PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs, founder and former CEO of Apple, has passed away.

Roxyluvsme13
10-05-2011, 06:54 PM
It's all over Facebook and the news. I'm very sad to hear of this.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/5507572/Steve-Jobs-The-genius-behind-Apple

May he rest in peace.

CountryWolf07
10-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm shocked, a day after the iPhone 4S release - may he rest in peace.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2wf8tmq.png

Karen
10-05-2011, 07:00 PM
It is sad, but we knew it was going to happen, given his illness and how thin he had become, it was obvious he was extremely ill.

I was there in 1984 when they debuted the Macintosh in Boston, I was a college student and the event was held at my school, so I got to see it. I have used them pretty much ever since.

sasvermont
10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Rest in Peace, Steve.

Grace
10-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Not surprised, but still saddened.

Alysser
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I wasn't expecting this so soon. May he Rest in Peace. Thanks for making Ben (my beloved macbook) for me.

jennielynn1970
10-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Had no idea he was even sick....:o

Rest in peace. You ingenuity has given me the power to help educate my students.

Roxyluvsme13
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
It is sad, but we knew it was going to happen, given his illness and how thin he had become, it was obvious he was extremely ill.

I was there in 1984 when they debuted the Macintosh in Boston, I was a college student and the event was held at my school, so I got to see it. I have used them pretty much ever since.
Yeah, that's true. It wasn't completely shocking. I just didn't think he would be gone so soon.

That is absolutely awesome. You saw the first Mac!

I send big thanks to Steve for creating Violet (my MacBook Pro) and my iPod :love:

Puckstop31
10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
R.I.P Steve.

You made the computer, personal, and it changed the world for the better.

Catty1
10-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Just heard this on the news. Like others, sad but not shocked. I think he survived quite a while with the pancreatic cancer.

Rest in well deserved peace, sir.:love:

Freedom
10-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I saw it all over FB too. Like so many have said, not surprised, though I didn't expect it quite this soon. Yes, he held on a LONG time w/ that pancreatic cancer. My friend's Dad had that and died less than 7 weeks after diagnosis.

Catty1
10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Here is Steve introducing the Apple II in 1977. :)

http://www.cbc.ca/photos/galleries/1010/1010_15166_web_8column.jpg

Photo gallery and story here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/10/05/apple-jobs-death.html

Alysser
10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D1R-jKKp3NA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very much worth watching. :)

CountryWolf07
10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D1R-jKKp3NA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It would be awesome if someone could transcribe the speech for me. Anyone? I would really appreciate it. :)

Grace
10-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Does this work?

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

Randi
10-06-2011, 06:43 AM
I am saddened that we have lost a genius like Steve Jobs. :( He started no less than a revolution in computing!

What President Barack Obama said, sums it up:
"Steve was among the greatest of American innovators — brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."

I remember how thrilled both John and I were, when he bought his first Apple computer in 1988, I think it was the SE. Equally thrilled was our friend, a journalist, who got to meet Steve Jobs in Copenhagen shortly after.

Rest in peace, Steve - you will be missed, but never forgotten!

Kirsten
10-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Very sad, may he rest in peace.

I saw this speech on German tv this morning; I was very impressed.

pomtzu
10-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Death of anyone is always a great loss, but even more so when such a brilliant mind passes on at such a young age.

RIP Steve Jobs. The world was changed by you, and tho your name may fade from peoples' minds, your legacy never will.

Queen of Poop
10-06-2011, 08:25 AM
I don't know what else to say but iSad.

I remember when my dad brought home the Apple Computer, when I was still a teenager. I've been an Apple/Mac fan ever since. Steve Jobs was a genius.

Taz_Zoee
10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I believe he was diagnosed with cancer in 2004. I heard on the radio a timeline of his life............AMAZING!! The things he did are just above and beyond incredible. I can't imagine how things will go now that his genius is no longer around. :(

I figured things had taken a turn for the worse when he stepped down from his position at the end of August. The world has experienced a terrible loss. But his legacy will live on, I'm sure.

RIP Steve Jobs

lizbud
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Thank you for posting his speech. I had not heard it before & enjoyed
it very much.

May he rest in peace.

Randi
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh, the memories this brings back.... take a look!
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/01/the-evolution-of-apple-design-between-1977-2008/

I still have the Power Mac 7600/132 sitting behind me, next to my PC with Windows on. I really should try to connect it and see what's there, I know I have a lot of stuff on it.

lvpets2002
10-06-2011, 11:56 AM
:) I so Aggree.. Steve Jobs was a Very Great Man.. RIP & You Will So Be Missed By So Many People..

