PDA

View Full Version : I always wanted an island home....

Puckstop31
09-08-2011, 09:10 AM
And now I have it! LOL

We live in Lancaster County, PA. If you have seen the news you have probably seen what is going on. EPIC flooding. Thankfully our home is on some of the highest ground for miles so our house is OK.... We just can't go anywhere. There are only two roads out and they are both well flooded over.

Our poor pups are BUMMED. They do not like water, so they are just moping around. LOL

Prayers/vibes for all of us in this mess right now.

Lady's Human
09-08-2011, 09:18 AM
The Susuquehanna up here in the southern tier is on pace to outdo Agnes.

The little creek that runs behind our house had whitecaps and is up to about 75 yards wide.

Puckstop31
09-08-2011, 09:26 AM
The Susquehanna at Marietta is predicted to crest at 64.5 on Saturday. That beats Agnes by a foot.

Lady's Human
09-08-2011, 09:29 AM
There is probably enough of the volleyball nets in Otsenengo Park above water to get some water volleyball in, any takers? :p

Karen
09-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Even to the East we're getting more rain - nothing like you folks, but I am sure Texas wishes we could divert some from NY and PA down there! Get those big industrial fans going?

Puck, you can try telling your poor dogs what my Grandma told people: "It's just rain, you aren't made of sugar, you're not gonna melt!"

Isn't it funny how some dogs can drink the stuff by the bucketfull, but when it falls from the sky on them, they think it is dog-eating acid!

pomtzu
09-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Good wishes being sent your way, Brian. Hope things dry out soon.

This weather is crazy. I woke up this a.m. to the tv station in Phila reporting on nothing but the flooding and torrential rains over night in that area, and the same in the Baltimore area. I fully expected to see the yard flooded when I got up, but we didn't have a drop of rain last night - everything was dry! Someone must have been holding a giant umbrella over central DE, since all around us got socked. That on top of all the other storms, was just not good news. It's raining now, but just a light rain.

Stay safe out there everyone - and no driving thru standing water.

Puckstop31
09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Karen... Clearly you have never met my hounds. LOL I'd get that "words....words....words....COME ON, say FOOD already..." look. We love them, they love us, but they were not blessed with the brightest doggie minds. :)

Ellie... If you looked at the maps, this weather is/was a solid, south to north line, right along the Susquehanna. Weird. So it makes sense you are OK, which should command a "for ONCE!" from you. LOL

At least I can still work, as long as the power and internet stay on. :)

Karen
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Karen... Clearly you have never met my hounds. LOL I'd get that "words....words....words....COME ON, say FOOD already..." look. We love them, they love us, but they were not blessed with the brightest doggie minds. :)

Ayup - and explaining human logic to a dog is a dicey proposition at best! But they give you a big ol' lean, and ya gotta love 'em!

lizbud
09-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Oh I don't know about that, they got their way didn't they? :D

Do you have a boat to get around in if you really have an emergency?

Puckstop31
09-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Oh I don't know about that, they got their way didn't they? :D

Do you have a boat to get around in if you really have an emergency?

Of course they did... They normally do. LOL Its not REALLY 'my' house afterall, eh? Dogs and ladies first. I know the rules. LOL

Don't think ill need a boat, we are on pretty high ground. There is no visible water from my house, as we are pretty much on the peak area of a big hill complex. The trouble is going anywhere as both roads out of our community go either near the river (a complete wash out and will be for a few days) or have a low area. I should be able to get out via the back road either later today or tomorrow morning. It depends on if the rain has really stopped, it has for now it seems.

One of our neighbors is a nurse. I saw her as I was trying to leave t his morning, she was coming home from her night shift. She said New Danville Pike (the main road out) is a total, 100% wash out. She had to get home via the back way and almost didn't make it. It was still raining hard at that point, so I did not even bother.... I might have made it to the office, getting home would have been a challenge. I'd rather be here with my family, just in case.

In a new development... Our sanitary sewer treatment plant is next to the river. We might lose our ability to flush the can soon. Joy. :)

happylabs
09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Major flooding here in central Pennsylvania, Williamsport, Montoursville, Hughesville, Muncy, Bloomsburg. I am safe at my house, just water rushing into the basement which the pump is kicking back out. Praying it is able to keep up. I was a nervous wreck all night. We have had about 8 to 9 inches in my area.

Glad you are high up there in Lancaster. I am tired of this water issue in my basement every time we get rain. Need a new plan.

pomtzu
09-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I am tired of this water issue in my basement every time we get rain. Need a new plan.

Have you ever considered an indoor swimming pool? :eek:

Seriously tho - the flooding that is happening right now is so devastating to so many areas. My heart goes out to all that have been affected by it. So many people have lost so much, and most have no flood insurance. I'd definitely be moving to higher ground. So many people have been thru it so many times, yet they continue to rebuild in the same spot. So sad!

sparks19
09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
actually we have TWO nurses on our cul de sac :) the lady beside us and then the lady beside her lol

Brian has very cautiously ventured out to see if the back way onto the main road is open

lvpets2002
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
:) Thanks Karen for remembering us.. Yes yes TEXAS would Loves some much needed Rain.. We have got Fires going everywhere.. However it is a bit Cooler Temps now.. You All up East try to stay dry && dont be swimming in the streets..

Even to the East we're getting more rain - nothing like you folks, but I am sure Texas wishes we could divert some from NY and PA down there! Get those big industrial fans going?

Puckstop31
09-08-2011, 12:59 PM
actually we have TWO nurses on our cul de sac :) the lady beside us and then the lady beside her lol

Brian has very cautiously ventured out to see if the back way onto the main road is open

Made it back.... Just. The bridge over the Conestoga on the back side of New Danville is normally about 20 feet above the water. Its about 5 feet now. Ugh. Glad I went out when I did.

Grace
09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
This is what's left of Tropical Storm Lee - isn't it?

We've had lots of rain the past two days - nothing like you all out East. Our weatherman described it an offshoot of Lee. This thing turned left, instead of right, and now is wandering around the Mid-West.

Freedom
09-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Top of the Hill, sounds about right for Puckstop31, lol!!!!

Stay safe, guys. Have a back up plan for if you can't flush?

sparks19
09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Top of the Hill, sounds about right for Puckstop31, lol!!!!

Stay safe, guys. Have a back up plan for if you can't flush?

well.... the dogs dug a bunch of holes in the backyard :D so we could always just do what they do lol

Puckstop31
09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
As long as the heavy rain is over, which is kinda up in the air (pun intended), the river ('our' river that is) has crested and is on its way down.

The Conestoga River crested at 21.3 feet in Lancaster, PA. Flood stage is 11 ft (in most places) so needless to say, its a mess out there. The Holtwood Dam on the Susquehanna has been opened wide and then evacuated. The last pic I saw of it, water might be over the top of the dam and superstructure. The worst is yet to come for the Susquehanna.

Apparently, Hurricane Katia is helping break up the rain. A positive Hurricane... Woot. :)

Hope all affected are well.

phesina
09-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Prayers and good wishes for all of you folks in the path of these raging rivers and other storms.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Lady's Human
09-09-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=CB&Dato=20110908&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=109080812&Ref=PH

Agnes was a piker.

I love looking u pat the river while I'm driving in to work. As far as I know, everyone I work with is okay, one had to be rescued from his house (damned stubborn Italian :p) two co-workers and their families are in shelters, and the church is okay.

THe highway about 1/2 miles from the Church:

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Castle-Creek-Flooding-129422338.html