PDA

View Full Version : Advice on suicidal thoughts & self-harming

JuniorxMyxLove
09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
First off, I'm sorry for completely disappearing from PT for so long! Life has been INSANE for a while, especially with the start of my senior year in high school. I've got loads to tell you all, but that's another thread (or five :p)

Also, I want to say that I do NOT self-harm. When I say it's my friend, I really do mean that it's my friend.

A few nights ago, my friend (we'll call him B) told me that he's struggling with depression. It was a little weird because we've never been super close but I was fine talking to him about it until he told me that he "just really wanted to die right now." I talked to him about it and he told me that he's bipolar and struggles with self-esteem issues.

He then told me that he has a problem with self-harming. I guess he's been cutting for almost a year now, and confided in me because he feels like our group of friends/newspaper staff is the only family he has right now. I was a little scared at this point because I think he must have been feeling really desperate to come to me out of all of our friends. Like I said, we've been friends for a couple years but we've never been really good friends.

BUT ANYWAYS. I didn't know what to do so I just started asking him why he did it, and he said that he has a really low self esteem and cuts when he feels like he's done something wrong or hasn't been good enough. I made him promise to text me the next time he felt the need to cut (at that point he hadn't in about 3 weeks) and I got a text a few hours after I fell asleep (I think you can guess what it said).

Before he told me that he cuts, he made me promise not to tell any of our friends on staff because he didn't want them to look at him differently, which I was fine with. I know there are some pretty judgmental people on staff who would NOT help him out at all. He did tell me that one of our friends, E, knows about this and has for a little while.

But I think it's gotten a lot worse for him lately. First, he started talking to me about it. He's also acting differently in class to the point that a few of the people who are closer to him noticed. He left class at one point yesterday and after I went out after him (I don't know what I thought he was gonna do but I followed him out to make sure he was okay), one of my friends came out trying to figure out what was wrong. I didn't tell her anything because he asked me not to but they all know that he's not okay. And if they notice, it worries me that it's really, really bad.

I talked to E yesterday to let her know that he had cut again and that I was ******** out (I don't know how to handle this!) and she let me know that she had told our newspaper adviser (who is more of a friend/mentor than a teacher) and I think she mentioned having talked to the counselors at school. I'm not sure exactly where she stands with the counselors. Like I said, I've only known for like 3 days and our newspaper is currently imploding on itself (we're fighting the principal about prior review/censorship right now) so we haven't had time to talk alone.

I'm just...confused. And a little scared for him. He knows that he can talk to me whenever he needs to (that first night I was up until 3am texting him) and that I'm not judging him on anything and I'm trying to be as supportive to him as I can, but I don't know what else to do. And he HAS come to me when he's feeling really low - I've started keeping my phone on me at all times and checking it during class in case he sends a text because I really don't want a repeat of that first night, where he needed help and I wasn't responding.

He texted me about 30 minutes ago saying "I just can't deal with these problems anymore." and then didn't respond for about 20 minutes when I texted back asking what was wrong. I'm not even gonna lie...I was really, really scared waiting for that text to come back because he wasn't answering... but he answered and mentioned family problems and he's going to text me when he wakes up from his nap so I guess I'm going to be finding out more about WHY he's doing what he's doing tonight.

I'm really glad that he's told me and he trusts me enough to confide and I want to help him, but I don't know how. I watched my sister unravel a few years ago but she never self-harmed and we were a lot closer so it was easier for me to comfort her.

What do I do the next time he tells me he feels like he needs to cut?! What are alternatives/steps to help him stop/avoid cutting?

One of my/his best friends knows that something's wrong/that he's depressed but she doesn't know about the cutting. She's REALLY worried and respects that I won't tell her what's up but I know she's kind of been monitoring him with me, if that makes sense.

I know that I should go to the counselors about this but I really don't want to betray his trust, y'know? And I think they already know if my friend told them...

I'm honestly at a loss right now. It's stressing me out because I'm constantly worried about him/what he's doing and I haven't been sleeping and the stress is making my migraines worse and I STILL have to worry about the fact that we might end up going to the school board to start a battle that could take YEARS to be resolved and ugh.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, or what I expect to get out of this. But if you guys have any insight on what I can say/do, I'd love to hear it.

I am SO not equipped to handle this. I swear, I have this inability to connect to people's emotions and I have no idea how to comfort him or what to say (other than holy ****) when he's telling me all this.