I am saddened that we have lost a genius like Steve Jobs. :( He started no less than a revolution in computing!

What President Barack Obama said, sums it up:
"Steve was among the greatest of American innovators — brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."

I remember how thrilled both John and I were, when he bought his first Apple computer in 1988, I think it was the SE. Equally thrilled was our friend, a journalist, who got to meet Steve Jobs in Copenhagen shortly after.

Rest in peace, Steve - you will be missed, but never forgotten!

IRescue452
10-06-2011, 01:27 PM
He was a rich CEO with absolutely no public record of charity. He was no great man. He's not going to rest in peace, he's going to hell for having the means but not the will to help others. Why are you guys crying over some rich guy who couldn't buy himself the cure for cancer?

Karen
10-06-2011, 01:30 PM
He was a rich CEO with absolutely no public record of charity. He was no great man. He's not going to rest in peace, he's going to hell for having the means but not the will to help others. Why are you guys crying over some rich guy who couldn't buy himself the cure for cancer?

You are wrong. He instituted many programs to provide Apple computers for schools, teachers and students at a steep discount from the early years of the company. He was always involved in educational work. Just because his charity work was not touted publicly like Bill Gates or Angelina Jolie does not mean he did not do charity.

sana
10-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Had no idea he was even sick....:o

Me too!

My cousin posted this news on Facebook too..

finn's mom
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM

What a tacky, inappropriate, hateful, cynical thing to say when people are simply expressing grief over someone who has impacted their lives.

Regardless of what you think makes a person worth grieving over, spewing this diarrhea within a topic meant to honor a person's life and legacy is shocking and distasteful, to say the very least.

I have always admired Mr. Jobs and am saddened by his death.

caseysmom
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
What a judgemental thing to say, are you god?

Giving thousands jobs makes him a worthwhile person alone, I am sure he donated but didn't care to impress people like you.

I do lots of things for people that are not on paper because it comes from my heart not trying to impress any idiots trying to judge otherss.

pomtzu
10-06-2011, 03:08 PM
What a tacky, inappropriate, hateful, cynical thing to say when people are simply expressing grief over someone who has impacted their lives.

Regardless of what you think makes a person worth grieving over, spewing this diarrhea within a topic meant to honor a person's life and legacy is shocking and distasteful, to say the very least.

I have always admired Mr. Jobs and am saddened by his death.

I couldn't have said it better. Thank you!

Alysser
10-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Why am I upset over his death? Because he has done so many things for the general public, just by creating his inventions. Just by making Macbooks, Ipads, and Iphones he has helped the world. He helps people connect with their families overseas, run businesses, learn, etc. He gave thousands jobs and has created legendary innovations that will never fade.

There is a HUGE difference between having an opinion and being callous and you just crossed it. :rolleyes:

Charity work doesn't define everything. Because you don't go out and do charity work doesn't mean you are a terrible person. He's done enough just by giving people the opportunity to learn from his inventions.

Roxyluvsme13
10-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Wow. I'm appalled.

Steve Jobs died yesterday, and you're making an assumption that he's going to hell? How do you think his family would feel if he saw someone say something like that? They've already lost someone they loved, and now to read that?

America is mourning the loss of a brilliant man. He changed the world of technology, and Apple will continue to do so as they continue to live his legacy.

blue
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM

I have no love for the man and I despise the products from the company he founded, but to judge him by is public persona alone is pretty dang ignorant. He was a great innovator and an even better marketer, there are many things we wouldnt have today if it werent for Jobs pushing ideas to market to sheeple.

You are wrong. He instituted many programs to provide Apple computers for schools, teachers and students at a steep discount from the early years of the company. He was always involved in educational work.

Actually that is just good marketing to future consumers, very smart marketing as well.

kitten645
10-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm again thankful for the ignore option here.
Steve Jobs touched every human on the earth. That is an amazing accomplishment. He attached us to each other in ways I could never have imagined in my lifetime. RIP Steve. And thank you.

blue
10-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Steve Jobs touched every human on the earth.

:confused:

Obama is a consumer and someone who would punish Mr Jobs for being a success. The following quotes are from Steve Jobs peers in the industry.

I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely.

I want to express my deepest condolences at the passing of Steve Jobs, one of the founders of our industry and a true visionary. My heart goes out to his family, everyone at Apple and everyone who has been touched by his work.

Link to interview with Woz on Jobs. (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/wozniak-on-steve-jobs-macintosh-experience-hurt-him-a-lot/59986?tag=content;siu-container)

kitten645
10-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Blah blah blah. Ignore ignore ignore.

blue
10-07-2011, 02:48 AM
While Kitten would like to continue her delusion that Jobs was a Saint, the rest of us know he wasnt. Jobs lied, stole, and deceived, even to his best friend Woz.

