PDA

View Full Version : Soft paws or nail trim

Sowa
09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
I've been reading a lot of old posts about soft paws and trimming nails. It seems a lot of people just trim the nail instead of soft paws?

Some of you may know I'm hoping to get a kitten within the next few months. I want to be prepared for what I'm going to do to stop its scratching. I honestly don't like the look of soft paws but will use them if necessary. I don't understand how just trimming the nails will keep them from scratching though. Won't they still be able to shred stuff even with a shorter nail?

I'd much prefer trimming to soft paws if it works. I already have a huge scratching post but I plan to get another one. I've just heard people can have a ton of scratching posts and they still can't get the cat to stop scratching the furniture. I really don't have the money to replace all my stuff.

Freedom
09-29-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't use soft paws, I just trim. It is a Saturday morning chore. Very easy to do. I have a set of these:
http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming/Grooming-Tools/Nail-Care/Master-Grooming-Tools-Small-Pet-Nail-Scissors/pc/190/c/214/sc/501/44495.uts

Cat nails are quite easy, unlike dog nails. I sit in a recliner (any upholstered chair will work) and hold the cat on my left side, wedged in between me and the arm of the chair. Snip, snip, all done! TREAT and off kitty goes.

I'm right handed; if you are left handed, you will want the cat on your right.

I have scratching posts. Periodically I will rub some catnip on them. If the cats go for furniture (a newbie in the house might), get a spray bottle. Put in equal parts white vinegar and water, and spray where the cat has been scratching. The mixture is weak enough that you won't smell it. Strong enough that the cat will. The white vinegar is what deters the cat. AT the same time, the catnip attracts the cat to the posts.

BTW, I don't recommend those short posts, they are a waste. Cats want to be able to stand and stretch out their entire body, so get a tall one or two!

katladyd
09-29-2011, 11:44 PM
I don't trim or use Soft Paws. My kitties use all the scratching posts in the house (tall and short, I have lots of them) and that seems to do the trick. The water and amonia thing does work for keeping them from scratching the furniture.

happylabs
09-29-2011, 11:56 PM
I trim the nails when I can get them to hold still. Mama cat religiously uses her scratchy box.

A cat's nail is sharp and pointy. When you trim the pointy part off of he end, they can scratch but it doesn't do as much damage.

You can train them to not scratch furniture and carpets. My brother has successfully done this with his cat Max. When Max was a young cat my brother would take him to the scratching post and show him what to do with his paws, actually go through the motion.

Hope this helps.

Taz_Zoee
09-29-2011, 11:56 PM
We trim nails. And there are some items of furniture that Jax took a liking to and began to scratch on. I got some double sided sticky papers at the pet store (I can't remember exactly what they are called) and placed those on the corners of the items he was shredding. Works like a charm! And the sheets are clear so they aren't that noticable.
Luckily these are the only items he was scratching. He tends to scratch on the carpet as well. But since we keep his nails trimmed the carpet is just fine.

Keep in mind, cats have different preferences of how they like to scratch. My Taz was a horizontal scratcher. I have a carpet in the bedroom that he always used. Jax is actually both, horizontal and vertical. He does the carpet and the sides of the speakers. Paizly is mostly vertical. I have two cat trees and two posts (one tall and one short) that she prefers to use.

They do sell some scratching things that accomodate both ways. We sell one at the shelter I volunteer with. So getting one that would work both ways, at least until you know what the cat prefers, would be a good idea.

Also, for the trimming of the nails, start doing it early on so the kitten gets used to it. I could do Taz's nails all by myself without a problem. The two I currently have are a different story. My boyfriend has to hold/scruff them for me while I trim.

They also sell those scratchers that are supposed to file down the cats nails when they scratch on them. Not sure if those really work or not. Anyone have any experience with these?

Good luck! :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-30-2011, 12:46 AM
I only trim nails probably about once amonth or so. I found that toe nail clippers work great. I have large cat trees that have scratching posts, and both vertical and horizontal smaller scratching posts too. They use all of them. Sometimes Ziggy and Sky will start scratching my carpet so I have to tell them no. I also put covers on my couch and recliner so if they decide to scratch those they can't really do any damage.

Some cats are very easy when it comes to nail trims. Pearl is actually my easiest cat. Sky and Ziggy are my most difficult and I have to put a muzzle on Sky or else he'll bite me. Good luck.:)

happylabs
09-30-2011, 06:30 AM
We trim nails. And there are some items of furniture that Jax took a liking to and began to scratch on. I got some double sided sticky papers at the pet store (I can't remember exactly what they are called) and placed those on the corners of the items he was shredding. Works like a charm! And the sheets are clear so they aren't that noticable.
Luckily these are the only items he was scratching. He tends to scratch on the carpet as well. But since we keep his nails trimmed the carpet is just fine.

Keep in mind, cats have different preferences of how they like to scratch. My Taz was a horizontal scratcher. I have a carpet in the bedroom that he always used. Jax is actually both, horizontal and vertical. He does the carpet and the sides of the speakers. Paizly is mostly vertical. I have two cat trees and two posts (one tall and one short) that she prefers to use.

