PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels, tomatoes and Phred.

RICHARD
09-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I had to laugh when it finally dawned on me that the dog was not eating the tomatoes off the plants.

I think we all remember Phred and HIS tomato plant story.....

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110798&highlight=maters%2C+cinder

-------------------

Earlier in the season Doris and I planted two tomato plants to see if we could grow some 'maters.......the plants have done remarkably well with a few maters on the vines.

Some of them ended up with dark spots that ruined the fruit....I carefully picked them off the plants and tossed them out.

But I noticed that the others were disappearing as soon as I spotted them on the vine. I remembered Phred and his problems with his dogs and thought that Tucker, the Wonder Dog was eating them!

(Tucker earned the name Wonder Dog from me wondering how dumb he seems at times?;))

Since we started the plants late in the season I didn't pay too much attention to the 'problem' until I noticed the squirrels running from the next door neighbor's yard with some green orbs in their mouths....

Hmm, that was weird.....Until I realized that they were eating the GREEN TOMATOES OFF OF the neighbor's plants........mine too!

I began to laugh because I blamed the dog - thanks to Phred's Tomato Tale - and never bothered to really find out who was pilfering my plants/tomatoes.

Since it was a project to see if we could grow some maters? It wasn't the devastating outcome I thought it would be.....I did pick a small green mater, let it ripen on the window sill and had it for dinner last night.

And while I cut it up for the salad, I thought about Phred, the dogs and his tomato plants.:D

-----------------

Thanks Phred.

I think I can trust Tucker, TWD with my tomatos from now on?:D

Karen
09-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Hee hee - yeah, if you want to protect your tomatoes from squirrels, caging the plants with chickenwire fencing usually works ... otherwise, squirrels, raccoons and all sorts of critters will be enjoying the fruits of your plantings!

aTailOf2Kitties
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
oddly enough, I've got squirrels all over the place and they never bother my tomatoes. I guess the bird feeder is enough to keep them satisfied.