PDA

View Full Version : Cupcake & Poptart

lute
09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
I know I just kinda pop in every few months. I've not been an avid PTer as of late. I thought I'd stop by and post some pics of my Chipoo babies, Cupcake and Poptart.

I posted pics of Cupcake, my Chipoo puppy earlier this year.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/6931zh6vidx.jpg

This is my messy haired lady now. She will be 1 on Nov. 23rd!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/C360_2011-08-2217-19-14_org.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/C360_2011-08-2215-46-41_org-1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/C360_2011-08-2419-01-03.jpg

What is that in the background?...

It's Poptart! He is the icing on our cake! Cupcake loves him!...she'd like to love him to death sometimes.:rolleyes: His birthday is March 10th.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/C360_2011-08-2419-02-20.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/C360_2011-08-2419-01-21_org.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/IMG_20110627_125858.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/IMG_20110616_180743.jpg

Cupcake and Poptart are funny little goofballs. Cupcake weighs 4lbs. Poptart weighs 3lbs and is the boss of us all. Or so he thinks.lol Even at nearly 7 months old he still acts like a puppy. I live in Pensacola, FL now as well. I love grooming these little guys! I have done plenty of my personal protests against designer dogs on PT over the years. Now an owner of two designer dogs(Chihuahua/Toy Poodle cross) I believe that if you do all your health clearances and keep your records properly hybrid dogs aren't all bad. With that I will also say that I do not agree with nearly ALL designer dog breeders. The purebreds we have today were all mixed breeds at one time. If someone wants to breed, say a Afghan/Poodle cross to another Afghan/Poodle cross, keep proper records, do their genetic tests, etc to maybe someday create a healthy purebred dog is just a responsible breeder than the Basset Hound breeder that has shown at Westminster.

I know several PTers will totally disagree with me. I went ahead and posted my personal thoughts on designer dogs to prevent any quarrels in the future.;)

I know I say it every time, but I hope to be on here more often, time permitting!

anna_66
09-26-2011, 08:34 PM
LOVE THEM! They are both absolutely adorable:love:

Sowa
09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Adorable :) I love their names :)

cloverfdx
09-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Thankyou for supporting backyard breeders, and giving them more incentive to breed more pound fodder.

lute
09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Thankyou for supporting backyard breeders, and giving them more incentive to breed more pound fodder.

I don't support BYB. I support reputable breeders with a goal. I know several of you disagree with breeders of any sort. That's why I stated my beliefs on the issue.

lute
09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Thank you Anna and Sowa!

Roxyluvsme13
09-27-2011, 11:24 AM
They are too cute :).

pomtzu
09-27-2011, 12:38 PM
They are both adorable - such cute names too. I think I'm in love. :love::love:

IRescue452
09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
They certainly are cute. Love the hair.

The thing about breeding a new purebred is that you're supposed to go out past the 20th generation without ever breeding back to an original pure breed. Anytime a dog is entered into the bloodline it has to be as many generations outcrossed as the rest of them or you'll be taking a step back. Also if you start losing a desirable trait like curly hair after 7 generations and want to breed back to a poodle then you've crossed back to an original and those puppies will then be only 1 generation out. Making a pure breed can take hundreds of dogs and decades of work. Most BYBs just breed out 1-2 generations and thats it. They have no interest in doing the rest of the work.

luvofallhorses
09-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Honestly, I do not think breeding designer dogs is classified as "responsible" breeding as the fad has gotten OLD and most of those dogs end up in shelters and pet stores, and these dogs are being bred in puppy mills.

Dogs who are bred purposely that are mixes as in working dog mixes is fine by me as long as their dogs aren't ending up in shelters and they actually have a purpose to work. Designer dogs do not, I don't care how you look at it.

I would NEVER support a designer dog breeder, what makes those breeder so special? Because their dogs ARE ending up in shelters, pet stores, and puppy mills. If I wanted a designer breed, which I don't..

I would go to a shelter. Some of these mixes have horrible health problems as well. Your dogs are cute.. glad you enjoy them but do not expect people to agree with your opinion on designer breeders being ok because I certainly don't because I work at a shelter and see many of these dogs being given up. I would rather go to a shelter than put money in pockets of a BYB.

lute
09-27-2011, 03:21 PM
luvofallhorses, I agree with you, but when it comes to breeders' dogs ending up in shelters. ANY breeder can breed a dog that by some series of events ends up in a shelter. I agree with working dogs too, but if I were personally looking for a working dog, I would look at shelter first. There are such a huge amount of coon dogs, herding, water and field dogs in shelters that have an even slimmer chance than the smaller dogs. Not saying I agree with small dogs in shelters. Too many of them get euth as well.

