PDA

View Full Version : TV Show Titles

Freedom
09-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Lizbud's thread, 'who are the Kardashians' got me posting this. Been thinking about this for ages.

To me it seems the newer shows have titles totally unrelated to the series. "How I Met Your Mother," who is "I", who is "your mother" and who is the kid?!
"Rules of Engagement" - um, they are married for gosh sakes!

I've seen both shows, wasn't impressed by either one, neither by the acting nor by the writing. Pretty poor, IMO. But for the life of me I can't figure out what the title has to do with the program.

"The Big Bang Theory" is fun to watch. Still, I don't think that title has much to do with the show, either. Love the intro song. Took me several shows to figure out most of them are working, I thought they were a bunch of colleges kids living in apts. (except the one living w/ his mom). Geesh, did that have to be a secret or something?! I know "Sheldon" won an award, the acting is great on his part.

I could name several others. Anyone else think titles are off?

Karen
09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I think the title "Big Bang Theory" is appropriate, given that several of the characters are physicists, and astrophysicists at that ...

I have not seen the other shows, so cannot really comment on the appropriateness of the titles!

pomtzu
09-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Can't help you there - I never watch any of them. I normally stick to the channels like Discovery, Nat Geo, History, etc. The only thing I watch on the network channels anymore is the news and shows like Dateline, 48 Hours Mystery, 20/20, etc. :)

Scooter's Mom
09-08-2011, 07:47 PM
"Rules of Engagement" - um, they are married for gosh sakes!

There is an engaged couple in the show, so the title works for me.

I really enjoy the show. It's cute.

sparks19
09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
There is an engaged couple in the show, so the title works for me.

I really enjoy the show. It's cute.

Right. The young couple is engaged and the married couple is kind of lile their messed up mentors for marriage lol

Plus.... I LOVE patrick warburton. He is so hilarious. He is just so dry and has a great voice.

Freedom
09-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I think the title "Big Bang Theory" is appropriate, given that several of the characters are physicists, and astrophysicists at that ...

Yup, but doesn't have much to do with the story line. The title refers to their work, where as the story has to do with scientists living in thei own world, and not having much in common with the rest of the word, lol. I really enjoy that show! (Just saw it again)

Just don't get the others at all.

Scooter's Mom
09-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Right. The young couple is engaged and the married couple is kind of lile their messed up mentors for marriage lol

Plus.... I LOVE patrick warburton. He is so hilarious. He is just so dry and has a great voice.

I don't know what it is about him, but I love Patrick Warburton, too! He's not my dream guy by any means, but I adore him! And I love the lady that portrays his wife, Megyn Price is her name.

One show that gets me is "Family Guy" - because it's such a NON FAMILY show. Ugh.

Taz_Zoee
09-12-2011, 09:48 AM
On How I Met Your Mother the whole show is Ted talking to his children and telling them stories of how he met their mother. Only we have not found out who their mother is yet. Usually each episode starts and/or ends with the two early teenage children sitting on the couch and Ted's voice talking to them.
I love this show! As well as Big Bany Theory. Never have watched Rules of Engagement.....or at least a full episode of it.