PDA

View Full Version : College Update

Alysser
09-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, I've been going to college for over 3 weeks now which seems pretty strange.

I like it enough. It's better then high school. I have way more freedom to do what I want and study what I want. I'm not babied, which I LOVE. I'm not told what to do, when to breathe..love the less strict rules. The workload isn't unexpected. I knew it was gonna be rough, but I am doing pretty well for myself. I got an 86 on a math quiz, which is something I am proud of 'cause I SUCK at math and as a BIO major that's gonna be a big hurdle for me. I also got an A on a history quiz. I am ahead of all my class-mates in work, as I have a sister to help me organize myself. She's been beyond helpful and I cannot thank her enough.

I knew what this was going to be like, Junior Year of high school, where I had to work my tail-end off and I broke down at least once a month, literally asked my mom if I could drop out...well you get it. :o Stuff I am embarrassed about now. The other night I was up till 2:30 AM reading and writing stuff for my World Civ class and I began wondering if it really was worth it. 36 pages of reading later..I realized I know people who I DON'T want to end up like in my life, I realized my goals are realistic but only with that degree. I just need to take it day by day.

As for making new friends, I can't really say that's happened yet. I talk to people I don't know that well but I wouldn't say we're friends. I know I need to get more involved, which is alot more difficult because I'm in Community College. But I do plan on doing it...right now I want to work on my grades first.

Karen
09-21-2011, 08:56 PM
You're doing well, and don't worry too much, friendship will come with time. Concentrating on your grades and learning is more important right now!

chocolatepuppy
09-21-2011, 10:25 PM
It sounds like you're off to a good and busy start Alyssa! Hang in there, you'll have lots of friends in time!:D

Roxyluvsme13
09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Woohoo! Still can't believe you're in college :eek:! The friends will come with time :). I didn't meet a lot of my best friends till later on in the year.

caseysmom
09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm proud of you!

*LabLoverKEB*
09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
That's awesome Alyssa! You are definitely doing well! You should be so proud, I know we are all proud of you! :)

beeniesmom
09-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm so proud of you Alyssa. You're so grown up now. Keep up what your doing!

dab_20
09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I know it can be hard when you start. Sometimes now I really struggle with going to school and working thirty hours a week. I'm just SO exhausted! I don't have a social life, except my bf (whom I have only been seeing once a week anyways!).

BUT it is worth it in the end. I enjoy my classes. Especially when you start getting into prerequisites and actually learn what is applicable to the career you're going into. I'm going into nursing and learning all kinds of interesting things in my physiology and nutrition class this semester. I can apply it to my job (I'm a CNA) and it really helps with observing my patients.
I forget what your majoring in? Is it veterinary medicine or?

The only thing I really hate? Chemistry. lol

You'll get used to the workload. Just get through the first semester and you'll realize how fast it really does go!

Alysser
09-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks guys! I hope I make friends soon. :D That'd be fun. I've just signed up for a beach clean-up on the 22nd to get more involved, so hopefully I'll make some friends?;)

As for my major, right now it's Bio, but when I transfer hopefully it'll be either Zoology or Wildlife Ecology and Conservation. There's only one school in the country with both, sooo gotta do good to make it in there! :p

Freedom
09-23-2011, 09:11 AM
You are off to a great start! Three weeks, with so many news things happening, I'm not surprised friendships haven't had time to develop YET. They will.

BTW, I just noticed your siggy, not sure how long you've had it, that is hilarious!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Congratulations on making it through your first 3 weeks! For some reason, I think the beginning of every semester is always the hardest! It sounds like you are doing great.

It sounds like you are going to do some activities to meet people, but maybe you could form a study group for some of your more difficult classes and get to know people that way. I'm still a student (working on my PhD) and have gotten to know people in my program better this way for some of our stats/analysis classes by studying for tests with them. It's always nice to have friends who are going through the same things you are!

Also, about your reading- don't be afraid to skim! Especially if you have a lot of reading to do, sometimes it's just not possible to read every word and actually retain what you read. I usually skim and make notes on important points, it saves time and the notes refresh my memory. (That's my 2 cents from someone who has spent 7 years in college now :)).

I know college is a lot of work, but you will get used to it. Best of luck!!