Of support from the world in our American and International pain

I will not forget.
And I will tell the ones who were not yet born
Life changed that day
And not for the better.

I will not forget.

chocolatepuppy
09-11-2011, 08:23 AM
I was at work that morning. Our plant manager came through and told everyone and the company left the tv on in the conference room and welcomed us to spend our breaks in there to keep updated.

A day never forgotten, indeed.:(

Bonny
09-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I was out doing the morning chores. Hubby had TV on & breakfast was on the table. We always have the Today Show on.

Hubby said a plane flew into one of the twin towers. I said your kidding & my usual What The Heck!

We kept the TV on all day that day. We have it on now watching the memorial service. God Bless America!

pomtzu
09-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I remember too. I was at work and on the phone with a client who worked from home. She had her t.v. on when the news broke, and was relaying to me, what was happening. We speculated back and forth, and when I got off the phone with her, I went in to the kitchen which was just across from my office, and turned the t.v. on to see the horror unfolding. People from the office started streaming in as they got the news too. It was too horrible to watch, yet at the same time, I was frozen to that spot, unable to move, and stood watching in disbelief. My boss was sitting in a plane on the runway in Baltimore, unable to take off, and he had to call me to find out what was going on, since they weren't telling the passengers anything at that time. Not much work got done by anyone in the office that day.

sasvermont
09-11-2011, 09:46 AM
I am watching the regular TV coverage and boy are the tears a problem here in my home. James Taylor and Paul Simon singing just brings me to tears anyway.

So many lives were lost in such a horrific manner. It wasn't an act of God. So so very sad to have lost that many people - they will never be forgotten.

I was in my office at the firm where I worked in downtown Burlington, VT. We heard about the first tower and all gathered in the conference room and watched the coverage on TV. We saw the second hit happen. And when the Pentagon was reported to have happened, we were horrified. It did feel like war to me. I knew that Burlington was probably not a target, but figured all major cities were a possible target.

Everyone in my office was very quiet and pensive. We took the rest of the day off to recover and regroup. Most government (Federal especially) was shut down in Burlington, so that they could set up better security. It took our city a couple of days to get back to a halfway normal routine.

I went on a week's scheduled vacation that following weekend. I went to Stone Harbor, NJ. I bought two Tshirts with American flags on them. I still wear them to this day, and think about how horrible that week was for me.... and how safe I was - compared to those families having to deal with the death and missing of their family members.

My nephew is a police officer and a volunteer firefighter. So he is really into the thick of this anniversary big time. He is there at the site right now, for the day.

Bless the souls of all the folks who's lives were ended needlessly. Bless the families as well.

Time to take stock.

Freedom
09-11-2011, 10:04 AM
We spent the past 3 hours watching the memorial services on TV. Dad and I didn't know anyone who died that day; yet it was a horrific time, and seeing this service, it seems like yesterday, so hard to believe it has been 10 years.

We've had lots of coverage here all week, and the newspaper did a story on a different aspect all week long. One interesting article (to me) was talking about trying to teach what 9-11 is to the new high school students - they are age 14, were too young to understand when it happened. Amazing to me that this is now "history" to many. How can you ever convey the carefree attitudes we had before, and the nervous, looking up at the sky every moment feelings we had for days afterwards? And it occurred to me, they've never known the freedom of running through an airport at the last minute to catch a plane (OK they are still too young to do this, unless w/ family). How many times I'd done that for business trips. Now with all the security, you best arrive an hour early and 2 hours early would be better.

Dad and I were staying up at his house, we had 4 cats then (no dogs!). That Tuesday, he had a doctor's appointment. (Dad refused to change doctors for the first year he lived with me, as he was "just visiting!") We were running late, and hadn't put on the TV as we normally did. So we get to the doctor's office and it is empty - no one at the reception desk, no one in the waiting room. ??? So I called out. Someone hollered to come down the hall and turn left. They were all in the break room watching a small 13 inch TV. They told us a plane had hit one of the towers, and like most people, we couldn't get out heads around that, just replied, "what?" kind of dumb like. As they were repeating this, the second plane hit. As soon as we had the appt., we went back, packed up and drove back down here to my apartment (where we were living at the time). The roads were empty at that point.

Then we had 4 days with NO air traffic anywhere in our country. It was very quiet; you get used to normal background noises, and instead of being bothered by them, you notice their absence.

Surreal, that is what life was like, for days, a few weeks even.

davidpizzica
09-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I can remember. I was working on the golf course and I had to come into the shop for something and a guy in there said an airplane flew into one of the Towers. We kept working and and received more news reports and I remembered it was very weird not hearing any aircraft flying overhead as by then President Bush grounded all air flights. Also since they tightened security in the larger cities just after, my brother, since he worked in downtown Pittsburgh, had a tough time trying to get home that evening.

