PDA

View Full Version : help help help

lovemyshiba
11-08-2002, 08:25 PM
Ok, we have her-- http://web2.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=1124071&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=3dcc4b9e250e2294&display=&preview=&row=0

just on a trial basis--for the weekend to see how she and Kito can get along--tips please!!!!
She's docile and quiet, he is trying to attack her and barking and stuff--what can we do to ensure that they can get along????

aly
11-08-2002, 09:24 PM
Has he ever lived with a dog before? Does he ever play with other dogs?

Take them to a park so they are on neutral territory. Let them play and walk around for awhile together, then walk them back into your house together. That way Kito doesn't feel that a new dog is invading his space.. he'll rather feel like he's walking in with a friend.

Ack, my foster doggy need to run outside.. I'll continue this post in a few minutes ..

lbaker
11-08-2002, 09:31 PM
ease yourself, you are just going to make them more anxious....love them both but just chill. slooooly and gently let them realize you love them both and they both have some special times with you...each one special.........
Laurie

hi Aly

aly
11-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Ok sorry.

Anyway, can you explain more what he's doing? Can they be together at all or will he just not settle down when she's there? One important thing to do is not reprimand him for correcting her. If they are fighting though, definately break it up. Just don't scold him if he gives her a growl or snap to show her who's boss.

(Hi Laurie!!! hehe)

delidog
11-08-2002, 09:48 PM
Like Laurie said....relax a bit...they can sense your tension and stress...let them sniff,play,etc...just keep an eye on them...feed them seperately...so the original dog isn't threatened...set their 2 beds up...and give both lots but seperate attention....
Enjoy your new furkid...she is beautiful!!!!
Don't anticipate trouble....
just love them both!!!

lovemyshiba
11-08-2002, 10:40 PM
You're right--I know they can sense my anxiety.
Kito is just snapping at her, and she is afraid--tail between the legs and runs over to me and puts her head in my lap.
We introduced them outside and walked around for a while, and brought them in, but so far they haven't both been together, either off leash or not crated. She's super in the crate though, for tonight we'll probably crate her outside of the bedroom and keep him in here so he knows he is still loved.
He really snaps at her--scary

11-09-2002, 01:16 PM
All that sniffing is okay , you know ...! They see each other as rivals ; the more you let them learn to know each other , the sooner they will be the greatest friends !! Just stay in the neighboorhood , to avoid any "accidents" ... http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/animal/1118.gif

ps. I had this with my cats too .. lots of hissing and raised fur ; but now they cannot live without each other anymore !