PDA

View Full Version : stupid clock

Cookiebaker
11-09-2002, 01:34 AM
I am very much annoyed with my computer clock at the moment...It is way off, (it says it's 5 in the morning, which I'm sure somewhere it is 5 in the morning, just not here!). Usually you can auto-synchranize it with the internet, but today it's giving me an error *wrinkled nose*. So I have to walk all the way downstairs just to find out the time. Humph.

COCatMama
11-09-2002, 01:44 AM
double-click it, then fix the time on it :)

AdoreMyDogs
11-09-2002, 06:34 AM
If you keep changing the time and it keeps slowly becoming wrong, then your CMOS battery may be going. Any computer supply store will carry them, but just make sure you get the correct voltage for your mainboard. They are only a few bucks each and they usually last about 5 or more years, but occationally they die sooner.

COCatMama
11-09-2002, 01:51 PM
geepers i did not know such a thing even existed! whereabouts in the computer guts is the battery? on the motherboard? what does it look like?

sammi
11-09-2002, 04:09 PM
My clock is always off and I set it at least once a day - today it is 2 hours slow (I have a clock above comp. desk) I thought I was not doing something right! Should I be clicking the OK (or) apply?? Tell us more about the battery. Where would you put one in??????

See Cookiebaker you might have some of learning something new today by complainng!!!!!

Fuzzy317
11-10-2002, 07:04 PM
Cookiebaker,

Your computer updates time automatically? does it know what time zone you are in? some computers default to either Pacific (California) time or Greenwich time. double click on your clock icon, and check the setting for time zone, to be sure its right.

Cookiebaker
11-10-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317
Cookiebaker,

Your computer updates time automatically? does it know what time zone you are in? some computers default to either Pacific (California) time or Greenwich time. double click on your clock icon, and check the setting for time zone, to be sure its right.

Jah, every few days it automatically updates to the "official" time (whatever that is!) and it has worked for over a year. I know I have had some problems with the clock going off when leaving "smilies" running for a while. But every time that happens I can click the "update now" button, and it will do the update to the official time. Now, however, when I do that it comes back with an error. I don't have a clock in this room, and thus depend on my computer to tell me the right time, and now it just won't work. I just don't get it, and it really makes me grouchy. :rolleyes: :p Thanks for letting me vent.

Fuzzy317
11-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Depending on what your internet connection is, you could have a second browser window open to the time.

I like http://www.worldtimeserver.com/ to find any time.

Or The official U.S. time (http://nist.time.gov/)

Cookiebaker
11-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Great links, Fuzzy, thanks so much!! That's exactly what I was looking for the other night and couldn't find! Thanks!! :D

Fuzzy317
11-10-2002, 07:25 PM
here is one a little odd, its eastern time zone, not sure yet how to change to another zone

INDUSTORIOUS CLOCK (http://yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.html)

Cookiebaker
11-10-2002, 07:32 PM
:cool:Cool!! :cool:

sammi
11-10-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
If you keep changing the time and it keeps slowly becoming wrong, then your CMOS battery may be going. Any computer supply store will carry them, but just make sure you get the correct voltage for your mainboard. They are only a few bucks each and they usually last about 5 or more years, but occationally they die sooner.

TELL US MORE!!!!!!LOL;)

AdoreMyDogs
11-11-2002, 06:52 AM
Before doing any hardware work to your computer it is best to backup your hard drive, if you are able to do that.

The CMOS battery is located on the motherboard. It's a little silver, round, flat battery which kind of resembles a watch battery, although the CMOS batter is just a bit bigger then a nickle, but smaller then a quarter. After your computer is turned off AND UNPLUGGED (important!), open up the box, ground your hands by touching something metal before reaching your hands into the computer (but not on the box itself...something else that's metal), and look for that little, flat battery. Sometimes it's in there pretty good, and you need a chip puller tool to get it out, but if you are careful you may be able to use your fingernails. It's usually pretty easy to get out, and it does not require any need to be afraid. Just use caution not to touch the motherboard or scratch it or anything. Once it is out, make your trip to the supply store as quick as possible. I forget how long it is OK to remove the battery from the mainboard, but I think it's a couple of hours before some problems may occur. Then you just take that little battery to your nearest computer supply store and if you can't find the correct voltage, get a store worker. Just make sure the voltage on the new battery is the exact same as the old one. The voltage will be engraved in the top of it. Once you have the new one, ground yourself again before reaching into the box by touching something metal and pop that little battery in.

It's now safe to plug in and turn on your pc. Your computer may start running the setup mode, if you are not comfortable with the setup mode then look down at the bottom of the setup and you will see different keys to press to do different things. Look for the key to press to exit, often it's the F10 key. Once Windows starts, you will need to change your time, date, and year, but this setting should last for years before it starts becoming wrong again. If it is doing the same thing again, then either the new battery is a dud or it's not the CMOS battery after all, but something different.

It's really easy, as long as the battery does not stay out of the computer for very long, and the voltage of the new is exactlly the same as the old. If you are not comfortable doing this, take the box to a computer place and they may do it for a (hopefully) low price.

If you want, PM me if you want me to help you through it. I'll give you my home number and walk you through it if you wanted.