Alysser
09-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I was 8 years old when it happened, which to me at least seems crazy now. I was sitting in my 3rd grade classroom and I remember people kept leaving. My teacher was just as confused as all of us. No one knew what the hell was going on. Finally, me and my sister went home (she was in 5th grade in the same school) and we finally saw what happened. My mom still hadn't heard from my dad, who had flown over the city that day.

Finally, he called, he was in Boston totally oblivious to what had happened. Him and his Boss were on a business trip, which was cancelled, so they drove home that night. They had to go all around NYC and everything. It took them 2 days to get home. His building was right across from the WTC and he would always go to the shops underneath the towers to get coffee in the morning. I guess he was pretty damn lucky to be on that plane. He is volunteering at the memorial service in the city right now.

I can't even imagine what those poor families went through. May everyone who died rest in peace :love:

CountryWolf07
09-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I'll never forget either. I was in high school. Sophomore year, 3rd period, Government class. I was walking into the classroom and everyone was dead quiet. They were all watching the tv and I thought it was a movie. As soon my eyes landed on the tv, the second tower was hit.

I paid my respects at the local fire station where they received a beam of the WTC center - it's just very surreal and emotional. 10 years later, the skies are blue with no clouds in sight and I have noticed this. Every year on 9/11, it is always 'the same'..

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I was in 8th grade choir. Most of us were crying, and it was a very solemn few days. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

I say thanks every day for the troops that have made our country safe.

:love::love:

Taz_Zoee
09-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Being on the West Coast it was very early for us. I was getting ready for work and had my stereo on as I always did. They were reporting it so I turned on the TV to see what was going on. I didn't tune in until after the second tower was hit. My mom was watching when the second plane hit.
I worked at a day care at the time. We had to discuss how to handle everything with the children. I worked in the baby room so it wasn't as bad for me. Although, my co-teacher was from Afghanastan and we didn't get along so well to begin with. But she was very remorseful of what had happened. I think she didn't really know how to act either, but she was also sad.
It doesn't even matter that it has been 10 years since this happened.....every time I see the footage of the towers being hit and collapsing I get tears in my eyes. We recorded a show that interviewed people that got out of the building and what they went through. I just can't imagine it. :(
Every single person affected by this tragedy is in my thoughts today.....and every day.

Kirsten
09-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I was at work in Kassel at that time, it was already afternoon in Germany. A friend sent an email, telling me that two airplanes hit the World Trade Center and another one the Pentagon, and that one of the twin towers has already collapsed. War is near, that's what she wrote... Suddenly everyone at work seemed to know, and my boss set up a tv in the social room so we could watch. As it's been already closing time, I decided to drive home, and I listened to the radio while driving, hearing all these horrible news. At that time, they were working on the main road home, so I took a detour through the forest, and there it was that I heard the second tower collapsing, I heard the people crying and screaming, and it all felt simply unreal. I remember covering my mouth in shock and horror with one hand while I was driving. Came home and flew up the stairs to my apartment, turned on the tv and the computer, and there, I saw the entire horror. Tried to call an American friend, but only spoke to her answering machine. I called another friend and we both cried on the phone, we barely knew what to say. It was a huge comfort to have Luna with me that night, who was only one year old at that time.

All these pictures of that day seem to be burnt in my memory forever, and though 10 years have passed now, I can still feel the same horror and disbelief when I look at them. And it still feels so near...

My those who lost their lives R.I.P.

Roxyluvsme13
09-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I was nine years old. In 4th grade. I kept wondering why everyone was leaving and why everyone's parents were coming to get them.

I don't think I fully grasped the event until I got older. There was a lot I didn't understand that I do now...

I won't forget though. It's a terrible tragedy that I lived through during my childhood. I can't believe it's been ten years...

krazyaboutkatz
09-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I was still at home and I had a doctor's appt. that morning before work. My roommate at the time was also still home and she received a call from a friend on the east coast. The friend told her to turn on the tv. She did and then told me watch it too. We both couldn't believe what we were seeing. It was also very quiet at the doctor's office and they had a radio on so I was able to hear what was going on. When I got to work, we had the tv on in the break room and everyone kept going in to watch it throughout the day. It all just seemed like a bad dream.:( May everyone who lost their life RIP and ((HUGS))) are going out to any one who lost a loved one.:love:

JMCsGirl
09-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I went to school that morning and had class. It was my first year of big girl grown up college. I had gotten out of class and was sitting at a table when a friend of mine told me a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I remember thinking, "Ok, so what?" and, "Where is the World Trade Center?" I learned fast! I remember going into the library a short time later and the television was on. That was when I saw the sheer magnitide of what was happening. I remember standing there with shock and awe of what was truley happening. I remember the months of news coverage and how it was all that was on the television. I remember the lines of people lined up to get gas and the sudden hike in prices. They never really went down after that. I remember that day very well.

davidpizzica
09-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I also clearly remember flight 93 crashing in Shanksville, Pa. which is only about 60 miles from Pittsburgh. To me, those 40 men and women on that flight are real heroes who prevented an even bigger catrastophe.

carole
09-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I have just watched a hour show on our Sunday programme, regarding sept 11th, it really makes you realise just how awful, horrific this was, but it was awesome to see two survival stories, one a fireman and a woman,and another gentleman from the building next door.