Welp. Senior year certainly is interesting so far!

pomtzu
09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
It's admirable that you are trying to help him, but surely you must realize that you can't. He is very disturbed and needs professional help before he harms himself further or even takes his own life - or someone else's. You will not be betraying him by telling a school counselor or school nurse, and he will thank you for it one day. These issues are not going to go away by themselves, and the sooner he gets help, then the better chance he has for recovery or management of his mental illness. Yes - he is mentally ill and requires immediate help before it's too late. But you already know that - don't you.....

Catty1
09-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Thank goodness he does have you to talk to!

But he DOES need professional help. You can offer to go with him to the school counsellor or nurse. If he won't go, you have to go and tell them. He may be angry with you, but this can save his life.

His talking to you means he is reaching out for help. Good sign - but I hope you can carry it further.

JuniorxMyxLove
09-21-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not deluding myself into thinking that I can single-handedly save him, or fix all of his problems. I'm just trying to help him hold on until his home life improves, or he gets help, or he pulls himself out of the hole he's currently falling into.

I am SO glad that he trusts me enough to come to me. At the same time, I'm afraid that if I tell him he needs professional help, he'll shut me out and I won't know what/how he's doing, if that makes sense.

I know that at least one adult knows that he's cutting and my friend E mentioned that she'd gone to the counselors. How much she's told them, I'm not sure. Hopefully things with the newspaper calm down to a point that I get a chance to speak with her and figure out what she's doing about it all, because she's known for a few months. I might just drag her out to my car tomorrow at lunch so we can talk privately without a bunch of nosy journalists listening in, haha.

Karen
09-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I agree that getting a professional involved is the best thing you can do for him right now. Stress, when you talk with him, that depression is a serious illness, and just like you wouldn't expect to recover from, say, cancer without help from a doctor, neither should you expect to just "pull yourself out' of depression without one, too. Stress that you and his other friends love him, and do not want him to hurt himself, and that includes killing himself, that you need him in your lives and that things will get better eventually.

Alysser
09-21-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm assuming, he doesn't have his parents to talk to, and you can't go talk to them considering his home life is one of the major elements causing all this.

Personally, I think alot school officials do jack sh*t for kids most of the time. Not to be mean, but with all I've experienced in my 18 years in a public school system, I've never had one guidance counselor I would've trusted. I've dealt with bullying before and I would've never gone to one for that either. The one in my MIDDLE school, oh don't even get me started...:rolleyes: I'm KNOW there are some(maybe even alot) exceptions, I am KNOW there are amazing teachers you could go to as well, I had 4 that I trusted with my life. But then again, their jobs are to report it to the counselors.

Anyway, sorry for my little off-topic rant, but it's obvious this kid needs professional help and I'm glad you realize this. I am glad to that he has someone to talk to for now as well. That helps all the way of course. But is there any way he'd call a hotline first? He seems very reluctant to tell people about this, so maybe an anonymous hotline could help him.

Freedom
09-21-2011, 06:47 PM
My cousin's son went through something similar. And yes, the person he confided in went to the school counselor. That got things moving in the right direction.

pomtzu
09-21-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't mean to sound cold, but don't be his crutch. What if he should text you - you are unavailable to get back to him - and then he harms himself??? That's putting a lot on your shoulders, and it's not really fair to you, even tho you want to try to help. Would you feel guilty or responsible if he did something to himself because you weren't available?? Think about it. I really think that you are taking on way too much responsibility, and it could turn around and bite you in the butt. Be his friend and be supportive and steer him in the right direction and don't wait for his home life to improve or for him to pull himself out of this funk, because that's not likely to happen.

ToBeEvergreen
09-21-2011, 06:54 PM
First off, I'm sorry for completely disappearing from PT for so long! Life has been INSANE for a while, especially with the start of my senior year in high school. I've got loads to tell you all, but that's another thread (or five :p)

Also, I want to say that I do NOT self-harm. When I say it's my friend, I really do mean that it's my friend.

A few nights ago, my friend (we'll call him B) told me that he's struggling with depression. It was a little weird because we've never been super close but I was fine talking to him about it until he told me that he "just really wanted to die right now." I talked to him about it and he told me that he's bipolar and struggles with self-esteem issues.

He then told me that he has a problem with self-harming. I guess he's been cutting for almost a year now, and confided in me because he feels like our group of friends/newspaper staff is the only family he has right now. I was a little scared at this point because I think he must have been feeling really desperate to come to me out of all of our friends. Like I said, we've been friends for a couple years but we've never been really good friends.

BUT ANYWAYS. I didn't know what to do so I just started asking him why he did it, and he said that he has a really low self esteem and cuts when he feels like he's done something wrong or hasn't been good enough. I made him promise to text me the next time he felt the need to cut (at that point he hadn't in about 3 weeks) and I got a text a few hours after I fell asleep (I think you can guess what it said).

