PDA

View Full Version : Cat in the Hat Mural

finn's mom
09-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Started tracing this on Friday morning at 8, finished at 8pm Sunday! For my 35th birthday, David purchased the supplies for the mural, kept Clara busy and the house kept all weekend, and gave me a super sweet handmade card and breakfast in bed this morning. My sister-in-law helped all three days, my friend Kelly helped two days, and my friends Danielle and Morgan came over today. We all initialed the wall, and signed the transparency sheet I used to trace the design on the wall. I'll frame the transparency to keep in Clara's room. :) What an experience! I have such an amazing life.

Here are some progression photos!

Projected image (I bought the projector used off craigslist, and it was DIRTY, those big smudges are on the projector)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/Projected.jpg

Penciled in! (Friday, 8am-1:30pm, all me!)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/PenciledIn.jpg

Outlined in black paint! (Saturday, my sister-in-law and me)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/Outlined.jpg

Me painting on Saturday

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/Painting.jpg

Painted Saturday (my sister-in-law, Kelly and me)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/Painted1.jpg

All done! Finished Sunday (everyone helped!)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/Finished.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
09-19-2011, 12:27 AM
WOW!!! That's a wonderful mural and she'll enjoy it for years to come.:)

happylabs
09-19-2011, 01:53 AM
That is the coolest thing ever! I love Cat in the Hat.

Freedom
09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
I've never seen anything like that. WOW that is really cool! I like it! Well done.

How awesome for all to lend a hand to make this happen.

sparks19
09-19-2011, 09:21 AM
That is so amazing :) Great job

I was thinking of doing that for Hannahs room one day ... but I don't have a projector and I don't know that I could free hand something quite that big

:love:

finn's mom
09-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Thank you, everyone!!!

. . . but I don't have a projector and I don't know that I could free hand something quite that big

:love:

I got mine from craigslist for $20. I was going to rent one for the weekend, but it was $50.

Karen
09-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Great job, that's a lot of work, but it'll be there for year and years to come! Anyone who hasn't done a mural might not know how tedious it can be, but the results are worth it for sure!

phesina
09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
WOW, what a job! That is fantastic! Well done!

Pat

beeniesmom
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh my gosh Kari, that is phenominal! You're so talented. Laura is sitting next to me and is saying Cat Hat, she loves the show and the books. It's really special. Clara will enjoy it for so many years to come. :)

finn's mom
09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Great job, that's a lot of work, but it'll be there for year and years to come! Anyone who hasn't done a mural might not know how tedious it can be, but the results are worth it for sure!

Tedious is a great word for it. ;) None of it was super hard, but it was definitely time consuming. I was rarely by myself (except for the tracing), and only took an hour out of her room, in 10-15 minute breaks, each day. We lost power on Friday night, so all that was done on Friday was tracing and supply shopping. ;) Saturday and Sunday were non-stop painting, with two to five people at a time! I'm already brainstorming for her other two walls. ;)

momcat
09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! I can't help but admire your patience, creativity, and extraordinary talent. You did an incredible job!

Taz_Zoee
09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
That is awesome!!
I want a mural on this one huge wall we have at work. Everyone laughed at me when I said it. But I think it would be awesome! It's the perfect wall for it. But I have ZERO talent. Even with tracing. LOL

I can't wait to see what you do on the other walls. :D

Sowa
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Wow, I love it. Looks like a fun project :D

sana
09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
lovely and amazing! :eek: :D :) :love:

finn's mom
09-20-2011, 01:14 AM
That is awesome!!
I want a mural on this one huge wall we have at work. Everyone laughed at me when I said it. But I think it would be awesome! It's the perfect wall for it. But I have ZERO talent. Even with tracing. LOL

I have never done anything like this before, and I did it well! You can totally do it!

I have already chosen a page from the same activity book that I got the Thinga-ma-jigger design from. ;) It's an underwater scene with Sally and a dolphin! I'm not 100%, yet, but I really like it! And I LOVE how Clara says "doll-sin" haha.

finn's mom
09-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Wow, I'm impressed! I can't help but admire your patience, creativity, and extraordinary talent. You did an incredible job!

Aw, thank you! Patience, for sure! One out of three's not bad haha.

Taz_Zoee
09-20-2011, 05:06 PM
I have never done anything like this before, and I did it well! You can totally do it!

I have already chosen a page from the same activity book that I got the Thinga-ma-jigger design from. ;) It's an underwater scene with Sally and a dolphin! I'm not 100%, yet, but I really like it! And I LOVE how Clara says "doll-sin" haha.

Doll-sin, that's adorable!!

Yeah, I don't think they'd let me paint on the wall at work though. Since we don't own the space, we only rent it. Bummer....:(

Karen
09-20-2011, 06:09 PM
That is awesome!!

Be careful if you do decide on putting a mural on the wall at work, never to use copyrighted material like the Cat in the Hat! People have been sued for using some else's material to 'profit' their business.

gini
09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
That is just fabulous!! What a labor of love.

What did Clara have to say about it?

finn's mom
09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Be careful if you do decide on putting a mural on the wall at work, never to use copyrighted material like the Cat in the Hat! People have been sued for using some else's material to 'profit' their business.

I know I read that a lot of places won't even copy copyrighted stuff, but wouldn't there be a copyright on the image being used? There wasn't anything on the image I used for Clara's mural, so I felt comfortable using it. How can you tell if something is copyrighted? The only thing I saw in the book I used was on an advertisement for "the Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot about that" dvd ad in the very back. I know in this case, you're not referring to a private home . . . but I'm still curious!

finn's mom
09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
That is just fabulous!! What a labor of love.

What did Clara have to say about it?

She says hi to the CAt and the fish ("sish") all the time! :love:

finn's mom
09-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Doll-sin, that's adorable!!

Yeah, I don't think they'd let me paint on the wall at work though. Since we don't own the space, we only rent it. Bummer....:(

Never hurts to ask. I know most rented houses or apartments let you paint, as long as you paint over it when you leave! :)

Roxyluvsme13
09-22-2011, 10:49 AM
This is so cute! I bet Clara absolutely LOVES it. I know I would have at her age :).

Bonny
09-22-2011, 11:20 AM
The Cat In The Hat is one of my favorites & I want one in my room too.:D That is a really cute wall mural & you are very talented. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
09-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Wow, that is awesome!! Good job, the finished product looks so professional! Is Dr. Seuss one of Clara's favorites?

finn's mom
09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks you guys!

Is Dr. Seuss one of Clara's favorites?

Yes, ma'am! That's how we chose to decorate her room, so she's surrounded by the characters and books. And I let her watch The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That on PBS. :)

lvpets2002
09-26-2011, 11:26 AM
:eek: Oh WoW that is just so Awesome.. I have always Loved Dr. Seuss Cartoon.. I want one now on my wall..