Like I said before, I do NOT agree with MOST of the designer breeders. Even the woman that is striving to make the Shorkie a breed. I personally feel she's doing it all wrong. Profit is a motive. I know it takes several years to create a purebred. Not many people have the time, money or mind to do so...properly.

I'm glad you all like my lil pastries!:D

pomtzu
09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm glad you all like my lil pastries!:D

I'll take a half dozen Cupcakes and a box of Poptarts, please! :D

lvpets2002
09-27-2011, 04:27 PM
:love: Thunk = I just pass out from All of This Cuteness.. These two are just So Sweet & Such Cutie Pies.. Great pics thanks

Alysser
09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I am not really going to get into the whole argument, however I mostly agree with Krista on the issue.

However, I think there's a time and place to discuss this and this is not the thread. The dogs are bought, these two aren't going to end up in a shelter, she already has them - that's the end of it. She simply posted her opinion because she felt it would turn into "that kind of thread".

Also, as an owner of a "designer dog", although I didn't get him from a breeder, I wouldn't like people posting nasty things in a picture thread of my beloved dogs. I'm sorry, that's just plain rude. I've gotten crap for him being a pug/beagle mix before from people who think they know everything and it annoys me, because frankly these people don't even listen when I tell them where I GOT him from and how I saved him from going to a shelter.

Anyway, lute, very cute pups! I love the name Poptart :D The first pic reminds me of Sassy!

lute
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the nice words, Alysser. When I first got Cupcake I thought she looked like your RB Sassy!

Pomtzu & lvpets2002, I'm so glad you like them! My next Chipoo name is Cannoli.

My mother had a Pomeranian named Beanie. Some of you probably remember him! Beanie is still kickin! Living with my mother in Indiana. He's 14 now! Arthritis and cataracts is all he's dealing with. Just a sweet old man.:D

dab_20
09-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Gotta agree with Alyssa on this one. I may disagree with your opinion Lute, but this isn't the place to debate over it.

Cupcake and Poptart are very cute! Now that I see them, I'm starting to think Molli's mom was a Chihuahua/poodle cross. We never knew what the mom was but she looks A LOT like your two. (I got Molli from a friend's accidental litter when I was 12)
This is her mom:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb124/danielleab_20/285169_237892886241198_100000614663592_794455_3382 889_n.jpg
(She's pretty old now)

lute
09-28-2011, 09:23 AM
What a pretty girl! She does look kinda like a Chihuahua/Poodle cross!

luvofallhorses
09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Actually lute brought it up, that's why I brought up my thoughts. I wouldn't have said anything if she didn't bring it up. ;)

wolf_Q
09-28-2011, 05:39 PM
They are very cute and I love the names too! I'm not going to say anything about you buying a designer dog I've purchased dogs too but I don't understand you trying to justify the breeder in creating these designer dogs. I don't understand trying to create a new breed of dog unless it serves a real purpose like for a working reason, especially not when there's millions of dogs put to sleep each year just in the U.S. The purpose of a chihuahua/poodle cross is a cute lap dog I think we have plenty of breeds already that fulfill that job. Not trying to be mean I really do think the pups are cute and I'm not going to bash you for buying them I just don't see any reason to justify breeding them even if they are healthy parents, I don't think "cute" qualifies as a reason to breed. That goes for a lot of purebred dogs that are bred as well, just because your dog is cute and healthy doesn't mean it needs to create puppies.

lute
09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Thank you wolf_Q!

beeniesmom
10-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Cupcake and Poptart are adorable and I can't wait to meet them!

lute
10-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Cupcake and Poptart are adorable and I can't wait to meet them!

Thanks! They can't wait to meet you either! Looking forward to visiting your side of the coast!

k9krazee
10-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I love their names!!!!!!!!

I have recently fallen for a coworker's "morkie". Quid. He is the CUTEST dog in the entire world. But, I don't agree with breeding cute mixes for the sole purpose of being a cute mix.

I would, however, probably go to a breeder that has a cute mix, does health testing, sells puppies on a s/n contract, only has a few dogs in the house, only breeds sparingly and the breeder is willing to take the dog back should anything happen.

Now that we know where I stand on the issue...I think your dogs are adorable, I just hope there won't be popcake/cuptart puppies in the future ;)

buttercup132
11-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Wow from someone who used to "rescue" dogs to now supporting byber's...what a wrong turn..

Clearly you like to poodle cut since you attempted to put your one in a continental cut so why not just get a poodle?

The reason why legit people breed mutts is for a better working dog.
Whats the purpose of these dogs besides being pets?
I dont care how much testing your breeder has done there is still not a standard to breed to, there is no way to prove any of the mutts are worthy of breeding.

lute
12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow from someone who used to "rescue" dogs to now supporting byber's...what a wrong turn..

Clearly you like to poodle cut since you attempted to put your one in a continental cut so why not just get a poodle?