Before he told me that he cuts, he made me promise not to tell any of our friends on staff because he didn't want them to look at him differently, which I was fine with. I know there are some pretty judgmental people on staff who would NOT help him out at all. He did tell me that one of our friends, E, knows about this and has for a little while.

But I think it's gotten a lot worse for him lately. First, he started talking to me about it. He's also acting differently in class to the point that a few of the people who are closer to him noticed. He left class at one point yesterday and after I went out after him (I don't know what I thought he was gonna do but I followed him out to make sure he was okay), one of my friends came out trying to figure out what was wrong. I didn't tell her anything because he asked me not to but they all know that he's not okay. And if they notice, it worries me that it's really, really bad.

I talked to E yesterday to let her know that he had cut again and that I was ******** out (I don't know how to handle this!) and she let me know that she had told our newspaper adviser (who is more of a friend/mentor than a teacher) and I think she mentioned having talked to the counselors at school. I'm not sure exactly where she stands with the counselors. Like I said, I've only known for like 3 days and our newspaper is currently imploding on itself (we're fighting the principal about prior review/censorship right now) so we haven't had time to talk alone.

I'm just...confused. And a little scared for him. He knows that he can talk to me whenever he needs to (that first night I was up until 3am texting him) and that I'm not judging him on anything and I'm trying to be as supportive to him as I can, but I don't know what else to do. And he HAS come to me when he's feeling really low - I've started keeping my phone on me at all times and checking it during class in case he sends a text because I really don't want a repeat of that first night, where he needed help and I wasn't responding.

He texted me about 30 minutes ago saying "I just can't deal with these problems anymore." and then didn't respond for about 20 minutes when I texted back asking what was wrong. I'm not even gonna lie...I was really, really scared waiting for that text to come back because he wasn't answering... but he answered and mentioned family problems and he's going to text me when he wakes up from his nap so I guess I'm going to be finding out more about WHY he's doing what he's doing tonight.

I'm really glad that he's told me and he trusts me enough to confide and I want to help him, but I don't know how. I watched my sister unravel a few years ago but she never self-harmed and we were a lot closer so it was easier for me to comfort her.

Hi there! Don't believe we've met on here, as I am fairly new.

First off, very nice to see that you're seeking help for your friend. My advice to you will have both personal and professional views thrown in. I am part of a national group called Active Minds, and we work to raise awareness for the stigmas around mental illness (www.activeminds.org) - don't want people to have to be afraid any longer of coming forward and getting help! It's completely natural, and most people in their lifetime will go through a period of regular or serious depression. Depression is actually the common cold of mental illness, in that it is really, really common.

Problems your friend listed:
- bi-polar
- depression
- self esteem issues
-self-harming

In perspective, self-harm, suicidal tendencies and depression all go hand in hand. I can't tell from your story if he is bi-polar depressive, or if you're talking about two different problems. They can be treated with different meds, which is why it is often very important for people to seek help to see if they can find what can help them as soon as possible. I do not believe that medication should ever be the Only way. The root of the problem is key here. You do not, to my knowledge, have any sort of counseling degree? Unless you really know how to handle it, one can't exactly "treat" the problems, although you can certainly help! As you've been doing, which is very good. It is always beneficial for friends to take an active role in helping a friend with these problems. Some people are made very uncomfortable about it so they don't know how to handle it- which can cause scorn from friends and family, and a sort of, "What's wrong with you!?!" attitude.

I had a friend in high school who self-harmed, had attempted suicide in the past, had self esteem issues and was bullied. His parents tossed him from state to state, and so he had adjustment issues at his new schools, including his last one, my own.

He would put weights in his backpack, cut off his own circulation, and then suddenly he told me he'd tried cutting. I had had enough. I first encouraged him to tell multiple people. He did tell a few of our friends, but not his parents, for he feared they wouldn't understand- and not teachers. I got really worried about him, so I went to a school counselor and told her what was going on in confidence. She got his teachers involved, and helped him with class adjustment issues. Later one day, a friend sent me a message on Facebook saying he wasn't answering and they thought he had hurt himself, so we called 911 (they do wellness checks, and if the person is not okay, bring them into the hospital for help). He was out with his mom at the movies- BUT, now by default his parents knew. And they HELPED him! He was surprised, and he told us he was very grateful. I talked for many long nights with him, spent a lot of time assuring him of his talents and worth. More than a lot of people might, and finally realized I could only do so much- without the professional knowledge, it's hard to do what is absolutely best for them, and hard to know since each person may need something slightly different! Counselors at school are trained on how to respond to these situations, so understand that involving them is not a bad thing, and can be done in confidence if need be!

