PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know About "Nylabones??"

delidog
11-09-2002, 06:52 AM
My new Danemation, Joey is chewing me out of house and Boney Allowance...I was going to get him a Nylabone...but i thought that i remembered somebody on Pet Talk saying that they were bad and that dogs had died from them...am I mistaken???Does anyone know if they are safe????
Does anyone remember that thread?????
I need to get him something....We just lost 25 Cds' to his appetite the other day.....

Any Advise??????
Please?!?!?!?

lovemyshiba
11-09-2002, 08:07 AM
My Kito has 3 or 4, and he loves them--if you have a strong chewer, get the really tough ones--he likes the one that looks like a turkey leg, and some that are flavored with Chicken. Other things he hasn't gotten through are Kongs and spoons--big plastic serving spoons--Faberware, I think--he loves them.

Cookiebaker
11-09-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by delidog
We just lost 25 Cds' to his appetite the other day.....

OUCH!! :(!!

joycenalex
11-09-2002, 09:38 AM
both of my dogs, alex the wonder dog and duke the golden senior love their nylabones/gumabones. if i buy a soft fabric toy, it's gone in a matter of minutes and the only things that have been resistant to these serious chewers have been the kongs(the black ones have lasted 2 years so far), galaxy balls(saucer shapes kong type rubbery material) and the gumabones. i do daily check the toys to make sure they are in good shape and there aren't any pieces about to come off. the ads for the gumabones and nylabones in the omaha vaccacine catalogue do mention that they are now x-ray visible. i bet that is because of the past history of problems.
do you think joey is chewing from teething pain or boredom? if it is teething pain, it does pass(and not soon enough), if boredom, i've used a bustercube filled with food/treat kibble. the food will spill out in small amounts and food stuffed kongs or galaxy balls to keep him occupied. also, maybe keeping him confined to a smaller space during the day might help with the chewing of CDs. my dogs stay in the tiled floor kitchen during the work day since i know there isn't much for them to destroy if they get really really bored. hope this helps, joyce

Cincy'sMom
11-09-2002, 10:42 AM
We have a few nylabones around and have not had aproblem with them. I get the ones for agresive chewers and just watch the knuckles...if they start to wear down too much, or if the pieces breking off get big, I throw the bone out.

I think like any dog toy, you will get mixed opininions...some people love rawhide, others think it is dangerous.

Kongs are great, and durable, so are Orbees. We also have several, treat dispensing toys, some made by Kong, a giggly-ball, and talk-to me-treat ball. ect.

I think what it comes down to is what you are comfortable giving your dog. I think you can be a little more lenient when you are monitoring what the dog is cheing on...but I would not give a nylabone when you re not home. Just my opinion.

25 CD's OUCH!! Sadie got in big trouble when she ate 1! ...She hasn't eaten any since :)

ChrisH
11-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Bob is a power chewer too, anything and everything! He has gotten better now he is older but Kongs and konglike rubber toys are the only things I dare leave him with still!
I don`t know about nylabones, I have never tried him with one, though the ones that CincysMom has written about sound good, I may get one for Bob and see how he gets on.
I can recommend the Kong however, Bob has had his black one for around three years now and it is still ok. It also has a plus in that it can be filled with all sorts of stuff and keep a dog occupied for quite a while. (though Bob seems to empty it in record time now, practice makes perfect I suppose!! LoL)

Bob hasn`t chewed up any music CDs but he did chew up the CD software disk for my scanner..grrrrr

delidog
11-10-2002, 05:00 AM
Thanks...i will try the Kong site....i think they are sold at Pet smart....
the cds' were in a closed,zippered nylon case of 50....sitting up on top of speakers in a wall unit....what I thought was out of reach...he must have stood up and dragged the case down...and then proceeded to chew through!!! at least he didn't get all 50!!!!still an expensive proposition......guess i'll have to join 2 record clubs to replace...(you know get 12 for a penney to join?!?!?!)

i'm 5'8" when he stands on his hind legs he puts his paws on my shoulders and is a little more than eye to eye with me....
Nothing is out of reach.....

it seems to be seperation anxiety...he only chews the first 15 to 30 min. after we leave in the morning...so I'm thinking the kong toy with kibble or peanut butter to occupy him till he forgets that we are gone...he has Delilah to play with!!!!

Cincys' Mom....warn Dakotahs' Mommy....unless everything is over 6'5" in your house....Look Out!!!!!
Tall Danes on the loose!!!

here is his photo:

ChrisH
11-10-2002, 05:44 AM
delidog, I couldn`t resist doing this, hope you don`t mind?:)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/p6d9e570f5af45cce55db4d803672c08d/fd0fd690.jpg

delidog
11-10-2002, 05:56 AM
Oh Thank You Chris and Bob!!!!!!!
I am not the swiftest with computers....I appreciate any and all help and advise!!!!!!!
Nicole

Cincy'sMom
11-10-2002, 07:17 AM
OMG!! They are adorable!!! I love the spot around Joey's eye (He's like a overgrown Little Rascal's dog :) )and Delilah is just beautiful!!!

KYS
11-10-2002, 10:26 AM
Oh my goodness, 25 CD'S!!!

Sorry, I do not remember a thread.
But In our house we have Galio bone (sp), Nyla bones, Kongs at our house.
The big Galio bone, (which I think is made by Nyla bone) is
a bit more expensive but will last forever and is
made for heavy chewers.

delidog
11-10-2002, 06:10 PM
The good news is that he didn't swallow any...just Munch!Munch!Munch!!!!

Cincys'Mom...it is sooo funny...when i walk them in my neighborhood,I cannot tell you how many people stop...(Pull Cars Over) and ask if his name is "Petey!!"...that was the dog in the little rascals'...its' really amusing...poor Deli gets a little indignant...so she gets an x-tra cookie when he gets an extra compliment;) ....alls' fair in love and Cookies, Right?!?!?!?

I should have changed his name when i got him...but he looks and behaves like a "Joey.."
Like Joey,Bag-o-Donuts!!!;) :D

Dakota's Mommy
11-13-2002, 09:20 AM
Delidog, luckily, Dakota hasn't really taken any knick-knacks and chewed on them. The only thing in our house besides the toys that she used to chew on, but has stopped because she realized her punishment, was on the coffee table that we got for free! It's still in fine shape to use, but you can see a few teeth marks! I really hope that stays the same! However, I was just thinking about the fact that I'm not sure how to decorate our Christmas Tree this year. We have all these nice ornaments that I'm afraid the two girls (w/ being their first Christmas) will pull down and ruin! With Oreo, mom and dad just used to put the good ornaments in the other room or up high enough that she couldn't reach them. How do you do that w/ a Dane?

I just love that pic of your dogs though, so cute!