I dont care how much testing your breeder has done there is still not a standard to breed to, there is no way to prove any of the mutts are worthy of breeding.

I'm really sorry you feel this way. You are being very rude! Just because your opinion makes total sense to you, but not to me, doesn't make you right and me wrong.Haha
Nope, there is no breed standard as of yet, but whose to say I won't be the one to create this breed standard? Also, Who are you to poke fun at my grooming?

This is my LAST post here on PT. I've been here for many years! The vibe here has changed. I've been only nice to EVERYONE here and got to know a few of you personally. This WAS a great, fun, informative place. Now it is a non-regulated rescue only site, with VERY judgmental people. I no longer want to be associated with this forum.

Karen, Just an FYI, I'm not the ONLY long time member leaving because of what the forum has become. It's a shame.:(

No replies necessary. They won't be read.

happylabs
12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I am not sure I completely understand all of the negativity here regarding these dogs. I realize there are a lot of dogs out there in shelters that need homes but seriously, this is a free country. If someone wants to buy a "designer dog", it is their business. Why is this such a bad thing?

I have thought about getting a Labradoodle at some point in my life when I can stay home more and spend more time with it. Am I going to be bad mouthed out of here if I do it?

Karen
12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I think, happylabs, that there are plenty of Labradoodles available in rescue, and as long as you are responsible in choosing your pet's source, no one will have a problem with it.

luvofallhorses
12-01-2011, 02:03 PM
It is actually Lab/Poodle. ;) I don't like all the cutesy names for dogs that are a mixed breed. Especially Schnoodle bothers me! There are a ton of Lab/Poodle mixes in rescue, so do not buy one. And actually it does bother me people go out and buy a mixed breed from a known Backyard Breeder (BYB) or pet store when they can find them in a shelter. :) And this is coming from a shelter worker. In my area, we don't see a lot of Lab/Poodle mixes, but they are more popular in the south I do think and I am not in the south. Standard Poodles aren't common here but Labs so are.

Alysser
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM

This is a rather old post, so why you even chose to respond now is beyond me. The fact that you even said "what's the purpose of these dogs besides being pets" is beyond ignorant, rude, and hypocritical. What purposes do your chinese crested serve now besides being a pet? I really don't get that one. I am against the breeding of mutts and all that, but when you're slamming someone who takes brilliant care of her dogs it bothers me. Frankly, she already has the animals, this post is old, and you didn't need to be so darn rude about it. There are alot nicer ways to express your opinion about something. Not to mention, when you're trying to educate someone or change their mind about something being nasty doesn't ever help. EVER.

Happylabs, it's the fact that people breed mutts for money that people have an issue with. There are plenty of mutts in shelters and rescues who need homes. Rather then spend $600 + on a mutt, it's a better option to adopt or rescue rather then add to the population.

happylabs
12-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Happylabs, it's the fact that people breed mutts for money that people have an issue with. There are plenty of mutts in shelters and rescues who need homes. Rather then spend $600 + on a mutt, it's a better option to adopt or rescue rather then add to the population.

Well, I won't be spending $600 on a dog anyway. I don't have that kind of money.

Alysser
12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Well, I won't be spending $600 on a dog anyway. I don't have that kind of money.

I was just saying $600, because I know that's what Mikey's old owner paid for him in the pet store, which is crazy to me. I doubt I'd spend that much on any dog, let alone a mutt, when you can get one for much less at a shelter :) Shelter dogs range from $150-$300 depending on where you go, how old they are, etc. Puppies are usually the most expensive. Good luck in your search though! Labradoodles are pretty common now-a-days so if you live in a urban setting you shouldn't have a problem finding a dog.

beeniesmom
12-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Just sad people... really! Lute was just posting pictures of her dogs and the thread turns into a crap slinging contest.

Roxyluvsme13
12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
This is a rather old post, so why you even chose to respond now is beyond me. The fact that you even said "what's the purpose of these dogs besides being pets" is beyond ignorant, rude, and hypocritical. What purposes do your chinese crested serve now besides being a pet? I really don't get that one. I am against the breeding of mutts and all that, but when you're slamming someone who takes brilliant care of her dogs it bothers me. Frankly, she already has the animals, this post is old, and you didn't need to be so darn rude about it. There are alot nicer ways to express your opinion about something. Not to mention, when you're trying to educate someone or change their mind about something being nasty doesn't ever help. EVER.

100% agree.

Just sad people... really! Lute was just posting pictures of her dogs and the thread turns into a crap slinging contest.
Also 100% agree.

Lute, I know you won't be seeing this, but I'm sorry some people's rude behavior has made you leave PT.

I think your dogs are beautiful and I'm sorry you're getting crap about them over absolutely nothing.

kaycountrygal
12-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Lute, I also think your dogs are adorable. I can see why you love them and wanted to show them to us. Thanks for photos.