What do I do the next time he tells me he feels like he needs to cut?! What are alternatives/steps to help him stop/avoid cutting?

I'm afraid that I don't know a lot about cutting specifically, but you can do some research on it, and I will too if you need some help! I've got my books right here. I'm a psychology major, so I deal with this stuff a lot.

One of my/his best friends knows that something's wrong/that he's depressed but she doesn't know about the cutting. She's REALLY worried and respects that I won't tell her what's up but I know she's kind of been monitoring him with me, if that makes sense.

Perfect sense, I did the same thing with the friends who didn't know what was going on. You have to respect their privacy, but having multiple people looking out for him is only a plus!

I know that I should go to the counselors about this but I really don't want to betray his trust, y'know? And I think they already know if my friend told them...

I'm honestly at a loss right now. It's stressing me out because I'm constantly worried about him/what he's doing and I haven't been sleeping and the stress is making my migraines worse and I STILL have to worry about the fact that we might end up going to the school board to start a battle that could take YEARS to be resolved and ugh.

Take a deep breath there! Understand that this is not something that can go away without some sort of professional help. Schools can be a GREAT resource for these things. I was worried about betraying my friend's trust too. I had PROMISED him not to tell anyone, but this is one promise that is dangerous to keep. I broke it when he started cutting, because with cutting, one wrong cut and a person can bleed out. It's a situation that needs more immediate attention, and the more it goes on, the worse it will get. Acting sooner rather than later will be more beneficial for him.
As a side note, my friend was actually grateful that someone cared enough to tell someone! He was freaking out more than I was about getting help. They can't exactly think clearly, and believe me, I know how hard it is to think for them! But that's not your full job. Your job is more to coax and help them get the help they need, and to deal with stress in healthy ways. For example, exercise has been proven to have a positive effect on depression patients!

I am SO not equipped to handle this. I swear, I have this inability to connect to people's emotions and I have no idea how to comfort him or what to say (other than holy ****) when he's telling me all this.

Welp. Senior year certainly is interesting so far!

Naturally, nor am I. I just happen to know some stuff that I pray will help you out. I like to use what I know in any way that may help other people, which is why I like being in a field like Psych. You learn a lot about people.

It sounds like, with him, you've got a lot on your plate. And senior year is already very stressful!

To conclude, I want to give you some info on the National Suicide Prevention pamphlets that were handed out when I joined Active Minds. First of all, the number for them is 1-800-273-8255
Which is 1-800-273-TALK. It is for those at risk of suicide to call, or those who KNOW someone at risk. If you want, I encourage you to give them a call!

The suicide warning signs include the following common symptoms:
- Threatening to hurt or kill oneself or talking about wanting to hurt or kill oneself.
- Looking for ways to kill oneself by seeking access to firearms, available pills, or other means.
- Talking or writing about death, dying or suicide when these actions are out of the ordinary for the person.
- Feeling hopeless
- Feeling rage or uncontrolled anger or seeking revenge.

-Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities: seemingly without thinking.
- Feeling trapped: like there is no way out.
- Increasing alcohol or drug use.
- Withdrawing from friends, family or society.
- Feeling anxious, agitated, or unable to sleep or sleeping all the time.
- Experiencing dramatic mood changes.
- Seeing no reason for living or having no sense of purpose in life.

That's from there, add in lose of appetite or overeating. More males statistically go for suicide than females. If I could take a guess (and I will), it's because they do not talk about their feelings as much, due to the societal standard of them having to be Tough and Strong, and Manly. But like females, they are very much human, and have the same basic needs as we do.

By the way, I was told by my advisor, who has a doctorate in psychology, that asking someone who is suicidal if they have a plan is fine. It may be scary to do so, but it won't make them any more likely to go through with it if they have one, and once you know, you can know if you need to take IMMEDIATE action, as in call the police, who would take them to the hospital.

For now? If a few more friends are involved, have them talk to him too, so that not all of that is on your shoulders. You can't keep something like this a secret if you have his best interests at heart- you said so yourself, you've no clue how to proceed, so talking to someone who has had much more experience in this can help!

JuniorxMyxLove
09-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm assuming, he doesn't have his parents to talk to, and you can't go talk to them considering his home life is one of the major elements causing all this.