It will be a day never forgotten worldwide.

Kirsten
09-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I also clearly remember flight 93 crashing in Shanksville, Pa. which is only about 60 miles from Pittsburgh. To me, those 40 men and women on that flight are real heroes who prevented an even bigger catrastophe.

Oh yes, they definitely are!!

carole
09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
absolutely, they interviewed the wife of one of the men on that plane,it was a very touching story, and made me feel very sad,they were indeed heroes.

Karen
09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I have not watched the media coverage, but from what I have seen, it seems so centered around New York City. But people may forget that there were victims from all over, but many from Massachusetts on those two planes, and that they originated in Boston. Not that it matches the number of New Yorkers in the two buildings and all the firefighters and police that sacrificed their lives that day, in New York, but many local companies around here lost employees, and families did as well.

It was eerie the continuing silence in the skies over the Boston area, so, so many planes fly in and out of Boston's Logan airport that it has become just part of everyday life to hear planes overhead. And then there were none, save the screaming pass of a patrolling fighter jet, and the silence afterwards that echoed even louder.

pomtzu
09-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I too, found the silence of no planes, to be deafening. We are near no commercial airports, but there is Dover Air Force Base about 12 miles south of here, and a couple of small private fields, so we do hear some planes throughout the day. It was eerie to hear nothing. I don't really remember how long it went on, a few days maybe, but it seemed like an eternity.

Pinot's Mom
09-11-2011, 05:49 PM
It is burned in my memory. I was at work, talking to one of my favorite customers in New England who owns his company. He said, "Maggie, a plane just hit the World Trade Center." We both speculated it was a rogue small plane off track. We soon learned how wrong we were. Internet access became problematic, but I managed to get CNN on line and never cut the access. People from all over my company came to check on my computer. We were absolutely numb. Our duties went on, but we weren't really functioning. The whole nation was on anesthesia as all the events unfolded.

luvofallhorses
09-11-2011, 05:59 PM
I was in the 9th grade and only 15, almost 16. My brother and I were getting ready to go to school and were watching the news... it was unbelievable and I was shocked because everyone knew it was an accident. We didn't even do any work that day, just watched tv and were completely silent. My heart hurts for all the people's families that were torn apart that day, who lost their loved ones, and ones that lost their friends and even those special firefighters trying to save people. They were our true heroes and my heart goes out to those who lost them as well.
http://www.holidays.zingerbugimages.com/glitter_graphics/never_forgotten_9-11_candle.gif

momcat
09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
A day that will live in infamy!

Mike was working as a stable manager then. His boss came out saying she just got a call about the first plane. At first those of us who were there thought a small plane had a horrible accident. The news was turned on, when we heard about the second plane all we could do was look at each other and say, "What the h... is going on?" Then we heard about the Pentagon. Just about all riding lessons called to cancel. The Lakehurst Naval Air Base is a few miles from the stable. When I went on a coffee run, three armed MPs had the road closed. That's when I got scared.

The next day at work we had a prayer vigil. The minister that organized it asked each of us to tell how we were affected. One woman said her son was active military and he received orders to report to base because he was being deployed. The orders didn't say where he would be sent. Then another woman said the pilot of the first plane was her neighbor. Stunned silence filled the conference room.

Those who died, those who somehow survived, the brave and heroic first responders, and those left to grieve remain very much in my prayers. In your honor we will never forget!

dab_20
09-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I was 9 years old, just arriving to school. I specifically remember watching the towers in smoke and the second plane hit. I didn't understand the significance of it until a few years later, honestly. We were all confused. I understood when my other brother had to go to Afghanistan, my whole family was upset.

My heart goes out to all the families affected by this tragedy.

davidpizzica
09-12-2011, 09:32 AM
My sister lives in a town called Monroe, NY. about 40 miles northwest of New York City. She commutes to Englewood NJ to work and she said that even at that distance in 2001, she could see the smoke cloud rising from ground zero.

Karen
09-13-2011, 12:32 AM
I also remember some Pet Talkers had family members in or near the World Trade Towers, and were worried because the cell towers were out and they could not reach them. Thankfully folks were all accounted for eventually, but it was a gut-wrenching time for many people.

wombat2u2004
09-13-2011, 01:46 AM
I was on the phone talking to my GF in Arkansas at the time. It had just come onto her news program, and she was telling me about it. I thought she was joking for a moment, but that soon changed.