss. You can extend it a little too by adding a can of drained whole kernel corn. Makes it a little "cornier"

lvpets2002
10-06-2011, 11:53 AM
:) All of the Above for Me & the Orc.. Sounds so yummy..

Randi
10-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the recipe, that sounds easy. :) Not sure I can get a can of cream style corn, though we do have a supermarket that sell American and British products. I usually buy frozen corn.

When I saw the pictures of corn chowder, it reminded of this:
http://www.copenhagenet.dk/CPH-Map/CPH-Recipes-10-10-Split-Pea.asp

I do like seafood, so I'll look into that, too. :) Gotta keep away from shrimps at the moment, though. My cholesterol no. is 7.3. :eek:

pomtzu
10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the recipe, that sounds easy. :) Not sure I can get a can of cream style corn, though we do have a supermarket that sell American and British products. I usually buy frozen corn.

I edited the recipe a bit - you might want to check it out. I imagine you could "cream" your own frozen corn too - must be a recipe somewhere on how to do that. It's just so easy to open a can tho...........:D

Karen
10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Our corn chowder always had little bits of bacon in it, too!

pomtzu
10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Our corn chowder always had little bits of bacon in it, too!

You're right Karen, tho I don't usually have bacon or fat back in the house. I always have all the other ingredients to throw one together in a jiffy tho, and I don't find where it makes a big difference with that one ingredient missing.

Lady's Human
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Sorry, guys, my fault. I gave Orc the keys, he was supposed to put them back in place. I guess we need to get David's butt back in here, he seems to be the only one Orc listens to.

RICHARD
10-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone.

Sorry i am late here.

I do have a great recipe for jalapeno cornbread.

Make the cornbread per the recipe-then add 1/3 cup of diced jalapenos, 1 cup of cheese and 1/3 cup of onions. I have subtituted green and red bell peppers for the onions and a can of regular corn or creamed corn- the creamed corn makes the bread more moist. It's an easy recipe and makes a great tasting bread.

(The recipe asks that you flour and oil the pan you bake it in? I used bacon grease and it gives the bread a hint of bacon...)

wombat2u2004
10-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone.

Sorry i am late here.

I do have a great recipe for jalapeno cornbread.

Make the cornbread per the recipe-then add 1/3 cup of diced jalapenos, 1 cup of cheese and 1/3 cup of onions. I have subtituted green and red bell peppers for the onions and a can of regular corn or creamed corn- the creamed corn makes the bread more moist. It's an easy recipe and makes a great tasting bread.

(The recipe asks that you flour and oil the pan you bake it in? I used bacon grease and it gives the bread a hint of bacon...)

I tried that, but kept getting kicked out of bed for making loud noises. :D

slick
10-07-2011, 12:36 AM
2 or 3 boiled potatoes - peeled and diced. I leave mine more in chunk size - I like the bigger pieces.
1 can cream style corn - 14.75oz or 418g
milk
onion
ground black pepper
Brown a small chopped onion in butter. You can use dehydrated chopped onion in place of fresh - just rehydrate first.
Add in the corn and potatoes, and just enough milk to get a desired consistency - just however you like it. I prefer mine somewhat thick, so don't use much milk. Pepper to taste. Then just heat and eat.
This is a nice quick fix, yet homemade without a lot of fuss. You can extend it a little too by adding a can of drained whole kernel corn. Makes it a little "cornier"Oh my Lord, that's sounds wonderful :) I have some frozen corn that I can use in place of the fresh corn. All I need is the creamed corn which I don't normally like but in this recipe... well let's just say I know what I'm having this weekend. Richard, that cornbread recipe is to die for. Thanks for posting that. Luv ya :love:

Hey, this weekend is Thanksgiving weekend for us Canucks - anyone want some turkey and stuffing?? Pillows provided. :)

For now, please may I have a Gin and Tonic???

RICHARD
10-07-2011, 08:40 AM
One G&T for the slickster and I'd love to have some turkey.

DONE!

Wom,

You shouldn't be so 'vocal' while people are sleeping....:eek:;)

Pinot's Mom
10-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Hey y'all! Sorry I've not been communicating, but my on line time is limited due to VACATION!! We're in Manitou Springs right now. It's been amazing.

Could I please get some corn chowder, some jalapeno corn bread and my usual vodka & diet ginger? Thanks; appreciate it!

slick
10-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Leaving work in 10 min. Have a date with my trainer tonight.

PM: I'm on vacation now until the 18th. Heading to New Mexico to visit Zippy and her furcrew. Apparently all I need are shorts, T's and flip flops..... Looking forward to some sunshine.

One large cold beer to go please. I'll check back on the weekend.

lbaker
10-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Gini, did you forget Marios favorite place for the "extra" extra key... next time look on the roof ;) :D
:love: Laurie

jennielynn1970
10-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm having what my boyfriend calls "Redneck" pie. It's called Cornpie, and it's really yummy. It's on the same vein as the corn chowder but it's in a pie shell and baked.

2-3 potatoes, cubed
3-4 cans whole corn
bacon
one or two hard boiled eggs
milk, maybe 1/2 a cup
salt and pepper
pie dough to go around a large casserole dish and on top of the casserole

Heat everything in a pot, pour into the casserole, cover and bake at 325 until the crust is nice and golden brown. Should take about 1 hr. to 1 1 /2 hrs. You can add more milk to top it off when eating it, or just serve as is. It's delish!!

Just edited it because I got one from my mom and it's more corn than potato. My mom's pie is made with fresh corn right off the cob, so it's a lot of cobs of corn!!! But not as many potatoes.

Barbara
10-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Leaving work in 10 min. Have a date with my trainer tonight.

PM: I'm on vacation now until the 18th. Heading to New Mexico to visit Zippy and her furcrew. Apparently all I need are shorts, T's and flip flops..... Looking forward to some sunshine.

One large cold beer to go please. I'll check back on the weekend.

When going to NM- go for a margarita- here we have temps in the 50s so it's rather corn chowder time - never heard of creamed corn but there seem to be ways around it.

RICHARD
10-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Beer, margaritas and a shot of whiskey for the men!?!

Done.:D

-----------------

Creamed corn?

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/creamed_corn/

Enjoy!

lbaker
10-09-2011, 02:27 PM
"Beer, margaritas and a shot of whiskey for the men!?!"

...and beer for my horses?RICHARD??

Karen
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I think horses prefer apple cider!