They do sell some scratching things that accomodate both ways. We sell one at the shelter I volunteer with. So getting one that would work both ways, at least until you know what the cat prefers, would be a good idea.

Also, for the trimming of the nails, start doing it early on so the kitten gets used to it. I could do Taz's nails all by myself without a problem. The two I currently have are a different story. My boyfriend has to hold/scruff them for me while I trim.

They also sell those scratchers that are supposed to file down the cats nails when they scratch on them. Not sure if those really work or not. Anyone have any experience with these?

Excellent advice on getting them used to it when they are kittens. I cannot do Mama's nails. She will NOT allow it. Luckily she loves her cardboard scratchy thing and does not scratch anything else.

I have one of those Emery Cat nail scratcher things. The cats never really got onto using it but I have left it in the one corner of my living room hoping that some day they will come to love it. :D

Buddy is really bad. I won't get into it. :p

catnapper
09-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Trimming is soooo much easier. By the time you grab a soft paw, squeeze in glue, place on nail.... you could have had all the nails trimmed on one paw.

The sooner you start trimming, the faster they get used to it. They also learn after a while that struggling only makes the whole procedure harder. They learn to sit still and just let you trim. Even my Divas will sit quietly on nail trims because they noticed its a lot easier if they just sit still.

catmandu
09-30-2011, 09:40 AM
:love::love:
I dont think that I could put these on My Cats , except My Josephine of many names ^^ and Tubster Panther ^^.:love::love::love:

aTailOf2Kitties
09-30-2011, 09:50 AM
My guys :love: their scratching posts once I found the kind of carpet they preferred. I don't have problems with them scratching on the furniture but I still trim their claws every month or so. I can trim Toby's if he's already relaxing in my lap and I go slow. Havoc acts like you're lopping off his toes with a chainsaw, but his nails grow funny anyway. They seem sensitive, so I only trim them when they get really long.

Toby bites his nails, another reason I can't do soft paws on him. Anybody else have a cat that does that?

maid25cats
09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
I had the emery cat scratcher also
I had 4 cats at the time none of them would use it.
The old man would lay on it. I kept it for a few months and gave it to a friend.
She has 4 cats. she said one uses it and he only likes the corners :)
She said she thinks it makes his claws sharper !
That double sided tape works. not on wood without ruining it unfortunately
My one little brat claws everything
headboard footboard side wood railing on bed frame
dinning room chairs ,speakers.the rug
I yell I squirt she doesn't care she waits till I start running across the room to get her before she stops/ runs.then when I sit back down she goes back and does it again just so she gets the last word...
she only lets me cut her nails if shes in a deep sleep,after a few clips she wake up and takes off. never get them all and I started trimming since she was a kitten
The old man tries to bite me.I have to wait till hes asleep clip one and move my hand away quick before I get bit and scratched.
The others will not ever let me pet their paws
They have 4 extra wide cardboard scratchers ,2 6ft towers
2 of those flat sisal pads, my Angel/Devil still prefers something to get mommy's attention
I also had one of those short scratchier, they didn't use it

Randi
09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I clip Fister's nails about every week/10 days, but I could not have done it when he was younger. Couldn't even get hold of him and lift him. Now, I do it by leaning over him from behind, have treats ready beside and start by giving him kisses on top of his head and massaging his paws - he likes that. :) If you put your knees close to his body, then he won't be able to run off.

I bought the scissors at the vet, he said it's the same he uses, and they are cheap.

Taz_Zoee
09-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Toby bites his nails, another reason I can't do soft paws on him. Anybody else have a cat that does that?

My RB kitty, Taz, bit his nails. It creeped me out!! I'd tell him to stop it! LOL
Boy, I miss that now. :(

Paizly sucks her toes sometimes. LOL

snakemama
10-06-2011, 01:12 AM
I want to clarify an important point here...you do NOT stop a cat from scratching! It's a natural behavior an they need to do it. You can make sure they scratch in designated areasm so they don't damage your carpet or furniture, but stopping a cat from scratching is akin to stopping a dog from sniffing.

We do nail trims here. Charlie in particular tends to get her claws snagged in the carpet if I don't keep hers trimmed. Nothing like a kitty halfway down the stairs crying because her foot is stuck to break your heart.

AvaJoy
10-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I want to clarify an important point here...you do NOT stop a cat from scratching! It's a natural behavior an they need to do it. You can make sure they scratch in designated areasm so they don't damage your carpet or furniture, but stopping a cat from scratching is akin to stopping a dog from sniffing.

So glad this point was made!:)

I never tried soft claws, and don't trim with any regularity. My cats have many scratch posts/boards of different mediums. Cat trees with natural wood posts, carpet covered, sisal covered, cardboard slanted boards, heavy duty cat scratch rugs, etc. It is important to offer a variety of textures and styles as cats have individual preferences.

When you trim just be careful not to cut too low into the pink. Just clip off the sharp tip. This blunts the nail so it is dull rather than sharp, as mentioned in a previous post.

Have fun with you new kitty!:)