PDA

View Full Version : Nikolai, my Russian Blue......

wayne0214
11-09-2002, 08:05 AM
........is one of the most loyal kitties i have ever known. If any cat could qualify as a "puppy cat" it would be Nikolai. He sleeps next to me every night, and what ever I am doing,( especially in the kitchen) he is right there to "help". whenever I get up to do something he is often with me, loping all the way. When I am watching TV, he is is often on my lap especially when none of the others are occupying that space. He starts purring whenever I touch him, especially when I pick him up. I know the cat personality traits for a Russian Blue, states that they are very loyal to their "owners", but Nikolai surpasses all expectations. The more I am around my Russian Blues' the more I appreciate this breed of furkid.

koxka
11-09-2002, 08:27 AM
Hi Wayne, your Nicolai seems to be the perfect companion :p . I want one of these!!! :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
11-09-2002, 03:21 PM
I love kitties that like to be with you all the time. They are so special. I"d just love to hug that little Nikolai.

wayne0214
11-10-2002, 08:32 AM
Nikolai is not neutered, yet, although he has not demonstrated sexual maturity either. I am thinking of mating him with another Russian Blue, if I can find one. This breed of cat is not too common in S.E. Kansas. Although He has all the the coat qualities and personality characterisitics of pure-bred Russian Blue, he has no papers. What do you all think I should do? Should I get him neutered or let him mate?

.......wayne

smokey the elder
11-10-2002, 09:05 AM
With no knowledge of his genetic heritage, I would recommend neutering. *Insert standard pet overpopulation blurb here.* But the final decision is up to you.

Cataholic
11-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Oh, Wayne, I think you should avoid letting Nikolai mate! There are soooooo many babies out there needing a home......and you really don't know Nikolai's true heritage...

jenluckenbach
11-10-2002, 06:46 PM
I know how tempting it can be to want to breed that special pet that you love, but Wayne, I KNOW that you know how many animals are awaiting a forever home already, and I can't imagine that you would want to add to that problem.

And this thought is for ANYONE who breeds animals...........
Even if ALL of your babies go to good and loving homes, that is how many animals already in shelters that WILL NOT find homes because they took yours instead.

wayne0214
11-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Ok, the opinions are unanimous, I'll defnitely take him in to be neutered before spring. Smokey the elder, cataholic, and the others are correct, in that before Nokolai was born I did not see which male cat mated with Cookie Cat, his mom. (I do remember seeing a near-feral long haired blue cat with the others.) So, whether he is a purebred, or just that his genetic structure happened to come out a near "pure bred" Russan Blue, there is no guarantee that his kittens will come out like him. Also, that I frequent looking over cats on line for adoption. I wish I could just go over to the shelters and get all of them. But alas, my 12 now, are more than enough, and this doesn't include those ferals and neighbor's cats that I also feed, have adopted, and shelter in the basement. I think that I am now caring for about 17 furkids, namely, those extra 5 who stay outdoors.

.......wayne