Personally, I think school officials do jack sh*t for kids most of the time. Not to be mean, but with all I've experienced in my 18 years in a public school system, I've never had one guidance counselor I would've trusted. I've dealt with bullying before and I would've never gone to one for that either. The one in my MIDDLE school, oh don't even get me started...:rolleyes: I'm SURE there are some exceptions, I am SURE there are amazing teachers you could go to as well, I had 4 that I trusted with my life. But then again, their jobs are to report it to the counselors.

Anyway, sorry for my little off-topic rant, but it's obvious this kid needs professional help and I'm glad you realize this. I am glad to that he has someone to talk to for now as well. That helps all the way of course. But is there any way he'd call a hotline first? He seems very reluctant to tell people about this, so maybe an anonymous hotline could help him.

I'm pretty sure his parents are out of the question. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with his home life (hoping tonight will answer that for me) but I know it's not good (he's said before that he feels like we're the only family he has right now)

I've never gone to my counselor for anything personal before, but she's always seemed sincere enough and willing to try and help. I dunno. I think it's all going to depend on what my friend E has been doing because I don't know what the counselors know and what their plan of action is.

Hi there! Don't believe we've met on here, as I am fairly new.

First off, very nice to see that you're seeking help for your friend. My advice to you will have both personal and professional views thrown in. I am part of a national group called Active Minds, and we work to raise awareness for the stigmas around mental illness- don't want people to have to be afraid any longer of coming forward and getting help!

Problems your friend listed:
- bi-polar
- depression
- self esteem issues
-self-harming

In perspective, self-harm, suicidal tendencies and depression all go hand in hand. I can't tell from your story if he is bi-polar depressive, or if you're talking about two different problems. They can be treated with different meds, which is why it is often very important for people to seek help to see if they can find what can help them as soon as possible. I do not believe that medication should ever be the Only way. The root of the problem is key here. You do not, to my knowledge, have any sort of counseling degree? Unless you really know how to handle it, one can't exactly "treat" the problems, although you can certainly help! As you've been doing, which is very good. It is always beneficial for friends to take an active role in helping a friend with these problems. Some people are made very uncomfortable about it so they don't know how to handle it- which can cause scorn from friends and family, and a sort of, "What's wrong with you!?!" attitude.

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

I just wanted to add that my friend E made it seem like he's never been diagnosed as being bi-polar, but that it runs in his family and he seems pretty convinced that he suffers from it.

lol no degree, I'm just a senior in high school. I'm definitely not trying to treat or fix him; I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to respond when he comes to me so scared and upset.

pomtzu - I completely understand what you're saying, but I don't want to push him away. I know that if something happens, I'll feel terrible but I'd feel even worse knowing that he tried to come to me for help and I didn't do everything I could, y'know? I'm certainly not expecting him to fix himself or his family life to completely change, I probably could have worded my earlier post to be a little clearer.

(sorry if I'm ignoring any points you guys are making; I'm trying to do this and prepare for an AP Bio test AND get a presentation ready for AP Lit)

ToBeEvergreen
09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
I got some work for tonight too, ha. Just to let you know, there are different types of mood disorders. Some of them do seem to run in the family, and can make it really difficult to function as a family, especially if more than one of them has it, more so if they are not treated.

major depressive disorder- serious to severe depressive disorder in which a person may show loss of appetite, psychomotor retardation and impaired reality testing.

bi-polar disorder- characterized by mood swings from ecstatic elation to deep depression. Cycles seem unrelated to external events.

The manic episodes of a bi-polar individual are as such: they may show excitement or silliness, to an extreme, and may become engrossed in normal activities: inspiration may appear to be high, and they sit there writing for days, without eating. That's a drastic case, but a real one.

Hey, send me a message if you'd like to know anything else, kay?

Asiel
09-21-2011, 07:49 PM
All I can add to this is that you've gotten some very sound advice and it would be in both your and your friend's interest to heed that advice. Maybe your school doesn't have counsellors that would be able to cope without judging your friend, some schools have terrific counsellors, others not so great.
Could you speak to your own doctor about your friend and ask him to set up an appointment with a professional that could help? Of course you should speak to your friend about this and ask him to please accompany you . Beg if you have to but like Pomtzu mentioned this is way above you, please don't wait for something tragic to happen.
Your friend is right - bi-polar does tend to run in families, the sooner your friend gets help the better.

luvofallhorses
09-21-2011, 07:57 PM
It sounds like he may need professional help, depression is some serious stuff to deal with and people can hit rock bottom easily. This is personal, but do you know if he is on any meds for depression? They aren't a "cure all" but can certainly help.

sparks19
09-21-2011, 09:03 PM
The only advice i can offer is to speak to a school counsellor and call the suicide hotline and tell them what you told us