Kitten is the perfect Apple user, proof of which is using the ignore function, Jobs would be proud of her for it. I mean that in no way as an insult to Kitten or Jobs. One way I do agree with Jobs, there are three ways of doing things: the right way, the wrong way, and My Way.

Yes my opinion of Jobs as a human being is low, but the man knew how to market and to get what he wanted. Woz built the Apple and Apple ][ and Jobs marketed it.

What Jobs did with Pixar was, to quote the man, "insanely great".

His NeXT systems wound up returning Apple to the fan bois and girls and the hipsters and regaining market share of those who will pay a premium.

Jobs had something else going for him, if he wanted something he had a company behind him that would build it and he could sell it to the masses. He thought of things he wanted for himself, he convinced the unwashed masses they NEEDED it, and they made him rich. The man would have made PT Barnum proud.

Another reason I can admire the man even if I dont personally like him, his philosophy of My Way or No Way, drove the Open Source Movement as well as Microsoft developments. The following is my opinion.

Android would not be where it is today without iOS. The smart phone market in general, including Windows phones, would not be where it is today without the iPhone.

Linux would not be where it is without Unix and OSX. Without Unix we wouldnt have OSX. Without OSX being a locked down system, there are Linux features I wouldnt enjoy today. There are many OSX features now in Win and Tux that I hate as well. With Tux I have freedom to choose the features I want, :).

Windows, even with its killer app Office, would have been years behind Apple if they hadnt stolen the GUI from Apple, a GUI that Apple stole from Xerox. OSX and iOS, IMHO, is driving the Win8 development.

Jobs wasnt a Great man compared to Ghandi or todays Bill Gates, but the man was a visionary, an innovator, and a world class marketer.

One more thing

I grew up with the Apple ][ and the original Macintosh.

RIP Steve Jobs, you helped build an industry, a lifestyle, and the future. May you now be free of physical pain.

CountryWolf07
10-07-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm a APPLE user - so does that make me a snob? I don't think so. Obviously, Steve Jobs wasn't a very nice man, that's okay, I know that. He created something that CHANGED the way we look at the world today. Technology is incredible because of him. he just had the BRAINS to do what he wanted. He went and did it. He had a big vision, he saw it, and created it. He didn't give up. He followed his passion, his love, and look what happens 25 years later down the road. So yes, I admire him for his talent & his innovation ways. :)

Alysser
10-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Um, am I the only one who sees something wrong with this? WHY are you STILL saying all this stuff in a thread honoring the man? I don't think you ever met Steve Jobs personally, so how about you stop jumping to conclusions?

I really don't know why this has to turn to politics once again, this thread isn't about Obama, why is it being discussed.

I have an idea, how about if you hate Steve Jobs so much, you go write your comments on youtube or some other hatred spewing website. I really don't understand why any of this bulls*** even came up.

pomtzu
10-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Um, am I the only one who sees something wrong with this? WHY are you STILL saying all this stuff in a thread honoring the man? I don't think you ever met Steve Jobs personally, so how about you stop jumping to conclusions?

I really don't know why this has to turn to politics once again, this thread isn't about Obama, why is it being discussed.

I have an idea, how about if you hate Steve Jobs so much, you go write your comments on youtube or some other hatred spewing website. I really don't understand why any of this bulls*** even came up.

I do - but I'm just keeping my mouth shut for a change. That being said, I will add just one simple comment and be done with it.

Attn all Morons - this isn't the place to slam a brilliant person, no matter what you think of him personally. Start a new thread in Dog House and be as mean spirited and hateful as you choose to be. This thread was meant to be more along the lines of a memorial. For example - if someone's pet pitt bull dog died and they posted in Dog Memorial of it's passing, would some of you put up a post and say "good - glad it's dead - it's going to Hell because that's what all pitts deserve because they are a menace to society and don't belong on this Earth, etc, etc". Same difference..............:mad:

Bonny
10-07-2011, 07:17 AM
No one is perfect except maybe the person up above. There is the good, the bad, & the ugly. Mr. Jobs is all three even got fired from his job. I like how he hung in there found something else to do that was just as creative & came back kicking. You run into all kinds of people in your life but he did make a big difference for all of us. Watch you back side Mr. Jobs. ;)

Roxyluvsme13
10-07-2011, 07:28 AM

No one is perfect except maybe the person up above. There is the good, the bad, & the ugly. Mr. Jobs is all three even got fired from his job. I like how he hung in there found something else to do that was just as creative & came back kicking. You run into all kinds of people in your life but he did make a big difference for all of us. Watch you back side Mr. Jobs. ;)

Agree with both of you on most points.

