PDA

View Full Version : A nice little win..........

wombat2u2004
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Command at Sea Badge
I've been looking for a used original one of these for a while. There are plenty of new ones around...but I like the used ones. :D
I got this little fella for 4 bucks.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/40/dd1f30ff06327546da04811d7f7cc8df.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/864540)

The Command at Sea insignia is a highly regarded military badge of the United States Navy. It designates senior officers below flag rank (captain and below) who have commanded either a ship or operational fleet air unit. It is worn over the right pocket while holding the command at sea billet (incumbent), and on the left pocket (under warfare insignia) after successful completion of the tour (post tour; COs who are detached for cause do not rate this privilege). A similar badge that is worn in the same manner is the Command Ashore insignia.

The six stars represent the first six ships of the United States Navy:
USS United States, USS Constellation, USS Constitution, USS President, USS Congress, and USS Chesapeake
MARKED ON THE BACK, 'V-21-N'.

Karen
10-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Cool, congrats!

Scooter's Mom
10-01-2011, 05:19 AM
That is cool. Thanks for a history/military lesson too! I am ashamed that I do not know some of this already.

happylabs
10-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Wom...how do you display all of these things?

phesina
10-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Wow! That's a beauty.

wombat2u2004
10-01-2011, 11:23 PM
That is cool. Thanks for a history/military lesson too! I am ashamed that I do not know some of this already.

There's so much we ALL don't know. I've been collecting for years, and every day I learn something new. ;)

wombat2u2004
10-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Wom...how do you display all of these things?

Well I'll tell ya.
At the moment, my very vast collection is only about 75% fully identified and recorded.....spending approx $500 a month ensures an almost constant flow of new items into my mailbox....it gets put into plastic shoe boxes according to country/war etc etc.........and then one day, when I finish renovating my office, it will all be mounted on boards and hung on the walls. My only fear is that I will not have enough wall space in my office, because I also collect antiquarian books which will take up a great deal of space in the bookshelves I am about to construct, and also my collection of paintings done by past relatives over the last 150 years is growing, and I'll need space for those to.
So....what I really need is museum space.....hee hee.
But not to worry, when I finish renovating and get all of this stuff up, I'll take some pics for you all and post them.

happylabs
10-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Well I'll tell ya.
At the moment, my very vast collection is only about 75% fully identified and recorded.....spending approx $500 a month ensures an almost constant flow of new items into my mailbox....it gets put into plastic shoe boxes according to country/war etc etc.........and then one day, when I finish renovating my office, it will all be mounted on boards and hung on the walls. My only fear is that I will not have enough wall space in my office, because I also collect antiquarian books which will take up a great deal of space in the bookshelves I am about to construct, and also my collection of paintings done by past relatives over the last 150 years is growing, and I'll need space for those to.
So....what I really need is museum space.....hee hee.
But not to worry, when I finish renovating and get all of this stuff up, I'll take some pics for you all and post them.

You better hurry up and get that office done. You might have to build on a new wing to your house as well. :D

wombat2u2004
10-02-2011, 08:01 AM
You better hurry up and get that office done. You might have to build on a new wing to your house as well. :D

That's not out of the question either. I'm being pressured to either go up or out. It's disgusting. There are 3 of us living in a 5 bedroom house....and we still have no room for visitors....LOLOLOL. And that doesn't include the plan for a separate art studio they both want.
I think I'll just build myself a little corner where I can live.....hee hee.

Lady's Human
10-02-2011, 08:08 AM
It amazes me that the US Navy still admits to the Chessie.......

Freedom
10-02-2011, 09:03 AM
What an interesting find! Thanks for sharing with us.

wombat2u2004
10-02-2011, 09:45 AM
It amazes me that the US Navy still admits to the Chessie.......

When all ya got is seaweed to smoke, then I guess you'll admit to anything :D

lute
10-02-2011, 10:53 AM
That is so neat!

Bonny
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Wom, You could write a book with information on the medals right along with pictures. I bet it would sell.

wombat2u2004
10-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Wom, You could write a book with information on the medals right along with pictures. I bet it would sell.

I'm writing a book at the moment called "Harry Potter". I think that'll sell :D

happylabs
10-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm writing a book at the moment called "Harry Potter". I think that'll sell :D

You should write one called: What about Wom?

wombat2u2004
10-04-2011, 07:15 AM
You should write one called: What about Wom?

I already have. And have been in hiding ever since :p:p

cassiesmom
10-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Wow, Wom! Another interesting win for your collection and another historical lesson for me! Do you have the Command Ashore pin in your collection?

Somewhere on PT there is a thread with pictures and text describing many pieces from Wom's collection. I'm still hoping for a book in the future.

wombat2u2004
10-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Wow, Wom! Another interesting win for your collection and another historical lesson for me! Do you have the Command Ashore pin in your collection?

Somewhere on PT there is a thread with pictures and text describing many pieces from Wom's collection. I'm still hoping for a book in the future.

No, not yet Elysse........I'm keeping my eye out for one. There's plenty of new ones around, but i'd like a used one.