PDA

View Full Version : Cyndi Lauper's national anthem flub at the U.S. Open

cassiesmom
09-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Did anyone else see Cyndi Lauper mess up the "Star Spangled Banner" at the U.S. Open before Serena Williams' match? I know it's not the easiest thing to sing. But this is the 9/11 anniversary weekend, so I would think she would have gone over the lyrics beforehand to be sure this wouldn't happen. I've heard there are people who want to change the national anthem to "America the Beautiful".

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Video-Cyndi-Lauper-messes-up-national-anthem-at?urn=ten-wp3242

sasvermont
09-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I thought there was a flub. I cannot believe the people singing don't know the words. What gives?

momcat
09-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Gee, I've known the words since elementary school and we won't get into how long ago that was! This is so sad :(

Karen
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
It could have just been nerves. Yes, even seasoned performers can flub the words for things that, if you asked them on a normal day, they can recite by heart.

aTailOf2Kitties
09-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I have noticed that a LOT of flubs occur at the exact same spot in the song. I think the "we" in that line makes you think back to the first "we" a couple lines before and causes momentary loss of place in the grand scheme of things.

kitten645
09-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I agree it's disrespectful. She isn't the superstar she once was. She prefomed in front of millions in the past. Give the lyrics a once over. This is what she does as a profession. It's not life or death but if I make an avoidable "flub" at work, there are consequences. No ones perfect but the national anthem on 9/11 warrants some practice. :rolleyes:

happylabs
09-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Well...it's not a perfect world. Everyone makes mistakes. I didn't see it though. I was irritated because tennis was on the other night and I didn't get to watch 48-hours. Why isn't tennis played on ESPN or one of the other sports channels?

lizbud
09-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Well...it's not a perfect world. Everyone makes mistakes. I didn't see it though. I was irritated because tennis was on the other night and I didn't get to watch 48-hours. Why isn't tennis played on ESPN or one of the other sports channels?

Amen to that. Same thing with Golf.

kitten645
09-12-2011, 11:28 PM
"Well...it's not a perfect world. Everyone makes mistakes. I didn't see it though. I was irritated because tennis was on the other night and I didn't get to watch 48-hours. Why isn't tennis played on ESPN or one of the other sports channels?"

Ditto that. I've always been irritated that sports is NOT news. Put it at the end of a news broadcast or on it's own network. Goodness knows there are enough channels! I fully understand the supporters want to see what happened and stats and whatnot but it doesn't directly affect everyones lives like news or weather. Just a pet peeve. LOL!

wombat2u2004
09-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Ditto that. I've always been irritated that sports is NOT news. Put it at the end of a news broadcast or on it's own network. Goodness knows there are enough channels! I fully understand the supporters want to see what happened and stats and whatnot but it doesn't directly affect everyones lives like news or weather. Just a pet peeve. LOL!

My peeve to. Why don't they have a separate "Playing with Balls" channel ??
I suppose tho, that they are like the rest of the media, they really don't give a damn what or when they shove whatever down our throats for the sake of "maximising their own income"

sasvermont
09-13-2011, 06:47 AM
I for one, do not have cable. Probably never will. I like the idea that I don't have to pay to watch most events when they are aired on the regular channels. Those of you with cable can switch to hundreds of channels... I cannot.... And for those without cable who cannot stand to watch golf, tennis, etc. well, go outside or listen to music. Or better yet, get cable!

No complaints here for the tennis / golf being aired on regular TV. So there!

Just kidding of course. In the scheme of things, it isn't that important to me.

Life goes on.;)

moosmom
09-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Did I hear right/ Someone told me that Bloomberg wouldn't allow "God" mentioned. What a disgrace and VERY disrespectful!!!

happylabs
09-13-2011, 10:14 AM
I for one, do not have cable. Probably never will. I like the idea that I don't have to pay to watch most events when they are aired on the regular channels. Those of you with cable can switch to hundreds of channels... I cannot.... And for those without cable who cannot stand to watch golf, tennis, etc. well, go outside or listen to music. Or better yet, get cable!

No complaints here for the tennis / golf being aired on regular TV. So there!

Just kidding of course. In the scheme of things, it isn't that important to me.

Life goes on.;)

LOL...I don't have cable either. I have DISH network. It is the biggest time waster ever but I cannot seem to break free from it. It's an addiction. :D

RICHARD
09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
My peeve to. Why don't they have a separate "Playing with Balls" channel ??"

It's called "Triple X" and sometimes you have to rent it to see it.:confused::eek::rolleyes:

I understand that not everyone is a sports fan, but I really do enjoy watching something that does not directly affect me, my life, etc.

Sports are a little escape from my existence.

The past few months I enjoyed the Little League World Series, the Women's World Cup and some of the Rugby games this past weekend.

I am too worried about politics, money, war, crime and all the other things in my life at times....For a few hours I can escape my humdrum exisitence and watch people compete in things that I used to be able to do or never could do.

---------------------

I was a little peeved about JEOPARDY and Wheel of Fortune not being on because of tennis, but in the grand scheme of things?

Wom,
There is a "Playing with FUZZY Balls" Network.

It's called the tennis channel?:D

wombat2u2004
09-16-2011, 11:09 PM
It's called "Triple X" and sometimes you have to rent it to see it.:confused::eek::rolleyes:

I think I seen that one. Wasn't it renamed "Debbie Does District Colombia" ?:p

Lady's Human
09-17-2011, 07:36 AM
No, Wom, that was the House ethics committee hearing on C-Span.

wombat2u2004
09-17-2011, 09:57 AM
No, Wom, that was the House ethics committee hearing on C-Span.

Right. I thought I recognised a few of those fellows. There was Elliott, Arnold, a few other assorted congressmen. :D

wombat2u2004
09-17-2011, 10:01 AM
I for one, do not have cable. Probably never will. I like the idea that I don't have to pay to watch most events when they are aired on the regular channels.

Me to. We only pay once, everytime we buy something at the supermarket.
There ain't no discounts if you have cable.....ya pay double.

K9soul
09-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I've had moments when I was flustered/stressed that I suddenly couldn't recall my own zip code when I was asked or gave it with the last two numbers transposed. Celebrities are human with nerves and stress and sleepless nights just like everyone else. I don't know why we expect perfection from them if we don't of ourselves.

Bonny
09-18-2011, 07:24 AM
I wonder as a safety net, a music stand with the actual sheet music for the anthem would be a good idea to have on hand. Maybe thinking about hitting some of those high notes is on a persons mind while singing the anthem.