RICHARD
10-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm a profession Luddite and can barely put up with technology at times.

I cannot tell you how many meetings I attended where someone would pull out the 'latest' new machine before the meeting and ended up waiting for the imprompt training session - usually the first 20-30 minutes of the meeting - where the techheads would teach each other how to cut and paste, reroute, configure and set up their cellphones/Crackberrys - to end so we could get on with the task at hand?

I had to wait for my boss to answer all the questions and give the pros and cons about the 'rollup keyboard and stand' to her PDA. (This happened at every meeting because she was the 'pro' - the big boss spent thousands of dollars buyin her the best and latest tech - and all that tech ended up in her car on her last day of work....)

I had to fight to get money for equipment and hours to make my job easier when the budget was being spent on purchases to allow my bosses to work from home or be off site and get a phone call?

Back in the early to late 80's (VHS vs Beta sound familiar?) I had to endure the Apple Vs. MS wars when a media 'swap' wasn't so user friendly.

And what is it with people camping out for days to get the latest Apple product?

I did spend the night in sleeping in a Sears parking lot waiting to get David Bowie tickets - that pretty much let me know that there is shiat on the planet that I really don't need to see or have AT THAT MOMENT.

----------------------------

Now, do not get me wrong, I love FreeCell, Email and Pet Talk.

I do love my home page and the ability to look up facts/trivia/information that has me baffled, bamboozled and just plain curious.....

But, in the early 90's I was being sold an idea that 'in the next few years' a doctor will be able to walk around with a Note Pad and do all his charting, order labs, prescriptions, look up EKGs, X-rays and the results of any scans or tests they ordered.

During a recent hospital stay I was secretly pleased to see a doctor reach into their pocket and pull out a paper and pen and make a few notes to themselves.

Steve Jobs, the Woz and all the people who have pioneered computers, operating systems and applications have paved the way for us to dream.

We all dream about the machine or app that will make our lives easier. But we are going to have to put up with people walking into poles or getting run over because they are not paying attention to the world around them.

Companies will have to put up with lost productivity - Who doesn't want to peek in on their pets via the internet while they are at work? Check on the balance of their internet poker pot or shop at Overstock.com because someone sent them an email about the three day sale?

The day when the words "the computer is down, can you wait while I try to get it working?" become obsolete will be the day to celebrate.

The guy that fixes that problem should have a shrine built in their honor.;)

caseysmom
10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Wow this has gotten off track.

smokey the elder
10-07-2011, 11:03 AM
ANYWAY, back to the late Mr. Jobs. While I'm not an Apple user, I do admire what he did, warts and all, for the computer industry and the animated motion picture industry (Pixar.) I do agree that Apple created competition, very fierce competition, that ended up benefitting more people. Do I agree with non-replaceable batteries? Heck no, but people do have choices what to buy, after all. He believed quality sells, and the market bore this out.

(JMO):)

RICHARD
10-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I love discourse, especially when it's done respectfully.

blue
10-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm a APPLE user - so does that make me a snob? I don't think so.

If you have to ask you may be. :)

Obviously, Steve Jobs wasn't a very nice man, that's okay, I know that. He created something that CHANGED the way we look at the world today. Technology is incredible because of him. he just had the BRAINS to do what he wanted. He went and did it. He had a big vision, he saw it, and created it. He didn't give up. He followed his passion, his love, and look what happens 25 years later down the road. So yes, I admire him for his talent & his innovation ways. :)

What did he create? He co-founded Apple but what did he create? He had ideas and he paid others to make those ideas reality. In the beginning he used his personality to make those ideas happen, later he had money to make those ideas reality. Woz made the first Apple and the Apple ][, Bill Gates put Basic on it. Xerox gave us the GUI and the mouse through Steve Jobs.

His marketing was Insanely Great. He created users who would pay a premium for his products and created a consumer lifestyle based on what he was selling. These ideas and marketing pushed the Open Source movement to what it is today and for that I do indeed and humbly honor him for his unintended consequence. His ideas and marketing also pushed Winslow to the heights they currently enjoy.

Microsoft had a Killer App and took over the market. Does Mac even have a Killer App outside of itself? Mac still needs MS Office to be relevant in the main stream business world. Yet Mac is still relevant because of Jobs marketing, and I hope his legacy at Apple lives on because a world where M$ has no rival is a world where. Chit I dont know but have you looked at the Windows 8 Preview? Things would truly suck if Windose was the only option, I would use Winblows over OSX however.

His leadership style and personality are widely known, he was not a nice guy.

Nobody has made this political other then you, in this case Obama is a consumer and that is what he is. He is or was a crackberry addict, and probably used pirated Microsloth software when he was a community organizer. Yes that is an unfounded statement but it still isnt political.

I may not like Jobs, and I despise Apple products, but I respect the man because the company he co-founded has pushed itself, Microshizzle, and the FOSS movement far beyond where it would be without Apple.

I grew up with the Apple ][ and the original Macintosh.

RIP Steve Jobs, you helped build an industry, a lifestyle, and the future. May you now be free of physical pain.

wombat2u2004
10-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Attn all Morons - this isn't the place to slam a brilliant person, no matter what you think of him personally. Start a new thread in Dog House and be as mean spirited and hateful as you choose to be. This thread was meant to be more along the lines of a memorial. For example - if someone's pet pitt bull dog died and they posted in Dog Memorial of it's passing, would some of you put up a post and say "good - glad it's dead - it's going to Hell because that's what all pitts deserve because they are a menace to society and don't belong on this Earth, etc, etc". Same difference..............:mad:

Hey !!! Are you having a shot at me ???
I'm the only moron here. I know it, you know it, and all of PT know it.
I reserve the right to maintain the title of "PT Moron", nobody else deserves it. :D

blue
10-07-2011, 11:41 PM

I can only hope you arent including me with the broad insult you delivered. There is plenty of hatred on this board, and I see only two example in this thread.

pomtzu
10-08-2011, 06:47 AM
I can only hope you arent including me with the broad insult you delivered. There is plenty of hatred on this board, and I see only two example in this thread.

If the shoe fits.............
This was meant as a general statement to anyone (current and future posts) that cares to bash a person who is no longer here and able to defend himself.

Hey !!! Are you having a shot at me ???
I'm the only moron here. I know it, you know it, and all of PT know it.
I reserve the right to maintain the title of "PT Moron", nobody else deserves it. :D

No Wom - thre are only 2 official PT Morons (names withheld), and you aren't one of them. You're PT Goofball. :p

Roxyluvsme13
10-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Can we please just stop arguing over how good/bad of a man Steve Jobs was? This thread wasn't intended to argue about him. We're honoring a man that died. Doesn't matter what you thought of him. Just be sad that he's gone. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it at all.

wombat2u2004
10-08-2011, 06:43 PM

No Wom - thre are only 2 official PT Morons (names withheld), and you aren't one of them. You're PT Goofball. :p

Well that's a pie in the face !!!!
I've always wanted to be the main PT moron, and now you're saying I can't be.
I have rights you know !!!! :p

blue
10-08-2011, 10:49 PM

Fair enough. They are mighty bigs shoes to fill, good thing I have big feet.

This was meant as a general statement to anyone (current and future posts) that cares to bash a person who is no longer here and able to defend himself.

Can we please just stop arguing over how good/bad of a man Steve Jobs was? This thread wasn't intended to argue about him. We're honoring a man that died. Doesn't matter what you thought of him. Just be sad that he's gone. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it at all.

I have been quite fair to Mr Jobs and honored his actual accomplishments. The world of technology has lost a great influence.

DriftyAlison0
10-08-2011, 11:01 PM

You are so wrong. Sure he had his faults (who doesn't) but what he did was just amazing. In my religion where you go when you die all depends on if you trusted Jesus Christ as your savior. It doesn't matter what you did in the world, just matters if you trust Jesus Christ as your savior.

And just because you didn't hear it in the media or on tv, doesn't mean that he didn't do charity work. Learn to get your facts straight before slamming someone for doing something that they didn't do. Or like you did, slam him for something you claim that he didn't do, but from what I know, that he did.

Oh and just a person is rich doesn't mean they have to put some money into charity. If they don't, it doesn't make them a heartless person. And it doesn't mean that they are going to hell neither.

K9soul
10-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I do not believe he was a particularly kind person but he was definitely passionate about his work. I'm sure he suffered a great deal with his illness. He definitely left his mark in the world and I hope he is at peace. His family and friends are in my thoughts.

blue
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/page/3257.jpg

Too soon?

phesina
10-15-2011, 06:42 AM
A true giant of the computer world has just passed away: Dennis Ritchie, the principal designer of the C programming language and co-developer of the Unix operating system.

As my friend Vince said, "With all the ink and pixels spent on St. Steven of Cupertino recently, it would be unconscionable to let the passing of another computer giant go unremarked. That one was a household name and the the other quite unknown is reflected in the simple observation that one was a mathematician and the other a salesman."

Rest in peace, Mr. Ritchie.

Obituary: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/technology/dennis-ritchie-programming-trailblazer-dies-at-70.htm?_r=1